Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Beachcomber posted:

I've always wanted to eat in an automat.

Come to Amsterdam! Well, probably not right now... but in a couple years. And keep in mind the Dutch automats tend to be filled with greasy fast food snacks instead of pies and sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I am the Milkman my milk is delicious

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Beachcomber posted:

I've always wanted to eat in an automat.

Is that one in the centre holding a pistol? Is it trying to rob that dude?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gromit posted:

Is that one in the centre holding a pistol? Is it trying to rob that dude?

You never heard of an automatic weapon?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
That picture is actually from an Avtomat. Easy mistake to make.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Joey Freshwater posted:

This might be a joke but milk delivery was definitely a thing. I can remember my grandparents having it be delivered when I was little.

He was there to bang your grandma sorry.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hey, don't be like that.

He could have been there to bang his grandfather.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wish the milkman would deliver my milk
in the morning
I wish the milkman would deliver my milk
when I'm yawning

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Hey, don't be like that.

He could have been there to bang his grandfather.

Why not both?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

When you see milkmen in old movies or tv shows that was just the writers way of getting jokes about wife-swapping past the censors.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In TV shows/movies, people seem to answer their doors awfully quick. Like basically as soon as the knocks are done, the door is opening. Does everyone just stand there waiting for guests?

I guess that's why they always bust down the door within half a second of yelling "police, open up" - they're used to ultra fast door opening, so if you take a normal amount of time you must be up to no good and need to be stopped.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I watched "I care a lot" and it has the absolute worst protagonists. Like it made you root for Peter Dinklage thinking it was going to be like 'Taken' with him getting his own mom back. But instead you get a Mission Impossible turnaround on him in the last twenty minutes of the film.

Great cast but urghhh the protagonists felt insufferable. It would have been one thing if the seniors they were exploiting were terrible boomers in their own right, but that's never even explored. They just rob them blind one after another.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just watched Judas and the Black Messiah, which was fantastic. My only gripe was that Martin sheen looked awful as J Edgar Hoover. It looked like Martin sheen with some silly putty on his nose.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My favorite one in this pretty dumb genre was the one where the guy buys some ancient cursed box and puts it in the room. I think that was the 2017 one.

I watch this, and it's by far the worst of the three. I quite like the gimmick of everyone being trapped in the room with a demon dude getting closer and closer, but it's so incompetently made.

There's no engagement with the actual puzzles. The Deborah Ann Woll one has some pretty lightweight riddles and clues for characters to bicker over, but there's actual drama and tension, and stuff for the characters to talk about. This one has long stretches of characters just shouting "what could it mean?!? we have to look carefully!! see what you can find!!" and its just loving white noise. And the actual puzzles are so obvious that even though we the audience only see em out the corner of our eyes we can easily solve them about 20 minutes before the cast (oh there's some raised symbols on a painting? and a load of symbols on a bit of paper you found? its a combination lock, this should only take you about 5 seconds)

But the worst bit is how it keeps cutting outside to the manager of the room stressing about his financial situation and impending divorce and how the cameras has gone out so maaaaybe he's legally liable if anything bad happens. It just saps all the stress from a film about people being locked in a room if we can see a guy debating whether to let them out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

In TV shows/movies, people seem to answer their doors awfully quick. Like basically as soon as the knocks are done, the door is opening. Does everyone just stand there waiting for guests?

I guess that's why they always bust down the door within half a second of yelling "police, open up" - they're used to ultra fast door opening, so if you take a normal amount of time you must be up to no good and need to be stopped.

Frasier I think averts this a lot, the farce structure helps. It's probably more an editing thing, they're not going to spend more time waiting around than necessary unless they want to pad for time. (and most TV shows have plenty of ways of doing that. Your average soap opera episode apparently has more padding than DBZ)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Frasier had the magic kitchen where, despite it being open on two sides, nobody could ever hear what was going on in there and vice versa.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I watch this, and it's by far the worst of the three. I quite like the gimmick of everyone being trapped in the room with a demon dude getting closer and closer, but it's so incompetently made.

There's no engagement with the actual puzzles. The Deborah Ann Woll one has some pretty lightweight riddles and clues for characters to bicker over, but there's actual drama and tension, and stuff for the characters to talk about. This one has long stretches of characters just shouting "what could it mean?!? we have to look carefully!! see what you can find!!" and its just loving white noise. And the actual puzzles are so obvious that even though we the audience only see em out the corner of our eyes we can easily solve them about 20 minutes before the cast (oh there's some raised symbols on a painting? and a load of symbols on a bit of paper you found? its a combination lock, this should only take you about 5 seconds)

But the worst bit is how it keeps cutting outside to the manager of the room stressing about his financial situation and impending divorce and how the cameras has gone out so maaaaybe he's legally liable if anything bad happens. It just saps all the stress from a film about people being locked in a room if we can see a guy debating whether to let them out.

Even Devil, which sucked mighty balls, had the people trying to rescue the people trapped in the elevator. No real hemming and hawing about "oh dear oh no". I can see where that would kill the page if the movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like a good sprinkling of incompetence in my movies.

You're probably right though. I just remember enjoying it more than the others.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
i know there are good storytelling and time-saving reasons we don't see things like people properly saying goodbye on the phone, or people paying taxicabs, or whatever. But for some reason it's starting annoying me that nobody on TV or in movies ever has to pee right when they wake up. Surely it's the first thing almost everyone does in real life. And it's not even that I want to see it. It just annoys me that I don't. I don't know what I want.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HopperUK posted:

i know there are good storytelling and time-saving reasons we don't see things like people properly saying goodbye on the phone, or people paying taxicabs, or whatever. But for some reason it's starting annoying me that nobody on TV or in movies ever has to pee right when they wake up. Surely it's the first thing almost everyone does in real life. And it's not even that I want to see it. It just annoys me that I don't. I don't know what I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgFDo6G-EO8

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HopperUK posted:

:pisstape:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

HopperUK posted:

IIRC, they use that as part of a morning wood joke a few times in The 40-Year Old Virgin too.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Reminds me of a teaser Fox did for 24 back in the day with characters from Family Guy:

Peter: I don’t get this 24 show....when does he go to the bathroom?
Brian: Do...do you really want to see him go to the bathroom?
Peter: ............................................................................yes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I forgot about this! I feel better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

Futurama had a joke about that where the regular cryogenics facility staff would try to tell people about the future, but when Fry worked there he knew exactly what they wanted to hear about- “Bathroom’s that way!”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I am really getting tired of diabetic-child-as-plot-point.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Same, but with autistic kid actually has a super power.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Same, but with autistic kid actually has a super power.

Alphas got it to work but that was more “autistic kid who also coincidentally has a super power” than “autism gave him superpowers”

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Alphas got it to work but that was more “autistic kid who also coincidentally has a super power” than “autism gave him superpowers”

Also had the best line from any of the characters on that show. "I don't like horses, they look confused."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Such a bummer that show got cancelled. It was really good and I liked the way that the superpowers all had downsides that made sense instead of just being some arbitrary superhero weakness.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Phanatic posted:

I am really getting tired of diabetic-child-as-plot-point.

I'm diabetic you bitch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The only diabetic kid plot I can remember is Panic Room, which I actually liked because if it weren't for that I would have been annoyed and coming here to post "why didn't they just stay in the panic room the whole time".

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The only diabetic kid plot I can remember is Panic Room, which I actually liked because if it weren't for that I would have been annoyed and coming here to post "why didn't they just stay in the panic room the whole time".

Now I'm trying to remember if I've seen any movie that has an adult as a diabetic being a plot point.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Con-Air comes to mind.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ah yeah. It's been forever since I saw it so :tipshat:.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Now I'm trying to remember if I've seen any movie that has an adult as a diabetic being a plot point.

Not a movie, but Scrubs has Turk's diabetes be an ongoing thing later on iirc.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Memento, albeit only in flashbacks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The absolute classic Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Metalocalypse :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen