Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I mean me and like 85% of the people in c-spam were like "liberals only care about bad poo poo because the Orange Man is doing it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

KaptainKrunk posted:

I mean me and like 85% of the people in c-spam were like "liberals only care about bad poo poo because the Orange Man is doing it."

It's one thing to know and another thing to live it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

yeah lol, has anything actually happened as a result of "being called in front of congress to be grilled" in the last like, 10 years even?

Congress is just a youtube content factory where the monetization scheme is campaign contributions

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

etalian posted:

libs believe real life is like a Marvel video with obvious good guys (our team!) and the bad guys (Trump/Russiagate!)

the first MCU movie I ever saw was Winter Soldier and let me tell you, coming into that with a tenancy to analyze things from a leftist and materialist perspective, that movie was fuckin wild. IIRC the final arc was literally "oh no, this oversightless machine that sees and monitors all and kills on a whim those it considers impure that the good guys have been building is actually bad.....because the bad guys tricked them into making it!"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

the first MCU movie I ever saw was Winter Soldier and let me tell you, coming into that with a tenancy to analyze things from a leftist and materialist perspective, that movie was fuckin wild. IIRC the final arc was literally "oh no, this oversightless machine that sees and monitors all and kills on a whim those it considers impure that the good guys have been building is actually bad.....because the bad guys tricked them into making it!"

"we have to go rogue and destroy the national security apparatus, it cant be disentangled from fascism" is about as close to a tiny amount of reflection as a disney franchise has ever gotten so theres that

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

The only high skill doctors are surgeons, they're like a guy who can paint a whole scene onto a tiny golden egg, it's a bizarre physical talent

I had some vein surgery on my leg with an IR doc, those guys are also loving magicians

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

"we have to go rogue and destroy the national security apparatus, it cant be disentangled from fascism" is about as close to a tiny amount of reflection as a disney franchise has ever gotten so theres that

yeah it was all over the place, just turning on a dime instead of settling for affordable access to means tested omnimalevolent murder machine oversight avoidance for small business owners who opened an arms dealership within its sphere of operation for more than 3 years

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We can't destroy it though, think about the jobs that will be destroyed by doing so!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cases are going down because the numbers are wrong

https://twitter.com/eliowa/status/1363170016783310849?s=19

lol

https://twitter.com/madelyndlewis/status/1363204710371528706?s=19

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmaoooooo

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

fosborb posted:

lmaoooooo

ah yes the delta function stage of the pandemic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Third wave but it’s that mountain sized wall of water from interstellar

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Superunknown is like 26 years old :psyduck:

Spoon just posted on the Facebook about the 20th anniversary of seminal indie rock album Girls Can Tell and it made me feel extremely old

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

The quantitative scientist in me immediately ask how that 12% mortality compares to the baseline mortality rate for non-covid related hospitalized patients with similar demographic profiles (age, weight etc).

A bit behind, but: the article mentions this. Control is around 2%, though it is unclear whether this is normalized (the original paper will probably mention this, I haven't clicked through).

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

fischtick posted:

I used to say it scares me that the older I get, the more I like trains. The quarantine has shown me there's something both better and worse out there: birds.

We've had feeders for years, and I filled them with a generic Costco seed medley until I noticed the chickadees sifting through the seeds, tossing everything on the ground to get at the black sunflower seeds -- the snickers of the birdseed world, apparently. So gently caress it, I started buying 40lb. sacks of black sunflower seeds. Chickadees, nuthatches, and finches love them. Nuthatches eat upside down! We broke out our old bird books and started keeping track. Warning sign #1: books

On a whim, I took a look at the suet feeders at the bird shop (warning sign #2: have a preferred bird shop) and found one I liked. The bird shop had a literal wall of suet, maybe 50 different flavors/kinds. A guy came in, squatted down next to me, and grabbed a case of Spicy Bugs. I asked him about it, and the gist was the suet is full of spicy stuff. Birds ain't got no taste buds, to make a generalization, but squirrels sure do. I got in line behind him with my own case.

The suet is amazing! In early winter we had scrub jays (which we thought were female Steller's Jays this whole time), then the Northern Flickers showed up, and the Downy Woodpeckers, and when it got super cold last week we had some varied thrush show up. I don't even mind the starlings. Imagine 12-16 little birds trying to feed from a feeder roughly the size of a CD case. It's hilarious!

The star of the show so far is the Townsend's Warbler. He's a tiny little fucker, but he's got these bright Nike-running-shoes looking, practically retroreflective yellow streaks. Photos don't do it justice. It's other worldly. According to the Cornell bird app (warning #3: there's an app for that), he's pretty uncommon! Imagine seeing this dude on a background of drab gray outside your window at the start of your day:

Again, the pics do him zero justice. It's this amazing swoosh of yellow that's 100% outside the palette of the PACNW this time of year.

*exhales* so yeah, I like birds.

if you're around portland, there are some fantastic social groups for birders -- Birds Beers PDX is primo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm calling on Pritzker to deploy the National Guard to the Mississippi River. We need to blow up that bridge that connects the Quad cities.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm calling on Pritzker to deploy the National Guard to the Mississippi River. We need to blow up that bridge that connects the Quad cities.

I was lead to believe there was a train I could ride????

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In any case it is I who shall kiss all the girls... and then never call them again!! :hehe: :mrapig:

What exactly is happening here? Is the Texas increase in spite of fudging the numbers or are they being real about it? Has their reporting capacity been affected at all by the recent weather?

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:27 on Feb 21, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Naw, that's not what they did. They stopped reporting 'individuals positive' so suddenly the info only shows 'positive tests' which has been about 25,000 higher the whole time. You can still tease out the individuals positive number from the info they put out but you have to calculate it instead of just getting it. That number didn't jump.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2dSBFnvmmE

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's a lovely change to how they report data but it wasn't a dump of thousands of hidden positives.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

It's a lovely change to how they report data but it wasn't a dump of thousands of hidden positives.

They have 15x more positives than tests today lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Naw, that's not what they did. They stopped reporting 'individuals positive' so suddenly the info only shows 'positive tests' which has been about 25,000 higher the whole time. You can still tease out the individuals positive number from the info they put out but you have to calculate it instead of just getting it. That number didn't jump.

you don't actually have to calculate it out. it's on the positive case analysis page.

and you're right. it's the switch over

it's still a hilarious spike on a bunch of trackers, but it's not horrifying like when they added all those catch up deaths like 2 weeks ago

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/20/bird-flu-humans-infected-with-h5n8-strain-for-first-time-in-russia

quote:

The H5N8 strain is deadly for birds, and this marks the first transmission of the strain from animals to humans. While Popova said the strain didn’t appear to be able to spread among humans, “only time will tell how soon future mutations will allow it to overcome this barrier”.

The discovery of this strain “gives us all, the whole world, time to prepare for possible mutations and the possibility to react in a timely way and develop test systems and vaccines,” she said.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Teenage Riot posted:

Spoon just posted on the Facebook about the 20th anniversary of seminal indie rock album Girls Can Tell and it made me feel extremely old

Oh man

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Makes me curious, do they actually make enough flu vaccine for everyone to get it? Or do they just assume that a shitload of people won't get it every year and make enough for whatever the trendline predicts?

I assume the latter :capitalism:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

SplitSoul posted:

quote:

The discovery of this strain “gives us all, the whole world, time to prepare for possible mutations and the possibility to react in a timely way and develop test systems and vaccines,” she said.

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Teenage Riot posted:

Never heard of it op

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
P100 vs flu is like fighting a caveman with a howitzer

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

P100 vs flu is like fighting a caveman with a howitzer

which is which

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

inferis posted:

which is which

The flu is the caveman, there was hardly a seasonal flu this year with cloth masks and dicknoses

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ok here’s the deal unless the R0 for this is wacky high compared to all other flu strains then its pretty much nothing to worry about at the moment. The absolute minimal halfassed poo poo people have done for Covid had pushed the flu this year through the goddamn floor.

like its just amazing how more infectious coronavirus is in general

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
It's going to be real sad when people go back to never wearing masks during flu season after this is all over when we've seen from the flu numbers that even our lovely masks can save probably thousands of lives from the flu.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fosborb posted:

lmaoooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LOWKVq5sQ&t=11s

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Shipon posted:

It's going to be real sad when people go back to never wearing masks during flu season after this is all over when we've seen from the flu numbers that even our lovely masks can save probably thousands of lives from the flu.

I think wearing a mask and hoarding beans are going to be things I'll always be doing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/NewsBFM/status/1363313196916871174

vaccine pls

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
It's been 2 weeks since my second Moderna shot and to celebrate, I left the house with a KN95 instead of a respirator! Went on a short hike by my house, went inside a store rather than doing curbside pickup, and picked up a milkshake since I don't need to reheat my takeout anymore. It felt weird, but, good?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SchnorkIes posted:

The flu is the caveman, there was hardly a seasonal flu this year with cloth masks and dicknoses

Yeah, I keep saying that the really underplayed story of 2020 is that we've let something drastically more transmissible than the flu just run absolutely wild. That seems like a really big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Greg Legg posted:

I think wearing a mask and hoarding beans are going to be things I'll always be doing.

same, plus never seeing people

“sorry i only hang out on THE INTERNET”