Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not referring to the goons dog case but a general idea is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accord_and_satisfaction

If one were to get sufficient accord and satisfaction, that can be a valid defense in future suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Are contracts or settlements between people without the involvement of a lawyer treated differently in court than if lawyers were involved or are they held to the same standard? Does this depend on both the judge and the court, small claims or not, along with the severity of the issue?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

Not referring to the goons dog case but a general idea is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accord_and_satisfaction

If one were to get sufficient accord and satisfaction, that can be a valid defense in future suits

The real risk id be worried about is a settlement being used as an admission your dog bit someone being used the next time to declare it a dangerous dog that needs to be put down, not a follow up claim.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

The real risk id be worried about is a settlement being used as an admission your dog bit someone being used the next time to declare it a dangerous dog that needs to be put down, not a follow up claim.

That’s a good point

Dog law is a real thing by the way

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Say I hypothetically gene spliced a dog to have turkey wings. It then bites someone. Does this fall under DOG LAW or BIRD LAW? For jurisdiction let’s assume this occurs during a naval salvage operation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It depends if your animal can reproduce with dogs or turkeys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But you can always default to fish law in those cases as all tetrapods are fish

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

one of the funniest things you have to learn for the FL bar is that if you have posted a sign that includes the phrase "BAD DOG" (specifically, it must have those two words in that order) on your property and your dog then bites someone on your property, you aren't liable

it seems mean to the dogs though :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

euphronius posted:

It depends if your animal can reproduce with dogs or turkeys

It’ll reproduce in conjunction with any host, a la Alien. I mean it would, if it existed. Because this is a hypothetical. Haha.

Unrelated question: if a naval salvage crew was impregnated by a mutant turkeydog, do we need to be concerned with who has custody of the child that burst out of his chest or nah?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

But you can always default to fish law in those cases as all tetrapods are fish

NO this is terrible advice, almost every country practices the lung/gill divide.

And don't you loving start it with loving lungfish WE HAVE BEEN TROUGH THIS A HUNDRED TIMES EUPHRONIOUS

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bad Munki posted:

It’ll reproduce in conjunction with any host, a la Alien. I mean it would, if it existed. Because this is a hypothetical. Haha.

Unrelated question: if a naval salvage crew was impregnated by a mutant turkeydog, do we need to be concerned with who has custody of the child that burst out of his chest or nah?

Is there a "if it breaks you, you bought it" legal clause out there that might apply?

Nonexistence posted:

We do whichever is cheaper, which normally shakes out to doing it in house for rote filings over one or a few years and farming out more complex stuff or if nothing/crap was filed by the trustee/executor for years before they approach us, or if we're in/anticipating litigation and want to use them as an expert.

Speaking from the other end, most of the ones I've seen are "Here, take care of this yourself Mr. Executor, here's the info a tax preparer would need" (the second part of that statement varying in accuracy of course).

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 21, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

eke out posted:

one of the funniest things you have to learn for the FL bar is that if you have posted a sign that includes the phrase "BAD DOG" (specifically, it must have those two words in that order) on your property and your dog then bites someone on your property, you aren't liable

it seems mean to the dogs though :(

Open and obvious hazard. :shittydog:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

all tetrapods are fish

And fish are not tangible objects, according to the Supreme Court.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And capybaras are fish, according to the Catholic church.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leperflesh posted:

Also beaver and alligator.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

And it's ok to eat fish because they don't have any feelings according to Nirvana

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

nm posted:

And it's ok to eat fish because they don't have any feelings according to Nirvana

Fish don’t exist according to fish biologists so they probably don’t mind either.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Dog law is a real thing by the way

I knew an attorney that "saved a dog from the death penalty" one time by filing a bunch of motions and poo poo for the owners after a bite and fighting it forever until the city just gave up, and then the clients got the bill and were like "HOLY gently caress we would have just let them kill the dog, why didn't you tell us it would be this expensive!!!?@?"

and then the dog bit someone else and got put down, lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
At the end of December I was the middle car in a three-car accident in Florida, got rear-ended and pushed into the car in front of me.

I had liability only, and the person that rear-ended me has lovely high-risk insurance (United Auto).

I had a personally recommended lawyer help me out with the claim so far, from what I understand their MO is that they help their clients with the property damage part of their claim, which most lawyers don't, in hope that they can find a way to recover more money through bodily injury or something else. They just basically cut me loose and said that they don't think there's any money to be made here, although they'll still answer any questions I have regarding property damage.

I can't get a hold of the adjuster (my lawyer gave them permission to speak to me, so that's not the issue), this information comes from a rep, so it may be unreliable.

Right now, the case stands as this: United estimated my car to be a total loss, worth 14k. Their insured has a property damage limit of 10k, which additionally has to be split between my vehicle and the vehicle I rear-ended. The vehicle in front of me was not heavily damaged, so I'm not too worried about that reduction although I know even small body work can be surprisingly high.

United is waiting on the front car's insurance to give them the damage estimate, as well as a statement from their own insured who apparently is avoiding their calls.

Do I have any reasonable recourse that will be worth my time to recover the gap between the payout and the value of the car? I asked my lawyer about suing the person directly, but they said they don't do that because it's usually not worth their time, although I'm welcome to look for a second opinion.

A time sensitive issue is that I'm paying rent on a storage unit to keep the wrecked car in, and my rent is coming up at the end of February, and obviously this won't be over by then. So I asked the rep if I could sell my car to a salvage yard, and this is where they told me what sounds like some loving bullshit. They said that if they do not take possession the car (and she's not even sure if they will offer to take it or not once it's all over), my payout will be reduced by the estimated salvage value of the car. What the gently caress? If my car was worth 14k before the accident and (let's say) 1k as scrap, they still owe me 13k of damages or the max, not (the_max - salvage_value). Is this how it works? Am I misunderstanding something? Is the rep wrong?

I guess maybe I'm misunderstanding and what they mean is that, if they take the car, then the payout would be (the_max + salvage_value), and if I get rid of it, the payout would be (the_max). Ugh I hate dealing with this poo poo so much

I'll get full coverage from now on. Even if myself and my parents combined saved more money over the 17 years of my life that I've had liability only than this costs me, this headache just isn't loving worth it.

feelix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 23, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
When your car is declared a total loss, they are essentially buying the corpse of the car from you. So yes, if you sell the corpse of the car for salvage, that money gets counted against what you would receive.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/what-total-loss-car-insurance

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Devor posted:

When your car is declared a total loss, they are essentially buying the corpse of the car from you. So yes, if you sell the corpse of the car for salvage, that money gets counted against what you would receive.

But the logical thing would be to make that reduction before applying the maximum payout limit, do you see what I'm saying? Ignoring the third vehicle for now, if they have a limit of 10k and they take a corpse worth 1k off my hands that was formerly worth 14k, they should pay me 11k, or 10k if I keep the corpse. Again, maybe that's how it actually works, the reps are clueless and I can't get a hold of the adjuster

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feelix posted:

But the logical thing would be to make that reduction before applying the maximum payout limit, do you see what I'm saying? Ignoring the third vehicle for now, if they have a limit of 10k and they take a corpse worth 1k off my hands that was formerly worth 14k, they should pay me 11k. Again, maybe that's how it actually works, the reps are clueless and I can't get a hold of the adjuster

it feels like the problem with your logic is that the thing that matters here is not your loss but the policy limit

what they owe you is a maximum of 10k (disregarding the third party claimant to the same pool of money) and insurance companies would not be insurance companies for long if they gave people 10% more than their policy says they owe on a regular basis.

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 24, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Devor posted:

This matches my experience with my insurance after I totaled my car through my own fault. But if someone else totals your car, I'm not sure their insurance also gets to keep your car after paying you. I'd be curious to find out. Preferably not by experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eke out posted:

it feels like the problem with your logic is that you think your loss is $14k and any extra money should be applied to that loss, but the actual thing that matters is not your loss but the policy limit

what they owe you is a maximum of 10k (disregarding the third party claimant to the same pool of money) and insurance companies would not be insurance companies for long if they gave people 10% more than their policy says they owe on a regular basis.

And you are free to go after the almost certainly judgement-proof person for any amount of your loss in excess of that $10k in civil court. You won't get anywhere. This is one of those "I won! I got a judgement." only to find out there is absolutely no way to collect on the judgement in any meaningful way.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

eke out posted:

it feels like the problem with your logic is that you think your loss is $14k and any extra money should be applied to that loss, but the actual thing that matters is not your loss but the policy limit

My loss is 13k, because I had a thing worth 14k and now I have a thing worth 1k. I should be allowed to take the 10k limit and keep the thing worth 1k, it's nonsense (I believe you that's how it works, but it's still nonsense) that I must also surrender the thing worth 1k or reduce the payout that's already less than my loss by that much.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if you have UIM coverage that covers property damage, that can likely be applied in situations like this -- it's insurance that you pay for that kicks in when another party causes you a loss that exceeds their insurance coverage

but i don't think it's commonly carried, most uninsured motorist coverage is about personal injury

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Motronic posted:

And you are free to go after the almost certainly judgement-proof person for any amount of your loss in excess of that $10k in civil court. You won't get anywhere. This is one of those "I won! I got a judgement." only to find out there is absolutely no way to collect on the judgement in any meaningful way.

Thanks, this is basically what I was hoping to hear. It loving sucks but I just want this to be over without feeling like I left money on the table. Especially since this is a person that is probably not well-off considering their insurance company and the fact that they're ducking calls.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

eke out posted:

if you have UIM coverage that covers property damage, that can likely be applied in situations like this -- it's insurance that you pay for that kicks in when another party causes you a loss that exceeds their insurance coverage

but i don't think it's commonly carried, most uninsured motorist coverage is about personal injury

I do not, I had literally the cheapest policy that Progressive sells that allows me to drive legally. Like I said, maybe realistically I saved money by being insured like that my whole life but my sanity is worth way more than I could have possibly saved.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feelix posted:

Especially since this is a person that is probably not well-off considering their insurance company

That's why I'm starting out with the assumption that they are judgement proof. People with assets to protect tend to carry sufficient insurance to protect their assets.

I suppose it's worth looking into just in case, but it's unlikely to help.

Edit: to your above post: you are not doing this. You should start carrying sufficient insurance for your vehicle at least. If you own anything else you probably want to make sure you have some sane policy limits for driving and any other type of liability you may incur.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 24, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Motronic posted:

That's why I'm starting out with the assumption that they are judgement proof. People with assets to protect tend to carry sufficient insurance to protect their assets.

I suppose it's worth looking into just in case, but it's unlikely to help.

Yeah I just looked up the definition of judgement proof, thanks.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Motronic posted:

Edit: to your above post: you are not doing this. You should start carrying sufficient insurance for your vehicle at least. If you own anything else you probably want to make sure you have some sane policy limits for driving and any other type of liability you may incur.

Yeah my rear end in a top hat puckered a little bit when I thought about whether I'd be judgement-proof if I hit one of the Porsches driving around Miami. Could they take my IRA? That's the only place I have any significant assets

E: looks like retirement accounts are judgement-proof so I can crash into all the lambos i want

feelix fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2021

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Legal Questions: I can crash into all the lambos i want

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

blarzgh posted:

I knew an attorney that "saved a dog from the death penalty" one time by filing a bunch of motions and poo poo for the owners after a bite and fighting it forever until the city just gave up, and then the clients got the bill and were like "HOLY gently caress we would have just let them kill the dog, why didn't you tell us it would be this expensive!!!?@?"

Don't leave us in suspense: were they able to collect their bill?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 24, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grip it and rip it posted:

Don't leave us in suspense: were they able to collect their bill?

HAHA, yeah he sued them

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

blarzgh posted:

lol

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

HAHA, yeah he sued them

I love stories with a happy ending

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Who would win in a lawyer fight: Dog Law or Tree Law?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Bird Law

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horse law is another good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
what would be better: Pegasus law (bird / horse) or griffin law (bird / exotic pet)