Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (April 16, 1918)

They can pay us to endure the public's abuse, Everett, but some of us refuse to pretend to be happy about it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies-1951-54

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Drakyn posted:

'I'm not sure the cow understood what I meant.' is one hell of a pre-prepped avatar for someone.

edit: also a very very late review while I have this on my mind: new Mark Trail is messy, but it's the energetic kind of messy that I enjoy, rather than whatever the hell it was via the creepy ol' coot and his combination of clip-art, tracing, and hashish-addled scribbling. The pacing is surprisingly quick for a serial newspaper strip too. I can get why some people got stuck on the fireworks in the helicopter, but I put that in the same action scene ballpark as 'punching someone unconscious is perfectly harmless' but for vehicles.
(also the Sunday animals are amazing)

i wasn't able to identify why or put it into words, but you've defined exactly why Boatsplosion2: Many Casualties, Millions in Damage didn't bother me, even though i felt like it should

also, drat that last mammila is powerful

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's the end of Serial Monogamy! I apologize again for the long delays here. I'm defending my dissertation in under two months, am in the middle of buying a house, and I'm also trying to settle all my outstanding medical stuff while I'm still here.

...and that's it for Dykes to Watch Out For: The Sequel, volume four of the collected DtWOF! Next up is 1993's Spawn of Dykes to Watch Out For!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/WomanCorn/status/1350662278027337730

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Club life in Moominvalley

With the next story/next volume I'll be experimenting a bit with the scans. Since I did vol 1-3 in a batch on a lovely scanner over a year ago I'll have to adjust things a bit now that I'm scanning on a different one.
Gotta figure out what to do with the books too, if I keep them in black and white or what. (For whatever reason, vol 5-7 are printed on some very yellow paper, it's odd. 1-4 is more slightly-off-white.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OH NO ZITS IS HAVING A GO AT BEING PROGRESSIVE

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/19/01

Stephen Collins

Keir Starmer, the current head of the Labor party.

Brenda Starr 12/6-8/45

Smokey Stover 7/9/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 14, 1943)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Sweden wasn't in war with the Ottoman Empire, but the book says that Bertelsköld spent time in Austria and Hungary.

I have no idea, if it's technically correct to call Riksdag of the Estates "the National Assembly", but I just did.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is born every minute.

Working Daze god just fire him.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is something I could look at all day.

Cul De Sac is a little too realistic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: That's pretty good.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Imagine coming into this story at this point and there's Lothar speaking in one panel and knocked out in the next.

On the other hand, I've been reading this the whole time and I have no idea who that guy talking in the last panel is.

F Minus

The guy was happy, the neighborhood was happy--this guy is a jerk.

Mark Trail

But first, let me tell you some facts about the opossum.

Mary Worth

Now he's gonna go blab it all the Mary.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 23, 1974)

Harry Dinklebean

"Now there's something you don't see every day, Edgar."
"What's that, Chauncey?"
"A 'lost boomer' gag drawn by another lost boomer."

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 22, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 24-26, 1936)

Toonerville Folks: On Monday, my latest soggy attempt to track down the "official" publication order begins, but before that, here's a double dollop of the ones that we wouldn't otherwise get to under the new plan. (February 23, March 5, 10, 22-24, 1917 (in Richmond VA, at least))

And in other news, I stumbled across yet another Percy Crosby feature. It was published in mid-to-late 1916, which is the right time frame for what Wikipedia calls "The Clancy Kids", but my source doesn't give it a proper title. This one didn't last very long, since by 1917 he was an enlisted officer drawing rookie cartoons for another syndicate.

Anyway, Saturday's the only day on my schedule with no Crosby content, so today seems like a good place to park it.

(August 21, 1916)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 20, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 14, 1943)

Do not stand between Ingrid and what she wants. She will cut you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I went from having no glasses to having progressives and it was like putting on a new set of eyes. I've heard so much about how people have to learn to use them and see with them. But all I did was put them on and wow, everything's in focus, close and far away. Walked out the store with them on and been wearing them for almost a year now.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Know what? Credit where it's due. I can relate to Michael here. I have definitely had the experience as a teen of knowing a friend of mine is going through some rough poo poo and wanting desperately to help and telling them they can talk to me and then... nothing. And I had pretty much the same baffled reaction to that as Michael is having. I don't know where Lynn will go with this, but outside of context this individual strip works.

Inside of context it makes perfect sense that Gordon wouldn't be too jazzed to talk about what's going on. Even aside from the fact that talking about your abuse is a pretty rough conversation for a variety of reasons, he's tried opening up about what's going on and the authority figures he told about it did jack poo poo to help him, so why would he think talking about it will help him now? That particular interpretation may not have been Lynn's intention, but it's still there. I'll give her the credit for it anyway, at least until some future strip makes it clear that wasn't what she was going for.

Jesus fuckin' Christ, Bernice.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Pretty sure Bernice wants to be a counsellor or social worker or whatever so she can make people behave the way she thinks they should, not out of any compassion or desire to help people. I'm amazed she isn't punched in the mouth daily.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Extremely unrealistic because it would be the dad that gets me to take the dog out when the dog bugs him to take them out

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernice shut the gently caress up for once, jesus christ. She's somehow more self centered than Luann.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

FO:unsmigghh:

Bizarro

Compu-Toon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah, there it is. The "my kids don't know how good they have it with me" angle. Was expecting her to spin it that way.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Slylock Fox needed here ... it was probably a raccoon though (not pictured)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ah, there it is. The "my kids don't know how good they have it with me" angle. Was expecting her to spin it that way.

We'll be back to yelling and griping by Tuesday

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Jesus gently caress, Bernice. Just appalling.

I know we're past it by this point, but post-Soviet Modesty Blaise feels weird.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 9th, 1940

Axa

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

OK, Axa. That's a pretty alright fungus-tree-zombie.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Julet Esqu posted:

Jesus fuckin' Christ, Bernice.

I want to know authorial intent here. Because while I"m sure the evanses don't believe Bernice is like totally in the right here, I think they feel they're portraying her in a way that's amusing and lighthearted rather than, like, completely obnoxious and unrelatable.

I think I figured out yet another piece of the puzzle that bugs me regarding hcaracterization and plot in Luann. As we've observed time and time again the comic started off as a slice of life middle school comic. You had some silly storylines, some more dramatic ones. Particularly as the gang aged up, it felt like the Evanses were trying to lean more toward "dramatic" and "serious." Even the art backs this tone up- like it's not hyper realistic, but it's not super cartoony either- it's art that looks like it belongs to a story that wants to be taken seriously. yet the past few years it seems like the evanses just can't help but try to write goofy wacky comedy and it's just always jarring and out of place given the art and just... how badly written it is. It's a really good example of a comic that should ahve just stuck with what it knew how to do at the beginning (preteen me LOVED Luann in the early 00's, it worked), then tried to fly too close to the sun and "level up" and it's just uncomfortable and awkward.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack IT BEGINS.

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Is this guy asking how a professional athlete pays for his nanny?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lookit that guinea pig :3:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 7, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 17, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 2, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 27, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 27, 1935)

Dark Laughter (November 29, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (August 24, 1947)

Those Were the Days (September 20, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 18, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 18, 1965)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (September 20, 1951)

So in the good ol days people disrespected old stuff but now in the bad new days idiots have respect for old stuff?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
gay’s scarf has got me anxious as gently caress right now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack IT BEGINS.

No no NO it's gonna be 18 months of dumb goth baby jokes and I'm gonna claw my eyes out

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

What the gently caress is this new monstrosity?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Technowolf posted:

What the gently caress is this new monstrosity?

I certainly hope it's just a Fantasia reference and not a soon-to-be recurring character.