Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

No fiction books either?

No not for a long time, slowly chipping my way through the silmarilion but I haven't really read for pleasure in a decade. Though I do still think I would rather read than do any of the other things if forced to make the choice.

Broadly I just don't enjoy things in which I am simply an observer, I would rather be doing something. So I can listen to things while I do other things, but I have to be doing something with my brain, i have to be an active participant in the process at some point.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m no fan of COD and haven’t played one in years, but comparing it to FIFA is pretty silly. Every year you get a brand new full campaign, with a whole contained story and levels, as well as a multiplayer mode with a new selection of maps and new game mechanics, and now the Zombies mode with a whole new map as well. BLOPS 4 didn’t have a campaign but they were very clear about that months in advance.

Meanwhile, every year FIFA is just a roster update they could have done as a patch over the internet combined with some minor tweaks, though to be fair they have done that story mode a few times recently.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
My issue with a lot of media, fiction movies games whatever is that it's way too straight, whereas I can play a ttRPG and know it's going to have at least one extremely gay character

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The problem with watching team sports is people get so absurdly into "their" team in place of having a personality. FP goes into total lockdown some match days (I guess Spurs matches), mounted police everywhere, aggro gammony fuckheads drunkenly screaming all over the place.

I enjoy watching endurance sports quite a bit. Cross country skiing (or biathlon as well) is awesome, the competitors are absolutely at their limits and there's lots of opportunity for people to overtake or get knackered and drop back. Cycling can be good as well but more of a background watch seeing as the races go on for weeks.

e: I made pizza.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know why anyone bothered making another shooter after TF2. I was absolutely killer as Pyro, which has the advantage of being one of those roles that everyone insists is an unskilled newbie role because they don't know how to counter having their rockets shoved back in their face, so they get really mad when you get a decent kill streak.

Re: nostalgia, I went and revisited the places I used to live in Street View VR (the absolute pro way to street view things), and my childhood road hasn't been updated since my parents moved out 13 years ago - it literally has the For Sale sign in the garden and the same cars on the driveway; the plates are blurred, but it's the exact same photos from when the Google car first went by all those years ago.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

knox_harrington posted:

e: I made pizza.

It's like :pwn: but a pizza

(it looks delicious)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't know why anyone bothered making another shooter after TF2. I was absolutely killer as Pyro, which has the advantage of being one of those roles that everyone insists is an unskilled newbie role because they don't know how to counter having their rockets shoved back in their face, so they get really mad when you get a decent kill streak.

Re: nostalgia, I went and revisited the places I used to live in Street View VR (the absolute pro way to street view things), and my childhood road hasn't been updated since my parents moved out 13 years ago - it literally has the For Sale sign in the garden and the same cars on the driveway; the plates are blurred, but it's the exact same photos from when the Google car first went by all those years ago.

Doom 2016 came out after TF2. You've played that, right?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

What kind of people are they using for these focus groups lol

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oh dear me posted:

I have only seen one episode, which was about sunglasses man lusting for the death penalty and pretty sidekick posing with a gun. I got the impression CSI Miami was made by fash who were owning the libs, ie probably CSI New York.

I don't think I like any CSI, though; Scandi noir is where it's at.

at one point sunglasses man chases a legally innocent person to brazil and loving murders him in front of the Cristo Redentor while making quips, then he makes another quip and does something with his sunglasses and briefly wonders whether it was aight for crime lab employees to indiscriminately murder people abroad, before being reassured that it'll be fine and nobody will ever again mention that he just murdered someone in broad daylight. fade out, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's got an incredible starship troopers energy about it. Scandi noir was good though, I remember when one of the bbc channels got permanently taken off the air for daring to have decent programming in foreign languages instead of more family guy reruns. Lots of scandi people in jumpers solving complex murders, and occasionally communist politicians doing Italian Poiroit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think you could argue that COD's annual releases are different at least in that they add new maps, perks, guns, abilities etc as well as the main campaign. For all you can fault them for being basically the same game, they're not actually the same.

The Madden / FIFA / WWE games though are the exact same game, just with an updated roster and maybe a few mechanic tweaks.

The WWE games are an interesting example because (at least while THQ were in charge) for a while they were following the Star Trek rule in that every other one was the good one. They'd update them every year with the new roster, but every other one they'd update the engine a bit and change how the grappling mechanics and the create-a-wrestler mode worked.

Every year they updated it was the year it was bad. Nothing worked properly, everyone complained online, and the devs would take that feedback and change it for the next year. Then it would be good. Then they'd change everything again, everyone would hate it, and they'd fix it.

I hear 2K19 was the last playable one, because they sold the rights to a new company who absolutely hosed it. Coincidentally 2k19 remains full price on the PS Store and 2k20 is consistently in the £15 sale because it has a horrible reputation.

I just want another one like WWE All Stars where it's a best-of roster rather than having to try and keep up with all these new mooks I don't care about just so I can get my wrassle on.

There would probably be a huge market for a competently produced footmans game that promised a roster update DLC every year after transfer season, and an engine update every 5 years. They wouldn't make as much money as EA are, but considering how nakedly evil EA have to be to amass their dragon hoard, that's probably a good thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

From what I've picked up from friends who play FIFA, it's essentially just a constant treadmill of FOMO by now. "You have to play because what if we add something good out of the blue".

I just like playing CoD because it's shockingly not hugely inundated with microtransactions, and isn't a game I need to dedicate entire days of wiki-diving to get decent at. See man, shoot man, win.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 21, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I loved playing Medic. A good pyro was my favourite - I would pocket anyone half-decent with glee. An ubercharged pyro is a thing of glory. No class-based team shooter has managed to replicate that fun for me. I don't want gimmicky healers or weird abilities, I want to be able to point gun at friend, shoot HP at them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I have to admit "turn Isle of Man into a subterranean roundabout" is ballsy stuff even for our hypernormalised age.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1363447724285263874?s=19

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rumda posted:

My issue with a lot of media, fiction movies games whatever is that it's way too straight, whereas I can play a ttRPG and know it's going to have at least one extremely gay character

Have you considered goon-novel Baru Cormorant which is extremely gay, extremely horny, and extremely depressing?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have to admit "turn Isle of Man into a subterranean roundabout" is ballsy stuff even for our hypernormalised age.

What would the point of this even be? It wouldn't change the customs regulations which have caused the drop in trade.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The solution to beaufort's dyke being "go around it" is pretty great though.

Somebody absolutely bought johnson a copy of cities skylines and he is now using it to inform public policy.

Next step is turning the vale of york into a gigantic poo poo lagoon to run a hydroeffluent dam. When it fails to produce enough power he launches the "poo poo for britain" campaign urging people to use the bathroom more often.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 21, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
CoD single player gameplay reminds me of the way a friend described Halo 4- "press X to jizz on Cortana's tits".
There are days when you want to spend an afternoon murderising your way through swathes of identical enemies, sure, but it gets a bit tedious.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the games forum is about proving you are the apex gamer while sports teams are a tribal activity where you and many other sports fans laugh at other sports teams for being bad.

Or in the case of Detroit Lions fans, laugh at how bad your own sports team is.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Doom 2016 came out after TF2. You've played that, right?

I have, it was good! But lord, there was no feeling on earth like playing TF2 between 2007 and 2012. The community was just firing on all cylinders in those days.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

What would the point of this even be? It wouldn't change the customs regulations which have caused the drop in trade.

The point is to allow Boris to continue to associate himself with heroic ideas. The more unachievable the better, because there's then never any chance of him being associated with a real life project that might fail.

Stranraer is the terminus of the shortest ferry crossing point to Ireland, not an advantageous location for a tunnel portal.
Going through the same locations because that's the route a different mode of transport uses is like insisting all Heathrow passengers to Amsterdam have to check in at Newcastle.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm sure the fabulous dual lane roads of rural Ards will be able to easily manage the influx of travelers to Portavogie.

Maybe they'll splash out and add two extra lanes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've assembled a top focus group of ordinary people from around the country representative of a wide range of views.

HopperUK posted:

I want to be able to point gun at friend

Failed Imagineer posted:

I do enjoy his megaengineering projects, it's just the rest of him. He should have become an engineer instead, where the rest of his bullshit could just be ignored as par for the course.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I had an email from Harper Collins today puffing the Baddiel book with a back scratching from Stephen Fry. Presumably we will see a book from Stephen Fry with a back scratching from Baddiel in the next year or so.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol Owen Jones is finishing up his YouTube show and reading out his superchats has someone asking what is up with his Boris Johnson hair

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Christ, he's still on about that?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

The best plan is still to go north of Beaufort's Dyke, via the Mull of Kintyre. And then as soon as the infrastructure is in place to reduce the journey to there from Glasgow is complete, Scottish independence baby!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Why can't they just build a tunnel bridge?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Oh its got bombs in it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If he keeps loving up trade that'll be true regardless of the route.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Re: Scandi Noir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OOpZitfd0

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(at least some of which was spent coming up with a way of explaining to the Scots that they weren't going to bother with calling her Elizabeth I of Scotland, the compromise of taking the highest reginal number from whichever of the crowns the monarch was wearing allegedly being Churchill's idea).

Let's not mess about the idea was really "just use the English title" and that's the explanation that fit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm no mega-engineer, but that looks a lot like four tunnels to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They did spend a few years chiselling the IIs off of postboxes in Scotland though, which is another reason why Charles will not be King Charles III, doesn't want to bring that up again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh its got bombs in it.

That's the least of the problems, by definition a bridge can, you know, bridge that sort of thing. The regular >70mph winds, whiteout fogs, and more tornadoes than a Missouri trailer park would make using it slightly more thrilling than trying to walk through the bombs.

I like that at least a couple of basic facts - the big trench full of explosives and the likelihood of Scotland leaving the Union immediately the thing was finished - seem to have penetrated his brain, and by the fourth iteration he might have realised the utter loving stupidity of making it a car tunnel rather than a train one. Progress and growth are good things!

In all seriousness, as a recession-busting megaproject it's not a truly horrendous idea, and (along with all the supporting infrastructure it would need) would actually be a pretty big boon to NW England and western Scotland. It's way better than Her Majesty's GPS or yet more aircraft carriers or whatever other poo poo they're lying about spending money on. Of course spending all that money on building out massive public transport across the country (including finally fixing the last-mile problem for rail freight) would have a thousand times the multiplier effect on the money spent but that would make Jeremy Clarkson frown and we can't have that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

I'm no mega-engineer, but that looks a lot like four tunnels to me.

Only build three, leave off the one that actually connects to NI :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Let's not mess about the idea was really "just use the English title" and that's the explanation that fit.

Oh of course, but by pretending a putative future King James would take the Scottish number is the sugar that made the medicine go down, and it's just coincidence that nobody ever likely to be anywhere near the crown born since then has had a Scottish monarch's name anywhere in the 48 names they all loving get for some reason.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

Or in the case of Detroit Lions fans, laugh at how bad your own sports team is.

this year is our year!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Only build three, leave off the one that actually connects to NI :v:

Douglas becomes a massive freeport for trade between the Republic of Scotland and the Holy Roman Empire-esque collection of arguing city-states and feudal fiefdoms that England and Wales will have descended into by then, as a way of avoiding the Northumbrian pirates holding the northbound Buckfast tankers and southbound shortbread convoys hostage.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh of course, but by pretending a putative future King James would take the Scottish number is the sugar that made the medicine go down, and it's just coincidence that nobody ever likely to be anywhere near the crown born since then has had a Scottish monarch's name anywhere in the 48 names they all loving get for some reason.

Time for King Constantine III (IV) (because there 2 Kings of Scotland but before that there was also a Pictish Constantine but he doesn't count somehow)

Of course when Chuck dies, we get to William, who would be William V of England but William IV of Scotland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
It is actually shocking just how poo poo Keir has turned out. I knew he would be bad in terms of direction he’d take the party, but I didn’t actually think he’d alienate the broader electorate quite as much as he has in his first year in post (with a largely docile press, might I add).

Have any leaders of the (major) political parties actually resigned or lost leadership challenges before leading their party through at least one general election? Short of a truly disqualifying scandal, it doesn’t feel like anything - like bad local election results - might actually compel Starmer to stand down before 2024, right?