Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

everyone should be allowed to enjoy things, on television or otherwise, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I can't play FIFA no more cause Barnet are too bad at football to be allowed in anymore

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Never any actually entertaining progs on such as Law n Order, NCIS, CSI, Lewis*, Midsomer Murders, Murder She Wrote, Taggart...

We get it, you're a Lady Of A Certain Age.

Also CSI Lewis should be a new show investigating Victorian nonces.

e: Wait was it Lewis Carrol who was the nonce? I get them confused.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

I can't play FIFA no more cause Barnet are too bad at football to be allowed in anymore

I've been boycotting it since they dropped Motty as commentator.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I've always wondered about this particular critique. Does it extend to all of the CoD games as well?

Also, I don't think I have sat down and watched a TV programme in about a decade now. I'm glad people are having fun with it though.

I haven't the recent CoD games but the modern warfare ones are absolutely the same game, and codblops was very similar too, world at war was the same formula but it had a flamethrower and I guess also set in ww2 pacific but otherwise identical. Only buy it for the simulated warcrimes imo. And if you just want that then I would suggest wolfenstein 2008 instead because you can warcrime nazis and also they have a whole range of warcrime guns for you to use so it's 1. funner and 2. ethical.

That was a lot of the reason I stopped playing them because they were literally just the same game, and it's not like the game was interesting enough to justify it to begin with. I think they mostly get sales from people trying to follow the multiplayer playerbase around.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Carrol was the one who had the page 3 archives.

Lewis was the weirdo christian one who wrote narnia as bible fanfic.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 21, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*fogs daguerreotype plate* "Good lord, it's all of them!"

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Fair enough to not like stuff, and not want it on, but being proud of yourself for hating sport and playing videogames instead is loving peak ukmt, jaesus.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a shared experience of watching something emotionally engaging with others and then perhaps discussing and bonding over it would be anathema to some people.

Videogames are another form of consumption, and if you think I give a poo poo about your Minecraft scale model of the tower of London I don't and no one else does either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a shared experience of watching something emotionally engaging with others and then perhaps discussing and bonding over it would be anathema to some people.

We have an entire forum where people do this about video games, in case you weren't aware.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And one about comic books, and one about comic books but they're Japanese or something.

The entire internet could be judged as a shared bonding experience over things that would be anathema to pre-internet mass-culture society, for better (BLM) and worse (Q) and everything in between.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

OwlFancier posted:

Carrol was the one who had the page 3 archives.

Lewis was the weirdo christian one who wrote narnia as bible fanfic.

CS Lewis also thought that people cared way too much about little boys getting raped in public schools and that nobody would care if it were girls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think people have written papers on the concept of let's play as a form of socialization, "passive multiplayer" it's called, the idea that you play a game and you watch other people play games and you are playing games together but asyncrhonously, but the shared experience of play is still there to a degree, if not even enhanced for people who find synchronous socialization to be exhausting (see also, forums)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd never be friends with anyone who can't get some kind of enjoyment from CSI miami tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
in another 45mins I will tell you whether sport is good or not.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

in another 45mins I will tell you whether sport is good or not.

I can very confidently say sport is cool and good and I would like give VAR a big wet kiss on the bottom.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

don't worry soon Jose will be gone and your woes will be soothed by *reads note* brendan rodgers??

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sport is the reason I spend half my life looking for :filez: BT Sport streams for my fiancée that work with a decade old PS4 browser.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I've a friend who isn't on social media. She said to me "I don't know what people find to do on the internet. I check my email, check my ebay, maybe look at the weather, then I think 'now what?" (No need to tell you she is permanently tuned in to LBC on her tv (the radio bits)).

And as we're on the topic of nonces, she also forced me to go and see Gary Glitter at Brixton Academy twice (in the 'before we knew' days) as punishment for me making her go and see WASP at the Marquee and dragging her off to Donington when Metallica were headline.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Spangly A posted:

I'd never be friends with anyone who can't get some kind of enjoyment from CSI miami tbh

I have only seen one episode, which was about sunglasses man lusting for the death penalty and pretty sidekick posing with a gun. I got the impression CSI Miami was made by fash who were owning the libs, ie probably CSI New York.

I don't think I like any CSI, though; Scandi noir is where it's at.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

We have an entire forum where people do this about video games, in case you weren't aware.

you looked at the sa games forum and decided it was about people bonding over videogames??

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the games forum is about proving you are the apex gamer while sports teams are a tribal activity where you and many other sports fans laugh at other sports teams for being bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oh dear me posted:

What are the CSI's about? From a purely exterior perspective it seems to be "police procedural, but solved via magic"

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Josef bugman posted:

I've always wondered about this particular critique. Does it extend to all of the CoD games as well?

Also, I don't think I have sat down and watched a TV programme in about a decade now. I'm glad people are having fun with it though.
TBH the COD games are, generally, very well produced and acted and normally have a setting and/or story that is different enough from the last one to feel fresh. And they look beautiful if you have the right set up (e.g. PS4 Pro + 65inch 4K TV). There's a reason it's a £multibillion industry.

Fifa I agree has kind of stagnated. There is normally a big overhaul every 10 years or so, so hopefully another one will come soon. The current version is still largely an iteration of Fifa 2009, which was pretty revolutionary and was when Fifa reclaimed being the best football game (which pro evo had dominated for the past few years).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

What are the CSI's about? From a purely exterior perspective it seems to be "police procedural, but solved via magic"
Giving people very unrealistic expectations of forensic abilities.

Much like the Labour leadership ha ha

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you looked at the sa games forum and decided it was about people bonding over videogames??

My fondness for Owl has definitely been increased by knowing he appreciates X games. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I mean it might just be that I have exquisite games taste and all the games I like attract only the finest posters but yeah, basically, games is full of people gushing about the games they like and talking about how they like playing them.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Josef bugman posted:

It's a police procedural with a the main focus being on forensics, but where they do all the forensics in labs where they can't afford proper lighting and using computer techniques pioneered in Bladerunner.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite

Josef bugman posted:

"police procedural, but solved via magic"

That's correct, and the forensic wizards are also gun carrying cops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

My fondness for Owl has definitely been increased by knowing he appreciates X games. :shrug:

The only good capitalism is space capitalism. Because if you do it enough you can create de-facto space command economy.

Alternatively you can end up selling arms to all sides in the endless space war thereby highlighting the inherent immorality of the profit motive.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Posting to confirm that OwlFancier does, indeed, have good taste in games.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Nostalgia chat:

Very good post Ms A.

:hmmyes:

Yes, a good post. One way I've been spending lockdown is watching through about 20 total hours of family camcorder footage that my Mum's just had digitised, most of which is from when me and my sister were in single-digit ages in the late 80s/early 90s, and it's been generating some powerful nostalgia feels for a time that I know was actually much worse than the present in many ways, even if you had my excessively upper-middle-class upbringing and definitely shittier for a lot of other people. Basically it comes down to this:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I also think that there is an element of people being actually very young (or not even born) and being mostly unaware of adult life under these past idylls - managing money, going to work, bringing up kids and so on, so the nostalgia is partly for a time when you didn't have to worry about any of that stuff because someone else was doing all the worrying on your behalf. Also, without the internet, a lot of people were blissfully unaware of things that were going on.

because the camcorder only came out for birthdays, Christmas, school fetes, the arrival of new pets, family holidays and occasional curated slice-of-life stuff like my Dad filming taking us kids for a walk from the house to the village shop and back. They didn't film the bad stuff and they didn't record their worries, setbacks, troubles, fallings-out, disappointments and so on.

In the Before Times I actually detoured through the village I grew up in on the way to see my Mum and subjected my gf to a whole lot of :corsair: about how much it had changed for the worse with new housing developments, 'too many cars' parked on the street and the new extension they've put on the school. It's CHANGE.

In lockdown I've also been spending more time than normal (healthy) on my city's online image archive. One of the few outstanding public-spirited things Peterborough has ever done is that there is a huge freely-accessible site of images from the council and the Peterborough Telegraph, bolstered by some acquired private collections and now open to public submissions. It's essentially a complete pictorial record of the city in the 20th century. And, godammit, I scroll through it and find myself getting nostalgic for a city I've only lived in since 2012 and a time period that was decades before I was born and, again, I know was actually pretty poo poo.

I think it's important to pin down what's attractive about these glimpes into the past. Often it's because the images were taken in the 70s and 80s when Peterborough was having the modern equivalent of £billions chucked into it as it was rebuilt as a New Town, so everything is modern, new, clean and well-maintained. It's the neatly-trimmed, flowerbed-strewn and litter-free roads - because people were paid to cut the grass, tend the flowers and pick up litter. It's the city centre with a diverse mix of independent shops, cafes, pubs restaurants and service businesses because they hadn't been driven out by excessive rents, stupid rates levels and giant tax-dodging chain stores. It's the photo of the Baker Perkins Works Football Club lifting the trophy after their win against the New England Shunter's Sports Society because it reflects a time when there were lots secure, well-paid productive semi-skilled job in the city and people actually had the time and means to have some sort of community social life. It's the families queuing up to hire a pedalo or a rowing boat on the River Nene on a hot summer's day because that wharf has since been demolished and replaced by luxury apartments which block public access to that side of the river from the city centre. It's the trams and the National Bus Company-liveried buses because it's a reminder that we used to have an excellent mass transit system in the city, and one that wasn't run by a private corporation with lovely labour practices.

And so on. If you just get swept up in the aesthetic of those sun-tinted Kodachromes of pristine newly-laid concrete streets with flower beds, pictures of the new City Hospital where the staff outnumber the waiting patients in A&E or a family moving into their new council house in South Bretton in 1976 then that's the route to the right-wing sort of nostalgia which leads to fascism, which is all about the aesthetic.

That's what my mother-in-law (30+ years Peterborough resident) is sliding towards. She's convinced that the city is a worse place to live in than it was in the 80s and 90s (plausible, but certainly debatable) and that its decline was caused solely by the arrival of Eastern European people. That's it as far as she's concerned - those two factors are solely and directly linked because she remembers the first Polish people moving into her street in 2006 and everything's got worse since then. The fact that this was just before the Great Recession and then a decade of austerity where the social and economic fabric of the city has (like so many other places) gradually been strip-mined away and that if Peterborough had as much money thrown at it from central government as it did in the days of the Peterborough Development Corporation and had the same surplus of capacity in its infrastructure and services things would be much better just don't register. She - like virtually every other Peterborian over the age of 50 - blames the decline of the city centre solely on the new pedestrianised Cathedral Square they put in in 2011, replacing the original 1970s one and knocking down the horrendously ugly Corn Exchange building which looked like a 65-foot tall Dualit toaster rendered in concrete. Any and all business problems in the city centre are because of this, nothing to do with any broader-scale issues that might have gone on in the country or the world since 2011. As far as she's concerned, get rid of the foreigners and put Cathedral Square back to how it was and everything will be peachy. The aesthetic comes first.

Jose posted:

What kind of people are they using for these focus groups lol

Conservatives. Partly because they're the only people with the time and arrogance to be on political focus groups, but also because Starmer's entire ploy seems to be "we need people who voted Conservative to vote for us, so we'll ask them what they want" rather than either trying to convince people who voted Conservative to change their mind to a different set of policies (unlikely, I'll grant) or to try and get onboard the 60% of the country who didn't vote Conservative...or even the third of the electorate which didn't vote at all.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't the recent CoD games but the modern warfare ones are absolutely the same game, and codblops was very similar too, world at war was the same formula but it had a flamethrower and I guess also set in ww2 pacific but otherwise identical. Only buy it for the simulated warcrimes imo. And if you just want that then I would suggest wolfenstein 2008 instead because you can warcrime nazis and also they have a whole range of warcrime guns for you to use so it's 1. funner and 2. ethical.

That was a lot of the reason I stopped playing them because they were literally just the same game, and it's not like the game was interesting enough to justify it to begin with. I think they mostly get sales from people trying to follow the multiplayer playerbase around.
I feel like its a bit different for an online shooter as even between COD games the weapon selection/balance and map selection changes whereas Sport games focus on maintaining the player roster to be as real to life as possible. Imagine if the next fifa game had a bunch if exciting new pitches and shoe types!!! Like both are lovely corporate Enterprises but its a tad disingenuous to compare a sequel with entirely differeng content to a yearly roster update even if the core gameplay isn't drastically altered.

Personally I grew out of COD because as time went on it became just how fundamentaly unbalanced the game is. The game's progression system and killstreak rewards benefit those with more time played in a game already very reliant in player knowledge/experience and are often completely at odds with any game mode that isn't free for all.

Basically if you do well at all the game showers you with advantages like revealing enemy positions, airstrikes or just a pack of instakill dogs that'll roam the map and rack up your kill count for you. Not to mention the 'nuke' killstreak which just declares you the winner after killing everyone on both teams. It doesn't matter if you were playing a gamemode where you were supposed to be diffusing a bomb or capturing something, just turn the game off because some fucker camped out 25 kills in one life (most of which came from killstreak rewards).

One time they added a balancing feature that gave players who've died a bunch in a row a little temporary perk to get them back into the game, they didn't put it in the next game because the community decided it wasn't fair on the people doing well that they might have to face a player with extra armour or grenade while they're busy spawncamping the poo poo out of the enemy team.

I forgot my point but gently caress COD in general.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Oh dear me posted:

Is Wallander Scandi Noir? It passed me by originally so I've caught up on it since Christmas and been enjoying it. It's a very different experience to Mallorca Files or Shakespeare and Hathaway.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

CSI Miami is ridiculous murders (e.g. man obliterated by railgun) set in an alternate universe where David Caruso is inexplicably the coolest man in the world. Literally everything revolves like clockwork around providing him an opportunity to make an absurd quip or walk away from an explosion in slow motion, punctuated by him donning or doffing his sunglasses for no particular reason. An ordinary conversation with forensics about the nature of a bullet wound will be abruptly terminated when he slings out a quip and immediately exits the room. Everyone around him is fine with this and never brings it up with him or anyone else. It's like a modern Steven Seagal movie where the hero just raises his fists and the bad guys run into them at full force before somersaulting themselves out of windows.

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 21, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't watch football either but it isn't the only sport. All the good sports take place on either snow or ice*, unfortunately the climate of the UK means it's a bit tough for most people to participate in those and so they aren't popular enough to merit mainstream TV broadcast outside of the Winter Olympics.

*rock climbing is an exception but competition climbing is tedious, and the top level of the outdoor sport generally involves some wiry guy spending months at a remote crag falling repeatedly while trying to find the precise foot position on a 2mm protrusion that will give him the leverage to make another tiny bit of progress. That can make for some good films, but it isn't very exciting to watch live.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

I feel like its a bit different for an online shooter as even between COD games the weapon selection/balance and map selection changes whereas Sport games focus on maintaining the player roster to be as real to life as possible. Imagine if the next fifa game had a bunch if exciting new pitches and shoe types!!! Like both are lovely corporate Enterprises but its a tad disingenuous to compare a sequel with entirely differeng content to a yearly roster update even if the core gameplay isn't drastically altered.

That could be accomodated for by charging far less for the token yearly update.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Basically though I don't like the format. Like, the entire format of "you watch a thing happen at you" so that means no TV, movies, theater, music shows, anything like that.

No fiction books either?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Embrace the highest for of culture: play Counter-Strike for 20 years and become steadily less able to compete against the never ending stream of obnoxious teenagers imo

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Personally I grew out of COD because as time went on it became just how fundamentaly unbalanced the game is. The game's progression system and killstreak rewards benefit those with more time played in a game already very reliant in player knowledge/experience and are often completely at odds with any game mode that isn't free for all.

Basically if you do well at all the game showers you with advantages like revealing enemy positions, airstrikes or just a pack of instakill dogs that'll roam the map and rack up your kill count for you. Not to mention the 'nuke' killstreak which just declares you the winner after killing everyone on both teams. It doesn't matter if you were playing a gamemode where you were supposed to be diffusing a bomb or capturing something, just turn the game off because some fucker camped out 25 kills in one life (most of which came from killstreak rewards).

One time they added a balancing feature that gave players who've died a bunch in a row a little temporary perk to get them back into the game, they didn't put it in the next game because the community decided it wasn't fair on the people doing well that they might have to face a player with extra armour or grenade while they're busy spawncamping the poo poo out of the enemy team.

I forgot my point but gently caress COD in general.
Yeah, I used to be really into the first MW in 2008 or whenever it was. Gameplay was great, killstreak rewards were great but not so unbalanced they flipped the game (I think it was UAV, airstrike, attack heli and nothing else). Progression and ranking meant you had access to better guns/peripheries but again not game changing and none of these amazing perks you get now. And you could usually pick up a new gun off someone dead quite quickly anyway. But when I tried that latest MW online (loved the single player) it just felt like complete and utter chaos and I was way out of my depth and unbalanced compared to those that had played it a while and so had the various perks and stuff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

No fiction books either?

TBF I think this is a problem I have sometimes. I end up thinking silly things like "why not use violence in this instance" when it's a story being told to you, you are supposed to analyse the themes it is trying to put forward, not look for plot holes.

Though I also often feel the same way towards actual history so there is that :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Is Wallander Scandi Noir?

I think the Swedish version officially counts, but it's more episodic and (I think) less gripping than The killing and The bridge, which are the classics. I wouldn't count the English version, but it's not bad either.