Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ignite Memories posted:

I mean, there's an enemy support usually,

unless the enemy support is alistar they can't do anything if leona hits zenith blade. and if they're level 1 alistar they probably still can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Getting level 2 first and then aggressively punishing the gently caress out of the opponent for not doing it as fast as you is probably the most important thing especially on a support like Leona.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

unless the enemy support is alistar they can't do anything if leona hits zenith blade. and if they're level 1 alistar they probably still can't

uhh if you went in by yourself they can 2v1 you while you deal (self described) half the enemy adc's health in damage. Leona's strong as gently caress but let's not mislead people.

Sooner or later someone has to deal the other half of the enemy adc's health in damage.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

leona can easily solo a level 1 adc when she is level 2, so no, it absolutely does not depend on that even a little. the level 2 leona all in does 280 damage with just the abilities basically. i mean it would be nice if the adc helped but that will half health most full health bot laners by itself.

Half health isn’t dead and you sure as poo poo won’t be full health.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
As someone who's one-tricking Leona this season, I'm much more worried about an ADC that pushes the first wave too hard than I am an ADC that will not auto attack the caught opponent once when I go in. People that don't like to play support will complain about how badly their solo queue ADCs play, and I've had some bad ones this year, but an ADC literally ignoring a Leona going in at level 2 pretty much doesn't happen. They gently caress up in other ways

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ignite Memories posted:

uhh if you went in by yourself they can 2v1 you while you deal (self described) half the enemy adc's health in damage. Leona's strong as gently caress but let's not mislead people.

Sooner or later someone has to deal the other half of the enemy adc's health in damage.

oh, well if you're a support whose adc won't help you and the enemy bot lane will coordinately 2v1 you then you won't ever win any games, that's truly unfortunate a situation honestly.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Do goons typically group up for playing together? I figure at some point I'll hit a wall where there's nothing really left but the grind, and it will be nice to play with some friends at that point rather than play psychopath roulette :)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the goon stack is real and a lot of fun

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doulos posted:

That's genuinely adorable, I've never felt bad for a Sett before.

My favourite thing about these animations is Cute Fiddlesticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjdkHVwysJE

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

kingcobweb posted:

Philosophically there’s only one guide you ever need for support

https://youtu.be/aSHvzZy1YZA

During laning phase you’re about 80% of the power in the lane, and 15% is the jungler when they show up. Your job is to shove gold and kills down your ADC’s throat whether they want them or not, while making the opposing ADC miss as many minions as possible

As a ranged support, you do this by finding the exact right distance where you can hit the enemies with spells and autoattacks without dying yourself. Autos matter a LOT, if the enemy ADC takes one of your autos for every minion they hit, they’ll get scared off the wave and you win the lane easy

As a melee support your job is to Kill Them. I recommend Leona. There’s only four hits: you hitting level two, you hitting E, and something something they die

I also wanna point something out in this very important video that's probably obvious to most people but is easy to miss if you aren't looking for it: look at how aphro moves, more specifically than "owning manuevers", he's not actually Just Going In, he's moving back and forth, playing brushes and minion aggro, keeping them constantly off balance (while ezreal freefarms as a direct result) and the second corki overextends he punishes it. Like yes if you just mindlessly all-in you will probably die and generally be a lot more dependent on what your adc does, but that's not actually what people are suggesting you do

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Monicro posted:

I also wanna point something out in this very important video that's probably obvious to most people but is easy to miss if you aren't looking for it: look at how aphro moves, more specifically than "owning manuevers", he's not actually Just Going In, he's moving back and forth, playing brushes and minion aggro, keeping them constantly off balance (while ezreal freefarms as a direct result) and the second corki overextends he punishes it. Like yes if you just mindlessly all-in you will probably die and generally be a lot more dependent on what your adc does, but that's not actually what people are suggesting you do

Thanks for the clarification :D I actually really like the mindgames and pressure aspect of the game, it's something that I reflected on playing that DOTA2 where matched up with better players it felt like you were always getting pushed back and you were chunked every chance they got. Being constantly harassed and pressured is annoying as hell.

My main focus to start has been not getting picked off more than is necessary and putting my shield or other defensive ability on my friends when they get pressured. I will definitely look at pushing the boundary a bit and I'm going to try out this Leona that people are recommending because checking up on her abilities it looks like a role I can play well with practice :)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i know you're new so this won't really impact you but leona also has two of the coolest skins in the game. her lunar eclipse and solar eclipse skins may actually just be my favorite skins in the game, period. the effects are awesome and if you read up on her lore it also makes them cooler. plus the particle effects are kickin rad

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLH7PSq1L40

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha I forgot how loving long the bushes used to be.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've taken time off from the game since the lead up to Seraphine's release, just playing some ARAMS, and then I opened Seraphine's ult skin. So I unlocked her and I guess I'll play her on the Rift.

Does she actually just play like Sona in terms of how to lane, play teamfights, that sort of thing? Obviously she's an aggressive poke support.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Boxman posted:

I've taken time off from the game since the lead up to Seraphine's release, just playing some ARAMS, and then I opened Seraphine's ult skin. So I unlocked her and I guess I'll play her on the Rift.

Does she actually just play like Sona in terms of how to lane, play teamfights, that sort of thing? Obviously she's an aggressive poke support.

Huh, I kind of figured I was the only one to play a champ based on getting a random skin.

Way too often I dump my grand plan to really learn and one trick a given champ because "Oh cool, I got a sweet free skin for Soraka, I should support main her!"

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 18, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Getting a cool skin is 99% of the reason why I play any give champ.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I didn't play Miss Fortune until I pulled her Arcade skin.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skins are a crutch for players who are bad at the game. once you get good at league, you will instinctively turn all of yours off or only select skins that go with your team composition for camaraderie purposes

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
You what, taking star guardian poppy and punting their frontline away with pretty stars and sparkles is 99% why I ever play poppy

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Stunt_enby posted:

skins are a crutch for players who are bad at the game. once you get good at league, you will instinctively turn all of yours off or only select skins that go with your team composition for camaraderie purposes

its true the only time I can play mid is when I use mardi gras anivia. Without her hot rhythms accompanying the back, I just can't stay motivated.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

njsykora posted:

I didn't play Miss Fortune until I pulled her Star Guardian skin.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stunt_enby posted:

give me an option that disables everyone else's skins on my screen and only shows mine

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh vool you guys are all faker?? can i have some money

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

oh vool you guys are all faker?? can i have some money

I'm not faker but it's a certainty that if I miss enough hooks badly enough, one of them will eventually be a brilliant prediction and then I'm madlife

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

League noob update: today I played a game with a Kled (which I never had before) and that horn sound his R makes threw me off every single time as I thought it meant i was being targeted by some ability :(

Leona progress is going well. I've learned the following things:

-Start fight (using E) when at level 2
-Start fight (using E) whenever they are near your turret and your team-mate is relatively safe
-Start fight (using E) whenever someone roams to your lane to help out

any finer points of starting fight strategy i'm missing out on?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Any of the actually good players can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a Leona secret is, once you have E and Q, max your W. The slight damage increase you get from putting early points in QE are hella inferior compared to how thick that W will make you.

My belief is that what makes Leona good isn't her huge amounts of CC, but rather that she's so tanky that you basically just can't stop her from putting it on you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Stunt_enby posted:

:hmmyes:

Bleck posted:

Any of the actually good players can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a Leona secret is, once you have E and Q, max your W. The slight damage increase you get from putting early points in QE are hella inferior compared to how thick that W will make you.

My belief is that what makes Leona good isn't her huge amounts of CC, but rather that she's so tanky that you basically just can't stop her from putting it on you.

thats not really a secret thats just the normal build path and has been forever

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bleck posted:

you don't really need the W while aftershock is up

edit: also yes verv is right about the build path, but Leona is pretty safe going in at level 2 if your aftershock is up. aftershock is stupid.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 19, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The last three placement matches have been terrible, just awful, and yet I'm still kinda having fun? I think I might have a brain tumor.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Starsfan posted:

League noob update: today I played a game with a Kled (which I never had before) and that horn sound his R makes threw me off every single time as I thought it meant i was being targeted by some ability :(

-Start fight (using E) whenever they are near your turret and your team-mate is relatively safe

Watch the wave. It'll help you a lot when landing Es. ADCs are most vulnerable when they're about to attack move to a minion that is low, particularly if that minion is in the backline. If you want to catch them every time, get in their timing, you'll get some good engages.

Note that you're not going to successfully all in and win every single time you take a trade, some comps will just straight up kill your ADC on retaliation, you'll get that with experience, but it's important to understand that you can't always follow the same plan. A simple note on that, you don't always have to E first, if you can literally walk up and just Q somebody, you can hold onto E to hold them down when they use their dashes to escape, you can also Flash Q then E as they escape.

Biplane posted:

The last three placement matches have been terrible, just awful, and yet I'm still kinda having fun? I think I might have a brain tumor.

Placements don't really matter as much anymore. Just play as normal, you'll get to where you want to be eventually.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Starsfan posted:

There's a couple mechanical tricks to practice. Your Q is an auto reset, meaning that you can auto-Q-auto very quickly. Because of how her passive works, you want your ADC to auto them between every skill you hit, or you'll waste damage.

This is the precise ideal combo:

• hit E
  • activate W after your E connects
  • auto them
  • your ADC autos them, activating the Sunlight passive proc damage
  • Q to stun them
  • second auto
  • your ADC autos them again, passive proc #2
With E-auto-Q-auto, ignite, W exploding, your opponent will be very very dead. Because she's an early all-in champion, the extra two autos worth of damage you get, plus another passive proc, will often be the difference between an opponent living or dying.

I know this is very specific and mechanical about one champion, but it's a timing thing that once you have down, you'll have down forever. Glad you're enjoying her!

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
That is a class write-up, much appreciated! Leona games where you get an actual early all-in are so so much better, having ever trick to try and force a kill down my ADC's throat is much appreciated

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It really sucks when that ADC just throws it up anyways. Like if you are with anyone other than Ez , you should be able to dominate the lane with her.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dopa just did solo unranked to masters playing only lulu and janna. your adc doesnt matter

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Only if you want to have fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it sounds like your fun is blaming your losses on the adc, maybe you should play a different role

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The job of support is drag your ADC kicking and screaming to bragging about how they carried the whole team and you all suck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
That, but also while ending the game with all around better numbers than your ADC

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

it sounds like your fun is blaming your losses on the adc, maybe you should play a different role

Who said anything about loses? Sounds like you should go smug up a different thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Senna and Seph bot is a loving crime.

Heal heal heal heal heal