Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Ms Adequate posted:

[...]

I don't even know what I'm saying with this post really, just... guard yourself against letting nostalgia inform your politics because I can absolutely see how if this feeling is common rather than something that occasionally takes hold every few months, it's something you start to want changed, and you start listening to the people who promise to make you feel the way you did when you were young again.

This is a Good Post, thank you!

This last bit in particular reminds me of this particular kind of nostalgia for the days of the Soviet Union that is quite prevalent with certain cohorts of older boomer-y Russians and Eastern Europeans. It doesn't usually stem from leftist politics or anything like that -- if anything, they tend to be socially-conservative and fairly authoritarian. Rather, their nostalgia seems to be rooted in longing for this idealized, stable and safer-seeming time and place where everything made sense, and for this sense of belonging to something big and powerful and benevolent.

Naturally, this sense of nostalgia is masterfully exploited by certain politicians -- this is the main voting bloc behind the completely useless Communist Party of Russia, for example. It was also something that Mr. Putin leaned into heavily during his first few years in power. What's even worse, there's now a whole media industry that caters to this market - producing films, games, memorabilia and countless lovely books about some random everyman going back in time and personally warning Stalin/Brezhnev/Andropov about evil nazi/capitalist/liberal plots against the mighty USSR just in time and changing history.

Upon moving to the UK, I was genuinely surprised at how familiar it felt to hear the same kind of reminiscence about the good old days from the same cohort of people -- not to mention wistful musings on the awesomeness of the British Empire that were eerily similar to the musings on the awesomeness of the Soviet Union that I'd heard many times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Didn't Charles say, ages ago, he wasn't going to be King Charles?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I recommend simply not having any coherent memory of your life taking place over time, helps a lot with not feeling nostalgia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

nurmie posted:

This is a Good Post, thank you!

This last bit in particular reminds me of this particular kind of nostalgia for the days of the Soviet Union that is quite prevalent with certain cohorts of older boomer-y Russians and Eastern Europeans. It doesn't usually stem from leftist politics or anything like that -- if anything, they tend to be socially-conservative and fairly authoritarian. Rather, their nostalgia seems to be rooted in longing for this idealized, stable and safer-seeming time and place where everything made sense, and for this sense of belonging to something big and powerful and benevolent.

Naturally, this sense of nostalgia is masterfully exploited by certain politicians -- this is the main voting bloc behind the completely useless Communist Party of Russia, for example. It was also something that Mr. Putin leaned into heavily during his first few years in power. What's even worse, there's now a whole media industry that caters to this market - producing films, games, memorabilia and countless lovely books about some random everyman going back in time and personally warning Stalin/Brezhnev/Andropov about evil nazi/capitalist/liberal plots against the mighty USSR just in time and changing history.

Upon moving to the UK, I was genuinely surprised at how familiar it felt to hear the same kind of reminiscence about the good old days from the same cohort of people -- not to mention wistful musings on the awesomeness of the British Empire that were eerily similar to the musings on the awesomeness of the Soviet Union that I'd heard many times before.

Oh that's interesting, I had assumed it was people who may not have liked everything about the old USSR but at least liked the absence of hypercapitalist hell.

I will say though that the noble Alt Histroy genre of ISOT (Island in the Sea Of Time) is cool and good even though it's usually wanky as hell

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

nurmie posted:

It's exacerbated here as education of the British Empire - its policies, its actions, its legacy - is almost entirely glossed over until you reach higher education. More so I'd imagine for my parents and grandparents generation, which almost certainly didn't cover any of it in a negative light.

Obviously it's going to be taught differently for different people, but my basic history education went "Britain had an empire, and slaves, and we stopped slavery!". And then it moved on to the industrial revolution. And even when we were taught about slavery, it seemed to downplay the horror of it - didn't learn about the crimes of the East India Company, everything that ever went down in Africa ever, zero about Ireland (like, loving hell, how do you gloss over the importance of Ireland in British history), or Hong Kong.

Like, no wonder bald, puce faced men think Britain was great, and not a loving pestilence on the world that it actually was, when we're (deliberately), not taught adequately about it, unless you actively pursue it at higher education or off your own back.

And of course the people who actually benefited and benefit from that ignorance (i.e the whole current government, and nostalgia-peddlers, like Farage), aren't in a hurry to correct that - much easier to flagshag than address that poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think people conflate the empire and the welfare state they grew up with a lot. If the government did me favours then it must have been good to everyone else, don't say mean things about it.

Whereas when you grow up with the government and society just actively hating you and wanting you dead it's a lot easier to imagine that they wanted that for other people too.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh that's interesting, I had assumed it was people who may not have liked everything about the old USSR but at least liked the absence of hypercapitalist hell.

I mean, there's definitely shades of that as well - the libertarian "shock therapy" of the nineties was horrific for a lot of folks across the Eastern bloc, and that is a significant factor behind the nostalgia (and the social conservatism that assumes direct link between social liberties and said libertarian "shock therapy") too. It's complicated :v:

OwlFancier posted:

I think people conflate the empire and the welfare state they grew up with a lot. If the government did me favours then it must have been good to everyone else, don't say mean things about it.

Pesky Splinter posted:

And of course the people who actually benefited and benefit from that ignorance (i.e the whole current government, and nostalgia-peddlers, like Farage), aren't in a hurry to correct that - much easier to flagshag than address that poo poo.

Imo that's the meat of it - it *feels better* if one thinks of oneself as a descendant of this great big mighty power that was Cool and Good and stopped slavery and helps its subjects (the right sort of subjects, that is). The Farages of this world are banking on people not wanting to consider the "are we the baddies" scenario, or even actively looking for ways to avoid considering it - cause otherwise it feels bad, man

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bullying works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do enjoy that jose lives rent free in his head.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Not going to lie, if the CIA offered to fund me mindlessly browsing Wikipedia and Google maps all day as long as I said Putin was bad over in a while I would take that offer. Sounds like a pretty good life.

State funded poster seems like a good gig.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I do like that Starter and Corbyn before him seem to be intent on trying to recreate the old Tory split on Europe just the other way round in the Labour party. We'll see if there are any legs to it but if the major metropolitan MPs continue being told to shut up about developing closer ties with Europe you're inevitably going to see confrontation there.

Although that said the pro Europe factions seem to be predicated on just it being better for average people and businesses rather than some bizarre ideological shibboleth they are happy to sacrifice people on the altar to. So there's a lot smaller chance they threaten to blow up a future labour government over not signing up to the latest Erasmus programme.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there is some element of actual idealism there too, but it is whether that is the only ideal its supporters have. I don't think labour is particularly strong in the EU brainworms department compared to the lib dems.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Presented without comment

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1363415512584253443?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dead Goon posted:

Didn't Charles say, ages ago, he wasn't going to be King Charles?

It's practically a given that if Charles gets to reign it will be as George VII. Charles has too many bad associations, Philip would go against his father's wishes, and Arthur would be sheer hubris.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

It's practically a given that if Charles gets to reign it will be as George VII. Charles has too many bad associations, Philip would go against his father's wishes, and Arthur would be sheer hubris.

He should go with Louis to honour his beloved, exploded paedo godfather, and explode the heads of many gammons

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

That's not what a box-to-box midfielder does. I mean the clue is in the loving name. How can he be so consistently loving poo poo at this?

(Also gently caress you to whichever poster was trying to explain to me his alleged football credentials were anything other than performative bullshit)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Boden has already reneged on ending deportations, Starmer should have just worked out he barefacedly lie here

Ofc saying anything about being woke would mean possibly alienating some gammons in Scunthorpe which would never do

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1363412677691920394?s=20

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I like that he's now less popular than Matt Hancock and reporters are asking William Hague what advice he'd give Starmer.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's not what a box-to-box midfielder does. I mean the clue is in the loving name. How can he be so consistently loving poo poo at this?

(Also gently caress you to whichever poster was trying to explain to me his alleged football credentials were anything other than performative bullshit)

Why is it so difficult for them to get one person, just one, in his staff to explain a sport to him? Like if he came out during the six nations and said ‘to be honest I don’t really follow a team, but I’m a big fan of Union and has a soft spot for the Tigers, can’t wait to see the England / Wales game’ it’d get literally gently caress all follow up.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought that was a joke someone was making :hotpickle:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

Why is it so difficult for them to get one person, just one, in his staff to explain a sport to him? Like if he came out during the six nations and said ‘to be honest I don’t really follow a team, but I’m a big fan of Union and has a soft spot for the Tigers, can’t wait to see the England / Wales game’ it’d get literally gently caress all follow up.

Honestly if you don't care about sports at all it's difficult to keep that stuff in your head, and even harder to sell it convincingly. Personally, I can remember things about the Irish national football team but almost all other sport is white noise to me

E:https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1363435486434521090?s=19

Hahaha....oh

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 21, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/Geddli_/status/1363076758472392704

I'm enjoying the constant slamming of how poo poo he is.

My favourite so far.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My local Labour party page is just openly rinsing him now

Noone is coming to his defence either, even the people who used to defend him have given up

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly if you don't care about sports at all it's difficult to keep that stuff in your head, and even harder to sell it convincingly. Personally, I can remember things about the Irish national football team but almost all other sport is white noise to me

E:https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1363435486434521090?s=19

Hahaha....oh

I get that at an individual level, but someone on your staff learning two names isn’t beyond the party machinery.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
How do you defend this poo poo?

https://twitter.com/FisherAndrew79/status/1363431274703187968?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if any labour leader could possibly have done more to legitimize corbyn's leadership than this freak getting investigated by the electoral commission for fiddling his campaign funds and completely failing to do even the slightest amount of opposition to anything. Say what you want about corbyn but at least you knew he cared about something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

*liberal brain* well yes Keith is doing no opposing but on the other hand I didn't like Jeremy Corbyn so the optimal amount of opposition must be exactly in the middle of those two

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if any labour leader could possibly have done more to legitimize corbyn's leadership than this freak getting investigated by the electoral commission for fiddling his campaign funds and completely failing to do even the slightest amount of opposition to anything. Say what you want about corbyn but at least you knew he cared about something.

the labour right will simply declare that starmer is too left wing and the only answer is to have tommy robinson as labour leader

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's impressive that there are still quite a lot of people defending him as a sensible adult, the reality distorting brain worms where you can absolutely never, ever back down or admit you might have been wrong about anything always impresses me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All it needs now is for Labour to get loving annihilated in an election and the Corbyn years are going to look like absolute paradise compared to this trainwreck.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Starmerism is funny and I love how open he is about it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the labour right will simply declare that starmer is too left wing and the only answer is to have tommy robinson as labour leader

I can see Rachel Reeves as next leader unfortunately.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All it needs now is for Labour to get loving annihilated in an election and the Corbyn years are going to look like absolute paradise compared to this trainwreck.

i think the knives will truly come out after the council elections, with lots of labour MPs suddenly realising that they are no longer in safe seats

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The defense will be "We are still working to get out of the shadow of the anti-semitism that Jeremy Corbyn mired the party in and these results show that we still have work to do"

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's exacerbated here as education of the British Empire - its policies, its actions, its legacy - is almost entirely glossed over until you reach higher education. More so I'd imagine for my parents and grandparents generation, which almost certainly didn't cover any of it in a negative light.

Obviously it's going to be taught differently for different people, but my basic history education went "Britain had an empire, and slaves, and we stopped slavery!". And then it moved on to the industrial revolution. And even when we were taught about slavery, it seemed to downplay the horror of it - didn't learn about the crimes of the East India Company, everything that ever went down in Africa ever, zero about Ireland (like, loving hell, how do you gloss over the importance of Ireland in British history), or Hong Kong.

Like, no wonder bald, puce faced men think Britain was great, and not a loving pestilence on the world that it actually was, when we're (deliberately), not taught adequately about it, unless you actively pursue it at higher education or off your own back.

An interesting side effect is how this sets up a "great decline" narrative. If we only talk about the noble achievements of our ancestors and ignore their failings, we create figures of mythical greatness alongside which any real human being seems inadequate.
In 500 years people will be complain that the new emperor is a feckless waster. Nothing like Boris I, champion of the olympics, defeater of the rona and father of 1000 sons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The thing is starmer has himself just been implicated in a corruption scandal so if he calls on Hancock to resign it'll get turned back on him

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Were I labour leader I would simply not fiddle my funding :smuggo:

Can't imagine any labour leader in recent history that didnt do that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As if accusations of hypocrisy would ever slow the onrushing bulk of Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'd rather not think about Johnson's rushing bulk.