Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If it was Karen Traviss, nothing would surprise me. She also got run off from the old Star Wars EU (And I think Halo’s books as well?) for all sorts of insane poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao at telling some brosephs high-fiving over their cool super-soldiers actually did you know it's canon that all the Gears marines are pedophiles?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The GoW games are also massively uncritically fascist. To the extent that I think they made the villains subterranean locust monsters just to give the humans a justification for screaming about unclean filth who want to tear down and destroy our pure and noble society.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah, the Starship Troopers conceit.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

My favorite little thing in games is when I can play them and know that there aren't rape camps in the fiction.

To try to get things off that subject, my favorite thing in Total War: Warhammer is how every unit has a banner floating above them for visibility and clicking on. Anyways, the banner is over a specific model within the unit, so if you've got two dozen knights, there's a particular knight in the center of the formation that the banner's floating above. But if that knight gets stuck by a bunch of goblins while I order a retreat, I can see the unit moving away while the banner is stuck on the dumbass who can't figure out how to get away from the enemy. And then when he dies from all the goblins stabbing him, the banner goes VWOOOP{ and goes sailing across the map to catch up with the model it's now tied to.

But what I love is how this works with undead enemies. Units in Total War have morale, a bar that, if it hits zero, they run away out of the player's control. Undead don't do that—when they run out of leadership, they just fall apart and die. What makes this really funny is that there's a mechanism for when the battle gets really lopsided and victory is guaranteed where the losing side takes a massive penalty to leadership and their morale rapidly drains as the army's routed. Very convenient, saves time, but with undead, it means that all of a sudden, all the skeletons and zombies disintegrate, no matter how much HP or units they had. So the banner does a little dance as it zips from model to model as they disintegrate, one by one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Precambrian posted:

My favorite little thing in games is when I can play them and know that there aren't rape camps in the fiction.

To try to get things off that subject, my favorite thing in Total War: Warhammer is how every unit has a banner floating above them for visibility and clicking on. Anyways, the banner is over a specific model within the unit, so if you've got two dozen knights, there's a particular knight in the center of the formation that the banner's floating above. But if that knight gets stuck by a bunch of goblins while I order a retreat, I can see the unit moving away while the banner is stuck on the dumbass who can't figure out how to get away from the enemy. And then when he dies from all the goblins stabbing him, the banner goes VWOOOP{ and goes sailing across the map to catch up with the model it's now tied to.

But what I love is how this works with undead enemies. Units in Total War have morale, a bar that, if it hits zero, they run away out of the player's control. Undead don't do that—when they run out of leadership, they just fall apart and die. What makes this really funny is that there's a mechanism for when the battle gets really lopsided and victory is guaranteed where the losing side takes a massive penalty to leadership and their morale rapidly drains as the army's routed. Very convenient, saves time, but with undead, it means that all of a sudden, all the skeletons and zombies disintegrate, no matter how much HP or units they had. So the banner does a little dance as it zips from model to model as they disintegrate, one by one.

I have bad news for you about Warhammer Fantasy, if you ever wondered what that 'defile captives' button for Beastmen means. Skaven do it in the fluff, too.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There has to be a better place to thrash out the grimy details of pedo/rape camps in various IPs than the "PYF little things in games" thread. C'mon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

I have bad news for you about Warhammer Fantasy, if you ever wondered what that 'defile captives' button for Beastmen means. Skaven do it in the fluff, too.

They're gone now but the Fimir kidnapped and raped humans to reproduce

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Fimir

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

There has to be a better place to thrash out the grimy details of pedo/rape camps in various IPs than the "PYF little things in games" thread. C'mon.

:yeah:

As for actual content, in Warship Gunner 2 you fight a bunch of colossal naval superweapons. They start out in-story as these terrifyingly powerful weapons of war, with the protagonists saying things like "I don't know how we'll beat it, but we have to try!" And towards the end, it's much more "Hey another superweapon just annihilated the Third Fleet. Welp, guess it's time for us to do what we do best." In particular, at one point, the Captain says:

quote:

You know exactly what we gonna do
and it's just :allears: for the sheer blaise attitude and the typo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is a weird rear end thing to be your favorite little thing in video games

In Stellaris there is the spiritualist fallen empire which has this annoying mechanic: 3-4 gaia planets will spawn around them, and they claim them as holy sites. If you colonize them they tell you to gently caress off and if you don't they attack you. Now if you were to say, have a planet cracker and blow it up and be a devouring swarm you can laugh at them (then they declare a holy war)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like in Soul Calibur all the side stories that weren't a part of the main story that just got on an adventure and are like "Oh well I failed" and go home.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's been a while but aren't cogs the invading force anyways? Like they went to a new planet to strip it for resources and the locusts were already there?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

fartknocker posted:

If it was Karen Traviss, nothing would surprise me. She also got run off from the old Star Wars EU (And I think Halo’s books as well?) for all sorts of insane poo poo...

How loving bad does a writer have to be to get ran out of the Star Wars EU? :psyduck: Jesus Christ.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like in Soul Calibur all the side stories that weren't a part of the main story that just got on an adventure and are like "Oh well I failed" and go home.

They put in the effort at least. You gotta give 'em props for at least trying.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The GoW games are also massively uncritically fascist. To the extent that I think they made the villains subterranean locust monsters just to give the humans a justification for screaming about unclean filth who want to tear down and destroy our pure and noble society.

It's sort of the same thing Halo has going on, where the faction you're aligned with is essentially fascism. And where Gears of War has the outcasts living in opposition to the CoG you also have the Insurrectionists in Halo rebelling against the UNSC only for both conflicts to be immediately shunted to the side in the face of an overwhelming existential thread so that by the time you actually jump into the story it's Not The Time to be critical.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the little audio crescendo as you hit more and more pegs in one shot in Peggle still makes me smile a whole bunch

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hydrophobia: Prophecy is a dull, forgettable third-person shooter, except for one detail. You play as a woman, her outfit is practical, there's not a hint of sexualization about her, and no one in any way comments on it being unusual that Kate is a skilled engineer, athlete, and handy with a pistol.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vandar posted:

How loving bad does a writer have to be to get ran out of the Star Wars EU? :psyduck: Jesus Christ.

Phone posting so I can search it, but there were some effort posts and links in the old Star Wars books thread. Basically, she loved her pet Mandalorians and hated the Jedi. I’m pretty sure she had some line in an interview about how all Force users were really the bad guys of ever story, how the Jedi were “unelected elitists”, that “Order 66 was overdue” and the only ones she didn’t want to see instantly die forever were the ones she created, who of course loved the Mandalorians (Or rather, her version of them) and respected them with their invincible armor and best starfighters and best warriors and all that. She also got into slap fights with Troy Denning during the post-New Jedi Order crap that was going on, where things got stupidly dark for no reason (Horribly torturing and killing characters created by others). IIRC, other than maybe the creation of Beskar armor and a few very minor things, most of her ideas later got totally replaced by stuff from Clone Wars, Rebels, and the show The Mandalorian.

She did the novelizations based on the Republic Commando game, and the first few of those books are actually okay cause she hadn’t gone fully insane. To spin things back to this thread, that game was full of cool little things, like the HUD and view on the screen clearly being from a Clone’s helmet, and rain/debris/alien blood splattering on it and getting to be wiped off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

It wasn't the quality but the fact that she refused to play along with a shared series. Also she would organize harassment of other authors that she didn't like.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My favorite part of fighting games are what I call the 'Meanwhile' characters. The guys that are in the roster to flesh it out, but have no real connection to the main plot for this game, so they've just got some weird side story going on. I feel like Soul Calibur has the best ones, probably because the main story itself is so singularly focused and just doesn't check in on most of its characters.

'Soul Edge and Soul Calibur are now in open warfare because of an ancient Egyptian sorceror. Meanwhile, there's a vampire somewhere in France.'

'Soul Edge has been shattered into countless pieces and spread across the world. Meanwhile, a man with a mace accidentally discovers America.'

'Soul Edge's previous owner wrests control of his body from the sword, and goes on a quest to finally destroy it. Meanwhile, a lizardman.'

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

christmas boots posted:

It's sort of the same thing Halo has going on, where the faction you're aligned with is essentially fascism. And where Gears of War has the outcasts living in opposition to the CoG you also have the Insurrectionists in Halo rebelling against the UNSC only for both conflicts to be immediately shunted to the side in the face of an overwhelming existential thread so that by the time you actually jump into the story it's Not The Time to be critical.

With Halo I think you have to be really looking to see how awful the UNSC is with the kidnappings and the child experiments, and the games don't linger on it.

Going off what I can remember, in the Gears series you are always playing as Gears, sure, but almost all the protagonists hate the CoG--they are members because they are forced into it or the alternative is somehow worse or they're someone naive like Carmine. Fenix is imprisoned by the CoG at the start of the first game and pressed back into service to save mankind. The chip on Baird's shoulder in part comes from being demoted for not doing a war crime. I don't think anyone in the games ever has anything actually positive to say about the CoG, and that's before they learn the CoG started the whole war with the Locust.

What I'm saying is that Gears of War may not be "critical" of fascism, but it never makes the fascist CoG look "good" in game; meanwhile you might mistake Halo's UNSC for being legit cool and good going off what's in game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seung Mina and Hwoarang gotta hold the record for the longest lived canonically useless characters to keep appearing in Soul Calibur.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

My favorite part of fighting games are what I call the 'Meanwhile' characters. The guys that are in the roster to flesh it out, but have no real connection to the main plot for this game, so they've just got some weird side story going on.

What is 'Tina, Mila, and Bass in Dead or Alive'?

An intricate plot involving ninjas and evil corporations and clones!...and here's a couple of wrestlers off to the side doing their own thing.

(Incidentally they + Mariposa are the best DoA characters. :colbert:)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

exquisite tea posted:

Seung Mina and Hwoarang gotta hold the record for the longest lived canonically useless characters to keep appearing in Soul Calibur.

Nope, because the actual winner of that is Voldo! He has appeared in every single game, but failed to meet the main story and cast members in all of them but one (Soul Calibur V). Outside of that, the closest he ever got was stealing Yoshimitsu's sword.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite never really being a part of the main story, Voldo was able to contribute to the Soul Calibur mythology in more important ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGjSll2_Uc

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

It's been a while but aren't cogs the invading force anyways? Like they went to a new planet to strip it for resources and the locusts were already there?

I've only played 5 but in that there was an evil mad scientist who did SCIENCE!!! to orphans until he got the Locust. There might have been a creepy psychic child in there somewhere too idk

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Feb 22, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fartknocker posted:

She did the novelizations based on the Republic Commando game, and the first few of those books are actually okay cause she hadn’t gone fully insane. To spin things back to this thread, that game was full of cool little things, like the HUD and view on the screen clearly being from a Clone’s helmet, and rain/debris/alien blood splattering on it and getting to be wiped off.

Reminded me of Metroid Prime and how explosions in dark areas like underwater would cause your face to reflect on the inside of your visor, and how the weapon selection was a series of hand signs she would make inside the canon arm. Love when the UI and HUD is actually integrated into the game world.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cythereal posted:

Looking at the bonuses, I'm pretty sure they mean defiling altars instead.

"Raze & Defile - razes settlement and erects a Herdstone which gives +100 Chaos Corruption and +8 Horde Growth."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Reminded me of Metroid Prime and how explosions in dark areas like underwater would cause your face to reflect on the inside of your visor, and how the weapon selection was a series of hand signs she would make inside the canon arm. Love when the UI and HUD is actually integrated into the game world.

If you look with the X-Ray visor she's physically doing those gestures too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man those games were so good at neat little details, especially for starting in the GC era. Hopefully that will continue in MP4, which definitely exists and will come out within our lifetimes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you look with the X-Ray visor she's physically doing those gestures too.

These things didn't retain in the Metroid Prime Trilogy release, because it turns out all the graphical effects around Samus' arm cannon were 2D textures since the cannon itself never moved. So none of the hand gestures in the X-ray visor, or the charge graphics for the different beams, could actually be retained with the Prime 3 pointer controls.

That's technically a negative, but it just highlights a really impressive approach that I never would've thought of.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Man those games were so good at neat little details, especially for starting in the GC era. Hopefully that will continue in MP4, which definitely exists and will come out within our lifetimes.

Prime 4 does exist, it's just the timeline looks bad if you've missed a few of the dev details; Nintendo tried to make it themselves at first, decided "Well this isn't fun at all" and binned their effort before turning the job over to Retro and resetting the clock on development. Most games you're hearing about at their big announcement have been cooking for at least two years from conception, and Retro Studios were only handed the job at the start of 2019. Factor in the past year, and we probably won't see anything that can be even shown off until 2022 at the earliest. Maybe E32021 or end of this year if we're lucky.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Prime 4 does exist, it's just the timeline looks bad if you've missed a few of the dev details; Nintendo tried to make it themselves at first, decided "Well this isn't fun at all" and binned their effort before turning the job over to Retro and resetting the clock on development. Most games you're hearing about at their big announcement have been cooking for at least two years from conception, and Retro Studios were only handed the job at the start of 2019. Factor in the past year, and we probably won't see anything that can be even shown off until 2022 at the earliest. Maybe E32021 or end of this year if we're lucky.

Yeah, I know it exists but it just feels like a cursed project, one of those things that I won't completely believe in until it hits release day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC Nintendo tried to make MP4 with a decentralised team and predictably it wasn't working out to their standards, so they were up front about binning it and giving it to Retro. They're making an effort to assuage a fanbase who are used to Nintendo abandoning stuff that isn't Mario or Zelda.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My favorite thing about the original Metroid Prime was how well the different areas were designed and how there was a constant thrill of discovery. It was always exciting when you pushed through a path and suddenly discover a new part of a previous area. The way that each of the subsequent games moved away from that was a bummer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite little thing in every VR game that has finger tracking

Thats right I broke your window and stole your poo poo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Theif simulator is dope as hell I can't believe the best thieving game since thief is this janky rear end game, but you know what I'll take it and your TV.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The main problem with most versions of Half Life: Alyx is that you have to abuse environment interactions to let you successfully flip people off, also nobody cares when you successfully pull it off

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the enemy types in NieR Automata is a headless screaming suicide bomber. I really want to know who on the devs played Serious Sam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the enemy types in NieR Automata is a headless screaming suicide bomber. I really want to know who on the devs played Serious Sam.

In fairness, 'headless screaming suicide bomber' is so Yoko Taro that I'm willing to believe it was just a case of parallel invention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gears 5 has a subplot about the breeding program and new parents day parties but it doesn't go into more details than "absolutely nobody you play as is pro this program" and its wrong. drat shame the story is poo poo and didn't take the free out of 4+5 to turn the conflict into primarily human v human fighting so you can kill the CoG and instead settled into the same ol bullshit.