Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

Lol nen is a super secret thing but also regular people can go watch fights where clearly impossible stuff happens and you might get murdered unexpectedly

That's definitely an issue with Hunter x Hunter's worldbuilding. There's traces of the same oddness in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but it's even more glaring in Hunter x Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It really is hilarious in retrospect how that fight was already decided when Hisoka told Chrollo to choose the time and place he would be fighting to the death, and everything afterwards is just what we should have expected to happen. Well, except Hisoka surviving, but at least it looks like he got hosed all the way up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

That's definitely an issue with Hunter x Hunter's worldbuilding. There's traces of the same oddness in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but it's even more glaring in Hunter x Hunter.

The real weird one to me is the idea of Killua not even knowing what nen is. Come on Togashi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

Lol nen is a super secret thing but also regular people can go watch fights where clearly impossible stuff happens and you might get murdered unexpectedly

The heaven's arena isn't really a place normal people can just go to, and past the 200th floor everyone knows what nen is or thinks it's just trickery. Not completely unfounded since this world has various magical creatures and bizarre phenomenon that are public knowledge and a giant continent everyone knows not to go to bordering them. Psychic powers are still something you wouldn't immediately believe are real in that setting. It's even pointed out that the news have no idea what happened and figured it was just Chrollo using a regular bomb and later when someone gets killed in a bathroom it's assumed some bizarre creature stowed away on the ship.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The real weird one to me is the idea of Killua not even knowing what nen is. Come on Togashi.
This one however is kind of dumb. Not because the overbearing family of assassins didn't teach the renegade son Nen, but because Killua somehow could identify his grandfather's Dragon Dive ability despite never having seen it before.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Brought To You By posted:

The heaven's arena isn't really a place normal people can just go to, and past the 200th floor everyone knows what nen is or thinks it's just trickery. Not completely unfounded since this world has various magical creatures and bizarre phenomenon that are public knowledge and a giant continent everyone knows not to go to bordering them. Psychic powers are still something you wouldn't immediately believe are real in that setting. It's even pointed out that the news have no idea what happened and figured it was just Chrollo using a regular bomb and later when someone gets killed in a bathroom it's assumed some bizarre creature stowed away on the ship.

This one however is kind of dumb. Not because the overbearing family of assassins didn't teach the renegade son Nen, but because Killua somehow could identify his grandfather's Dragon Dive ability despite never having seen it before.

It gets even worse retrospectively when they introduced Alluka. "Nen is wild! I have never seen super powers before despite having a wish granting sibling"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vise the Stompy posted:

It gets even worse retrospectively when they introduced Alluka. "Nen is wild! I have never seen super powers before despite having a wish granting sibling"

Alluka does not seem to be Nen.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I think the only way to justify it is to day it was because of Illumi's needles or something like that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

You could rationalize that Killua saw Zeno make a big hole in the ground and say something like, "This is Dragon Drive, one of my secret techniques. I'll explain how it works when you're older."

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
While I think Killua not knowing nen is a bit weird, it's 100% a thing his family would do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
recall how much the zoldyck household focused on physical strength. it isn't too strange that killua would attribute various superhuman feats by his family to a lifetime of extreme body training. heck, killua could perform superhuman feats of strength before he learned nen, too.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
i mean it seems fairly in line with the Zoldyck family to train the poo poo out of Killuas physical prowess before they move onto nen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc they meant for him to learn nen when he was like six and made him go to heavens arena (presumably the fast way) he just hosed off right before the nen users showed up and they got mad and said gently caress it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Whenever Nen was happening, Killua was in the bathroom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc they meant for him to learn nen when he was like six and made him go to heavens arena (presumably the fast way) he just hosed off right before the nen users showed up and they got mad and said gently caress it.
He was told to return when he reached the floor where nen is required. Between that and how his brother conditioned him to basically run away when he encountered anyone using strange abilities leads me to believe they were still keeping Killua in the dark regarding Nen. Probably to do with how overprotective Illumi is and how rebellious Killua was to the family.

Silver2195 posted:

You could rationalize that Killua saw Zeno make a big hole in the ground and say something like, "This is Dragon Drive, one of my secret techniques. I'll explain how it works when you're older."
I could, but it's such a weirdly trivial but kind of important thing that it asks too many questions.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The keeping in the dark seems fairly exclusive to Killua too, since his youngest sibling is a nen user and member of the Troupe at age 10.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Very mixed feelings on I Tell C. I like that it's putting a focus on the emotional strains that lead to people becoming criminals, but it definitely feels like it's more a manga about cops doing whatever they want. Guess we'll see!

It's this. The whole 'this woman falls in love with criminals' is just set dressing to make cops doing whatever the hell they want appear cute and quirky. At least in Ron Kamonohashi, the actual focus is on solving murder mysteries.

Still also not fully sold on Elusive Samurai. The priest guy is just SO creepy. I just want him out of the picture but I know that's not happening lol. I also hate to say it, but the huge number of Japanese names and words kind of makes it a bit of a chore to read. I know that it's appropriate for the era, but that doesn't make it easier to read.

Darth TNT posted:

Elusive Samurai. Priest is the worst and he is ruining my enjoyment of the series. It's still early days though and I think it has potential.

I wonder if we'll get a twist that creepy priest is supposed to be someone from the future. There doesn't really seem to be any magic in the setting, so it would explain why creepy priest seems to know too many details about things that'll happen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

amigolupus posted:

It's this. The whole 'this woman falls in love with criminals' is just set dressing to make cops doing whatever the hell they want appear cute and quirky. At least in Ron Kamonohashi, the actual focus is on solving murder mysteries.

I wonder if we'll get a twist that creepy priest is supposed to be someone from the future. There doesn't really seem to be any magic in the setting, so it would explain why creepy priest seems to know too many details about things that'll happen.
I can't remember off the top of my head but I want to say the priest character is named after a real priest who was born AFTER the time period this is set in, so yeah the gag is probably that he's from the future.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Has priest guy actually predicted anything though? At first I thought those pitfalls, but then it was revealed he made the other kids dig dozens of pitfalls everywhere, so no matter where the protag ran he'd fall in one and it'd look like priest guy predicted his movements.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Has priest guy actually predicted anything though? At first I thought those pitfalls, but then it was revealed he made the other kids dig dozens of pitfalls everywhere, so no matter where the protag ran he'd fall in one and it'd look like priest guy predicted his movements.

Okay, maybe prediction isn't the best word for it, but there's been these instances of him mentioning things that only exist in the future:

It might be played as a gag, but it's still pretty suspicious.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The priest's name is Suwa Yorishige, which matches the name of a samurai born in 1516.

The year this takes place in is 1333, so I'm guessing that's the angle.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Zerilan posted:

The keeping in the dark seems fairly exclusive to Killua too, since his youngest sibling is a nen user and member of the Troupe at age 10.

Silva always viewed Killua as his successor, it makes sense he treats him differently.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i flunked out posted:

Silva always viewed Killua as his successor, it makes sense he treats him differently.

Checks out as he's the only blonde child

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One plot point I hope the Demon Slayer anime eventually expands upon is the stuff with Zenitsu's rival. In the manga he just kind of appears out of nowhere, has a plot dump and then is defeated. It is one of the parts that feels like it was cut for time.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Jose posted:

Checks out as he's the only blonde child

lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There have been 3 chapters of Ragna Crimson fresh out the oven.
gently caress! guess I'm joining gimme the GOD drat candy in the Starlia riots. loving Chad Thundercock shows up and ruins everything.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Speaking of Elusive Samurai's mangaka, we just got to that part in Assassination Classroom. It's kind of wild knowing that within a chapter or two, this whole plot about Nagisa's abusive mom will fizzle into nothing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Um. Oh wow. Pretty sure that didn’t play out quite like that in the anime, at least the end part.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There have been 3 chapters of Ragna Crimson fresh out the oven.
gently caress! guess I'm joining gimme the GOD drat candy in the Starlia riots. loving Chad Thundercock shows up and ruins everything.

this is loving bullshit

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao what the gently caress is going on in Fire Force

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

It's both creepy and cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as things get weirder and weirder the possibility of a direct connection to soul eater becomes more likely. the moon was just the start.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Dexo posted:

I got no loving clue and I have no idea how to feel about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder how the anime is going to do that part.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It would be disappointing if they didn't go just as hard and do it in live action.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I must not have been the only one who got completely lost in this meta manga power stuff in Undead Unluck since the author spent half this chapter explaining it again in the simplest possible terms. :lol:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Enjoyed Witch Watch this week! I'm enjoying goofy magic fun times, and I'm liking the teacher too.

Second chapter of Nine Dragon Balls Parade was.. Fine. I like the new girl. Lots of yaoi baiting.

Magu was fun, now I wanna try DARK HOT POT. Also plot stuff may be happening? I hope this is all a bunch of buildup to a new friend.

Roboco makes for the best out of context panels

Less creepy guy in Elusive Samurai this week, and when he is there, he's not creepy! What is creepy is that one dude's eye.

Good "oh poo poo" moment at the end of Jujutsu Kaisen.

I Tell C... Ehh....

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:drat: Sakamoto pulling out the best spread of the series so far with Hardboiled.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

What is creepy is that one dude's eye.
I want to see this artist draw a horror manga.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
A cheap tactic, but the mangaka of Witch Watch knows what it takes to hook me. It's Hunter x Hunter jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Trying to recall an Anime that aired on Toonami or Adult Swim back in the day. It was about two exorcists boy and girl dressed in traditional robes and whatnot. Can't recall the name. There was another one as well that was super ecchi about the son of the head priest who'd be able to channel super amounts of holy energy whenever something ecchi happened and was the one guy surrounded by several priestesses in training. They both just sort of popped into my head all of a sudden.