Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also it appears the game is very different in the last 6 months

anyone have a rundown on the new changes? I see stuff like blood plasma and it looks like Arms Race may have adjusted logistics again??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lmao, in like two weeks I'm gonna just break down and play the always installed on my hard drive game. Tell us about the new system I fuckin love solving the new math problems and applying those gains to figure out how to put box in truck then drive truck then press button on building to make the shooty bits.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I delivered a bunch of tshirts and was a medic for awhile. I had to kill a man in combat. fun game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is Callahan's Legion where some of yall are playing did I read that right

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A reminder that the nazi contingent of the game also congregates on wardens

(No they weren't banned)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

eonwe posted:

is Callahan's Legion where some of yall are playing did I read that right

No the regular goon foxhole discord, I’m not sure who is the admin. They seem like the most tolerable pubbies I’ve found though, they instaban gamergaters and Nazis from what I’ve seen

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
:siren: Here we go ladies and germs ! :dehumanize:

quote:

The Foxhole Devstream returns on Tuesday, February 2nd February 9th at 2PM EST with a full preview of the Winter Update. Tune into our Twitch channel to watch it live: https://www.twitch.tv/foxholegame

Note: Unlike previous previews for big updates, this will happen all in one stream as opposed to being broken up into two.

The devs haven't had a livestream in almost a month for :confused: reasons, so we are getting a double sized helping dump of whatever is coming out. This update is the BIG ONE for this part of the year so it's gonna be a doozy. As of now there has been zero reliable info as to what is coming out. There is some speculation that Battle Tanks will be re-added to the game, other than that it's all :shrug: .

EDIT 1/28: Stream now pushed back to Feb 9th :saddowns: .

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 29, 2021

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Devstream just finished up, boy was it a doozy !

quick & dirty notes:

code:
Regiment system 
	Start of a clan system
	Tag separated from Steam name
Infantry arms race
	new guns, sfx, faction specific guns, new weapon classes
	sniper, AR, carbine, burst
	new AT weaps
	things on tripods
Weather system
	can be snowing or raining
	not just for visuals, will affect wars - frozen lakes & rivers
	spans multiple regions
No Mans Land
	new flight model, interacts with weather/wind
	new arty classes - emplaced, field, SPG (Future)
	new arties can perma wreck things
	new ammo storage bunker pc for emplaced guns
	destructable world - craters, blown trees, muddy terrain, perma-trashed towns
New vehicles
	collie med tank - can get prod bonus when MPFd
	warden scout vehicle - MG only but provides radar even when moving
	warden mortar tank - yay!
Devbranch in 2 parts, starts 12th and 2nd part is on 16th, release is nominally the 24th

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Flight model? As in planes?

The changes look cool and I keep trying to get back into this game, but the fixed isometric view frustrates the hell out of me.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

It means the path of the shell flying through the air will be more "realistic" and can be affected by outside forces.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
With the clan system officially engaged implemented, whose setting it up and where do I sign up

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Well it won't be in game until at least the 24th and currently has a 4 character limit with the [brackets] being free. LLJK or GOON would work I guess.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Devs announced today that the next war is going to be starting on Wednesday the 24th for sure. They are forcibly ending the current war sometime on Monday and doing the usual soft roll-out in Resistance phase bit. One late addition that popped up is the Wardens get a new burst fire pistol that suspiciously looks like a broomhandle Mauser :godwin: . Also some "late info" will be talked about in the devstream this Tuesday. There is no info as to what but there has been significant pushback from the community over the parts of the new cold weather mechanics that kill you and/or your vehicle. Also the clan tag box got a new max of 5 letters, up from the 4 previously, so GOONS or BUTTS or STAIR are all now a possibility :v: .

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
One of the devs honest-to-god thinks a running engine will freeze because of cold weather. It's fantastic :allears:

They're also canadian so should really know better

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Rynoto posted:

One of the devs honest-to-god thinks a running engine will freeze because of cold weather. It's fantastic :allears:

Its for the :airquote:"fun" factor

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Reminds me of the time they revamped the report system to make it even more convoluted and they thought that successfully curbed cheating because "we got less reports."

Devs are dumb as gently caress.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Have they revamped the economy or are wars still largely decided by which side has more people poopsocking in logi towns for 24 hour shifts?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Rynoto posted:

As of latest devbranch iteration this is no longer a thing. As long as someone is in the driver seat the vehicle will not freeze and any cold accumulated outside the vehicle by the driver/passengers slowly goes away (along with any cold on the vehicle). So its now officially canon that all vehicles have a heater in them now :science: .

And logi still sucks but they threw us a small bone in that getting cans of diesel out of a Refinery from public will go 50% faster (this makes getting 200 cans out take just 10 minutes of clicking instead of 20 now ! :haw: ) .

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Does anyone have some tips or guides on getting heavy equipment up and running? I've been practicing some theories and resistance phase just started so I'd like some feedback.

Say I'm trying to build an assault tank, whats the best way to store all the resources you need to get it up and ammoed/fueled up?

My process thats worked best do far is to grab a flat bed and a resource container with a sledgehammer, radio, hammer, and wrench and go to the nearest salvage yard until you pop 5k, take it back to the refinery and dump into fuel, emats, and bmats respectively for munitions and fuel, while thats cooking take the resource container and flatbed to a component yard and farm up to the pop and bring that back and let that cook for a couple hours,

Now here's where I'm stumped, whats the best way to transport the finished mats to the factory? Switch out the flatbed for a truck and load it up for the factory? Once I do that I try to get the munition crates cooking.

At this point its about a 2 hour hiatus waiting for the rmats to cook. And thats about as far as I've gotten.

Whats the best way to do this?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Couple of different factors going in different directions here. If you are making stuff with the intent to store for later you would get all the finished resources out of the refinery as crates and shipping crate/flatbed them to a Seaport or Depot. If you are going for immediate use or to make a MPF order you would just get stuff out with a normal truck. Let's do some numbers - and by "assault tank" I am going to assume a Silverhand for the moment

One Silverhand: 170 RMats
4 crates of 40mm: 640 BMat, 480 EMat
4 crates of 60mm: 480 BMat, 480 EMat

This means you are looking at at least 2 trips from the refinery to a factory to make all the crates of shells as the total amount of B/EMat is well past the 15 slot limit on a truck. So your best bet would be to get the boxes of shells going and then go make the Silverhand. Take it and then park it (and lock it) near a structure with a stockpile, go get the boxes of shells and deposit them into this structure. Then you get to enjoy the tedium of pulling all those shells out with a truck and putting them into the tank 15 at a time :suicide: .

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

MREBoy posted:

Then you get to enjoy the tedium of pulling all those shells out with a truck and putting them into the tank 15 at a time :suicide: .

Yeah I'm seeing the upper limits of their supply chokes. Seems like there should be a better way, hope they some day put a focus on better refining this wierd loop.

Its just not very clear on some things. Oh well, new content soon so guess I'll see what that adds

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Here is a video of the current update that rolled out today.

Some of these changes seem pretty interesting to me.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Now that its out wheres the goon regiment.

I checked the discord but its been quiet for almost a month

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

From what I can tell the old core that drove the game in the early access years are busy working or bunkered down for the Pandemic. Most people in the Discord idle have forgotten the game exists or just moved on.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I started up the Goon Regiment thing on Warden side. Hit me up on discord because both invitee and inviter have to be online and in the same region to be able to invite into the regiment.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If I have free time I’ll be joining. I’ve been busy for a minute.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Game hit a new pop record of 2300-2400ish players last night :woop: . This had the unfortunate side effect of breaking the in-game voice chat system enough the devs had to turn off cross-faction voice for the moment. The game is also apparently on sale and managed to hit the front page of the Steam store to boot.

In other news the Warden side has taken an early lead in game with the Colonials being pushed completely out of a number of zones overnight. The casualty rate in game is so high the devs were forced to early unlock Trauma kits and Field Hospitals (and buff the Hospitals) because the rate was approaching the point where if the playerbase had literally every factory in the game producing shirts 24/7 at 100% efficiency it couldn't keep up with the rate of consumption :wtc: :stonkhat: .

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Time to get my medic practice in and try and join this GOON clan.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

MREBoy posted:

Game hit a new pop record of 2300-2400ish players last night :woop: . This had the unfortunate side effect of breaking the in-game voice chat system enough the devs had to turn off cross-faction voice for the moment. The game is also apparently on sale and managed to hit the front page of the Steam store to boot.

In other news the Warden side has taken an early lead in game with the Colonials being pushed completely out of a number of zones overnight. The casualty rate in game is so high the devs were forced to early unlock Trauma kits and Field Hospitals (and buff the Hospitals) because the rate was approaching the point where if the playerbase had literally every factory in the game producing shirts 24/7 at 100% efficiency it couldn't keep up with the rate of consumption :wtc: :stonkhat: .

i spent 5 hours doing nothing but shirt runs and each delivery would melt away in 5 minutes

:pram:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Goast posted:

i spent 5 hours doing nothing but shirt runs and each delivery would melt away in 5 minutes

:pram:

Yeah things are hitting walls that have not been hit before. The person who mathed out the shirt thing figured out that 30 factories putting out shirts non-stop is about 13,500/hour and would use like 80k bmats. Right now the combined death rate is a bit over 8,500/hour. Latest adaptation to the popsplosion is that the priority timer you get when you travel from one zone to another has been cut down from 15 mins to ??? (not in game, won't be for a few hrs) plus special border bases used to start attacks in other zones will pop up automatically. New pop record is 2,471 as of about 1.5 - 2 hrs. ago :drat: .

e2a: Here's an image that the devs made to show starting positions & tech for this war - blue scribbles are areas captured by Wardens and green by Collies over the last 2 days & 5 hours, see if you can spot the differences ! :hawaaaafap:

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 26, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The lore official name for the MP40 of this universe is Fiddler, I am going to nickname it the wanker because why not.

Also, game is on sale for eleven dollars right now.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
With this discount I might go on and buy this although there are two things that kept me from buying until now:

1) I have checked some streams for the last few weeks and the community seems toxic as hell.
2) vehicles being able to just drive through everything, like barbed wire and trenches, unharmed seemed a bit low effort.

edit: I just saw a guy drive with a tank over a trench and it was destroyed and everybody in the trench just died. looked pretty silly but I would forgive with it being early access and all.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 27, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is a fine WW1.5 reenactment simulator. Well worth the sale price to go hard for 20 hours, then dip in and out of future wars going forward.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Time to get my medic practice in and try and join this GOON clan.

Poke me or the two other guys on discord because both you and I/them have to be ingame in the same region to hand out regiment invitations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Danann posted:

Poke me or the two other guys on discord because both you and I/them have to be ingame in the same region to hand out regiment invitations.

If I see you on and in the Discord I can pop in for a few minutes to get this sorted.

But yeah the game is early access and some of the community are buts (video game army men always has butts) but do roll the dice with the discount as if we can get things started again it will actually be fun. Playing alone just isn't the same.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Playing alone is not the same, but it is p cool. You can wander a battlefield as a tourist, climb into any passing truck that honks and types "to the front" and enter a meat grinder. You go click on a scrap pile and put that scrap in a box. Every single this you do ~has~ an impact, but it is all imperceptible.

Personally, I instinctually start on finding a truck as soon as I log in. First step is wrench, then a quick scan around whichever of Callihans Clothing Item towns I spawn in. If no infrastructure is avaliable I have gotten to be seat in truck from scrap and fuel in 30 minutes.

Them I just join a loggie channel and a request becomes my Death Stranding objective. It is an odd, beautiful game.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

KirbyKhan posted:

Them I just join a loggie channel and a request becomes my Death Stranding objective. It is an odd, beautiful game.

Now, you just said the magic words. Buying now.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Pigbottom posted:

1) I have checked some streams for the last few weeks and the community seems toxic as hell.

Foxhole has a ridiculously toxic community. Many of the high-rank/highly experienced players have spent so much time poopsocking this game they've become extremely emotionally invested in it, and therefore flip their poo poo at anyone who they think is in their way.

I've been cussed out over VOIP for destroying an enemy field artillery that someone wanted captured, nevermind that I stopped said FA from getting off the last 2 shots it needed to finish a field base. I've gotten the same treatment for responding to a logi call for help but missing my first rifle shot, or for taking desperately needed shirts to a frontline that needed them. It's simultaneously depressing and hilarious how mentally unstable much of the active playerbase is. The game can be really fun but absolutely be prepared to encounter rampant toxicity from people who get away with anything because of their ingame rank.

Also have fun with the multiboxing alts/spies that the devs deny the existence of.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 27, 2021

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I had a look at the subreddit for the game with all this update stuff coming out and it's such a turnoff to see all the Warden memes featuring Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The game is as toxic as csgo and r6s you have to employ mute just as liberally. Nevermind that collies called me the N word or C bomb when I was or they were bleeding out, the racists and vile swine aren't the only people on the server with you, unlike csgo and r6s.
You can engage in the gameplay loop without them entering your bubble. Finding a front where you can sneak in and demolish towers unopposed or creep up on a pair of builders is more dependant on your skills and awareness than using a dozen shirts an hour in the meatgrinder.

I played the game for hundreds of hours never interacting with clans or mic 'leaders' or even delivering them supplies - I practised logistics; visiting hotspots, ignoring requests for shotguns (four hours and counting), taking note of inventory, finding a quiet town then producing and delivering the missing items. It's easier now because there's a logbook.