Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

KTMs rule :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was pretty soured on them when my roommate and I both bought supermoto bikes (me a drz400sm and him a ktm 625 smc) and every time we rode together I wound up sitting and waiting for him to figure out some weird bullshit that was going on or stop to pick up a thing that fell off.

Initially I was a bit jealous because on paper the ktm was a better bike than the drz but in reality I was the one who got to ride whenever and wherever I wanted and there was always this “will he make it home?” cloud hanging over the ktm, and trust me we had to go two up on the DRZ more than once and that is not fun.

Maybe the new ones are better? I dunno :iiam:

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Related;

Yes

middle of 1000 km one-day ride home after buying it, appropriate introduction for KTM ownership.

Replace entire taillight assembly due to broken mount (high tension screw into cheap plastic), order 'upgraded' part. Upgraded part identical to poorly designed part, high tension screws into cheap plastic, entire tail light assembly a writeoff with a single poorly timed leg swing, or God forbid vibes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I strongly encourage Slavvy to throw shade wherever he wants, but am fine if he stays on brand loving HD and hating KTM.

My personal experience with a 690 for a year is that they are bananas fun, always got me home, but came with a litany of annoying things. I didn't sell because of these things, though. I sold because I was poor and the DR650 was a vastly more enjoyable bike overall. Also commuting sucked on it.

I'm turned off of KTM completely now, yet the 1290SD is near the top of the list of the bikes I want to buy when the pandemic is over.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm a masochist and stubborn as hell so despite all of the cautionary tales of KTM ownership, I still bought a '19 Duke 390. There's only 2500km on the odometer but I haven't been able to produce any evidence in support of the KTM-ness. Yet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
broke ktm owners bad, chad wealthy ktm owners good

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Perfectly happy with my first year run KTM from their bankruptcy era. It took on 25,000mi in under 2 years without swallowing a valve in death valley or blowing two stators like some other bikes I've had around.

Can't wait to go pick the fucker up and find some supermoto slicks for the fat gently caress.

Aintcare you do you this fucker is my kinda bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Perfectly happy with my first year run KTM from their bankruptcy era. It took on 25,000mi in under 2 years without swallowing a valve in death valley or blowing two stators like some other bikes I've had around.

Can't wait to go pick the fucker up and find some supermoto slicks for the fat gently caress.

Aintcare you do you this fucker is my kinda bike

You're like one of the only people here actually qualified to have an old ktm, and I don't include myself in that.

Coydog posted:

I strongly encourage Slavvy to throw shade wherever he wants, but am fine if he stays on brand loving HD and hating KTM.

Now is also a good time to point out: I started off hating Harleys and liking KTM's because I was a stupid babby, it's well documented right on this dead gay forum. Orange bikes have all the stuff I like: lightness, power, great cycle parts, interesting design, mostly nakeds etc. Potato bikes are everything I hate: needlessly heavy, pointlessly ostentatious, disproportionately slow, mostly crap design, cruisers.

And yet, Harleys won me over despite my best effort to hate them, while KTM's do their level best to make me hate them.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 19, 2021

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Slavvy's excellent example just now of lovely KTM-ness, and prior dumping on KTMs, has completely soured me on KTMs.

gently caress that poo poo.

I'd wanted a Duke 390 as a 2nd bike, but I am quite glad I binned that idea.

Slavvy, keep it up and keep posting more horror stories as you come across them.

Also, anecdotally, the only person I know with a KTM, his 690 Duke has been broken for longer than it has been in riding condition. Possibly by about 3x longer in the broken state.

690s tends to do that. I sold my 2013 model after 80KKm, and the rebuild bills was about 50% of the price (in Norway, where bikes was taxed quite heavily). Fun bike when it works, but thats too seldom.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

And yet, Harleys won me over despite my best effort to hate them, while KTM's do their level best to make me hate them.

I respect your journey but why put yourself through this when Suzuki is clearly the best of both worlds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a modified b12 and every time I look at it I get an enormous sense of ennui :suzuki: like yeah they're the bike you should get but I don't recall ever really wanting one the way I want/wanted a ZRX or VFR400.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

I'm turned off of KTM completely now, yet the 1290SD is near the top of the list of the bikes I want to buy when the pandemic is over.

the LC8 is an incredible motor and I love it dearly. v twins rule and it will be a sad day when they shove a v4 into the SD / SA

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I have a modified b12 and every time I look at it I get an enormous sense of ennui :suzuki: like yeah they're the bike you should get but I don't recall ever really wanting one the way I want/wanted a ZRX or VFR400.
I really want something that revs to 19k, did you say you owned a CBR250RR once?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I owned an i4 gsxr250 and a pair of zxr250s, I've worked on and ridden many i4 cbr250's. If you absolutely have to have one the Yamaha fzr250 is my pick, it has skinny not-stupid-sized tyres and has the best sounding, smoothest donk. The Honda is second and the other two are pretty terrible tbh.

I think the cb/cbr/Vfr 400 and the zxr400 are the best of the Japanese miniature superbikes.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Steakandchips posted:

Slavvy's excellent example just now of lovely KTM-ness, and prior dumping on KTMs, has completely soured me on KTMs.

gently caress that poo poo.

I'd wanted a Duke 390 as a 2nd bike, but I am quite glad I binned that idea.

Slavvy, keep it up and keep posting more horror stories as you come across them.

Also, anecdotally, the only person I know with a KTM, his 690 Duke has been broken for longer than it has been in riding condition. Possibly by about 3x longer in the broken state.

I had a 390 duke and it fuckin owned though. Comfy, light, good features.

Only reason I didnt get another is because the closest dealership is 2 hours away and i need it to be closer, cause its a ktm

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 20, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I really want something that revs to 19k

I feel this post in my soul

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel this post in my soul

There's the missus's Homewrecker 9000 with the kickstand.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
A 2 act-play from a person I know on Facebook:

This guy has spent, I'm roughly guessing, close to $150k he received as an inheritance on modern electric motorcycles. He's crashed 2 of them and was recently begging for people to cover his 'racing school fees' for this weekend.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That guy is dumb as poo poo.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Yes. Florida man gonna Florida man.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

it just gets better and better

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
You advance to the next group in a track day by beating the instructor. After you beat all of them, you become an instructor yourself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nonono this dude didn't even read the quick start guide ffs.

You beat the instructor of 300's to get started and then as you progress the bikes get bigger and the instructors get bigger and more cybernetic. At the end you race Marc Marquez in a hitler suit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coredump posted:

There's the missus's Homewrecker 9000 with the kickstand.

The ADVRider thread is leaking

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who shows up to a track day on a brand new electric Harley thinking they’re gonna race ahrma?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

AHRMA has an electric division, Formula Lightning. It was founded by Arthur Kowitz who is a totally baller old dude.

https://www.ahrma.org/formula-lightning-series-zero-emission-motorcycle-racing/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who shows up to a track day on a brand new electric Harley?

He should have started on something small and petrol-ed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This sounds like a textbook case of why race schools are required before racing. He did a race school, discovered that riding around on a track is outside his comfort zone, didn't complete the school, went home and admitted as much on Facebook. Everybody wins!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh yeah I forgot about formula lightning. Either way still lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't lightning the ones that are 50/50 zip ties and scam by weight?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

If you absolutely have to have one the Yamaha fzr250 is my pick,
But the CBR revs to 19k

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

But the CBR revs to 19k

It's only a thousand more, and it doesn't actually make more power than the others so in a way that's worse. The kawasaki, typically, feels like it had an extra 50cc over the others despite my never having ridden a tidy one.

They are super well built though, genuinely miniature Fireblade quality.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Aren't lightning the ones that are 50/50 zip ties and scam by weight?

Yes but Formula Lightning and Lightning Motorcycles are not affiliated with each other. I suspect any Lightning Motorcycle that showed up at a track would fail any sort of inspection. Ironically, the guy in question did somehow pay $38k for, and receive, a Lightning LS-218. But he chose to try and race on the LiveWire. I suspect it's because the LS-218 will likely explode if you get it too close to water.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

We the people demand more of LiveWire Guy's postings.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Gorson posted:

We the people demand more of LiveWire Guy's postings.

ok here's a group chat I'm part of with him

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Imma start my own electric motorcycle racing league, with blackjack and hookers vibe.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Imma start my own electric motorcycle racing league, with blackjack and hookers vibe.

Riverboat gambling meets track day. Don't need a track just a parking lot with puddles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goodbye, you meth-laden sack of feces.

Never do work for YOUR WIFE'S extended family jfc.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol what size is that wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

26 broooo