Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

CLEARLY

Unpopular video game opinions: you actually *did* like it

yeah from the 100 hours, the entire 4 days, it is clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah from the 100 hours, the entire 4 days, it is clear

Beep boop

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

Oh she's nice if you take her side on things though. I mean the checklist you gave was brutality being sanitized through management and PR statements (this is what Lynette represents exactly), literal slavery (non-citizens), and massacring an entire town for not giving something they want (Gecko). She is absolutely a huge piece of poo poo, but she is also all about decorum and bureaucracy, which seems to me to be what you were talking about. She'll get upset with you for calling out slavery as slavery, and she even uses the power plant water contamination as an excuse for genocide and gets upset if you solve the problem without loving over the ghouls. If you show her your vault suit, agree with slavery, kill every ghoul in Gecko and shut down the plant, etc, then she'll be nice as hell. Bureaucrats love a sycophant.

i like that there is "official path to citizenship" for vault city. but it requires taking a test that is impossible unless you have genius level 10 in both intelligence and perception and 9 luck

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rutibex posted:

i like that there is "official path to citizenship" for vault city. but it requires taking a test that is impossible unless you have genius level 10 in both intelligence and perception and 9 luck

gently caress that, go big or go home and become Captain of the Guard

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

signalnoise posted:

Unavoidable, this is a Bioware game

lol yeah that was so loving awkward in mass effect, because it would just be like "I'm being a normal decently social person with my crew," that inevitably lead to dialogue tree choice of "[stick it in]" vs "Actually I think you suck" at least my man garrus never wanted into my pants
in me1 at least

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Meme Poker Party posted:

By this logic, are not allowed to claim a TV show was bad if you finished watching it. To be allowed to say it was bad, you must quit watching before the halfway point, confident it is unsalvageable.

Sunk cost or the simple human desire to see things through? Not in Caesar Saladin's world!

I feel like you can get away with this for a TV show or a movie because once you put it on you don't really have to do anything but sit there and take it. It's a very passive experience. But you have to keep actively choosing to engage with a game and even if masochism is your kink that's still pleasure you're deriving from the experience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You could just watch literally anything else. One hour and half movie is one thing but keeping a tv show you don't like on for 40 hours or whatever the gently caress that's an explicit choice on your part

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yep and people choose to experience things they don't like all the time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

The only unrealistic part is that you can't just buy your way in instead

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

signalnoise posted:

Yep and people choose to experience things they don't like all the time

If you experience absolutely nothing but hatred and receive no gratification whatsoever why would you do that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

site posted:

If you experience absolutely nothing but hatred and receive no gratification whatsoever why would you do that?

game as game vs game as dissociative drug for your lovely life

peeps will take their smack even if it's stepped on with horse dewormer

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you played something for 100 hours, and sat down and returned to it like, 20 times out of your own volition, clearly you enjoyed it at least moderately. If you hated it you'd be too bored or irritated to continue. 20 hours, sure. But 100 hours is a crazy.

Counterpoint: people used to complete lucasarts adventure games, without the internet or guides

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

poverty goat posted:

Counterpoint: people used to complete lucasarts adventure games, without the internet or guides

you had to ask other kids at recess

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

you had to ask other kids at recess

My recess friend only had the indiana jones game, and I only had monkey island

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

site posted:

People do things they hate even if it's just for the opportunity to hate them

Some people do things they hate because they want to participate in the conversation about those things

Some people do things they hate so that when someone tells them their opinion is worthless about something if they didn't do it, they can say they did do it, and that that guy should shut the gently caress up about the validity of other people's feelings about stuff

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing games to have "fun" is ridiculous, you can't even measure "fun". I myself only play games I detest, and then go on the internet and complain about them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

monkey island 2 sold like 100k copies, grim fandango sold 500k

you can sell 100k things to anybody w decent distro channels

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well this makes me feel a little better about buying beer every Friday and Saturday even though all it does is make me sleepy, at the least. At least I'm not consuming hundreds of hours of poo poo I don't like because I can't afford therapy or actively refuse to seek it out

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you played something for 100 hours, and sat down and returned to it like, 20 times out of your own volition, clearly you enjoyed it at least moderately. If you hated it you'd be too bored or irritated to continue. 20 hours, sure. But 100 hours is a crazy.

also this theory assumes that you have something else to do which would be better than a bad game, which you are choosing not to do in favor of the game. a terrible 100 hour game was better than a random sample of 100 hours from 2020 for many people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

site posted:

Well this makes me feel a little better about buying beer every Friday and Saturday even though all it does is make me sleepy, at the least. At least I'm not consuming hundreds of hours of poo poo I don't like because I can't afford therapy or actively refuse to seek it out

Nice humblebrag

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm the lol reasoning in many of these posts that equates "person said it was bad" with "they actively hated every moment of it from the start".

Imagine an experience being less than 100% great or terrible the entire way through, with no variation. Or an opinion of something being based on the sum of its parts. lol!!!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 21, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

poverty goat posted:

also this theory assumes that you have something else to do which would be better than a bad game, which you are choosing not to do in favor of the game. a terrible 100 hour game was better than a random sample of 100 hours from 2020 for many people.

There are literally tens of thousands of games, movies, tv shows, books, comics, and albums you could spend your time on instead

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

site posted:

There are literally tens of thousands of games, movies, tv shows, books, comics, and albums you could spend your time on instead

I would say I actively disliked Ghosts of Tsushima's story enough that I could say that I didn't like the whole game.

But I still 100%ed it because the mechanics were satisfying enough, and it looked pretty.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

a huge part of my statement is the fact that the game is 100 hours long. Its not a 6 hour game you can put behind you easily, its a massive amount of time to spend on something that you supposedly didn't like. 100 hours is one of the longest single player linear video games you could possibly play.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MrQueasy posted:

I would say I actively disliked Ghosts of Tsushima's story enough that I could say that I didn't like the whole game.

But I still 100%ed it because the mechanics were satisfying enough, and it looked pretty.

But that's fine! You liked the game and liked playing it, even if you disliked the story. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is about disliking everything and continuing to consume the product anyways

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

site posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is about disliking everything and continuing to consume the product anyways

Nobody claimed this.

Who would claim this.

Even if someone had, you should assume it's a joke because it's ridiculous.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Meme Poker Party posted:

Nobody claimed this.

Who would claim this.

Even if someone had, you should assume it's a joke because it's ridiculous.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yes, people literally will do that, sometimes out of hope it gets better, sometimes out of a sunk cost because they enjoyed it previously. Sometimes they're trapped in a pandemic and feel they literally have nothing else to do.
There's even the hate watch/play thing. Where someone will say 'gently caress it, I don't enjoy this, but I will beat it.' I know someone who absolutely is not a fan of soulsbourne games but now has hate beat 3 of them because other friends keep gushing about them or saying "Yeah, but Sekiro/Bloodborne/whatever is different" idk why, but he does it

signalnoise posted:

People do things they hate even if it's just for the opportunity to hate them

Some people do things they hate because they want to participate in the conversation about those things

Some people do things they hate so that when someone tells them their opinion is worthless about something if they didn't do it, they can say they did do it, and that that guy should shut the gently caress up about the validity of other people's feelings about stuff

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
signalnoise my man, how do you do it?

Like half your posts in here are maximum irony memes (I like em though), and this guy is here quoting you at me like you made a scholarly argument.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I dunno man at some point I stopped caring about trying to get everyone to like me and that made some people like me more and some people like me less

Also I am pedantic for a living (academic editor) so if I wanna say some aphoristic poo poo I'm pretty fluent in that I suppose

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

site posted:

But that's fine! You liked the game and liked playing it, even if you disliked the story. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is about disliking everything and continuing to consume the product anyways

actually, near the end it felt more like an obligation or compulsion, which is what collect-a-thons and achievements are designed to exploit.

I wouldn't recommend people playing it, going so far as to say "I didn't like Ghosts of Tsushima". The story is that bad.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

collectathons are designed to exploit the fact that its really fun to run around and collect things, they aren't designed to deviously capitalise on a flaw in the human condition

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Also I am 100% honest most of the time and just know that loads of people loving hate themselves so it is not at all wild speculation to say some people will genuinely do poo poo they think is really bad for the sake of doing it

Like, here's a guy who played through Dark Souls with literally every hostile entity being Gwyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjcpqFRnGuQ

It took him about 16 hours just to get through the Asylum. He could have done something else for views. He did this. The genre is now being called "masocore". I have tried enjoying Assassin's Creed games. They suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goGGvYV2iPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMqOhmQ5vY

Sometimes I will play a game just because it is poo poo. Here's Mirror's Edge Catalyst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LFCeqjuWY

I would have kept playing this game despite it being poo poo, but I stopped because it was buggy and I'd run into poo poo like this. The only movie I have ever walked out of was the live action/CGI Bill Murray version of Garfield. I watched all of Stuck On You in the theater because my buddy kept me there out of spite for suggesting it when we got there and didn't know what to see after the movie we wanted was sold out or something. A game can be poo poo and get completed. What stops people from beating games is boredom or bugs. Games that are a trainwreck of bad writing can be stupid and a hateful experience, but spite is a powerful motivator. That doesn't mean you like them when you beat them, it means the game was so poo poo that it kept your spiteful attention. Like, as much as I hate what's going on in politics, I can't help but tell some asshat on twitter to suck my balls

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I dunno man at some point I stopped caring about trying to get everyone to like me and that made some people like me more and some people like me less

This is the way. You are living a free life (of posting).

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Look up The Completionist on youtube sommetime. Basically an entire (popular) channel dedicated to playing games long after they've lost their luster just to tick off boxes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

collectathons are designed to exploit the fact that its really fun to run around and collect things, they aren't designed to deviously capitalise on a flaw in the human condition

Holy poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Phigs posted:

Look up The Completionist on youtube sommetime. Basically an entire (popular) channel dedicated to playing games long after they've lost their luster just to tick off boxes.

It's different when it's a professional content creator. You think they are doing something they hate, because you think the activity is the game. But the activity is "getting views and engagement", which they love.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Meme Poker Party posted:

It's different when it's a professional content creator. You think they are doing something they hate, because you think the activity is the game. But the activity is "getting views and engagement", which they love.

the best way to learn to hate to do something you love is to make it your job

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

the best way to learn to hate to do something you love is to make it your job

Many an erstwhile twitch streamer has learned this cold truth.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yes but he's not the only one who does stuff like this. He's just one of the ones making money off of it.

I've definitely gotten the achievement bug before, playing poo poo I knew was unfun just to tick off those boxes. I broke myself of that poo poo fairly quick but just because I was able to doesn't mean other people can't or that they should go get therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

edit: eh whatever

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 21, 2021