Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Number_6 posted:

I don't really get why the stores got cleaned out of food. Do people need to eat more when the power or water is out? I'm sure people lost a lot of refrigerated food that went bad, but still...

help i'm an apple employee that usually ate in the cafeteria three meals a day but when i'm wfh in covid times i've been getting tatsuya for lunch and dinner and if i don't have my noodles i'll die

okay i think to make a stew i need ten pounds of chicken and rice?? i don't know, maybe i'll get some of everything. who knows when the next time i can shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Just give everyone a sack of potatoes and let god figure them out

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNziNqbVh8A

They just wrapped their thing at the food bank and will be wandering around town after they're done inside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I gotta say all this is gonna make me real sore when Ted Cruz easily wins re-election in ‘24

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

I gotta say all this is gonna make me real sore when Ted Cruz easily wins re-election in ‘24

yup

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Number_6 posted:

I don't really get why the stores got cleaned out of food. Do people need to eat more when the power or water is out? I'm sure people lost a lot of refrigerated food that went bad, but still...

Aside from refrigerated food going bad, just-in-time logistics, missing the Tuesday or Wednesday delivery truck, and people guessing what they might need because as far as they're concerned this crisis might last another two weeks: some people have extended family staying with them (because they had power and/or water and their family didn't) so they're now shopping for ten instead of four, and seeing somebody else pushing two carts makes a lot of people go "maybe I should get three cans of corn instead of two"; and people who ate through their pandemic hoards may be trying to refill those hoards. (I know my list for Monday is about twice as long as a normal Monday shopping list, in part because I didn't go grocery shopping this week at all, in part because my supply of foods my kindergartener will reliably eat is down to granola bars and saltines.)

TropicalCoke posted:

Just give everyone a sack of potatoes and let god figure them out

Unironically I would be delighted to get a knock on the door and be handed four gallons of water (one per person in my house, y'know) and eight pounds of potatoes (two pounds per person). My power and water didn't even go out! It'd just be the novelty factor. (Also it would be amazing to watch the delivery of gallon jugs and two-pound sacks to houses where there's currently three families.)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 20, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty hopeful that there will be a major shift in politics in the wake of Trump's departure, but there's no real way to know how that shift'll go.

I hope that Trump's last gasps will get drowned out as he is unable to assert himself like he used to and is slowly buried in lawsuits and criminal charges so that anyone desperately huffing his farts to get pulled along in his wake would fall from grace as well and have to totally figure out some new branding. There's even a lot of signs that people who try to directly follow in Trump's footsteps can't replicate the same successes and don't really benefit well from pisslord endorsements, but who loving knows whether the democrats will figure out how to use that confusion along with the treason and total worthlessness as a politician to break up the Republican hegemony.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/VOANews/status/1362450556577579010

Lmao the suburb of Dallas, Ft Wort

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

yea I'm gonna be so loving owned in three years when we just let this pig fucker skate back to washington

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I dunno. Maybe AOC and Beto doing good in Texas is going to end up driving enough of a wedge in to buck Cruz

Cruz and AOC have had this weird thing where Cruz seems to want to work with her but then do his poo poo that almost got her killed and now she from New York is showing him up on his turf

I almost think Cruz has a shine on her

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 20, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

I dunno. Maybe AOC and Beto doing good in Texas is going to end up driving enough of a wedge in to buck Cruz

Cruz and AOC have had this weird thing where Cruz seems to want to work with her but then do his poo poo that almost got her killed and now she from New York is showing him up on his turf

He absolutely does.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Beto oscillates between authenticity and full of shitness. But compared to the average Texas politician he's like Cincinnatus or something, so if he stays in the state doing work then I think he has another shot.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty hopeful that there will be a major shift in politics in the wake of Trump's departure, but there's no real way to know how that shift'll go.

I hope that Trump's last gasps will get drowned out as he is unable to assert himself like he used to and is slowly buried in lawsuits and criminal charges so that anyone desperately huffing his farts to get pulled along in his wake would fall from grace as well and have to totally figure out some new branding. There's even a lot of signs that people who try to directly follow in Trump's footsteps can't replicate the same successes and don't really benefit well from pisslord endorsements, but who loving knows whether the democrats will figure out how to use that confusion along with the treason and total worthlessness as a politician to break up the Republican hegemony.

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/796229362643152896?lang=en

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

speaking of dallas suburb ft worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc4_PnKoea4

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Beto oscillates between authenticity and full of shitness. But compared to the average Texas politician he's like Cincinnatus or something, so if he stays in the state doing work then I think he has another shot.

he could probably knock abbott off next cycle, given how soon it is and how abbott has been trying to tack to the center and just ended up pissing everyone off. people liked beto alot when he ran and if he hadnt run for president hed be a lock for whatever he ran for next in the state.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

he could probably knock abbott off next cycle, given how soon it is and how abbott has been trying to tack to the center and just ended up pissing everyone off. people liked beto alot when he ran and if he hadnt run for president hed be a lock for whatever he ran for next in the state.

Yep. It was real frustrating when he did that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Captain Monkey posted:

Yep. It was real frustrating when he did that.

never listen to the pod save crew ever

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Politics_PR/status/1363172447206268928

lol of course

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

The worst part is that if he'd taken a run at Cornyn or Abbott and won, he'd have been a shoo-in for the Democrat nod in a cycle or three. And if he'd been able to LBJ Texas, it would've shut down the GoP for a long time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

Did they convince beto to run for president? I dont recall that happening.

Antrodemus
Mar 8, 2002
Can someone who knows more about either FEMA or Texas infrastructure explain why individual assistance was only approved for 77 counties, but public assistance was approved statewide? I'm in one of the counties that was not approved, and the city government pivoted immediately to blaming Biden for why we don't have water after 5 days and counting. I'm sure that's not the case, but I don't know the ins and outs of the process.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How are u posted:

they promoted a documentary on him running and were big boosters. pretty sure one of the jons told him to run, but its been a few years

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gatts posted:

It's called "la mala ojo"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Republicans are embarassingly horny for AOC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are u posted:

That was me, sorry yall

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dameius posted:

Republicans are embarassingly horny for AOC.

loving seriously.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

The dem challenger to Cruz is going to be like, the Houston Police Chief or some such bullshit. Not that there won't be a significantly better and organically popular alternative, but that's gonna be the kind of guy chosen for us.

e: and somehow the brain genius mainstream takeaway from all this is going to be "well I guess texas/mexicans are too racist we tried our best"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the establishment democrats are calling the shots about who gets to be candidate, then there's no way they would've chosen Hegar.

There's also the possibility some new wave will rise up within the republican party as the trump loyalists lounder and Cruz will be too invested into his current bullshit to adapt and he'll get stomped in the face by somebody marginally less awful in a primary. But that's wildly unpredictable.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I hope trump runs again and starts owning ted like in 2016 so I can see his soul whither away like the slimy frog he is

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

If the establishment democrats are calling the shots about who gets to be candidate, then there's no way they would've chosen Hegar.

Why not she sounds exactly like someone they'd pick

Former Republican, military or cop, cringey campaign of trying to call the Republican a simpering pussy who doesn't have what it takes to send more women to bomb mosques

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VitalSigns posted:

Why not she sounds exactly like someone they'd pick

Former Republican, military or cop, cringey campaign of trying to call the Republican a simpering pussy who doesn't have what it takes to send more women to bomb mosques

Yeah she was basically a discount Amy McGrath and establishment dems absolutely adored her.

Also I was making a joke about that time in the distant past when the Texas dems thought it would be a wonderful idea to back a loving Dallas cop as governor. You could see the hilarious gap where people were voting Abbott/Beto over her.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 21, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Are Abbott/Beto voters real?

I just figured a bunch of fired up Beto voters left the governor's race blank because Valdez didn't even campaign

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VitalSigns posted:

I just figured a bunch of fired up Beto voters left the governor's race blank because Valdez didn't even campaign

I'm aware of at least one irl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1363335355609530368

Ahaha

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

ROFL

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I'm aware of at least one irl.

wow did they say why

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VitalSigns posted:

wow did they say why

Boomer Republican, believes in small government but didn't like Cruz for how "disingenuous he is." Cruz's Trump support was a factor as well.

Cancun Cruz doing a good job moving water in and out of his friend's car in a parking lot. Such strength to do a fake political photo op at a time like this.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He cares so much that he'll wait for it not to be cold to do a piddly photo op. What a joke.

Weird that his twitter handle looks like a Californian city.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VitalSigns posted:

Also probably a bit of acab. There were a -lot- of blanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006