Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

njsykora posted:

No you're remembering right, 3 of the Stop 'N' Swop items (the Ice Key and the Sharkbait Island and Gobi's Tomb eggs) were collectable with cheat codes that opened them up. I'm pretty sure those were printed in magazines before Tooie came out, since they would've been spurred on by the shots of the items Mumbo shows you in the ending.

yeah thats what i thought but the rare gamer article states that only romhackers found the codes a year after BT's release, got really confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
if anyone is wanting to play it on real hardware

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1363110185569509378

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

real hardware video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_Nn4QwHgU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course right after I sell my n64 and everdrive.

As long as Eternal Darkness N64 doesn't leak. That's my holy grail...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo

So this build is from long enough after Sabre being swapped out for Fox that the voice acting reflects the change, but he's still referred to as "Sabre" in some places...?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Empress Brosephine posted:

Of course right after I sell my n64 and everdrive.

As long as Eternal Darkness N64 doesn't leak. That's my holy grail...

hoping for that and literally anything from Earthbound 64 myself

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Holy poo poo

So this build is from long enough after Sabre being swapped out for Fox that the voice acting reflects the change, but he's still referred to as "Sabre" in some places...?

yeah but the voice actors are all rare employees i think, they are the same ones from perfeck dark and conker

supposedly miyamoto said sabre reminded him of fox and so they ended up swapping him out and then i guess adding the rest into the gamecube version.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

blatman posted:

hoping for that and literally anything from Earthbound 64 myself

:same: and N64 RE0.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah but the voice actors are all rare employees i think, they are the same ones from perfeck dark and conker
Yeah, Rare did all their voiceover work themselves until the Xbox era, and even then they still managed to sneak themselves in every now and then (one of the animators accidentally won an AIAS award for voicing Leafos in Viva Pinata!)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It still blows my mind that this guy was the voice for Killer Instinct 1 and 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is so absurdly cool to see all of this stuff though it keeps getting my hopes up for Mother 64.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm way happier the finished game ended up as a 16-bit sprite-based game but yeah I would do anything to see the N64 version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'm way happier the finished game ended up as a 16-bit sprite-based game but yeah I would do anything to see the N64 version.

I absolutely agree but that magazine ad and screenshots still linger in my brain.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is the N64 version of Dino Planet complete? Did the whole game get finished and then they started work on the GC version?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

sigher posted:

Is the N64 version of Dino Planet complete? Did the whole game get finished and then they started work on the GC version?

sounds like it, needs some work tho to be able to play from begining to end they said and people who are playing it are running into game breaking bugs.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It looks and runs like poo poo on actual hardware, I tried it out earlier today. But that’s not unusual for a lot of late n64 games that tried to push the system a little too hard.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

N64 in with a good chance for 2021 GOTY.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
This is awesome, loving all these Rare leaks.

My holy grail remains a leak of Twelve Tales: Conker 64, so my inner child can finally play the game I lusted after for years of Nintendo Power screenshots, before it got turned into a game my parents would never have let me play.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Here’s a weird question: who owns the rights to the character in DP who got cut for Fox? Does Nintendo own it, since he was created as work for a game using their IP? Does Rare own it, ala Conker or Banjo, since he was never actually in the released game, and the game they originally developed him for was *not* made with a Nintendo IP? Would it belong to the original artists who drew him since he was never actually finished? Or is it just a Wild West where if you hear of an idea for something that didn’t end up getting made you can have a shot at it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sabre was created before it was a Star Fox game, but Nintendo owns the game it became, so it might be a weird in-between.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Sabre was created before it was a Star Fox game, but Nintendo owns the game it became, so it might be a weird in-between.

I just want to know who could put them in their next kart racer. Mario Kart, Banjo Kart, Yooka-Laylee Kart? This is important.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i mean hes called sabre as in both KI and Sabre Wulf by ultimate play the game who then became rare so...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vikar Jerome posted:

sounds like it, needs some work tho to be able to play from begining to end they said and people who are playing it are running into game breaking bugs.

That's nuts, I'd love for people to get it running without issue and have the N64 library increase by one game 21 years after it's end.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I played like half an hour earlier and the Dinosaur Planet experience is pretty jank. It's kind of like equipping the iron boots to do loving anything. Open menu, of which there are three on various c buttons, then a selector, then you activate the ability or item.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vikar Jerome posted:

supposedly miyamoto said sabre reminded him of fox and so they ended up swapping him out and then i guess adding the rest into the gamecube version.

The other thing that's often overlooked is that there's an early segment of the game (which was shown in early Dino Planet footage and carried over basically unchanged into Adventures) where you're chasing after the bad guy's flying galleon on a dinosaur in a very Star Fox-esque manner. So presumably Miyamoto saw that and said "oh so this is basically Star Fox? just make it Star Fox".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I loved how Star Fox Adventures, gave the impression there'd be other, you know, Adventures.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I played like half an hour earlier and the Dinosaur Planet experience is pretty jank. It's kind of like equipping the iron boots to do loving anything. Open menu, of which there are three on various c buttons, then a selector, then you activate the ability or item.

Yeah I played an hour before I couldn't figure out how to progress the game and the unintuitive manner of the c menu took some getting used to. Thank christ that was changed in SFA. Also the having to manually press A to pick up stunned mushroom is annoying as hell too.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is cool. tho reading that whole rare gamer thing is distorting my own personal timeline canon since i recall using the BK codes to get the swap items before BT was released, it was codes found on the internet/gaming mag i think but now im wondering if im misremembering when my brother got tooie or if the release date here was later than the usa maybe or the codes were in a mag way before bt came out? eh who knows.

then again i remember using codes in goldeneye to unlock extra characters and roger moore in mp and those codes dont unlock roger moore so i guess my memory is hosed lmao
I also swear the extra characters code unlocked the other bonds but looks like my memory is shot too. Those Goldeneye codes were insane, I remember there was a full double page spread in my nintendo magazine when they were revealled. Not only could I get access to all the cheats I wasn't good enough to unlock there were slso a bunch if completely new cheats effects and unlockabkes it ruled.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I never played SFA, how much does this leak resemble the game that eventually got released in terms of progression/abilities/environments/etc? Like, does it follow roughly the same template, or is it something radically different?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anything relating to crystal being playable beyond the first 30 minutes is radically different

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm curious about the last boss. I remember thinking it was dumb that the dude you thought would be the last boss was actually super easy, and then you just fought Andross instead.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pretty good posted:

I never played SFA, how much does this leak resemble the game that eventually got released in terms of progression/abilities/environments/etc? Like, does it follow roughly the same template, or is it something radically different?

Hi it's me the person who still has SFA memorized after all these years. I can get stupid specific later if you'd like but here are some quick highlights:

-The opening galleon fight with Krystal is largely the same and the whole rescue Tricky sequence and leaving Snowhorn Wastes is identical to SFA.

-The shopkeeper and his shop are largely the same. Haggling with him and doing his scarab mini game actually work better here than in SFA.

-Evrionment design is largely different but some specific bits were reused, like the chamber you meet Randorn in. The Krazoa symbol textures were also reused.

-Based on the menu you still gotta collect spell stones and Krazoa spirits but there's one less spell stone.

-Learning new spells is apparently a collect pages deal instead of straight up finding the chamber for the upgrade. You still start with the fire ball and use it mostly for switches.

-The c stick inventory is there but the controls for it are implemented badly.

Edit: Oh yeah the enemies and designs of the dinos are all the same.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 22, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Does the game have bafmodads.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Does the game have bafmodads.

They got a different name that I think begins with N but they look like the same alien rabbit thing just colored light blue or close to it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If the collectables don't have awful inscrutable names, then I see no point.
A bafmodad isn't a bafmodad unless it has a stupid name.

But joking aside, I'm blown away. I never knew the N64 version got this far along, or that Fox was added prior to the Gamecube jump. I could have sworn I remember hearing about Dinosaur Planet being still worked on in the GC era before they announced the rebranding.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It was something inscrutable here too I'll just have to game over in Dino Planet again and pay attention this time. Also the stupid dino language doesn't seem to have been invented yet in what I've seen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If the collectables don't have awful inscrutable names, then I see no point.
A bafmodad isn't a bafmodad unless it has a stupid name.

But joking aside, I'm blown away. I never knew the N64 version got this far along, or that Fox was added prior to the Gamecube jump. I could have sworn I remember hearing about Dinosaur Planet being still worked on in the GC era before they announced the rebranding.

From what it sounds like this was basically a last minute find-and-replace thing before they moved to GC.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

From what it sounds like this was basically a last minute find-and-replace thing before they moved to GC.

Last minute that still had the voicework redone. I know what you mean, it's still funny to think that we have a weird beta that's almost literally halfway between changing one major character. If the beta was built a couple of weeks sooner or later, we may not have any proof of one of the characters was actually in the game (either Fox or Sabre).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr Phillby posted:

I also swear the extra characters code unlocked the other bonds but looks like my memory is shot too. Those Goldeneye codes were insane, I remember there was a full double page spread in my nintendo magazine when they were revealled. Not only could I get access to all the cheats I wasn't good enough to unlock there were slso a bunch if completely new cheats effects and unlockabkes it ruled.

If I'm remembering right, there are two remnants of All Bonds still out there. One are the promotional headshots that presumably would've been used to differentiate the save files in Goldeneye (and probably be reused as the character select portraits). The other is that Perfect Dark's multiplayer conspicuously has four distinctive tuxedos that go perfectly with the four Bonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The headshots are present in the Goldeneye rom and visible in a screenshot of the file select screen in the manual (or maybe on the back of the box?). The associated ingame assets aren't there at all though.