Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the misteraddon kit for sure comes with a power supply, I thought you sourced yours from somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah I got it from Terasic. Should come with everything. Misteraddons doesn't have any available currently

So, in summary:
DE10 kit and blisster board coming separately

from misteraddons:
analog (standard) IO board
dc cable splitter
ram expansion
vga to component cable

I sure hope I didn't gently caress anything up too badly :) If not, I'm certain I'll get another chance when it comes time to put everything together.

Thanks for your input, all.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 20, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
sd card

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also yeah make sure you're good on the stuff on the periphery that you probably have lying around but also could be easy to forget about. An actual decently sized SD card, a USB Keyboard, either a wifi dongle or a workable ethernet solution, etc. It doesn't sound like you are going to be touching HDMI and Bluetooth anytime soon but they might be useful for testing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can confirm this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PB1X4CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works out of the box. All I had to do was go to the wifi tab in scripts and enter my password.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm lazy so I just update mine by taking out the SD card every month or so and moving files over on my PC. I really should set up some custom update download scripts. The only thing holding me back is a vague fear of overly aggressive scripts ignoring/redoing my folder setup.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't forget people that you can access the MiSTer via FTP or a mapped network drive if you just want to move small stuff around or edit .ini files.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are any big advances expected for these things in the next year or 2? I really want one and plan to replace my Wii U with my one eventually as my dedicated homebrew console.

How’s the interface on these things work? Do you need a keyboard to mess with the UI or can you do everything from a controller?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 20, 2021

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s the interface on these things work? Do you need a keyboard to mess with the UI or can you do everything from a controller?

I think the only thing I've used the keyboard for (besides retro computer cores) was putting in my WiFi password. And even that can be done other ways.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm lazy so I just update mine by taking out the SD card every month or so and moving files over on my PC. I really should set up some custom update download scripts. The only thing holding me back is a vague fear of overly aggressive scripts ignoring/redoing my folder setup.

I tried using update all on my PC so I can hide behind a vpn but it kept coming back with error messages half way through :/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhqft0v8M9A

Atari Lynx core is being worked on!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
hell yeah

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bit of an edge case and more of a curiosity than something that actually matters, but for Super NES how does the MiSTer handle Pilotwings as far as DSP1 compatibility is concerned?

Nintendo overlooked something with Pilotwings reprints, where they reissued it with a revised DSP1 chip (the DSP1B) that fixed some bugs in the original chip, but this actually has a slight impact on the physics of the game, to the point where one of the demos that plays when you don't press any buttons at the title screen (the plane one) crashes, both in the sense of crashing the plane and crashing the game because the demo environment isn't programmed to handle failure. With BSNES (and probably other emulators) you can force it to use the older chip variant by adding the chip firmware to the end of the ROM (making it a 520 kilobyte ROM instead of a 512 kilobyte ROM), and I'm a little curious if the Mister works similarly.

More on this here:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1126996260026605568?s=20

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MiSTer supports both but I gotta be honest I've got no clue how to force one over the other.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

MiSTer supports both but I gotta be honest I've got no clue how to force one over the other.

It's a bit of a mess. There's one game (Ballz 3D) that apparently requires the 1b, otherwise I don't think it makes a difference which revision of the DSP1 is used other than for that one Pilotwings demo.

I'm assuming the MiSTer would support a ROM that has a specific chip firmware added to it like I mentioned in my earlier post to force one or the other.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ballz works and Pilotwings doesn't crash, so there's something going on.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

Ballz works and Pilotwings doesn't crash, so there's something going on.

Wouldn't surprise me if the core did an explicit check where it goes "if Pilotwings then load DSP1 version". Like how Windows has legacy code that explicitly handles the system RAM a certain way for the original version of SimCity.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wow, look at them new integer scaling modes for the GB cores

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And double wow, Saturn progress!

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1363880878263443457

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you run Super Game Boy supported games with their palettes and borders?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep.

You can also just have the palette by itself of course.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

This might be a dumb question: How do those integer scaling modes differ from running a core with the internal filter and vscale_mode=1 enabled?

I don't doubt they're better, and the wiki suggests using custom filters, but as a layperson it seems odd.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So what's the all-in on a MiSTer setup?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This might be a dumb question: How do those integer scaling modes differ from running a core with the internal filter and vscale_mode=1 enabled?

I don't doubt they're better, and the wiki suggests using custom filters, but as a layperson it seems odd.
Unless I'm misreading that post it is just vscale_mode=1 with internal filters, just using specific internal filters outside of the top level "recommended" ones to achieve a certain look on their 1440x1152 output. I personally think it looks too harsh on my TV and still prefer the standard "LCD Monochrome (Gameboy)".

Some Goon posted:

So what's the all-in on a MiSTer setup?
DE10 - ~$160
RAM - $60
USB Hub or Blister - ~$50 or ~$85 (which can be eschewed in the short term for a super cheap $5 USB dongle hub if you want to keep it low while you play with the setup)
128 GB or whatever preferred size of SD Card - ~$25
IO Board - $50 (pretty overkill but I don't see the fan-only mount on misteraddons anymore so it's starting to feel like it's just expected that people will get the IO Board now)

It's not in stock now but misteraddons has a case-less pre-built with most (no SD card) of the above for around $335.

This is ignoring all of the stuff around the edges like controllers, wifi/bluetooth dongles, cables, keyboards, casing, etc.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 23, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Unless I'm misreading that post it is just vscale_mode=1 with internal filters, just using specific internal filters outside of the top level "recommended" ones to achieve a certain look on their 1440x1152 output. I personally think it looks too harsh on my TV and still prefer the standard "LCD Monochrome (Gameboy)".
DE10 - ~$160
RAM - $60
USB Hub or Blister - ~$50 or ~$85 (which can be eschewed in the short term for a super cheap $5 USB dongle hub if you want to keep it low while you play with the setup)
128 GB or whatever preferred size of SD Card - ~$25
IO Board - $50 (pretty overkill but I don't see the fan-only mount on misteraddons anymore so it's starting to feel like it's just expected that people will get the IO Board now)

It's not in stock now but misteraddons has a case-less pre-built with all of the above for around $335.

This is ignoring all of the stuff around the edges like controllers, wifi/bluetooth dongles, cables, keyboards, casing, etc.

I've seen some people using the Artix A7 over the DE10 - any particular reason why?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Dammit. I ordered an Extron DB15 to BNC breakout on ebay and I accidentally got the wrong cable.
I was going off some reddit post and I just saw Extron and ordered one without thinking.
The BNC heads are female which I realized instantly after trying to smooth one into my pvm.
Time to order some male to male connectors I guess and keep waiting.
edit:
It was this that I ordered (although a shorter one).
This will still work if I get some M-M couplers on the ends right? It's not like, one way or something? The DB15 end for the MiSTer is male.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 23, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gay Retard posted:

I've seen some people using the Artix A7 over the DE10 - any particular reason why?
No clue, first I've heard of such an idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gay Retard posted:

Got a link? I'm curious what you ran across.

There are definitely ports of MiSTer cores to a bunch of other FPGAs (and many of them are in fact ports of cores initially developed for other FPGAs) but there are no organized efforts to move the project to any other hardware for now or the forseeable future. The bang for the buck and accessibility of the DE10-Nano is just absurd thanks to how subsidized it is and the official Amazon availability.

I'm guessing you either mean the Artix-7 FPGA or the Arty A7 dev board for that FPGA line, but nothing in that line could even potentially support MiSTer because it lacks an ARM core. MiSTer uses both the FPGA and the dual-core ARM of the Cyclone to do its thing, so from a Xilinx point of view you'd be looking at something with a Zynq like a ZedBoard that's in an entirely different price bracket from the DE10-Nano.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Dammit. I ordered an Extron DB15 to BNC breakout on ebay and I accidentally got the wrong cable.
I was going off some reddit post and I just saw Extron and ordered one without thinking.
The BNC heads are female which I realized instantly after trying to smooth one into my pvm.
Time to order some male to male connectors I guess and keep waiting.
edit:
It was this that I ordered (although a shorter one).
This will still work if I get some M-M couplers on the ends right? It's not like, one way or something? The DB15 end for the MiSTer is male.

Couplers should work fine, yeah. Coax cable is all just metal-to-metal, so no directionality.

I just found this thread, and can I say, it's a bit funny to me that there's actually a market for Sony PVM monitors now, a few years after one of the theaters I worked at basically gave away all their monitors with only RGBHV input to whoever would take them, because there was no demand for them. Silly me for not forseeing they might actually be of interest to the retro gaming market at some point.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Eh screw it, I've been looking at this long enough. Digikey has the DE10-nano in stock, and I've sent an email to legacypixels.com for RAM, a heatsink, and a USB hub to keep it tidy. The owner suggested using a cheap power strip with a switch instead of an inline power adapter switch and I should have one of those around here.

Let's have some fun.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

It's awesome to see more people getting into this. Be sure to pop in here when you set everything up, everyone's super helpful and it's fun to see first impressions.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Silly Burrito posted:

Eh screw it, I've been looking at this long enough.
Let's have some fun.
Welcome, friend. You're gonna love it; I've only dabbled with some computer cores, haven't touched the consoles or arcade and am having a blast. For me it's like having a little 486 DOS PC in the palm of your hand

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

an actual frog posted:

Welcome, friend. You're gonna love it; I've only dabbled with some computer cores, haven't touched the consoles or arcade and am having a blast. For me it's like having a little 486 DOS PC in the palm of your hand

I just think it's funny. I already have a Pi 4, the mini NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1 for retro gaming but this little setup is just intriguing for what it can do. What the hell, you only live once. Play old games. :)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

MockingQuantum posted:

Couplers should work fine, yeah. Coax cable is all just metal-to-metal, so no directionality.

I just found this thread, and can I say, it's a bit funny to me that there's actually a market for Sony PVM monitors now, a few years after one of the theaters I worked at basically gave away all their monitors with only RGBHV input to whoever would take them, because there was no demand for them. Silly me for not forseeing they might actually be of interest to the retro gaming market at some point.

Ordered some generic couplers fr Amazon, here's hoping it works.
I'm still waiting on a cheap DAC and wifi dongle from Ali so no PVM play for me just yet.

And yeah my dad worked as an editor for most of his career until his company went under during the recession. They were selling off their PVM L5s for pennies on the dollar back around 2009-2010. We really wish we had hung into some.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I got my Mister setup a couple weeks ago, and I'm shocked at two things:

1: How much better/snappier input feels. I knew emulation had some inherent lag, and I spent a ton of time/effort building emu boxes to work around it. But Mister immediately felt "right". Could just be my imagination but :drat:
2: How good the built in scaling is. Full screen non-integer + 25% CRT + Interpolation sharp looks great to me and super simple to setup. After the years of dicking with Retroarch shaders it's a breath of fresh air.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
For those who use it on HDMI and a modern display, does input still feel quicker/less latency or is that mainly a CRT benefit?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

For those who use it on HDMI and a modern display, does input still feel quicker/less latency or is that mainly a CRT benefit?

It's still strong in those scenarios. Obviously the tv and controller will still be factors, but that's true of any HDMI setup.

I've played a bunch of GBA Rhythm Heaven over HDMI with no issue. I don't even think about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can also set it to use the native pixel clock of each core (vsync_adjust=2 in the .ini file) which might cause issues on TVs but is obviously worth trying. Even if there are issues, you can set up .ini files to use specific options on specific cores if it works on some but not others, or do something like switch the .ini files on the fly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Silly Burrito posted:

I don’t have a mister yet but I briefly played Mega Man on an analogue on a modern display (with 13ms of input lag) and I immediately noticed the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some LCDs in certain modes play extremely nicely with the MiSTer though obviously I wouldn't expect your usual HDTVs to get this close:

https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/1274195030920445952