Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

fsif posted:

His theoretical appeal is something that I am intrinsically completely unable to understand. It's like Joel Osteen—how do people see these guys as anything other than surface level hucksters? They're like Tiny Tunes level caricatures of snake oil salesmen.

Sounds like someone doesn't have an inspiration cube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

fsif posted:

His theoretical appeal is something that I am intrinsically completely unable to understand. It's like Joel Osteen—how do people see these guys as anything other than surface level hucksters? They're like Tiny Tunes level caricatures of snake oil salesmen.

He has a modicum of ability, a pastor and is willing to tell a billionaire failson all about the prosperity gospel.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Declan MacManus posted:

knew a guy who knew a guy; basically he went from SCAR to kansas city (ryan succop recommended him to scott pioli) and he embedded himself there after that one guy killed himself at the team facility and he ended up being really supportive and made a good impression on everyone, then scott pioli recommended him to the pats and to belichick because of the aaron hernandez disaster, and then he got brought in by b.o.b to the texans

the rest is history

I like the perception that this pattern gives that “being coached by BoB” is a disaster on the scale of Jovan Belcher or Aaron Hernandez

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

fartknocker posted:

Is this now a Gendo alt account or something?

oh god he's gonna send our nudes to our employers everyone take cover

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Look, I respect the artist in every way that doesn't involve compensating them. Also the single greatest atrocity in human history is the capital gains tax, and everyone could be as wealthy as me if they just worked a little harder.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

can you try that again using words/phrases that have meaning when they are put together

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Intruder posted:

The Texans have a problematic history with race but this specifically wasn't about race, they hired the one guy who wasn't going to push Easterby out and Easterby had McNair's ear on the hiring so

Like, I get this, but ignoring the list you just paid a pile of money to have made like this looks bad. Even if it wasn't the intent.

indigi posted:

what would that even look like? I don’t think we’d ever find out about it, Goodell isn’t gonna start calling out ownership publicly or leaking stuff to the media

To be fair, the league very publicly admonished and fined Detroit for ignoring the Rooney Rule when it hired Marriuchi. Of course, that was long before Goodell.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 19, 2021

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Sour Diesel posted:

can you try that again using words/phrases that have meaning when they are put together

He's LARPing a billionaire failson, I think

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

The Texans have a problematic history with race but this specifically wasn't about race, they hired the one guy who wasn't going to push Easterby out and Easterby had McNair's ear on the hiring so

Having somebody able to convince your owner to disregard a regulation put in place to allow for diversity hires is a race problem regardless of what the motivation was.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

D-LINK posted:

well i'd loving appreciate it if he attached a pciture of his costume so i could be immersed in the character, hes lucky i didnt report him

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sour Diesel posted:

well i'd loving appreciate it if he attached a pciture of his costume so i could be immersed in the character, hes lucky i didnt report him

I feel like it's weirder when a Bengals poster ISN'T going off on some bit only they think is relevant, honestly. There are scars.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Q_res posted:

To be fair, the league very publicly admonished and fined Detroit for ignoring the Rooney Rule when it hired Marriuchi. Of course, that was long before Goodell.

I think that was the same year or right after the rule was created too, so they really were asking to get slapped with a penalty.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

I feel like it's weirder when a Bengals poster ISN'T going off on some bit only they think is relevant, honestly. There are scars.

Andy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DC Murderverse posted:

I like the perception that this pattern gives that “being coached by BoB” is a disaster on the scale of Jovan Belcher or Aaron Hernandez

i mean if you think about how they altered the course of each franchise,

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

I don't see how the league hasn't poo poo a brick over that given they're at least trying to look like they care about minority hires.

The Texans also very cleverly hired a minority head coach so the league can't say poo poo. Note that this should not excuse the Texans and doesn't in my mind but that's why the league won't make a public stink about the GM part.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

D-LINK posted:

MISTER MCNAIR NEEDS HIS REST

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

We call that the afcn thread

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1363575815431143427

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I can't think of a precedent for a team alienating a top young QB in the league so hard that they're just like "gently caress you, get me out of here."

Am I forgetting one?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eli :v:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

sean10mm posted:

I can't think of a precedent for a team alienating a top young QB in the league so hard that they're just like "gently caress you, get me out of here."

Am I forgetting one?

No one of Watson's caliber/value. Closest analogs I can think of are Carson Palmer, who was much older and was coming off a multiple season skid to mediocrity, and famously agreeable Jay Cutler, who never came even close to playing at Watson's level.

So, no, this is unprecedented.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sean10mm posted:

Am I forgetting one?

fran tarkenton is the only one that comes to mind

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

He said "top quarterback" also said team alienated him versus prospect's dad projecting based on his own miserable career.

I wonder if Archie would have pitched a fit about Peyton playing for the chargers if the colts had drafted Ryan Leaf?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

No one of Watson's caliber/value. Closest analogs I can think of are Carson Palmer, who was much older and was coming off a multiple season skid to mediocrity, and famously agreeable Jay Cutler, who never came even close to playing at Watson's level.

So, no, this is unprecedented.
I can't verify this because PFR search is now paywalled but prior to 2008 I'm pretty sure only Dan Marino had thrown for over 4500 yards by the time they were 25. Like Marino and Cutler.

It's obviously not the best metric and it's since been passed over many times but Cutler was a pretty unique QB talent to be traded this early in his career after the season he had.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

He said "top quarterback" also said team alienated him versus prospect's dad projecting based on his own miserable career.

I wonder if Archie would have pitched a fit about Peyton playing for the chargers if the colts had drafted Ryan Leaf?

archie was right about the chargers

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sean10mm posted:

Am I forgetting one?

Not in recent history that’s for sure.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sour Diesel posted:

still is

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sour Diesel posted:

Rivers would have done much better in either situation than Eli would have so in that sense I guess you're right.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Eifert Posting posted:

Pretty sure Intruder was joking

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://defector.com/this-is-jack-easterbys-world/

quote:

“Love it, love it, love it,” Erika Nardini said. This was in 2014, and she had just been handed a drawing of “a bear wearing zebra-print pants and a shirt covered in ones and zeros” by an elfin 44-year-old Australian man known professionally as Shingy.

“I’m thinking of the bears more as a metaphor,” Nardini ventured. One thousand percent, Shingy replied.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
player leverage (at least for top QB's) has never been higher than it is now, so it makes sense this kind of thing is only happening now

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wyoak posted:

player leverage (at least for top QB's) has never been higher than it is now, so it makes sense this kind of thing is only happening now

I don't know if I agree with this. The new CBA made holding out pretty much impossible without fiscally shooting yourself in the foot. obviously I'm no expert but I feel like Watson's leverage would have been much higher a few years back before the new CBA

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Possibly, but if he was doing this in the era when a first overall pick immediately became the highest paid player on the roster the commentariat would be considerable less sanguine about trading him and drafting a new QB.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah I was thinking more from a “how players are viewed” standpoint

2019 probably would have been slightly better though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know if I agree with this. The new CBA made holding out pretty much impossible without fiscally shooting yourself in the foot.

top QBs (especially ones that got their big signing bonus already) don’t really have to worry about a few hundred grand in fines the way everyone else does

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

I can't verify this because PFR search is now paywalled but prior to 2008 I'm pretty sure only Dan Marino had thrown for over 4500 yards by the time they were 25. Like Marino and Cutler.

It's obviously not the best metric and it's since been passed over many times but Cutler was a pretty unique QB talent to be traded this early in his career after the season he had.

Yeah it was a big deal then, which I think goes to show just how much bigger of a deal it is with Watson, heh.

My recollection of Cutler at the time was a young quarterback with likely top 10 upside. Watson's the same age and already has three Pro Bowl appearances and is a no brainer, fully-realized top 5 QB (and also without whispers about him being a pissant).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The difference between Sam Bradfords rookie contract in 2010 and Cam Newton’s in 2011 is hilariously stark.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

top QBs (especially ones that got their big signing bonus already) don’t really have to worry about a few hundred grand in fines the way everyone else does

I might be wrong but I thought in the event someone holds out on a contract under the modern CBA the team can go after their signing bonus.

I'd love to be wrong in that front it's loving Byzantine.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The difference between Sam Bradfords rookie contract in 2010 and Cam Newton’s in 2011 is hilariously stark.

Yeah but Bradford is basically the reason they created the rookie scale to begin with IIRC

He was like the third highest player in the league before taking his first snap or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Bradford was just the last guy who got it, but it had been a subject for a few years before that. His rookie deal was like $80 million over 6 years, so him and Stafford the year before were instantly among the top ten highest paid players in the NFL. There was a decent bit of talk in those years about some teams not wanting high picks, or being unable to trade down, entirely because of how much it was going to cost to sign those guys and then being on the hook if the player didn't work out.