Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

The quantitative scientist in me immediately ask how that 12% mortality compares to the baseline mortality rate for non-covid related hospitalized patients with similar demographic profiles (age, weight etc). The CSPAM reader in me immediately checks my bean quinoa and nutritional yeast hoard.

I'm on phone and lazy to find the paper but I'm pretty sure I saw in the abstract while reading it that the 12% rate was largely consistent across age groups. that's still not definitive proof against your concern, but if I had to guess I'd say that that is not the norm for a comparable non-covid infected cohort

e: bird tax since that's the new thing. not my bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

See, this is good content.

MJ doesn't seem like a sexpest, just a douche who can't read a room. So, a doctor.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

I loving Love Science

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Thoguh posted:

Kinda wish my state had lists I could sign up for and camp over instead of radio silence and no way to even sign up for a mailing list for updates.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gay_crimes posted:

less american psycho more Opener Up and speculating about if this is the end of civilization or if we're nearing responsible Opener Up territory

lol it's neither

thread constantly forgets that the real world is boring as hell, so you get to experience something that is just terrible as hell without ever getting any kind of cathartic release

it's the same as realistic climate change predictions: just picture your life as it is right now, but getting marginally worse. forever.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Paradoxish posted:

lol it's neither

thread constantly forgets that the real world is boring as hell, so you get to experience something that is just terrible as hell without ever getting any kind of cathartic release

it's the same as realistic climate change predictions: just picture your life as it is right now, but getting marginally worse. forever.

the banality of needle

where is mine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the banality of needle

where is mine

I'm getting my second shot on Monday. I'll think of you.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the banality of needle

where is mine

sadly there's no vaccine against reading you're posts

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

lol it's neither

you're posting at someone who just laid in a sleeping bag in an unheated building with no water for a week

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Slippery Nipple posted:

actually the worst post madjackal ever made was implying snoo was an idiot for working retail

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Gonna laugh when some youtuber does it with like ziploc bags and a dremel. Or China just builds 10 factories in a week with a giant 3d printer

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its even better than it sounds, Netanyahu asked Putin to help deal with the Syrians and he would only do it if they bought the Sputnik vaccines no one else wants. now thats realpolitik, a win for everyone

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lol that Cuba, a tiny island nation of 10 million, will probably produce 100 million vaccines before the US does.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ugh doing things is so hard

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

gay_crimes posted:

you're posting at someone who just laid in a sleeping bag in an unheated building with no water for a week

sorry, no one should have to live in texas

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

When a USA politician or official says "this isn't possible" what they mean is "wow, sounds kinda expensive, idk...."

Also why the gently caress shouldn't we double our output even if it comes after the 600m doses are delivered? We have to vaccinate the whole planet you dumb fucks, and probably once a year boosters.

All of these people are dumb fucks including Fauci

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

smoobles posted:

When a USA politician or official says "this isn't possible" what they mean is "wow, sounds kinda expensive, idk...."

Also why the gently caress shouldn't we double our output even if it comes after the 600m doses are delivered? We have to vaccinate the whole planet you dumb fucks, and probably once a year boosters.

Hey! It takes time to figure out what your various frat buddies can supply for a no bid contract!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

brutal

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

drat

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

that's cold

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ghost of RBG posted:

If you like his posts so much then open up a thread where you can read about how his dating life is going, since this is the covid thread, not the “liberals talk about their sex lives” thread, but I’m not a mod, and just like we clamorednto get that moron Mourne out of here, we have to work to remove horny libs.

Hey instead maybe shut the gently caress up you dumb idiot

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

The quantitative scientist in me immediately ask how that 12% mortality compares to the baseline mortality rate for non-covid related hospitalized patients with similar demographic profiles (age, weight etc). The CSPAM reader in me immediately checks my bean quinoa and nutritional yeast hoard.

Also apparently I have dangerously ecumenical tendencies but don't understand all the vitriol directed at Dr Jackal. In a list of our society's various pandemic response screw-ups I doubt "fully vaccinated healthcare worker prematurely returns to dating and visiting the gym" makes even the top 10000 entries.

However MadJackal I hope you appreciate that those of us with very young children are probably looking at another year of bunker life unless community spread in the US becomes negligible (big lol) and take that into consideration when posting about your exploits.

Is that bird actually safe, or is it just a matter of time until some switch gets randomly thrown in the cat brain and then it's claws out?

This thread is much like twitter where the goal is not to be the target of the moment.

MadJackal absolutely has some dumb and tone deaf posts but the thread needs a target and he keeps coming back for more so.

Although if he's been saying Tara Reade is some Q poo poo or what the gently caress ever he can go ahead and gently caress right off.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

See, this is how you make fun of madjackal without calling the cops.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

umm actually austin tx is the coolest city to live in in the country, surely you have heard of elon musk and joe rogan

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

idk who those people are but i know Lord British so i cannot argue

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1363211932174594050?s=19

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Gio posted:

ugh doing things is so hard

Hard things are hard

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Hard things are hard

Go on :wink:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

Any unified entity with more production capacity than Pfizer+Astrazeneca will be able to out-produce us easily.

We are letting two companies use their existing infrastructure to try and supply the world because it's their vaccine and they need to get paid for it. So Pfizer's vaccine is being produced in their in-house facilities or their contract manufacturers/packagers which is a limited resource.

There is currently plenty of surplus capacity either sitting idle or being used to produce other products by other companies. In the hypothetical event that the United States could take the Pfizer vaccine and use all of it's industry to produce it then we would solve this poo poo in a week of output.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Nocturtle posted:

Also apparently I have dangerously ecumenical tendencies but don't understand all the vitriol directed at Dr Jackal. In a list of our society's various pandemic response screw-ups I doubt "fully vaccinated healthcare worker prematurely returns to dating and visiting the gym" makes even the top 10000 entries.

However MadJackal I hope you appreciate that those of us with very young children are probably looking at another year of bunker life unless community spread in the US becomes negligible (big lol) and take that into consideration when posting about your exploits.

Is that bird actually safe, or is it just a matter of time until some switch gets randomly thrown in the cat brain and then it's claws out?

From the article

quote:

These results were substantially higher than a control group of similar patients which saw deaths in under 2 per cent of patients and less than 10 per cent needing to be readmitted.

What's unclear to me is if discharged means " discharged from acute care hospital to inpt rehab/snf/home" because that article makes it sound like they were discharged to home.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
This is wild.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

quote:

After some laughter, the board president, Lisa Brizendine, commiserated about growing criticism over closed schools, suggesting parents really want schools to reopen so they get their babysitters back.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
oh cool. my friend flew across the country for the second time this year and dined indoors at a restaurant.

same person asked their fb friends to sign a petition to define their field as frontline workers so that they can get access to the vaccine.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They're closer to right than wrong but they need the babysitter because they're going to be forced back to work

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Slippery Nipple posted:

covid will officialy be over when iron crowned goes to a strip club

This is what I am waiting for. IC you must report when you return so we can have an official celebration.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

the sudden realization of nearly every parent in America that they can't actually afford their kids has been an interesting side plot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't get the MJ hate. It should be plainly obvious by now that not even being willing to offer people a post-vaccine society that is safely a few steps closer to normal, that even if they're vaccinated they need to go another year seeing nobody and isolating, people will ignore both your mandates and your pleas for vaccination because obviously if those are the protocols for AFTER getting vaccinated, why bother with them at all?

We're obviously never got to straight up pay people to get the stick, so what else have you got to drive people to do the right thing, especially when the status quo is people doing those things already

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

They're closer to right than wrong but they need the babysitter because they're going to be forced back to work

you're right. when i first read "contra costa county," i immediately thought, "walnut creek" so I pulled up some demographic info on the school district after reading your post... and now i am very sad for the parents because they are most definitely being forced back to work.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

durrneez posted:

oh cool. my friend flew across the country for the second time this year and dined indoors at a restaurant.

same person asked their fb friends to sign a petition to define their field as frontline workers so that they can get access to the vaccine.

a petition? oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

I don't get the MJ hate. It should be plainly obvious by now that not even being willing to offer people a post-vaccine society that is safely a few steps closer to normal, that even if they're vaccinated they need to go another year seeing nobody and isolating, people will ignore both your mandates and your pleas for vaccination because obviously if those are the protocols for AFTER getting vaccinated, why bother with them at all?

We're obviously never got to straight up pay people to get the stick, so what else have you got to drive people to do the right thing, especially when the status quo is people doing those things already

Things are never going to get better so we can at least be right and poo poo on a rich guy