Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Smythe posted:

also 80% of chars end up wearing a mask helmet or a shako which always look insanely stupid.

I love my goofy green hat!

But yeah the only place this is gonna matter is on the character select screen. The only one I kinda like is the barb cause now he just looks like the thickest lad from the pub.

Edit: Terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Y'all mad about the barbarian should look up weightlifting videos of lasha talakhadze. He's the best at it and looks exactly what you should expect a really strong super heavy weight to look like.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Y'all mad about the barbarian should look up weightlifting videos of lasha talakhadze. He's the best at it and looks exactly what you should expect a really strong super heavy weight to look like.

I don't think anyone is mad about the barbarian. That being said, this is a fantasy game and the barbs design is clearly trying to emulate minsc and conan and not real life powerlifters

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

i think theyre mostly qqing about how they jacked up the amazons insane og boobers & bod, + face & beautiful blonde hair perfectly ponytailed as if to weave through the back of a snapback like our nascar gfs do. which is fair but is also based on being thirsty for a low poly video game character which is questionable to say the least. IMO of course.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Smythe posted:

i think theyre mostly qqing about how they jacked up the amazons insane og boobers & bod, + face & beautiful blonde hair perfectly ponytailed as if to weave through the back of a snapback like our nascar gfs do. which is fair but is also based on being thirsty for a low poly video game character which is questionable to say the least. IMO of course.

All the demon blood splattering about will just ruin any amount of makeup so why bother?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Mustached Demon posted:

The barbarian can wield two massive two handed weapons, one in each hand. Can leap dozens of feet in the air, and can turn into a whirlwind tornado. He is literally the pinnacle of strength and conditioning.

I don't even really care that much, but now I'm embedded in this argument because this is a fantasy game and people are bringing in some real life example of why a barbarian shouldn't be loving jacked.

The Diablo-pedia says "The Children of Bul-Kathos have developed a kinship with the land and have learned to harness the primal energies within nature to enhance their own substantial physical prowess."

So they aren't normal humans that have no magic and just hit hard. They are super human!

Also, he needs muscles because:
1) It was that way in the original.
2) It adheres to the Barbarian Hero archetype, which is clearly what they are going for.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

The character silhouettes look a lot less distinct and the little details they threw in don't help much. They'll probably look cool in cutscenes or w/e but in the game the more cartoony original designs make a lot more sense to me in a game like diablo where you're zoomed way out

Mustached Demon posted:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Has there been any talk of instanced loot? I don't want to click fight on Baals corpse anymore and multiplayer was always more fun even if chaotic.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Hosting a new D2 Eastern Sun server to give me something to do with all this hype. Can post details if there's interest or join the goons.cx discord I guess. http://discord.gg/goonscx

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

barge posted:

The character silhouettes look a lot less distinct and the little details they threw in don't help much. They'll probably look cool in cutscenes or w/e but in the game the more cartoony original designs make a lot more sense to me in a game like diablo where you're zoomed way out

I was thinking about bringing up Mattie Rogers as a comparison to the Amazon. Olympic level weightlifting is a wild ride of people with enormous legs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

barge posted:

this brings up a good point, why isn't there a unitard or singlet for the barbarian to wear

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Jimbot posted:

Looks great, in my opinion. The only thing that I didn't care for were the animations. They're the same as the original's but mapped on a 3D model and they don't look as good. There's no weight or power behind them. But that's my only gripe.

The Paladin cast animation stood out to me. He is casting blessed hammer in one of the reveals, and the OG animation literally goes like 25% farther. He holds his sword above his head so it's 0 degrees on the X axis. The new animation stops short, doesn't hold the sword as far above his head, and it looks weaker and less cool and less good. Why would you do this?!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this is a side question but did anyone ever give a rats rear end about the d3 story? seems like everybody knew the d1->d2 story kuz it was epic as gently caress, but nobody i know knows the d3 story or cares. maybe thats just me showing my age. idk

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Smythe posted:

this is a side question but did anyone ever give a rats rear end about the d3 story? seems like everybody knew the d1->d2 story kuz it was epic as gently caress, but nobody i know knows the d3 story or cares. maybe thats just me showing my age. idk

The d1-2 story was pretty good, but the d3 story is impressively bad. The only thing that's more impressive is how they somehow managed to top themselves with the legacy of the void epilogue.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mymla posted:

The d1-2 story was pretty good, but the d3 story is impressively bad. The only thing that's more impressive is how they somehow managed to top themselves with the legacy of the void epilogue.

dont get me started on starcraft lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the D3 story was complete poo poo and reworking the game to allow people to ignore it completely was maybe the best thing that was ever done to that game

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mymla posted:

I think D3’s story is actually...ok. The problem for me is the delivery. The actual plot on paper is fine and I thought the idea of a feminine Diablo was kinda cool. But the way the story is told is some lame scooby doo bullshit. The greatest devils and demons in the world literally popping up and taunting you like children while you’re just trouncing everything thrown at you. Azmodan is particularly bad in this regard.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Smythe posted:

Cain dies

The girl turns into Amazon Prime Diablo and it has boobs with mouths because it's the 3 diablo bosses combined and those extra mouths have to go somewhere buddy.

Also Tyrael is black

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Death by butterflies.

I hated the story, setting, and tone of Diablo 3 so much, but what I hated the most was all of the insane retcons.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Doc Walrus posted:

I can find Diablo 2 on their lovely shop app but not the expansion. Are they trying to remove it until the remake comes out?

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I liked Shen and the banter, that was about it.

Back with OG Diablo III, being forced through the story multiple times, each with different characters made it suck more and more.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Smythe posted:

Diablo 3: Diablo comes back and sacks heaven. The end.

Reaper: attack and dethrone death but it's way less cool than you think.

Ignore everything else about it because it's bad and D4 probably shelves next to all the trash tier star wars expanded universe books.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guys, going forward, D3 didn't exist. It didn't happen.

I mean, gently caress the story, how sad is it the acts followed the exact same pattern as D2. Grass/regular town->desert->I dont even remember what a3 was in d3->oOoOoO~~its heaven instead of hell this time->snow. gently caress that poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I know the d3 story better than poe at least. I can't be bothered to even try with that poo poo and question why I'm fighting curtains. I only really did the campaign at launch and can't remember much anymore, thankfully.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

I know the d3 story better than poe at least. I can't be bothered to even try with that poo poo and question why I'm fighting curtains. I only really did the campaign at launch and can't remember much anymore, thankfully.

POE you start killing things after you are exiled to Australia and you kill too many things and it causes a power vacuum that enables the gods to manifest again then you kill them too. Then you go into maps and anger the people in there and they blow up the place you just saved.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smythe posted:

I don't know what it was about D3 that made me bounce so hard off it. I have probably put uh... uncountable thousands of hours into D1 and 2 but have never finished a playthrough of 3 once. When it first came out I think I got to the fourth act before I stopped, then I tried again recently since so many people said they'd fixed the game and I didn't get out of the first act.

It may be weird but part of it was the numbers. Getting a sword with 2-12 damage then upgrading to 3-18 feels like it matters. Going from 4568 damage to 4967 damage against a skeleton with 23,857 hit points doesn't matter. And there's no character customization, as far as I remember? Stats and items in D3 felt meaningless, and if stats and items don't matter in Diablo then uh... yeah.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

D3 gets some major kudos for the Act 3 Azmodan cinematic. I thought that whole one was supremely clever and good. But considering how he acts in the following... act, it felt like the cinematic team didn't know what the actual dev team was doing and were working on different drafts of the script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PkwugiJwQ

Cinematic in question.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
This thread is going to be moving to Retro Games.

When one of you decides to make the OP for D2 Resurrected, please feel free to put in the main Games subforum. :)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

POE story is actually pretty good. Better than D2's, but not by much.

There's basically a 0% chance of D4's story being good, though, because there's like nothing to work with after D3. If they retcon D3, it could be good. If they just ignore everything that happened in D3 and just focus on different characters, it could be good.

But they won't, they'll make up some terrible excuse for shoehorning in Diablo again, because you can't have a diablo game without diablo.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Jimbot posted:

D3 gets some major kudos for the Act 3 Azmodan cinematic. I thought that whole one was supremely clever and good. But considering how he acts in the following... act, it felt like the cinematic team didn't know what the actual dev team was doing and were working on different drafts of the script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PkwugiJwQ

Cinematic in question.

I actually kind of liked Azmodan because for being the supposed strategic mastermind of Hell he had no clue on how to actually deal with the Nephilim. "So you stopped my attack but while you were busy on the walls I snuck in Ghom and -he's dead... Well then I'll just use my Siege Breaker to -aaand he's dead too. Uh... a little help here Cydaea? Shitshitshitshit!"

So, uh, Diablo II Remastered... 40 dollars? Seriously? :lol:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man I had the opposite reaction, I thought the $40 tag was reasonable :shobon:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think 25-30 would've been more reasonable but I'll probably still pay 40.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
never thought id post in retro games, but here we are. i guess this is what getting old feels like =D

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oh my god starcraft 2 is in here too. gently caress

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Smythe posted:

never thought id post in retro games, but here we are. i guess this is what getting old feels like =D

There's a thread for PS3/360 games in here :negative:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Smythe posted:

oh my god starcraft 2 is in here too. gently caress

lol, not to derail too much, but there wasn't even like a main starcraft 2 thread. :shrug:

anyway, whoever does the D2:resurrected thread, you are more than welcome to throw that into the main Games subforum.

if you do feel this is the wrong place to move this one, my PM box is open and we can chat about it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
looking at the D2:R thing and it's mindblowing that they didn't crib the expanded charm inventory for this thing. filling your entire inventory with charms and then having to tetris stuff around for eternity is terrible. thinking about getting in the car and driving down to irvine to give these folks a piece of my mind

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yes its epic design choice to make players choose between power and ... picking up items in the item collecting slot machine game lol. BLIZZARD!!!!!!!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
is there a list of qol changes or other features they're adding/changing?

i think the best outcome would be mods working and playing pd2 in d2:r but im not getting my hopes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just wish they'd diversify spacing. A ring and a potion or scroll shouldn't take the same space. You oughta have a trinket bag for stuff like that then a big ol santa sack for the loot