Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

kw0134 posted:

Except all the times it whipsawed between 5 an 10k when it peaked at 20k in 2016ish and only in the last six months it broke 20k again? Want to try again?

I genuinely don't understand what's going on in your head here. I'm a person, on the internet, that made a simple suggestion a few years ago:

"Hey this Crypto thing seems kinda promising, I suggest throwing some play money into it v0v"

Somehow you seem to feel that I am supposed to come to this thread every time the price drops and do what? "Sorry the price dropped, I clearly predicted that it would ONLY go up so i guess I'm owned?" What are you expecting to see, as a post? Here's this volatile thing, it's speculative and highly risky but you might make some money on it. Sincerely, what the gently caress are you expecting here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I genuinely don't understand what's going on in your head here. I'm a person, on the internet, that made a simple suggestion a few years ago:

"Hey this Crypto thing seems kinda promising, I suggest throwing some play money into it v0v"

Somehow you seem to feel that I am supposed to come to this thread every time the price drops and do what? "Sorry the price dropped, I clearly predicted that it would ONLY go up so i guess I'm owned?" What are you expecting to see, as a post? Here's this volatile thing, it's speculative and highly risky but you might make some money on it. Sincerely, what the gently caress are you expecting here?
Because it addresses none of the actual reasons why it's a stupid investment? Here's the basic conversation:

"Bitcoin is a bad investment because it's highly manipulable, is an ecological disaster, violates all the tenets it supposedly champions, is used largely by criminals for unambiguously criminal activity, and is likely to cause losses by people vulnerable to such grandiose promises."

Pretty much every fairweather bitcoin proponent: "price go up, don't you feel stupid now you nocoiner????"

So yes, if you want to address anything else and not slide into the thread, Kramer-like whenever butts reach some arbitrary number, then we'll listen to you as opposed to the magic of finding other idiots to raise the price the post hoc validation of your view because that's the only thing you have.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

kw0134 posted:

Because it addresses none of the actual reasons why it's a stupid investment? Here's the basic conversation:

"Bitcoin is a bad investment because it's highly manipulable, is an ecological disaster, violates all the tenets it supposedly champions, is used largely by criminals for unambiguously criminal activity, and is likely to cause losses by people vulnerable to such grandiose promises."

Pretty much every fairweather bitcoin proponent: "price go up, don't you feel stupid now you nocoiner????"

So yes, if you want to address anything else and not slide into the thread, Kramer-like whenever butts reach some arbitrary number, then we'll listen to you as opposed to the magic of finding other idiots to raise the price the post hoc validation of your view because that's the only thing you have.

I think I asked you a very simple question: During the times that the price of Bitcoin would drop, what were you expecting me to post that would somehow be consistent with this position that this speculative thing might not be completely devoid of moneymaking opportunity? What does saying "Bitcoin may be worth speculating in" obligate me to post when the price drops? I really would like to understand.

The idea that "I'm not posting when the price drops" has nothing to do with what you wrote above, which is somehow convincing you that Bitcoin is a sound investment?

BitvengersAssemble
Feb 21, 2021

by Pragmatica

ZaronYeras posted:

I wish I had you guys confidence that Bitcoin is going to crash, because the true nightmare scenario is if it doesn't crash, and trillions of dollars worth of value is just trapped outside of the productive economy, no one ever spending it, increasing in size every year
You're so close to getting it. So close, and yet so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR94x-OOVNc

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Sincere question: Has it occured to these posters that the number has been going up most of the time SA has had a bitcoin thread?

Waltzing Along posted:

How did ham sandwichs get unbanned?
+

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So what? "Number go up!" is not an answer to anything.
+

kw0134 posted:

Bitcoin is a scam that generates no real economic value and all the money thrown at it is a sunk cost that impoverishes society. The price is irrational, and it's funny you're only here when the price is high and never around when the price is low.

=

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think I asked you a very simple question: During the times that the price of Bitcoin would drop, what were you expecting me to post that would somehow be consistent with this position that this speculative thing might not be completely devoid of moneymaking opportunity? What does saying "Bitcoin may be worth speculating in" obligate me to post when the price drops? I really would like to understand.

The idea that "I'm not posting when the price drops" has nothing to do with what you wrote above, which is somehow convincing you that Bitcoin is a sound investment?
No, you only come in here because "hey price go up!" which is worthless masturbating. I'd prefer, actually, that you don't post at all if that is all you can muster.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

kw0134 posted:

No, you only come in here because "hey price go up!" which is worthless masturbating. I'd prefer, actually, that you don't post at all if that is all you can muster.

I continue to be confused by your refusal to answer my question. What should I have been posting when the price went down? What were the posts that would have made my position more than worthless masturbating? I'm really not getting what you expected to see.

Can you just give me like a blurb of this hypothetical post I would have written when the price drops that would have kept me from being a "hey price go up!" poster which you continue to assert is invalid? Were you looking for a post that said "hey folks, the price is down, I hope it goes back up because the idea here is to make money, good luck everyone" or was it more than that?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So was Star Citizen Seraph's personality-replacement before Buttcoin, or did he have something else he was using to fill the gap where a personality should be in those years?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I continue to be confused by your refusal to answer my question. What should I have been posting when the price went down? What were the posts that would have made my position more than worthless masturbating? I'm really not getting what you expected to see.

Can you just give me like a blurb of this hypothetical post I would have written when the price drops that would have kept me from being a "hey price go up!" poster which you continue to assert is invalid? Were you looking for a post that said "hey folks, the price is down, I hope it goes back up because the idea here is to make money, good luck everyone" or was it more than that?

Bitcoin is a scam and people who participate in it are scammers, true believers (as in, they treat it as a religion), or criminals. If you are not a true believer or a criminal, you're a scammer and fall into one of two categories: the bag holding would-be scammer, or the smart-money scammer that got out early.

I hope this helps you understand why people aren't interested in listening to you. Your position that "hey it might be neat to invest some play money" is a scammer's position.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ZaronYeras posted:

I wish I had you guys confidence that Bitcoin is going to crash, because the true nightmare scenario is if it doesn't crash, and trillions of dollars worth of value is just trapped outside of the productive economy, no one ever spending it, increasing in size every year

I don’t know how to tell you this but that is already happening without Bitcoin poo poo

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

John_A_Tallon posted:

Bitcoin is a scam and people who participate in it are scammers, true believers (as in, they treat it as a religion), or criminals. If you are not a true believer or a criminal, you're a scammer and fall into one of two categories: the bag holding would-be scammer, or the smart-money scammer that got out early.

Ok so what posts, during price drops, if I had made them, would have shown that I was ideologically consistent with my position that Bitcoin was worth speculating in?

I want to understand because I still can't get a straight answer.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok so what posts, during price drops, if I had made them, would have shown that I was ideologically consistent with my position that Bitcoin was worth speculating in?

I want to understand because I still can't get a straight answer.

gently caress off.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Forget it, goons. It's ham sandwiches.

ban me you pussies
Jul 1, 2003

what
Have you guys ever considered that it's people like you who obsessively focus on bitcoin and why it is Bad that are really the weird cultish ones?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
why dont u take bitcoin seriously in the thread for making fun of bitcoin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Treefingers posted:

Have you guys ever considered that it's people like you who obsessively focus on bitcoin and why it is Bad that are really the weird cultish ones?

"We're not a cult! You're a cult!"

- L. Ron Hubbard

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I continue to be confused by your refusal to answer my question.

Bitcoin true believers can't fuckin' read, news at 11

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"We're not a cult! You're a cult!"

- L. Ron Hubbard
WHAT ARE YOURCRIMES.TXT

fusionpit
Sep 8, 2005

Does that make me crazy?
College Slice

Tnuctip posted:

Is the gas/eth consumed by doing a transfer? Or does it exist as a “priority processing” fee by some clearinghouse that has lots of compute power? Asking because I honestly don’t know.

I always thought it was real dumb that you’d have to pay resources to use said resources, for something that was allegedly designed to have reduced transaction costs.

The person that mines the block with your transaction gets the fee. They usually try to include the transactions that have the highest fee, and some people will pay a lot to have their work done first.

Sending eth from one address to another takes 21,000 gas. You get to decide how much eth to spend per point of gas, in one-billionth units of eth called gwei which is dumb as hell. The average cost per gas is 100 of these loving things, so to just send any amount of eth you have to spend 0.0021 of it, which will run you about $4. Even more if you're transferring a token based on the network. Doing anything at all complicated can cost millions of gas.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Jokes on them. Gas is FREE from my rear end

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I simply have the attendant pump it for me at the station.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

why dont u take bitcoin seriously in the thread for making fun of bitcoin
Yeah, the fun's leaving mostly since all of the coinheads are just turning into mindless propaganda machines.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah ngl this thread was less exhausting when it was just laughing at seraph

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
None of them can argue for it competently lol

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
it was a lot less exhausting when it was just laughing at different obvious morons like logansryche, atlas, bruce and dank too

its pretty rich for someone to come in here complaining we've been saying the same thing for 5 years when bitcoin's fundamentals have not changed and will not be changed because the big miners say they cant. of course we're saying the same thing, the only thing that has changed is the price, which makes it harder for btc to ever be accepted as a currency, and not easier. the price of something does not determine its adoption.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ad by Khad posted:

it was a lot less exhausting when it was just laughing at different obvious morons like logansryche, atlas, bruce and dank too

its pretty rich for someone to come in here complaining we've been saying the same thing for 5 years when bitcoin's fundamentals have not changed and will not be changed because the big miners say they cant. of course we're saying the same thing, the only thing that has changed is the price, which makes it harder for btc to ever be accepted as a currency, and not easier. the price of something does not determine its adoption.

In fact it usually does the opposite

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

Thats what made it funny

But i wonder what ever happened to atlas

also the OG bitcoin thread back in the day was fun.

I miss 3 phase who would talk about the technical nerdy aspects of bitcoin and blockchain stuff.

I think it was him who said it was a case of the problem looking for a solution. m

Also the furry who sold all his coins for a car and had the dirty coffee table. I wonder how he is feeling right now.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the nissan he sold his bitcoins at $40 to buy is probably pretty old now

he probably still has the dog dick coffee table though

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ad by Khad posted:

he probably still has the dog dick coffee table though

Does he post in the deviantart thread

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I hate everything about crypto and I sold ~20 btc years ago for a pittance, but I'm mining etherium because it looks like it's just $10-12/day after power costs and that covers most of my vices all at once.

gently caress this awful planet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I hate everything about crypto and I sold ~20 btc years ago for a pittance, but I'm mining etherium because it looks like it's just $10-12/day after power costs and that covers most of my vices all at once.

Hope it crashes before you can sell any of it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Fame Douglas posted:

Hope it crashes before you can sell any of it.

unlikely, move to coinbase to USD nightly. thanks for the thoughts and prayers tho, this burns like 5% the juice my weed operation does and it looks like for the moment it will more or less pay for groceries for 3 people so that's cool. once that stops being true, hopefully that also means silicon is generally available for things that are actually useful or somehow provide value to the world

Ups_rail posted:

Also the furry who sold all his coins for a car and had the dirty coffee table. I wonder how he is feeling right now.

If I somehow hadn't sold out at any point along the way, what I spent on a Nissan alternator would be like a half million dollars now.

I thought crypto was as stupid then as I do now, and I would have sold out at $100 or $500. It would be easy to tilt at, but not any more rational than tilting at having not taken out extra student loans to buy Google at IPO or something. Wasn't the whole point of Back to the Future II that obsessing about that stuff makes you a terrible person?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 22, 2021

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Hash rate is up 30% in like a month, so get some cash while you can, it's unlikely the returns will stay this way as more people jump on for FREE MONEY

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

salt shakeup posted:

Hash rate is up 30% in like a month, so get some cash while you can, it's unlikely the returns will stay this way as more people jump on for FREE MONEY

The nice thing is that if it's anything like 2017 GPU prices stay inflated for a while even after mining profits crash so you can both get all of the good mining times and still sell off your old hardware at wildly inflated prices. I impulse bought two 1080 Tis in March 2017, got about $3k from mining and then sold both for 50% above MSRP around February 2018 after mining profits went to poo poo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is there someone here that can do some critical analysis on Tether Coin? Apparently its 1 to 1 USD, but not?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

no_recall posted:

Is there someone here that can do some critical analysis on Tether Coin? Apparently its 1 to 1 USD, but not?

It stinks

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

no_recall posted:

USD costs 1
USDT costs 1.0007 no 6 wait it's 7 again.

USD is backed by the full faith and credit of the US government or some BS along those lines that we all mostly just agree on.
USDT is backed by 'assets' and no you can't look.

USD comes in green!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

3650 a year sounds like awful small amount to sell out for.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

no_recall posted:

Company issues 40 billion tokens they say each are worth $1. Let’s assume said company only has ~300 million dollars. 300 million divided by 40 billion is the actual worth of a tether token.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
oh hey ham sandwiches is mysteriously back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

gary oldmans diary posted:

oh hey ham sandwiches is mysteriously back

-me walking down the meal deal aisle at sainsbury's