Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is not OSHA compliant.

Working Daze is clearly in marketing.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is basically this thread.

Cul De Sac knows Andre is cool.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mikl posted:

Just for the record, there is no island called Asiago in Italy. There is a city called Asiago, but it's in the north, all the way on the opposite side of the country. (And it lends its name to a pretty good cheese.)

Classic Kevin & Kell (September 27 - October 1, 1999)

Finally, a positive portrayal of sex work on the funny pages.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns I thought that sign said ZATHURA and it took me forever to actually read it.

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sunday!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 4-5, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 31-Jan 3, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby (Apr 5-Apr 12, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

This stupid comic never has a joke. It's just "Baby is talking and father interprets what baby says for reader."

F Minus

Mark Trail

I did not know all marsupial babies are called 'joeys.'

Mary Worth

Like a dog!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward by the Tinkersons guy.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

the way the stomach is drawn :3:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

:yikes:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah Family Circus has been getting more and more dark as time goes on, the parents just look exhausted and the kids just keep looking ungrateful when they're not being precocious/misunderstanding words.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wow Bettwy sure phoned that one in.

I love that Sunday Mark Trails are canonically his youtube videos, so it follows that in the midst of giving his dad the old heart-softening speech he spotted the opossum, whipped out his phone and went "just a sec".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 10th, 1940

Axa

amigolupus posted:

I'm beginning to think that Mark Ten is just too good for Axa. He needs someone who would appreciate his mechanical charms.

For some reason I read that as "mechanical arms" a couple times. I mean, agreed either way though.

Axa, Axa, no, you've done this before, don't assume you're not gonna need that sword.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait, Mark Ten just saved them from the evil tree, where the hell did he go? He just showed up and then immediately hosed off again?

Also I can't wait for Joy Eden to actually want to implant her brain into Axa's body or steal her youth with a machine or something.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I am pretty sure that’s wheat, Axa. Not corn.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

I am pretty sure that’s wheat, Axa. Not corn.

Comic was written by speakers of British English.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Ben's been a decent guy so far, and I don't like how Bernice being a judgmental rear end in a top hat is already giving him the wrong idea about a person he hasn't even met yet. Hopefully he sees through his sister's bullshit and offers Tara a room in his family's home or something.

That would be pretty hilarious considering Bernice got kicked out of the family home to make room for Ben.

Not saying I'm opposed to the idea, mind you.

goatface posted:

Axa lost her loincloth as well now. But [man] kept his skinny jeans.

That loincloth is frankly disgusting and every time I see it I think about how filthy it must be. What this woman needs is some shorts. And some common sense.

Kennel posted:

Cruel Little Stories

I feel like I'm thiiiiiiis close to getting this one but I'm not sure I'm there. Is it as simple as Aunt Aila brought over this gross-rear end bread that nobody asked for anyway and she's just bitching about it the whole time? I am enjoying dad's expression this whole time. He's completely over Aunt Aila's poo poo.

Weembles posted:

It's just a mean version of a PLOP! take or those half-lidded eyes that Hollbrook gives his characters when they deliver their "opps I forgot to tell a joke" punchlines.

If Dustin strips like today's ended with a PLOP! instead of a cringe, I'd like the strip way more.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Comic was written by speakers of British English.

Brits don't know wheat from corn?

Love it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I can't wait for Joy Eden to actually want to implant her brain into Axa's body or steal her youth with a machine or something.

Whaaaat? Bad poo poo happening? In Paradise? Absurd!

Julet Esqu posted:

That loincloth is frankly disgusting and every time I see it I think about how filthy it must be. What this woman needs is some shorts. And some common sense.

Yes, but that would also require her to not rip up all the clothes she's wearing at the slightest of inconveniences. As for wheat/corn, the Brits went a very long time not knowing about maize (from what I understand, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but 'corn' has a long history as a word, but a short one meaning specifically what we think of as corn nowadays, which was a New World plant).

Edit: Actually, here:

wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize#Names posted:

The word "corn" outside the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand refers to any cereal crop, its meaning understood to vary geographically to refer to the local staple.[27][28] In the United States,[27] Canada,[29] Australia, and New Zealand,[30] corn primarily means maize; this usage started as a shortening of "Indian corn".[27] "Indian corn" primarily means maize (the staple grain of indigenous Americans), but can refer more specifically to multicolored "flint corn" used for decoration.[31]

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 24, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

A quick illustration of the 9 Chickweed Lane creator's relationship with his audience.

Oh nonononoono....

Of all the snob virtues displayed by the characters in this strip, you'd think at least one of them would have seen an orthodontist.

Life (With Skippy):Now in Cinemascope! (February 19, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue:

(Frank Hanley)

(Carl Anderson)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 22, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

more that the dominance of american maize has effectively created a brand from what was once a generic term.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

catlord posted:

Whaaaat? Bad poo poo happening? In Paradise? Absurd!

Yes, but that would also require her to not rip up all the clothes she's wearing at the slightest of inconveniences. As for wheat/corn, the Brits went a very long time not knowing about maize (from what I understand, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but 'corn' has a long history as a word, but a short one meaning specifically what we think of as corn nowadays, which was a New World plant).

Edit: Actually, here:

[interesting corn facts]

I feel like the fact that Axa was created 1978 does not jive with historical British Corn-Blindness.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

So I only really started paying attention to Safe Havens halfway through the Mars Trip. I was vaguely aware of the various types of DNA magic going on, and assumed that all that was just one-offs to generate the various main characters, and the public face of the genetics lab was mostly normal.

But then there was that Welcome Sign, and this...thing.

Do they just make creatures like this all the time when they're not travelling to Mars?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i really, really like junk drawer.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I feel like the fact that Axa was created 1978 does not jive with historical British Corn-Blindness.

Oh no, British Corn-Blindness was only solved in 1990 after several advances in medical technology.

Actually, more seriously, I have no idea where Axa is supposed to be set. I assumed in Britain since it's you know, British, but The Gambler made me question that a bit.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

I feel like I'm thiiiiiiis close to getting this one but I'm not sure I'm there. Is it as simple as Aunt Aila brought over this gross-rear end bread that nobody asked for anyway and she's just bitching about it the whole time? I am enjoying dad's expression this whole time. He's completely over Aunt Aila's poo poo.

That's pretty much how I read it, but it's one of those where I'm left wondering if I missed something.

I guess it's mildly humorous to see aunt bringing a status gift that nobody really wanted, while mom tries to play a good host and rest of the family doesn't really give poo poo and this is clearly a situation that has happened before.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

maltesh posted:

So I only really started paying attention to Safe Havens halfway through the Mars Trip. I was vaguely aware of the various types of DNA magic going on, and assumed that all that was just one-offs to generate the various main characters, and the public face of the genetics lab was mostly normal.

But then there was that Welcome Sign, and this...thing.

Do they just make creatures like this all the time when they're not travelling to Mars?

Oh, you sweet, summer child. Everything is DNA magic.
The big ear guy? Was a mouse.
The Blonde was ....a.....cat? whose parents was a dog and a..... gently caress, I don't remember now.

The Black/white cat was a human lady for a while, but decided to go back to being a cat.

Someone's child is a Plant/human combo, and is green. There are also Mermaids on Earth (who turned out to be the descendants of shape shifters from Mars.)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"Corn? Well I won't need this anymore!" *throws away sword*

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maltesh posted:

So I only really started paying attention to Safe Havens halfway through the Mars Trip.

This seems like a good point to remind everyone that Safe Havens began in 1988 as a strip about preschoolers at a day care center.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Powered Descent posted:

This seems like a good point to remind everyone that Safe Havens began in 1988 as a strip about preschoolers at a day care center.

1988?! :kstare:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I am 100% gonna regret asking this, but what on earth was that like? Because this has come up a few times but I don't think we've ever seen those early ones. How did it end up being... this?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/magazine/garfield-twitter.html

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

catlord posted:

I am 100% gonna regret asking this, but what on earth was that like? Because this has come up a few times but I don't think we've ever seen those early ones. How did it end up being... this?
I presume the cast grew up roughly in real-time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

They are gods, gods I tell you! They have cracked the secret of the gene and the atom and the particles between space and time to become more than human, and they insult us by walking among us and pretending to be us still when they could be making the world a better place or doing anything at all!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

catlord posted:

I have no recollection of actually reading it, and the only reason I remember it is that Opus mentioned it by name as "the strip that's taking over this space on Monday" a day or two before Bloom County ended. (At least it was the strip named by Opus in my local paper, other markets may have written in whatever comic was actually doing so there.)

e: Looks like it was actually my local paper that did the writing in, the official version says Bettle Bailey:

Bloom County August 4, 1989

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 22, 2021

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 8, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 19, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 3, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 28, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 28, 1935)

Dark Laughter (November 29, 1941)

“An’ why you always wait until you gets to the winder before you remember you forgot your wallet?”

Mopsy Sunday (August 31, 1947)

Those Were the Days (September 27, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 19, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 19, 1965)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
god, the sally forth dialogue gets on my drat nerves