Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Yeah well, you'd be wrong because action rpg is Diablo clones. Look man I didn't make the laws about this but gamer law clearly states that genres are immutable and highly specific

there's no need to be embarrassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

hawowanlawow posted:

there's no need to be embarrassed

Don't tell me how to live my life

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you're playing a game designed for a CRT monitor on an LCD, then you aren't playing the same game, way too many people complain about older games graphics when they aren't even bad if you're playing them on appropriate hardware

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

By the same token if you're playing an indie game on a screen that has a different calibration profile than the dev had it is also not the same :v: Let us judge pixels by their fatness

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
judge the pixel not by the girth of its form but by whether or not it bleeds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of that Lego NES model and how most of it is a big boxy faux wood panel TV with the antennas and the knobs and everything.

It's still weird how much flat screens changed the game overnight, though it was a messy process. I remember my brothers played without a HDMI cable and didn't notice the difference til I got them one and plugged it in and suddenly text became readable. (was a big problem with the early 360 era, iirc) Speaking of, so many loving proprietary and complicated plugs just disappeared overnight.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

adhuin posted:

OW has KDR table in the Deathmatch modes.

On team modes with asymmetric roles, it is less relevant.
If team healer is constantly dying, it can be because they're poo poo, or they're getting focused by enemy Genji/Tracer and your team isn't protecting them.
Tanks can top the KDR lists by being super-agressive brawler, while being pocketed by team healers. Or have lackluster KDR, while enabling their team to win fights. Both are valid styles with very different KDR:s.

Yes we know and are capable of taking that into account when reading a scoreboard. Data good. Well having data is good, how it's use though tends to be where problems occur.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a filter but hopefully it get's the point across the first image screams "I can't believe games used to look so awful" While the second says "Wow gaming on a CRT was objectively superior, I can't wait to throw my Ps5 in the trash because only three games worth playing have been released since 2000"

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 22, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of that Lego NES model and how most of it is a big boxy faux wood panel TV with the antennas and the knobs and everything.

It's still weird how much flat screens changed the game overnight, though it was a messy process. I remember my brothers played without a HDMI cable and didn't notice the difference til I got them one and plugged it in and suddenly text became readable. (was a big problem with the early 360 era, iirc) Speaking of, so many loving proprietary and complicated plugs just disappeared overnight.

Those of us who used a Wii are offended by your suggestion that it was "overnight"

People talk poo poo about the Switch being ~just a remakes console~ or whatever but gently caress that, playing Wii games at a decent resolution is loving good. I would pay for virtual console type poo poo that was nothing more than Wii games rendered better and with joycons instead of wiimotes

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

signalnoise posted:

Those of us who used a Wii are offended by your suggestion that it was "overnight"

People talk poo poo about the Switch being ~just a remakes console~ or whatever but gently caress that, playing Wii games at a decent resolution is loving good. I would pay for virtual console type poo poo that was nothing more than Wii games rendered better and with joycons instead of wiimotes

Funny thing is I did use a Wii.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a filter but hopefully it get's the point across the first image screams "I can't believe games used to look so awful" While the second says "Wow gaming on a CRT was objectively superior, I can't wait to throw my Ps5 in the trash because only three games worth playing have been released since 2000"

One's wider than the other one right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

they both look like earthworm jim for the SNES to me :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

they both look like earthworm jim for the SNES to me :shrug:

That was the genesis version, Prolly not the best example but my point still stands games looked better than we display them now and it's ruining a generation who now think retro games were pixel filled nightmares

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is I did use a Wii.

A self-offender, I see how it is

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The 2nd one's filter is a bit clean still, needs more glowy pixel bleeding. Also the filter that just smooths out all the pixels is better than both anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gaius Marius posted:

looks the same to me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The best thing about crt TVs is you could rest easy knowing if anyone broke into your house not only would they be physically unable to take your tv with them, but also if you have it high up enough you could potentially use it as a self defence weapon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm surprised a Hitman game never had an option to shoot down a fitting for a CRT to fall and crush someone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If you can move a 30 inch hdcrt around a room using only your body you are not human

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's only like 200 pounds. Kinda sucks cause the weights at the front but it ain't difficult

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

painstakingly explaining to the tinder date who came over my apartment why i have a giant antique cube tv in my room, showing examples of pixel bleed and scan lines

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trinitron.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the most badass thing i ever did was lift and move some 42 inch crt out of a room and into a car by myself when my dad and his friend were struggling with it lol.

thank you neighbors for leaving me your weight set when you moved back when i was a teen.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
CRT TVs forced game developers to use large, legible fonts. Nowadays most games have tiny thin text designed to be read 3" away from a computer screen.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm surprised a Hitman game never had an option to shoot down a fitting for a CRT to fall and crush someone.

Goldeneye did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My takeaway from Braid and The Witness is that Jonathan Blow is alright at making reasonably clever puzzle mechanics but not particularly good at designing puzzles around them.

Also like 75% of the poo poo he got was from people being anti-intellectual weirdos, but then he showed his rear end on Twitter by mouthing off about how women are less inclined towards programming :biotruths: type poo poo so basically gently caress him anyway.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have no strong political feelings re Jonathan Blow but The Witness is one of the greatest videogames ever made

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have no strong political feelings re Jonathan Blow but The Witness is one of the greatest videogames ever made

Some of the puzzles were plain old obtuse. But I guess that’s part of the charm.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Workaday Wizard posted:

Some of the puzzles were plain old obtuse. But I guess that’s part of the charm.

Agreed but you could say the same about Myst, i think its just close to being a prefect videogame, the way it explains itself, just perfect.

Pretentious and as smug as gently caress in places but as a GAME, super solid and man I wish i could forget it all and play again

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

My takeaway from Braid and The Witness is that Jonathan Blow is alright at making reasonably clever puzzle mechanics but not particularly good at designing puzzles around them.

I'm not sure about that, Braid is super clever a whole bunch of times. I should play the Witness, i think I'd probably be impressed although i'm dumb and i'd have to cheat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Also like 75% of the poo poo he got was from people being anti-intellectual weirdos, but then he showed his rear end on Twitter by mouthing off about how women are less inclined towards programming :biotruths: type poo poo so basically gently caress him anyway.

It wasn't anti-intellectualism, Braid was a fun platformer but was also full of cringe writing

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

QuarkJets posted:

It wasn't anti-intellectualism, Braid was a fun platformer but was also full of cringe writing

The thing is, most people didn't say "boy the writing sure was embarrassing and cringey" they just repeated the same poo poo ad nauseum about him being pretentious and hipster and weird and Jonathan Blowhard more like xD which was my point.

FWIW I reached a cromulent reading of The Witness and was perfectly satisfied with it, enough to not consider it pretentious or anything of the sort, but it probably helped that he actively hid most of the philosophy bits and I only found like, three of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

The thing is, most people didn't say "boy the writing sure was embarrassing and cringey" they just repeated the same poo poo ad nauseum about him being pretentious and hipster and weird and Jonathan Blowhard more like xD which was my point.

That's pretty much the exact same thing

Disco Elysium succeeds because the protagonist is basically noir detective Slavoj Zizek and they embrace the aesthetic of being filthy human disasters trying to make sense of a broken world

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I enjoyed Braid when it was released, no qualifiers on that. It was a good game, even if I feel no need to go back to it. A quick google for the ending's meaning told me that the creator was upset that people figured it out (WW2 nuke quotes), but I thought nothing of it and merrily went on my way.

When The Witness came out recently, it started strong but quickly went up its own arse (possibly trying to ape The Talos Principle?) with deep-sounding quotes that actually had nothing to do with anything. Then the puzzles turned to poo poo and I couldn't even get a early finish of the game since I refused to put up with that BS anymore.

I did not know that they where made by the same guy until this thread told me about it a while ago, and I still stand by saying The Witness is pretentious poo poo in addition to being a disappointing puzzle game and this opinion has nothing to do with any preconceptions or biases against its creator.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I liked Braid and mostly liked The Witness, but I also like Dear Esther so my opinion doesn't count.

With The Witness I got to the point where I only had a couple of normal puzzles left, then solved a few of the 'hidden' world puzzles. I thought they were really cool at first, but when I saw them light up the totem and just how many there were, I immediately lost all interest in playing. Something about collectathons really saps my will to play, even if they're optional. One day I might go back and at least finish the normal puzzles, like the super hard one on the crashed ship.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Workaday Wizard posted:

CRT TVs forced game developers to use large, legible fonts. Nowadays most games have tiny thin text designed to be read 3" away from a computer screen.

this is very noticeable if you try to play PS3 on a CRT. lots of the text is just unreadable

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Discovering the environmental puzzles in The Witness is easily in my top 5 gaming moments. I didn’t mind the philosophy recordings - it felt to me a little like meditation. Walking around solving puzzles while listening to people talk was a relaxing way to wind down for the day. I also liked how you could think you knew the rules of a puzzle for a few panels, but then a counter-example gets thrown at you that makes you re-examine what you thought you understood. Kinda like science.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rutibex posted:

this is very noticeable if you try to play PS3 on a CRT. lots of the text is just unreadable

Ahh, I remember the day I brought my brand new ps3 home, plugged it into the 32in CRT and fired up gta4. Got straight back up again, went out and bought a proper tv

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

fridge corn posted:

Ahh, I remember the day I brought my brand new ps3 home, plugged it into the 32in CRT and fired up gta4. First time I got a text message in the game got straight back up again, went out and bought a proper tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

That reminds me - YouTube keeps trying to recommend some video called “The Witness is an amazing game you should never play” and the title is so excruciatingly clickbait-y that I refuse to click it on principle. So wtf is it even about?