Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

:siren: NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-XXDApJSlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Oh, it's so painful to see those two ultras eat it for no reason at all, could have turned the tide.

Been watching the ASTL through those links with unofficial commentary (thanks again!), between that and all the stuff Artosis puts out we seem to have a real smorgasbord of BW content this month.

One thing I noticed in quite a few of the ZvZ games was a rise in spore colony play. I've seen games before where someone goes for a ling rush, doesn't get enough done to end the game, and then makes spores as a desperate attempt to hang on until they can get a spire out. But this seems to be more of a plan from the start: take an expansion and focus on economy. Two spores per base ends up being impregnable to your opponents initial muta force, you still have an uncatchable lead in income despite the cost of defence in term of resources and drones, then the tables seem to turn rapidly once your spire is out. I still don't quite understand though - is it more situational than I'm realising?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Oh man, I have to say I was getting bored of the sc2 meta so I decided to pick up sc:r to give it a shot again. I avoided playing when it first came out because I didn't want to give up the qol improvements that came with sc2. But I have to say coming back to sc1 after ~15 years is such a breath of fresh air. There's actual distinct phases of early,mid, and late game again not short bursts of harass before it's death ball vs death ball. Engagements are long drawn out affairs instead of being over in 30seconds like sc2. Yeah there's still clunkiness, but the actual strategy and gameplay mechanics out weigh being able to do all my production from hotkeys.

I know, I'm not saying anything new as people have been saying this for years but I feel like I finally woke up and started to understand why people have been preaching sc1 for so long. I still enjoy watching sc2 but I get way more enjoyment out of playing sc1 casually vs sc2 now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maps way better in 1 for sure too. WC3 had better maps too. So many sc2 maps just feel samey. Not good enough to say definitively but it feels that way

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

I've also recently started playing BW again. Is there a goon discord or anything?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Another fun Artosis cast to highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mU13_FrKY

One of the players makes a very cheeky move late in the game, and the rest of the action hinges on whether they get away with it. Can you spot it happening before Artosis?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's hop a drone? Much too early for overlord drop

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"Hopping" a worker is a trick where you exploit the special pathing and collision behaviour workers receive during mining commands, letting you clip through a mineral patch which would otherwise block access to the area behind. Some new maps include mineral patches with this specific trick in mind, to create a barrier that only workers can pass through. Here's a technical how-to:

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/Sliding_through_Mineral_Lines

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

a god drat idiot posted:

I've also recently started playing BW again. Is there a goon discord or anything?

There is a discord, @syn post a link!

I recently installed BW too. and I've lost the first 10 ladder games I played.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BW ladder seems to start at Diamond league if you were to use Starcraft2 system. Not only is the game super hard, but everyone playing it is also super good at it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Heavy_D posted:

Another fun Artosis cast to highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mU13_FrKY

One of the players makes a very cheeky move late in the game, and the rest of the action hinges on whether they get away with it. Can you spot it happening before Artosis?

Artosis is a great caster but when I watch him stream I am 50 percent laughing at his angriness and 50 percent worried he might do something stupid.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

a god drat idiot posted:

https://discord.gg/2WN9ZGz2

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
This thread was meant to go to Retro Games, I have fixed that now and re-opened.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
awesome ty!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOPou_ITv8

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Time to bring back the rip zeez team league, where we struggle to get a single team together. :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I, for one, would gladly join some kind of a team that focused on learning, sort of like the tutorial stuff in SC2. I think I only got good* at StarCraft because SC2 holds your hand in the campaign and does have MP focused tutorials, whereas all BW has is the campaign which stops holding your hand at a certain point and if you weren't paying attention you are suddenly waaaay behind the curve, and custom games and...yeah.

*good is doing a lot of heavy lifting, I can survive MP games but I don't think I have ever won anything outside of a 3v3

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
I'd be up for some brood war. Last time i actually played somewhat regularly was in the early 2000'S though. I think around 2007 (?) or so there were some people from this site i played a couple of games with again, but i had become pretty rusty back then already. So i yes, some beginner style sound good. I'd imagine I am probably around 50 APM now, if that.
The ArtosisCast videos are really good btw, thanks for mentioning those here.
(Btw. I just mistakenly slowed the playback down to 0.5 speed and it's fairly hilarious how incredibly drunk he sounds that way, give it a shot if you're as easily amused as me)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I encourage everyone to get broodwar if you haven't played it in 20 years (like me). I went 0-9 or 0-10 on ladder. Finally was able to beat the computer on a 1v1.

Winning is so much more satisfying than SC2. In SC2 there are players who are SO bad, all you have to do is make a unit and you win. Brood War makes you earn every win.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Round-up of some highlights for the week from comp. Brood War, for those of you just joining us in the thread's new home:

The AfreecaTV Starcraft Team League is heading towards its conclusion. The format for the semi-finals is a series of knockouts, starting with the teams who came third and fourth in the league stage - the winner of which plays the second place team for the chance to play in the final.

First round play-off with unofficial commentary: Team Snow vs Team Larva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFwuiTNIOw

Second round play-off: Team Snow vs Team Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFwuiTNIOw

The best casts at the moment are coming out of the ArtosisCasts accounts. Here's a game I particularly enjoyed, being on a knife-edge for the entire time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKB8XYqsvw4

Finally, you may have missed that the show matches from BlizzConline pitted a team of top players from BW against a team of top SC2 players in a series of team games and FFAs that alternates between the two games. The BW FFA is a particular highlight for the incredibly goofy strat that eventually pays off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmmpo5PznWA

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Thanks for that, especially for bringing the Blizzcon thing to my attention!

I'd recommend this really fun game from the ASTL: Hero vs JYJ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2XuwcFDTcc&t=1902s
This SayanSc dude is a fairly good caster, too!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

anchorpunch posted:

Thanks for that, especially for bringing the Blizzcon thing to my attention!

I'd recommend this really fun game from the ASTL: Hero vs JYJ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2XuwcFDTcc&t=1902s
This SayanSc dude is a fairly good caster, too!

Wow, that's a crazy game!

I'm now off to watch the ASTL Grand Final, so can't say how good it yet, but Team Flash ought to bring a high standard of play to the table...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHhTmoR1eA

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

No :cripes:

https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/570132-saying-goodbye-to-asl-english

quote:

Dear Fans,

It’s unfortunate for us today to announce that the ASL will no longer be supported in English.

It has been the most exciting adventure for us to share the ASL with fans all over the world.
We thank you for all of your love and support over the years.

The ASL will continue and can be watched at afreecatv.com/afstar1.

Communities and English casters are still allowed, and encouraged, to broadcast the ASL to their own fans through our clean feed on their AfreecaTV Channels.
If you are interested, please contact us here!

Thank you,
AfreecaTV

Keegers fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 3, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

what the gently caress

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Been suspicious ever since Artosis starting his own casting channel. Something certainly prompted him to start doing Brood War casting on his own time. Now we know.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Maaan I'm gonna miss tastosis.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what the gently caress

I suspect the English cast wasn't making enough money

still sad though

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Elyv posted:

I suspect the English cast wasn't making enough money

I'm still not sure how it was meant to make money, what Korean advertisers are paying for an English-speaking audience?

Elyv posted:

still sad though

Agreed, the Blizzcon matches were a reminder of the Tastosis power, who knew it would be the (effective) end of an era...

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Artosis talked about this last night on his stream. He basically said that last season both he and Tasteless took big pay cuts, so it wasn't a money issue. Also the English stream was getting good viewership.

Tasteless and he are in discussions to keep casting ASL, just in a less professional manor (like not in a studio, just on their own). One of the big issues is ASL is broadcast through Afreeca, and they are both Twitch partners which forbids personal streaming channels on other platforms.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
The whole thing seems super weird. I can understand potential issues with the income stream. I mean, obviously Afreeca isn't going to do an English stream out of the kindness of their hearts. But the cost of doing the English stream had to have been super negligible. Once you are doing the Korean stream your costs are basically another fixed camera and the salary costs for your two casters. They didn't even get their own observer, just piggybacked off the Korean one.

Viewership seemed quite high, even for the live broadcasts, so the market is clearly there. Particularly given the caster pay cut that's been mentioned, it really feels like if it was an income issue, they could have solved it by just picking up a few foreign sponsors to use on the English stream. It's not like there are no companies that want to sponsor popular eSports casts.

I guess maybe they just want to focus internally on Korea and think the international markets aren't worth the time and money? That seems short sighted though. If nothing else, you'd think there's be an element of national pride that so many foreigners are so interested in a bunch of Koreans playing video games.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Are there any custom ais for bw and/or are they good/worth playing against? I very rarely have trouble against the comp though sometimes they'll 4pool me and if you haven't built for it lol you're gonna lose to the comp it seems

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are there any custom ais for bw and/or are they good/worth playing against? I very rarely have trouble against the comp though sometimes they'll 4pool me and if you haven't built for it lol you're gonna lose to the comp it seems
https://www.schnail.com

artosis playing them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAhf-g6qND0

I don't think they support scr which is kinda lame but understandable.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
https://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/comments/klw8vx/how_to_play_remastered_offline_better_ai/

Somebody replaced the default ai scripts with some sensible build orders

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Khorne posted:

I don't think they support scr which is kinda lame but understandable.

What's the technical reason for this?

Also laughing at that vid because there's a heated argument over whether or not it's scr or not

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the technical reason for this?
AI development started in the mid '00s. Blizzard/community haven't done bindings for scr as far as I know, and there are likely other technical reasons like bnet2.0 integration.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 5, 2021

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Artosis talked about this last night on his stream. He basically said that last season both he and Tasteless took big pay cuts, so it wasn't a money issue. Also the English stream was getting good viewership.

Tasteless and he are in discussions to keep casting ASL, just in a less professional manor (like not in a studio, just on their own). One of the big issues is ASL is broadcast through Afreeca, and they are both Twitch partners which forbids personal streaming channels on other platforms.

Maybe i am way off about it, but it seems to me they should easily be able to raise a substantial funding for their casting. I would assume most of the fans are olds now, so most have jobs and disposable income. It was nice to be able to watch it for free, but I would gladly pay 50 Euros or so per season, if i had too. Even if there were only a few thousand interested people left and even if only some of them would actually pay for the casts, it doesn' t seem too unrealistic to finance this i a way that might even get afreeca back on board.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Shame. I really liked watching Artosis and Tasteless cast ASL. At least Artosis is now uploading his own casts.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

anchorpunch posted:

Maybe i am way off about it, but it seems to me they should easily be able to raise a substantial funding for their casting. I would assume most of the fans are olds now, so most have jobs and disposable income. It was nice to be able to watch it for free, but I would gladly pay 50 Euros or so per season, if i had too. Even if there were only a few thousand interested people left and even if only some of them would actually pay for the casts, it doesn' t seem too unrealistic to finance this i a way that might even get afreeca back on board.

I don't have a ton of disposable income these days, so I don't know I'd be able to drop $50 a season, but I'd definitely pay $20 or $30 without hesitation. I'm actually a little surprised an English cast subscription wasn't floated. Or maybe it was and it was rejected.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Lemony posted:

The whole thing seems super weird. I can understand potential issues with the income stream. I mean, obviously Afreeca isn't going to do an English stream out of the kindness of their hearts. But the cost of doing the English stream had to have been super negligible. Once you are doing the Korean stream your costs are basically another fixed camera and the salary costs for your two casters. They didn't even get their own observer, just piggybacked off the Korean one.

Viewership seemed quite high, even for the live broadcasts, so the market is clearly there. Particularly given the caster pay cut that's been mentioned, it really feels like if it was an income issue, they could have solved it by just picking up a few foreign sponsors to use on the English stream. It's not like there are no companies that want to sponsor popular eSports casts.

I guess maybe they just want to focus internally on Korea and think the international markets aren't worth the time and money? That seems short sighted though. If nothing else, you'd think there's be an element of national pride that so many foreigners are so interested in a bunch of Koreans playing video games.

1. The cost of doing a second language stream with studio space is not super negligible. It is actually quite expensive. You're looking at an additional sound engineer, AD, camera, possibly cameraperson, graphics engineer, graphics package, caster costs, etc. Most of those are per day. It's a big increase in costs even with "pay cuts".

2. It doesn't matter if "the market" is there if there's no path to monetization. Viewers are not intrinsically customers.

3.Korean SC scene is largely unaware of and entirely disconnected from the foreign audience/fans

4. ASL would have been content to cut the english cast years ago

edit: 5. There are no real foreign sponsors looking to throw money at the english brood war viewer scene

Lemony posted:

I don't have a ton of disposable income these days, so I don't know I'd be able to drop $50 a season, but I'd definitely pay $20 or $30 without hesitation. I'm actually a little surprised an English cast subscription wasn't floated. Or maybe it was and it was rejected.

There are no experts on the English market working on ASL who could even put together such a thing, much less promote it. There's not really a reason they'd do something like this just to "keep the English cast afloat". They are a business and they are trying to make money and there's no way this would ever have been a meaningful enough profit center to fully develop.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I started watching the Artosis casts on his caster channel yesterday and they're really good! I was afraid it devolve into the salt and sarcasm he's sometimes known for but no, even when protoss does the PvT builds he hates he treats it neutrally and is super good at covering the entire game despite doing it solo. He's casting one game(not series) per day and I think watching those might become a daily activity for me for at least the next little bit.