Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’m taking it one 12 week season at a time LOL. I think I’m gonna run either C open or B fixed next season. I love the ARCA cars but I think I’m done with the shitshow aspect of each race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
C Open is a 39 week season starting this week, follows the real life truck series on weeks there is a truck race, and some fan favorites the weeks that are off.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

C Open is a 39 week season starting this week, follows the real life truck series on weeks there is a truck race, and some fan favorites the weeks that are off.

So it’s a single 39 week season that doesn’t follow the other 12 week seasons? That sounds fun maybe I’ll run that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Douchebag posted:

So it’s a single 39 week season that doesn’t follow the other 12 week seasons? That sounds fun maybe I’ll run that.

All the 3 main Nascar series' have a version of this, it's a pretty cool thing given it's the only regular series iRacing has all the tracks for.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

njsykora posted:

All the 3 main Nascar series' have a version of this, it's a pretty cool thing given it's the only regular series iRacing has all the tracks for.

It’s not easy to figure out unless you go through the forums to the series pages and actually click on the “series eligible” link to register and get placed in a division. Unless I’m missing something on the main page.

Signed up for C Open season though, I’ll get my Daytona race in today or tomorrow.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

A Open is still 12 week seasons, because of NiS, but otherwise this is correct.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did B open, qualified 5th avoided first big one and then got caught in the second big one.

Still fun as hell when not at Daytona.

Also using the Nascar half length race you rocket up SR cos of how long the races are.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Had my first 0x F3.5 race, felt incredible and a decent result (it was a single split and I came in 7th out of I think 18). I was off the pace of people around me but kept my position up by not giving them any errors to profit from.

If anyone is wanting to branch out into a downforce car I honestly think the 3.5 is a great platform. The grip is predictable, the brakes are fantastic, the racing is close, and the DRS element adds some nice complexity.

e: here's what you can look forward to in 3.5!

https://imgur.com/a/3VfkVhr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 16, 2021

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Do any of you guys buy setups? For me half the fun of the game is actually building the setups but I was just kind of curious if any of you guys buy setups and do they typically work. Just about every race I'm in the chat is filled with web addresses of where to buy setups. I do about 95% of my racing in oval races and the guys in the top splits obviously know how to build setups since the guys that are usually selling their poo poo are .5 sec faster than me but I like finding a little adjustment here and there to pick up a tenth of a second or bring my 10 lap average down by a tenth or something that maybe doesn't make me faster overall but gives me like 7% less tire wear over a run thus making me faster at the end. It does suck on the occasions where I make a split that the strength of field is like 700 points higher than mine and my main goal becomes don't get lapped, but it gives me something to work on too. Like I thought my car was pretty good but obviously it can go faster so time to hit the practice track and find something.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Yo whoever said lowering the brake setting thing even on the Logitech G29 pedals that helped out bigly

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

Do any of you guys buy setups?

I use my free prime sub to subscribe to Craig’s Setup Shop and grab the GTE and GT3 setups off it. They work well enough.

I’d love to get better at tuning, but I imagine it would take dozens of hours of practice/research, on top of getting within a few tenths on a track consistently, which I don’t really have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are allowed to do that again?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

Do any of you guys buy setups?

Nope. If I run an open setup race I usually go with an OSR or MajorsGarage and grab a free one. Majors has free and paid setups too.

Lately the stock iracing setups are pretty good. Good enough to get you going and then tweak a little for comfort. Setups aren’t going to make my skill better but if I feel like I’m lacking something and I know I can get more out of the car I will try one of those 2 sites I mentioned.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

bigbillystyle posted:

Do any of you guys buy setups? For me half the fun of the game is actually building the setups but I was just kind of curious if any of you guys buy setups and do they typically work. Just about every race I'm in the chat is filled with web addresses of where to buy setups. I do about 95% of my racing in oval races and the guys in the top splits obviously know how to build setups since the guys that are usually selling their poo poo are .5 sec faster than me but I like finding a little adjustment here and there to pick up a tenth of a second or bring my 10 lap average down by a tenth or something that maybe doesn't make me faster overall but gives me like 7% less tire wear over a run thus making me faster at the end. It does suck on the occasions where I make a split that the strength of field is like 700 points higher than mine and my main goal becomes don't get lapped, but it gives me something to work on too. Like I thought my car was pretty good but obviously it can go faster so time to hit the practice track and find something.

I use my twitch prime sub for Craig's Setup Shop.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

im a poo poo driver op so I race in fixed series

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I do wish iRacing was better at highlighting the settings on a car that have been changed, and by how much.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Douchebag posted:

Nope. If I run an open setup race I usually go with an OSR or MajorsGarage and grab a free one. Majors has free and paid setups too.

Lately the stock iracing setups are pretty good. Good enough to get you going and then tweak a little for comfort. Setups aren’t going to make my skill better but if I feel like I’m lacking something and I know I can get more out of the car I will try one of those 2 sites I mentioned.

That's basically my road racing guide to setups. The perfect setup isn't going to help me that much because I have a hard enough time getting my braking right and hitting my marks. The best thing I can do is have a comfortable, forgiving setup that I can recover from easily enough after missing my braking point.

I did try the one free site you mentioned, OS Racing, just to try out getting one from somebody else without subjecting myself to begging the top 5 guys in practice to share. Their site has setup builders as well as like open source user submitted setups. I just grabbed one built by an official OS setup builder for whatever the SK race was for that week and it was different than how I had my car setup but I was able to run just about the same lap time, like within the hundredth of a sec. I just get more out of the game working my own stuff I guess. I was just curious if anybody regularly bought setups and did it make you that much faster.

Skim Milk posted:

im a poo poo driver op so I race in fixed series
I actually find that sometimes the open races are little easier to be faster in because you can tweak the car to your driving style rather than have to adapt to the stock set they give you. Plus, as mentioned since the stock setups are actually pretty decent lately it really only takes a couple tweaks to get you going pretty competitively. That's why I don't really get the guys who log into a practice session for a race and just immediately start asking for a setup, especially in rookie series like legends. If you can't get the stock setup mildly competitive than you probably shouldn't be in live races yet anyway, at least in a rookie series.

I totally get if the setup poo poo is not your jam and you just want to jump in higher series and race competitively and not bother with wedge and rebound and getting an extra tenth off your lap time by raising the RR shock collar .5 and all that stuff. I just get annoyed by all the people who jump in and are all, anybody share a setup? Hey guy who's fastest in practice, share your set?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I need the setup that puts the bowling bumper rails on the track so I can get some drat SR

other drivers should still be able to spin out into a wall out of my way

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Hopefully going to go from R->B in one season (if the internet is to be believed). Can’t wait to happily get lapped in bottom split GT3 races like I’m the slowest GTD driver

iRacing 2021: just happy to be here

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

much like the term millenials, “alien” used to have real meaning

what once had a concrete definition, now just means “drivers who are faster than me”

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Can lap skippys around Bathurst in under 4 minutes? Alien.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skim Milk posted:

Hopefully going to go from R->B in one season (if the internet is to be believed). Can’t wait to happily get lapped in bottom split GT3 races like I’m the slowest GTD driver

iRacing 2021: just happy to be here

You can actually go right to A rank in about two weeks, I did this when I started just to get access to some of the cool stuff.

E: not because I'm a great driver but just avoiding contacts.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Skim Milk posted:

Can lap skippys around Bathurst in under 4 minutes? Alien.

LOL I heard someone refer to the faster guys as aliens somewhere, maybe here, thought it was funny and it just stuck with me. You can easily go fro, R to B quickly, if you want to purchase the required cars and tracks and put in the time to meet the MPR and race safe.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

That's basically my road racing guide to setups. The perfect setup isn't going to help me that much because I have a hard enough time getting my braking right and hitting my marks. The best thing I can do is have a comfortable, forgiving setup that I can recover from easily enough after missing my braking point.

I did try the one free site you mentioned, OS Racing, just to try out getting one from somebody else without subjecting myself to begging the top 5 guys in practice to share. Their site has setup builders as well as like open source user submitted setups. I just grabbed one built by an official OS setup builder for whatever the SK race was for that week and it was different than how I had my car setup but I was able to run just about the same lap time, like within the hundredth of a sec. I just get more out of the game working my own stuff I guess. I was just curious if anybody regularly bought setups and did it make you that much faster.

I actually find that sometimes the open races are little easier to be faster in because you can tweak the car to your driving style rather than have to adapt to the stock set they give you. Plus, as mentioned since the stock setups are actually pretty decent lately it really only takes a couple tweaks to get you going pretty competitively. That's why I don't really get the guys who log into a practice session for a race and just immediately start asking for a setup, especially in rookie series like legends. If you can't get the stock setup mildly competitive than you probably shouldn't be in live races yet anyway, at least in a rookie series.

I totally get if the setup poo poo is not your jam and you just want to jump in higher series and race competitively and not bother with wedge and rebound and getting an extra tenth off your lap time by raising the RR shock collar .5 and all that stuff. I just get annoyed by all the people who jump in and are all, anybody share a setup? Hey guy who's fastest in practice, share your set?

The thing about the OSR setups vs the stock iRacing ones are you’re probably getting more longevity from the OSR setups. Now the modifieds don’t really matter, especially on short tracks and the type of tires they have. SK’s are a momentum car so you need to keep the momentum up by getting the car to rotate through the center (something I’m bad at) to keep the speed up.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Skim Milk posted:

Can complete one lap skippys around Bathurst in under 4 minutes? Alien.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Aliens are people like Max Benecke, Josh Rogers, Greger Huttu, the guys who are SO fast you don't know how it even makes sense, so obviously they must be aliens. I think Huttu was the original alien when the term first caught on about 20 years ago :aaa:.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Everyone who is faster than me is an alien.
Everyone who is slower is a scrub and should git gud.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Schorsch posted:

"anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac" - George Carlin

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vando posted:

Aliens are people like Max Benecke, Josh Rogers, Greger Huttu, the guys who are SO fast you don't know how it even makes sense, so obviously they must be aliens. I think Huttu was the original alien when the term first caught on about 20 years ago :aaa:.

Yeah, IIRC alien was coined to describe Huttu back when he ruled GPL with an iron fist.

To me, an alien isn't just someone who's super fast, they're someone who's super fast via a very different driving style than a non-alien would (or, importantly, ever could) have. Josh Rogers and Max Benecke are aliens. Jaime Fluke isn't, despite being almost as quick in the same kinds of cars. Fluke's driving style is basically the same as a non-alien, just much more precise than most people can replicate. A normie can look at Fluke's telemetry and say "ok, I need to brake 5 meters earlier and turn in a little later" or whatever and never have the "haha wtf how is that even possible" reaction you might have to something in Rogers or Benecke's telemetry.

The alien driving style also usually maximally exploits the quirks of sim physics in ways that don't necessarily apply to the real world. Huttu is a great example of this: he once got a test in a real Pro Mazda and was slow as poo poo. Sure, that's probably mostly because he has the ideal goon body (something something peak performance) and lacks the fitness needed to hustle a fast downforce car around Road Atlanta, but I'm willing to bet at least a bit is because the poo poo he does just doesn't work outside the papyrus/iracing physics model.

VelociBacon posted:

"anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac" - George Carlin

I thought of this quote a lot driving to work in the snow all last week.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I always just used it to describe people in any given split that are appreciably faster than the bulk of the cars in that split. I'm not talking a little bit faster, but one or more seconds per lap faster than the next fastest person. With this definition, it adapts to whatever split you find yourself in, and if you're down in lower splits than your skill, you, too, can be an alien.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schorsch posted:

My lap times make it so that everyone in iRacing is an alien.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Theris posted:

The alien driving style also usually maximally exploits the quirks of sim physics in ways that don't necessarily apply to the real world. Huttu is a great example of this: he once got a test in a real Pro Mazda and was slow as poo poo. Sure, that's probably mostly because he has the ideal goon body (something something peak performance) and lacks the fitness needed to hustle a fast downforce car around Road Atlanta, but I'm willing to bet at least a bit is because the poo poo he does just doesn't work outside the papyrus/iracing physics model.

He also went straight from Finland to Atlanta and got sick from the heat and humidity. I don't think he was at his prime.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

y'all doing the bathurst 12 hour?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Skim Milk posted:

Would like to know this too, I hate myself just enough to take part in this.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I can't read good: All I have to do is get an SR of >= 4.0 and do 4 C-class events (going from D to C) to get promoted in season, correct? And then if I get this done in the next two weeks, I just need to end the season with a SR >= 3.0 with the MPR races completed to get bumped to B for next season? Just weighing out if I actually want to grind out some races. I will say that I can reliably finish bottom to mid split D-class races with 0 incident points. I'm one perfect race away from breaking a SR of 4.0. It shouldn't be a problem but I think the second you worry about SR and iRating is the minute you start making dumb mistakes because you're trying too hard to maximize each session and not playing the long game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Going from D to C you need 4 races at D class level and an SR of 3.0 or higher at the end of the season or 4.0 at any other point to be promoted.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

njsykora posted:

Going from D to C you need 4 races at D class level and an SR of 3.0 or higher at the end of the season or 4.0 at any other point to be promoted.

oh, so just go start in the pits and im golden after a race :hellyeah:

thanks everyone :cheers:

also does anyone find that one of the strange appeals of iRacing to be the basic, enterprise software-esque interface? I find it charming

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Skim Milk posted:

It shouldn't be a problem but I think the second you worry about SR and iRating is the minute you start making dumb mistakes because you're trying too hard to maximize each session and not playing the long game.

Aren't you trying to get from rookies to B in like a quarter season?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Theris posted:

Aren't you trying to get from rookies to B in like a quarter season?

shhhhh ;P

I just want to do GT3s at road atlanta when it comes up. ill probably stay in the lower classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Skim Milk posted:

We'll prob have 3 squads at least I would think.