Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is everyone going PC? I reinstalled on PC but can also do PS4, maybe I'll do both with different builds, I loving Love Ds2 have ever since the network test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

thinking about finally doing the power-stanced orange and blue smelter sword run

might try for a muscle wizard build if the stat requirements for the swords don't eat up all my levels

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cnidaria posted:

thinking about finally doing the power-stanced orange and blue smelter sword run

might try for a muscle wizard build if the stat requirements for the swords don't eat up all my levels
they will

but it's really fun, so

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yooo maybe I'll do my fisticuffs run sooner than expected.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

John Murdoch posted:

Yooo maybe I'll do my fisticuffs run sooner than expected.

i did a vanquisher's seal run of sotfs not too long ago and it felt really good, especially when i got invaded

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I know my wording was ambiguous but Vanquisher's Seal doesn't allow you to drop kick. :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

gently caress yes

I'd also been considering a punchmans build, guess I'll be starting it sooner than I thought

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Time to pull out pates spear again and learn some people the importance of spacing

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i'm going to be doing some complicated SL1 type strats to get Vengarl's armor first thing and then absolutely beefing it every time an invader shows up

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
ds2 doesnt use soul level matchmaking, it has soul memory. You'll want to bee-line the Agape Ring from Straid. route is Heide, No-man's Wharf, grabbing the Fragrant Branch, to Lost Bastille, while killing as little as possible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
enjoy the undead vikings just sometimes walking off the edge when you're in wharf for that btw

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's really not an issue, you're not allowed to get the Agape ring until you have 30k souls, so you want to freeze your SM at just under 40k. You have several thousand souls worth of room until 40k by the time you get to Straid so a few hundred from enemy suicides aren't gonna put you over. Just don't die and lose your bloodstain.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Reality Protester posted:

ds2 doesnt use soul level matchmaking, it has soul memory. You'll want to bee-line the Agape Ring from Straid. route is Heide, No-man's Wharf, grabbing the Fragrant Branch, to Lost Bastille, while killing as little as possible.

i mean what i said :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Absolute lmao if you don't simply start a new character every time the bell covenant invasions start to trickle out

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
We could all not wear the agape ring and then we'd always have huge matching soul levels. Millons and billions of souls.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Rip and tear your souls! You are huge! That means you have huge souls!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

starts tomorrow, skeleton

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is it a common thing at all for someone to drop a bunch of items for you after invading and killing you? It happened to me and I thought it was kind of cool.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't know how common it is but it definitely happens. I've had it happen a few times

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I've had it happen after like, 4 invasions by the same dude.

I also had an invasion by Santa Claus but there was no actual fighting in that one.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
OK, I wanna return to Drangleic. I'm on PC.
Are we doing OG DS2 or SotFS?
What else do I need to do to make jolly co-op possible? I played DS2 many years ago, and really don't even understand how multiplayer works.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

betterinsodapop posted:

What else do I need to do to make jolly co-op possible? I played DS2 many years ago, and really don't even understand how multiplayer works.

SOTFS will probably be more populated.

Stay human as much as possible in order to summon people. Get the white soapstone and/or small white soapstone from Forest of Fallen Giants in order to place signs so others can summon you. White soapstone is from talking to Pate near the ballista trap room, small white soapstone is in a chest above the Cardinal Tower bonfire. Whenever you kill a boss, go to a bonfire and select “nullify human effigy’s effect” to leave yourself open to invasions (don’t do this if you’d rather not be invaded).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

betterinsodapop posted:

SOTFS recommended, says so in the picture.

There's two soapstones in DS2, normal and small. You get the normal one from this guy Pate in the first level, Forest of the Fallen Giants. He's not very hard to find, just run around. Just talk to him, run through the gate, get back to him, boom. The small soapstone comes from the vendor lady you find at the bonfire cathedral or whatever in the same level. She just sells it to you for some souls. oops yeah its in a chest above that room where she is

You just hit "use" on it to use it. Puts a mark on the ground. The marks appear in someone else's game, they walk on it and press "use" and you get summoned to their game. Normal soapstone has you run around with them until you and them kill the boss, or until you or they die. Small soapstone has you run around for a limited amount of time, I think it's based on stuff you kill. Maybe.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
hrmmm im considering making a character for this but I've never touched DS2 before. I dunno a thing about its mechanics. I own SOTFS on ps5

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

g-c posted:

hrmmm im considering making a character for this but I've never touched DS2 before. I dunno a thing about its mechanics. I own SOTFS on ps5

Have you played the other dark souls games? It's virtually identical.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

With a few very important differences/exceptions. The big one being that your first 20 levels should go into ADP, because it increases your AGI, which determines how many iframes you have when rolling as well as how quickly you sip your Hi-C

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

SHISHKABOB posted:

yea I just beat DS1 and have been replaying DS3. I thought I read that this game was a whole lot more obscure with some things and stats can be weird

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

With a few very important differences/exceptions. The big one being that your first 20 levels should go into ADP, because it increases your AGI, which determines how many iframes you have when rolling as well as how quickly you sip your Hi-C
see ^

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Also matchmaking tiers are based off of your soul memory, which is a permanent record of how many souls you’ve collected, rather than your character level.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This kind of stuff shouldn't impede you from just playing a video game.

Run around and hit stuff with your sword, bro.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Overall I’d say ds 2 is a little more accessible than ds1. The upgrade system is simpler and you can teleport between bonfires from the start. If you have experience from the first game you should be fine.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

g-c posted:

yea I just beat DS1 and have been replaying DS3. I thought I read that this game was a whole lot more obscure with some things and stats can be weird

see ^

the similarities way outweigh the differences. It's really only one or two things like the ADP thing and soul memory that make any noticeable difference.

The cool differences make DS2 better than the other games in some way. Like powerstancing, which owns

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
DS1 in 2021 wasn't the best time I've had in video games. everything feels so heavy and I really hated how it was mid game before you could warp between bonfires ... and the slog runs to boss gates if you died was excruciating. im down to join in on the fun though but I feel like doing the entire game cooperatively so this is good timing I suppose

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
What's a fun build? I used dual caestus last time which was fun, but switched to dual maces late game. Usually I go dex because I like to be fast.

Maybe some of those curved swords?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Item Getter posted:

Is it a common thing at all for someone to drop a bunch of items for you after invading and killing you? It happened to me and I thought it was kind of cool.

I afk'd at one point for an hour and when I came back not only was I still alive, but invaders had dropped hundreds of prism stones in Drangleic's basement and a full set of Ruin Sentinel armor for me

Thanks friends

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

What's a fun build? I used dual caestus last time which was fun, but switched to dual maces late game. Usually I go dex because I like to be fast.

Rapier/katana

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

Warped Sword powerstanced with Washing Pole offhand

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

g-c posted:

DS1 in 2021 wasn't the best time I've had in video games. everything feels so heavy and I really hated how it was mid game before you could warp between bonfires ... and the slog runs to boss gates if you died was excruciating. im down to join in on the fun though but I feel like doing the entire game cooperatively so this is good timing I suppose

DS2 is extremely generous with bonfires, shortcuts, and homeward bones. You can warp between bonfires immediately (and kinda have to by design since you have to level up at Majula)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Oscar Wild posted:

Powerstancing whips. Notched for bleed, spotted for poison, offhand a shortbow with poison arrows. Ruin those corny spellcasters and parry spammers in pvp. Combining bleed with poison and mid-long range damage is hilarious in pvp. Poison lets you deal with havels sets pretty well as well

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

How Rude posted:

Powerstancing whips. Notched for bleed, spotted for poison, offhand a shortbow with poison arrows. Ruin those corny spellcasters and parry spammers in pvp. Combining bleed with poison and mid-long range damage is hilarious in pvp. Poison lets you deal with havels sets pretty well as well

Nb, pack repair powder or the durability increasing ring if you do this. whips are pretty good but they break easy because of their weird hit boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

How Rude posted:

I forget - how well does poison/bleed work on the PVE side of things? Is it like DS3 where a lot of enemies you'd want to bleed / poison are immune or so resistant as to practically be so?

Thinking of doing a Dex-y powerstancing build. Whips and/or Thief Knives or rapiers or the like.