Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

Dumb question, but does watching dozens of these movies a year dull your capacity to be made uncomfortable (or maybe occasionally frightened) by them?

e:i liked all the movies i watched from that list

I don't really watch dozens of horror movies a year tbf :shrug: I just listed a bunch from the last decade that were noteworthy to me. Horror is not my favorite genre of film but I def appreciate films that can confront horror without really being labeled horror. mother! and Fury Road are my two favorite films from the last 5 years. They are seemingly unrelated, but upon further inspection they both explore strikingly similar themes, they just do so using very different techniques of cinematic language. The horror of mother! is juxtaposed with a sort of comedy of errors that makes it a real genre-blend in the end, and that juxtaposition is very effective at getting to a central truth surrounding the psychotic degree of human abuse and extraction on this planet, not to mention its consequences for our future. I think horror in film can be very effective at helping us process huge real world events, so, catharsis. The horror in mother! is a wake-up call. The horror in Fury Road, if it can be defined that way, is a rallying cry. And I guess in the end many of the most horrifying things I've seen in film would not be classified as horror at all (Lynch is very good at this, it turns out), but would be misconstrued, ignored, or taken as normal and acceptable.

edit; Somewhere in there I stopped answering your question and just started thinking out loud...I'm sorry. : /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

"luckily" for me I have the opposite reaction to stuff that makes me anxious.
Not trying to be presumptuous here, but are you using any medication and if not, have you considering starting? I'd be happy to share some personal experiences with what I found helpful by PM if you're not comfortable with talking about it here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nail Rat posted:

The Blizzard Arcade Collection exists in some sort of weird twlight zone. You can get trophies in it, but they're not visible anywhere - not on Playstation.com, not on PS4, not on PS5, not on the PS App. Has there been a title like this before?

Also I got one bronze trophy and when it popped up it said 1% but there are only 15 achievements on XBL/Steam so that probably is just the OS saying "gently caress I don't know how many trophies there are. 1%"

Yeah it happens when the trophies aren't 'up' on the PSN server or whatever, it mostly happens to me if I've gotten a game a couple of days early, it'll sort itself out eventually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cardiovorax posted:

Not trying to be presumptuous here, but are you using any medication and if not, have you considering starting? I'd be happy to share some personal experiences with what I found helpful by PM if you're not comfortable with talking about it here.

Thanks. Yeah I've been meaning to get around to talking to someone, I have deeper issues. I've been apprehensive about therapy in the past (just embarrassed), but I've been trying to get over that. I actually had an appointment regarding that matter this Friday, but had to cancel because of the weather.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life, but I'm no authority. –in my opinion– definitely talk to someone, but try to avoid the pill factories. There are better outlets in life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. Yeah I've been meaning to get around to talking to someone, I have deeper issues. I've been apprehensive about therapy in the past (just embarrassed), but I've been trying to get over that. I actually had an appointment regarding that matter this Friday, but had to cancel because of the weather.
Well, if you want any advice, feel free to contact me anytime. I have ADHD and I've made very good experience with therapy over the course of trying to deal with certain comorbid issues that developed from only getting it diagnosed long after I was already an adult.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A24 distributes the next Tim Rogers review in theaters

:hmmyes:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncut Gems made me almost as anxious as a horror movie tbh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I appreciate the support. Thanks. Sorry for making a scene.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Uncut Gems is a good movie, i enjoyed it much more on a second watch with subtitles on though, there's a lot of aggressive shouting matches in that one

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Don't worry about it. We all have our issues and it's not causing a scene to talk about that kind of thing unless you're throwing a tantrum over something silly and inconsequential.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Dude!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQuc7wfO16Q

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s a 90’s alt movie called Go that’s more anxiety inducing than any horror movie I have ever seen, and it’s just a movie about, like, 90’s west coast rave/drug culture.

Part of absorbing scary movies is figuring out your personal triggers. There are like 2-3 spooky ideas that really get under my skin, and anything outside of that isn’t really capable of doing more than startling me. Like the entire “spooky doll” genre is just insanely stupid on it’s face and I can run those movies no sweat.

Honestly I genuinely believe that longform TV dramas like American Horror Story or the Netflix “House on Haunted Hill” show or obvious classics like Twin Peaks are better positioned to scare people and genuinely unnerve them because you can build tension over hours/days/weeks instead of trying to experience a full roller coaster of emotions in 90 minutes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

the party at the end of capitalism

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

It is called A24 because it is A24HourReviewByTimRogers

Oh my god lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I genuinely believe that longform TV dramas like American Horror Story or the Netflix “House on Haunted Hill” show or obvious classics like Twin Peaks are better positioned to scare people and genuinely unnerve them because you can build tension over hours/days/weeks instead of trying to experience a full roller coaster of emotions in 90 minutes.

Twin Peaks sure but despite the name American Horror Story doesn’t seem to be scary at all. I watched a bunch of the Coven season since my girlfriend likes it and it’s entertaining but not remotely scary

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah that was just nonstop stress and anxiety from the very first minute to the last. The only kind of character in it is someone who I would never want to be around in real life for even a few seconds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Twin Peaks is the kind of quasi-horror that is all about being existentially horrifying in what it tells you about how the world really works, but not immediately frightening in the sense of scary things happening... which is probably why it's better regarded, because that kind of thing tends to keep working even when you've become kind of resistant to gribblies and monsters screeching in your face.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly if someone made a pitch for True Detective S1 being horror I would hear them out, there’s 2-3 episodes of that show that emotionally destroy me with hopelessness, which is the key to good horror for me. If there’s even a sliver of hope I will glom on to it, TDS1 doesn’t have any hope to it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nm, i dont remember the term i'm looking for

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly if someone made a pitch for True Detective S1 being horror I would hear them out, there’s 2-3 episodes of that show that emotionally destroy me with hopelessness, which is the key to good horror for me.
I so hate that idea and how common it is these days. There is a difference between something being frightening and being just bleak and depressing. They both can make you feel like poo poo, but that's like saying being on fire and getting stabbed are the same thing just because they both hurt.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

nm, i dont remember the term i'm looking for

Southern gothic?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Twin Peaks sure but despite the name American Horror Story doesn’t seem to be scary at all. I watched a bunch of the Coven season since my girlfriend likes it and it’s entertaining but not remotely scary

The quality and scariness of AHS swings wildly between seasons, since it’s an anthology that starts over each time. Try 2 (Asylum) or 7 (Cult) or 9 (1984, meaning slasher movie)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you know what, that old Tales From The Crypt was a pretty dope show

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The other day I watched Sion Sono’s Cold Fish, which is definitely an exemplar of the matter-of-fact portrayal of murder that Japanese cinema is famous for.

Edit: my favorite line goes like “you never know when someone will just suddenly die. I do though”

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 21, 2021

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

how has horror chat gone on this long without bringing up jacob's ladder

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

It is called A24 because it is A24HourReviewByTimRogers
https://twitter.com/nocontextkirby/status/1196450533902471169

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What about this
https://twitter.com/herecomethemibs/status/1362422024220639236

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What in the world

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wait Jughead is played by the little kid from Big Daddy?? What is going on

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’ve never been able to equate anxiety and depression with horror. I loving love “existential horror” like SOMA and it’s genuinely intriguing to me. Now alien isolation? gently caress that, I will never finish that game. I’m an extreme basic bitch when it comes to horror, all the tricks work on me and I love it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rinkles posted:

I appreciate the support. Thanks.

For the record a quiet PM to me here or on discord or even PSN and I'll be happy to jabber on endlessly about my struggles and the tools I use to work around them. This goes for anybody, by the way... If you ask, I will always have or make time for you.

Horror is a funny thing for me. I love over the top cartoonish stuff like Cabin In The Woods but scenes of cruelty really gently caress me up. I can't stand it when people are cruel to each other - especially in media! If I wanted that I'd wander around the city myself. Man's inhumanity to man, blah blah. We all have that capacity, but it distresses me to see anyone (fictional or otherwise or even myself) choose to avail themselves of it. Also jumpscares are dumb and bad and using one is gonna get you a real hard critical look to justify it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

The other day I watched Sion Sono’s Cold Fish, which is definitely an exemplar of the matter-of-fact portrayal of murder that Japanese cinema is famous for.

Edit: my favorite line goes like “you never know when someone will just suddenly die. I do though”

I love that film. It's incredibly hard to pick a favorite Sono movie because they're all so different but I think that one and Noriko's Dinner Table are way up there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Suppose I'm hankering for a D&D monk experience, battering through waves of enemies with superpowered kung fu (which I can proceed to make more and more superpowered). What are my best bets for some satisfying punchman action?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

"mom can we rent uncut gems?"

"we have uncut gems at home"

uncut gems at home:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Suppose I'm hankering for a D&D monk experience, battering through waves of enemies with superpowered kung fu (which I can proceed to make more and more superpowered). What are my best bets for some satisfying punchman action?

Literally Diablo 3

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Literally Diablo 3

Yeah, I was thinking of something a bit more hands-on than that. D3 was part of what got me thirsting for that playstyle in a full ARPG, just like it whet my appetite for more video game paladins. Also, it doesn't feel nearly as good at delivering that punchman experience as it does at its other class fantasies - monks have awkward animations and awkward movesets compared to other melee characters, in my experience.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E I'm dumb

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 21, 2021

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of something a bit more hands-on than that. D3 was part of what got me thirsting for that playstyle in a full ARPG, just like it whet my appetite for more video game paladins. Also, it doesn't feel nearly as good at delivering that punchman experience as it does at its other class fantasies - monks have awkward animations and awkward movesets compared to other melee characters, in my experience.

What was that xbox game called, Jade Empire or something equally generic? I think I was the only person I know who liked it. I think about that one every now and again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Darth Walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcZQfCYKcI0&t=48s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

most horror media sucks bc people are so wrapped up in being ashamed of the genre they all want to be classified as a "psychological thriller" and thats why all of these new "smart" horror movies are all the same boring poo poo

give me critters or dollman versus the demonic toys, thanks. if rich koz or joe bob briggs couldn't present your movie i will probably pass.