Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Shockingly, I am grossed-out by compound fractures.

Yeah, to be fair I'd rather sop around in a big pool of menstrual goo than have to see the insidey bits of a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've never tried blood sausage I should though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Much like peanut butter some prefer smooth, some prefer chunky.

:lmao:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’m about to have my first period without birth control in 15 years and I feel absolutely awful. The one I was on was making me crazy, angry and suicidally depressed for exactly 36 hours until my period actually started and then I’d be fine.

I don’t know if it’s worth the trade off. Hopefully I’ll be able to go on a different one and not have the same side effects.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Shockingly, I am grossed-out by compound fractures.

My sister got a compound fracture in Orchestra*, it was pretty gruesome; I screamed when I saw it. She got surgery to put a plate and screws into her arm, and then eventually another one to get them taken out. I still get freaked-out chills just thinking about how badly that had to hurt.

*She tripped over a large prop jungle gym that took up a large section of the stage. The violin section was separated from the rest of us by it, and people had to either walk through it, or go around it off-stage. She tripped on one floor-level bar and broke her arm on the other. This girl played four different sports, and broke her arm walking across the stage at the end of Orchestra.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Haulin Oates posted:

My sister got a compound fracture in Orchestra*, it was pretty gruesome; I screamed when I saw it. She got surgery to put a plate and screws into her arm, and then eventually another one to get them taken out. I still get freaked-out chills just thinking about how badly that had to hurt.

*She tripped over a large prop jungle gym that took up a large section of the stage. The violin section was separated from the rest of us by it, and people had to either walk through it, or go around it off-stage. She tripped on one floor-level bar and broke her arm on the other. This girl played four different sports, and broke her arm walking across the stage at the end of Orchestra.

This story makes me go inside-out yeeeeeeessh. Also it's a bit infuriating that could be allowed to happen.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Today my friend was eating a hamburger and I started crying a little because I really want a hamburger.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Just got raspberry leaf tea and so help me god I better shoot out my period like a jet ski on a lovely lake. I’m like a half day in and I am DONE.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HellOnEarth posted:

Today my friend was eating a hamburger and I started crying a little because I really want a hamburger.

Awwww 🍔

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
This month's pms: hives for three days, suddenly really loving depressed and exhausted and then 5 hours later I start bleeding. AMAZING.

edit: also I think I got sudden onset dyslexia for part of the day? Is that a loving thing????

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

CherryCola posted:

This month's pms: hives for three days, suddenly really loving depressed and exhausted and then 5 hours later I start bleeding. AMAZING.

edit: also I think I got sudden onset dyslexia for part of the day? Is that a loving thing????

probably from the fatigue you mentioned!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Classic Comrade posted:

probably from the fatigue you mentioned!

poo poo!

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does having my period make me have to crap so much, Jesus? And be accompanied by a massive, painful zit on my upper inner thigh?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Haulin Oates posted:

Why does having my period make me have to crap so much, Jesus? And be accompanied by a massive, painful zit on my upper inner thigh?

period shits seem to be either applesauce or concrete, you never know which and sometimes it's both!

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Pyrtanis posted:

period shits seem to be either applesauce or concrete, you never know which and sometimes it's both!

It's normally first one and then the other....the order tends to be a surprise though

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Finally got my power back here in Austin just in time for the ol period to start. Thank god all the valentines candy is clearance because I am fiending for chocolate right now. All I want to do is hibernate!! And complain, apparently.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've gotten to the joyous age where the period cycle gives me weird palpitations for days on end. When it first started, I just thought I was about to die of fucky heart, but I got tested and did a little research. The tests showed no heart problems at all, and the research said 'yeah, that'll happen'. loving weird pitta patty heart intermittently for days on end when hormone switches are happening.

Fun Times!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My period has been over for a week and I still have lingering menstrual cramps. I’ve never had this before and they suck and I can’t work out as much as I can and feel way more tired. Uterus was a mistake

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

My period has been over for a week and I still have lingering menstrual cramps. I’ve never had this before and they suck and I can’t work out as much as I can and feel way more tired. Uterus was a mistake

Something Awful Forums > menstruation megathread: uterus was a mistake

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This uterus a mistake :dadjoke:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

I've gotten to the joyous age where the period cycle gives me weird palpitations for days on end. When it first started, I just thought I was about to die of fucky heart, but I got tested and did a little research. The tests showed no heart problems at all, and the research said 'yeah, that'll happen'. loving weird pitta patty heart intermittently for days on end when hormone switches are happening.

Fun Times!

At its best when you're trying to fall asleep and can't because your heart is being a hyperactive child on a sugar binge.
"This is not what 'cardio' means!" I mentally scream to my stupid organs.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I lost my birth control pills. I haven't had PIV sex in several years so I'm not worried about accidental pregnancy as much as I'm worried about my bones/ovaries/uterus disintegrating or spontaneously combusting. Please tell me I'm not going to die (at least not from this). :ohdear:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

At its best when you're trying to fall asleep and can't because your heart is being a hyperactive child on a sugar binge.
"This is not what 'cardio' means!" I mentally scream to my stupid organs.

Oh yeah, its 100% at night, so you have all silence to hear the weirdness, and allthe free time to think about how you're about to die. (Probably not of course, but maaaaaybe...)

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

They're gonna find blood residue in my sink and pin murder on me and all I'll be able to say is "THE CUP I HAD TO CLEAN THE CUP"

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I lost my birth control pills. I haven't had PIV sex in several years so I'm not worried about accidental pregnancy as much as I'm worried about my bones/ovaries/uterus disintegrating or spontaneously combusting. Please tell me I'm not going to die (at least not from this). :ohdear:

I went off birth control when I could no longer afford it or a trip to PP for free ones. I can't argue against spontaneous combustion because I think that's what causes hot flashes but nothing has disintegrated yet.

Pookah posted:

Oh yeah, its 100% at night, so you have all silence to hear the weirdness, and allthe free time to think about how you're about to die. (Probably not of course, but maaaaaybe...)

There are plenty of nights when I have to use ear plugs (noisy upstairs neighbors) and they make the pounding seem so much worse. At least the banging about upstairs is not an obvious sign that my heart is about to bust out of my ribcage and go forth to roam the night, devouring small animals and laying waste to local crops.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

xcheopis posted:

I went off birth control when I could no longer afford it or a trip to PP for free ones. I can't argue against spontaneous combustion because I think that's what causes hot flashes but nothing has disintegrated yet.

How long ago did you go off of it? It's been two days for me. Quite frankly, I'm happy I have an excuse not to take it, because (I think) it was making my period like 3-5 weeks long (it's a common mini-pill side effect).

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

How long ago did you go off of it? It's been two days for me. Quite frankly, I'm happy I have an excuse not to take it, because (I think) it was making my period like 3-5 weeks long (it's a common mini-pill side effect).

It's been at least 9 years. I did ok on the pill and don't think stopping them affected my periods all that much. I did think so, initially, because they were suddenly very erratic and I went from having maybe 24 hours of heavy flow to days and days of it, but that was more likely the advent of perimenopause.

going from mostly tolerable periods to having to change tampons every four hours for more than a week and still wear a pad just in case while i was homeless and unemployed is genuinely the main reason i embraced menopause with glee.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

YeahTubaMike posted:

the only thing that happened to me when i missed like half a pack of doses (bc USPS was slammed with holiday stuff and my pills were lost in the mail somewhere for like 2 weeks) was that my period happened (which was normal), but then i had spotting/very light period-type stuff for a whole two weeks afterwards even after i was able to start taking the pill again. annoying but not anything worse

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

YeahTubaMike posted:

Lubrication will help with the combustion, but as to the rest, you may have a calcium deficiency which you should get immediate attention for.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

The amount of water weight my body insists on holding onto the week before my period is ludicrous, and as soon as I start bleeding it just vanishes again. I'm trying to lose weight right now so it's doing my head in even more than usual.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else think it horribly loving unfair that we get to deal with this for our entire lives, whereas dudes hit puberty, get a growth spurt, don't have to shave at all, and the downside is....they get boners in awkward times?

Yes yes it's the price we pay for genetic certainty but gently caress genetic certainty when I am never having kids!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else think it horribly loving unfair that we get to deal with this for our entire lives, whereas dudes hit puberty, get a growth spurt, don't have to shave at all, and the downside is....they get boners in awkward times?

Yes yes it's the price we pay for genetic certainty but gently caress genetic certainty when I am never having kids!

We don't have to deal with our periods for our entire lives.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

We don't have to deal with our periods for our entire lives.

We apparently trade it in for something potentially worse.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

angry emu posted:

The amount of water weight my body insists on holding onto the week before my period is ludicrous, and as soon as I start bleeding it just vanishes again. I'm trying to lose weight right now so it's doing my head in even more than usual.

ah yes love feeling like those dried out sponge capsules that get hit with a firehose

I'm about five days out, and just sighed and gave in to the siren call of all dressed chips, future me is sad but she understands the salt fiending :unsmith:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Apparently my period started. With no symptoms, nothing.

I wanted Nexplanon to end the period, my symptoms weren't bad I just don't want to deal with loving bleeding!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Mate my cat is such a loving creep. Just started my period today and she sits on my lap and then starts sniffing around, like NO, DON’T DO THAT OH GOD GET OFF ME’.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
We just got a new dog and he barked at my wife the day her period started.

I'm not sure if I want to correct that, technically he's warning me of a potential threat.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This morning I stretched a little as I was waking up, and that dumped out what felt like a quarter cup of blood, it was horrifying. I'm on my second week and still cramping and making big clumps, so it's time to break out the red raspberry leaf.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

We just got a new dog and he barked at my wife the day her period started.

I'm not sure if I want to correct that, technically he's warning me of a potential threat.

as long as you also train the doggo to bring her her preferred rag snack, this is tolerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

There are plenty of nights when I have to use ear plugs (noisy upstairs neighbors) and they make the pounding seem so much worse. At least the banging about upstairs is not an obvious sign that my heart is about to bust out of my ribcage and go forth to roam the night, devouring small animals and laying waste to local crops.

I just did a little more reading and you know, it's absolutely infuriating that this is such an extremely commonplace thing to happen when you hit your late 30's/early 40's, and no one ever mentions it as a thing.

You hear all about the hot flashes in actual menopause, but no one thinks to mention that even when your period cycle seems to be exactly the same as it ever was, you're really quite likely to start noticing your heart start hammering, or in my case doing that 'pause... EXTRA BIG BEAT' thing several times a minutes, off and on for days on end when your hormone levels change.

It would have saved me a hell of a lot of worrying if I'd known to expect it.

I remember when it first started, I freaked out and went to the doctor, got a 24 hour heart monitor to check (no probs), so I was a bit reassured, but kind of puzzled, and I mentioned the whole thing to my mother, and she was all "oh yeah, I remember when that started happening to me too; for a while, I thought I was about to drop dead, and then I thought 'gently caress it, hasn't happened yet' and ignored it."

Pookah fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 1, 2021