Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What are the chances we'll see something new on SMT5 today? I don't see anyone talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The announcement tweet for the Direct said that it's focusing on games coming out in the first half of 2021, and since I assume SMTV is coming later than that, I'm not really expecting to see anything. I'd really, really like to, though.

I'm at least hoping for a western release date for the Nocturne remaster.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Since we didn't get any SMT V news in the direct today, i'm gonna share this tweet instead

https://twitter.com/Kamo_Pasta/status/1362119159560085505

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i didn't really expect SMTV news but a 3HD date would have been nice

one more Direct rejected

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Homora Gaykemi posted:

one more Direct rejected

when the thousand years have expired
smt 5 will be released
judgement has come to you!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
OMG Haru drives as crazy as she fights, hah

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Junpei posted:

OMG Haru drives as crazy as she fights, hah

So the Mona Bus almost running the team over wasn't spite, it was just Haru being physically incapable of comprehending speeds below 85 mph.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i didn't really expect SMTV news but a 3HD date would have been nice

one more Direct rejected

Oh yeah I completely forgot this was not announced

Given how JRPG heavy the direct was that's extremely odd

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Strikers is good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Strikers is real good yes.

Gold bar.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Strikers is real good yes.

Gold bar.

senditback

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Natsume's dungeon is sending me. Everyone is so done with all the cliche JRPG/light novel stuff and nobody has any respect for anything in it, and it's great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So this is a neat video that dropped into my Youtube recommends. A professional dancer ranking all the characters in the Persona dancing games based on how hard their routines are to perform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlA2yiSwMd8

I just thought it was really neat, since I always kinda just dismissed those games as pointless cash-grabs with decent remixes. But apparently, the actual performances are pretty legit, they work really well for the characters, as well as being solid dances in their own right. Some of them deceptively so; I thought Adachi's looked easy, but his routine is entirely based around being really good at something extremely difficult.

And also that Junpei loving MURDERS people on the dance floor, holy poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the Persona Dancing games are pretty fun rhythm games and reasonably high-effort. Persona 4 Dancing even has an actual plot. It's a very dumb plot in which the Investigation Team have to dance to calm down angry shadows who want to kill the members of an idol group headed up by Rise's rival/friend Kanami, but it's an actual plot. And it's canon. Each dance ends with the character summoning their persona, who plays a rad instrumental solo over Reach Out to the Truth. They dropped that for the 3 and 5 Dancing games but I always enjoyed it.

Persona 3 and 5 Dancing don't have a plot at all. Their stories are, without any joking or oversimplification: Margaret won't stop bragging about how her Velvet Room guest defeated a god by dancing, which pisses off Elizabeth, Caroline, and Justine. Each one goes "actually our Velvet Room guest would be the best dancer" so Elizabeth and Caroline/Justine decide to have a competition to see whose guest is, in Elizabeth's actual words, "a swag and dope baller." This is also canon (though they also take place in a dream and the characters don't remember them after waking up so, like, it doesn't actually matter that they're canon).

They do have social link-type scenes, though, with characters actually interacting with each other and not just with the protagonist.

Gonna have to watch that video later. I've watched some of her edited playthrough videos that were recommended on Youtube and she's pretty chill. I know she's actually learned and performed some of the dances from the games herself, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 20, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Looking at Strikers (3 more days before it releases here) and is it basically Persona Musou? Does it have Fusion or an equivalent system?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Artelier posted:

Looking at Strikers (3 more days before it releases here) and is it basically Persona Musou? Does it have Fusion or an equivalent system?

It does. It's not really a traditional musou though, it has a linear story presentation and flows like a normal persona game just without the daily life segments.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Artelier posted:

It's got some musou DNA, but structurally it's more Persona than musou. The combat is definitely "fight big hordes of enemies in action combat" but it has dungeon-like maps rather than area control and things like that. It's a Persona action-RPG with musou elements, is maybe the best way to describe it.

And yes, it has fusion for Joker's personas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Artelier posted:

The musou regulars hate it because it's *not* musou, if that's your tipping point.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone, I'm in! Musou's progression is a bit too "aimless" for me, so hearing about the linear structure is great! And I looooooooooove Fusion

EDIT: Oof just saw the price, maaaaaaybe I'll wait for a sale. But I'm definitely playing it at some point!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 20, 2021

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Tae posted:

The musou regulars hate it because it's *not* musou, if that's your tipping point.

This isn't my tipping point, but I think you just convinced me to go PS vs Switch. I LOVED having musou on the go with FE Warriors, so I was hoping for more of the same. Everything I've seen in trailers/reviews looks amazing, so I think I'll enjoy it whatever platform I get it on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Artelier posted:

EDIT: Oof just saw the price, maaaaaaybe I'll wait for a sale. But I'm definitely playing it at some point!
You might be waiting a long time.

But also, :yikes:, same.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's for the digital deluxe edition, the normal one comes out next week because they wanted to fleece people who couldn't wait five days.
Well unless everyone is :yikes:ing at it being $60 I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PMush Perfect posted:

You might be waiting a long time.

But also, :yikes:, same.

Non-nintendo games go on sale more often, and there's a PC version of Strikers so steam sales eventually.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something throwing me off in P5S is for some reason interacting with NPCs is bound to the circle button but every other confirm prompt is on X.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just realized that the scene in Persona 3 where Mitsuru called the cops because she thought someone had broken in and ransacked Junpei's dorm room only to bump into him and learn that, no, he's just a slob is basically the platonic ideal of the "drat, you live like this?" meme. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I just realized that the scene in Persona 3 where Mitsuru called the cops because she thought someone had broken in and ransacked Junpei's dorm room only to bump into him and learn that, no, he's just a slob is basically the platonic ideal of the "drat, you live like this?" meme. :allears:
It’s also an excellent moment of characterization for both of them, and one of the little things that makes me love them a tiny bit more than the P4 or P5 cast. You get so many passing moments of them interacting with each other that you just couldn’t if you didn’t all live in the same building.

This was very good. I appreciate that the “they’re bad dancers but you will never be this cute” tier consisted of Nanako and Fuuka.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Strikers is good but it is very dumb that they made leaving the dungeon have absolutely no negative effects and full restore your party without just going ahead and adding a “restore your party” button at checkpoints to save you going through those loading screens.

I’m happy it’s an option because oh boy is SP scarce as gently caress right now but if they know it’s a mechanic and they don’t penalise you for using it then just make it a button and build it in properly.

People who want a ~TrUe GaMeR cHaLlEnGe~ could just not press the button and the rest of us would save a few minutes of our lives.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There is technically an incredibly minor negative consequence to leaving the dungeon in that the random encounters respawn, but... Yeah I agree with you there should've just been a button you press to fully recover.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

There is technically an incredibly minor negative consequence to leaving the dungeon in that the random encounters respawn, but... Yeah I agree with you there should've just been a button you press to fully recover.
Just do the Dark Souls thing and have them respawn automatically when you rest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FYI, there is now a Persona-specific megathread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959827

It seemed like a good time to make one, with this being a big anniversary year for the Persona series, and with a couple of big SMT releases coming this year as well. If you want to talk a bunch specifically about Persona and its spinoffs, please come and post!

There's also a separate Persona 5 Strikers thread here, for when that game's full release comes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959499

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just as a FYI the better comparison for Strikers isn't musou but Tales of (x). It has a lot more in common with those then with a Musou game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Just as a FYI the better comparison for Strikers isn't musou but Tales of (x). It has a lot more in common with those then with a Musou game.

I think this is actually the first thing I've read about the game that makes me really want to play it honestly

I like a good musou game sometimes, but I LOVE the tails series

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
without watching a 30 minute video - P3 and 5 dancing are bad rhythm games, the choreography is not great and honestly even remixed the songs don't translate well to something you'd dance to, though the few bangers that are there are enough to justify the soundtracks at least.

Haru's the best dancer and it's not even close, but that's almost unfair because it's ballet/contemporary vs everything else. so the real winners are Futaba because she can actually follow a beat, Morgana because how the gently caress am i supposed to grade a cartoon cat with two inch limbs against other dancers, and Junpei cause he just slays (though one of his songs is just the worst by far and he air guitars through a bunch of it. in fairness, if that track played at a club i'd change clubs altogether.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji is ironically the best dancer because I think he actually doesn't know how to dance. Poor kid just grabbed whatever white boy moves from whatever media he saw and tried to mix them up. I'm not even sure he has the beat down.

Which is probably more realistic than believing that Junpei actually has moves.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ryuji is ironically the best dancer because I think he actually doesn't know how to dance. Poor kid just grabbed whatever white boy moves from whatever media he saw and tried to mix them up. I'm not even sure he has the beat down.

Which is probably more realistic than believing that Junpei actually has moves.

In all honesty, I feel like Junpei's the only one that dances better than it seems he should, but even with him I can imagine him secretly having some moves that he's practiced because it'd TOTALLY get him to score at the club, just you wait.

Ryuji, Kanji, and Shinjiro all definitely have the vibe of 'can't dance for poo poo but that's not gonna stop 'em trying'. Which fits them all in different ways. Ryuji is definitely just trying to replicate moves he only kinda remembers from music videos, Kanji has a self-made routine of what he assumes 'slam dancing' is without actually checking, and Shinjiro is just mixing some fighting moves and dramatics to look like he knows what he's doing until people stop watching.

As an aside, honorable mention to Akihiko for exactly the right amount of enthusiasm mixed with technique. His whole routine, with the constant defaulting back to the boxing stance, definitely gives the idea that he only sorta knows what he's doing, and only sorta wants to dance. It feels like he's just trying to wait out the song, which is exactly how I imagine Akihiko would respond when someone tries to get him to dance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The P4 cast are all apparently trained by Rise who incorporated their personal styles with whatever dance skills they already knew. Kanji apparently did sumo stomps or something when he showers, so Rise tried her best. Same with Naoto apparently having taken a little ballet as a kid.

I feel like the P3 cast just blends in the background the most; aside from Akihiko, I couldn't really tell you anything interesting about the way most of them dance. P4 all have their specific style, and P5 just has enough individual charm between the cast members. Makoto is probably the most generic dancer but even then she does okay.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Finished Devil Survivor 2 yesterday (the Septictantrum arc at least, I'll come back for Triangulum later). I think my feelings are very much the same as what I've already read in the thread. A huge improvement in all areas over the original, except the story. I didn't hate the story, Polaris was a nice change from the regular SMT big-bads if a little thematically vague, but it just wasn't anywhere near as tight as the first game and the character roster was a little bloated.

I think Daichi was probably my favorite character just for how real he was. Fumi in a definite close second for being the complete antithesis of Daichi and yet every bit as real. Keita in hard last, because go to hell Keita, I regret saving you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I personally thought that the plot, or at least the pacing, was better in 2, because in 1 you spend like 3-4 days just wandering around surviving, and the actual plot is very backloaded, whereas in 2 they have JP's as a vehicle to drip feed plot to the player so you get things a bit more evenly over the seven-day period.

Like, the first you even hear about the whole thing with the Bel demons fighting is on Day 3, right before you go fight Beldr, right? You find out about the Septentriones at the end of Day 1 in 2, right after you've killed the first one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the characters in 2 more but there's definitely a couple who just kinda exist. im pretty sure keita only exists to explain how saving people works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished my rerun of SMT Apocalypse. Final boss Vishnu Flynn was way harder than I remembered, so many status effects. What a great spot to end the game with, a battle between two chosen Godslayers.