Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
How can someone so dense as Peston have such a high profile and probably a huge salary to go with it?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-21/johnson-is-shifting-from-government-to-us-the-responsibility-for-protecting-ourselves-from-covid-19

Johnson shifting responsibility for protecting from covid from government to civilians.

As if that hasn't been the case since the get-go!

(And btw I do think individuals should also take some responsibility - masks, social distancing, hand washing, vaccinations when available - but the govt has hosed up mightily on things that are beyond the scope of an individual).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How can someone so dense as Peston have such a high profile and probably a huge salary to go with it?
Meritocracy always produces a class of meritocrats. You can tell that they have merit because they have a high profile and a huge salary to go with it.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

things that are beyond the scope of an individual
Neoliberalism does not recognize such things.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Tbh, and judging solely based on popping out this afternoon, the horse has already bolted so far as keeping people locked down is concerned. Loads of big groups on country walks, multiple neighbours clearly with family or friends round their house, and at least one biker gang or club or whatever you call them out on a jolly down to the coast.

Good weather + the entirety of the British press baying for restrictions to be eased = lock downs over baby, awooooga!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Any public health solution worth the name has to account for the fact that some percentage of the population will just ignore it.

Same is true in general, and ignoring that just gets you to

So pushing lockdown + distancing + venue closures + masks etc. etc. to get enough of a cumulative decrease in R is about the best you can do.

What doesn't help is when most of the press and half of the government are being complete pricks about it and the state has abrogated itself of most functions other than PR and banning stuff.

Good to see kieth is gaining popularity among Gen X facebook tho.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scikar posted:

It's always up to the left to make sure they appeal to the centre, but once the centrists are in power it's the duty of the left to vote blindly for them, while they chase after Tory voters because "they count double!".

So, let's not, and see how they do (we know how they do, see pretty much every centre left European party rn)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the NEU should just disaffiliate at this point

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-21/johnson-is-shifting-from-government-to-us-the-responsibility-for-protecting-ourselves-from-covid-19

Johnson shifting responsibility for protecting from covid from government to civilians.

As if that hasn't been the case since the get-go!

(And btw I do think individuals should also take some responsibility - masks, social distancing, hand washing, vaccinations when available - but the govt has hosed up mightily on things that are beyond the scope of an individual).

he's an aristo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Peston,_Baron_Peston

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

There's extremely promising data on the Pfizer vaccine coming out of Israel on both one and two shot and specifically against the UK variants, which is good news, but my brain is so internet poisoned I'm just wondering how the smooth brain foundation will square it as both a Jewish plot to sterilize the world and also being hoarded by Zionists at everyone else's expense.

I'm sure they will, I believe in them.

I’m surprised this thread isn’t going to dismiss such data as being irrevocably tainted by ethnonationalism and immediately call for a boycott until another more acceptable country reproduces the results.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't go out much or see anyone really so I guess I dunno but I'm surprised to hear lockdown is being so ignored. Ultimately like actual op says it's a numbers game and that is being reflected in the bad numbers dropping.

But round here I don't see any rule breaking. Apart from my various doctor friends who I instantly report to the GMC everyone seems pretty good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

killerwhat posted:

In March, no less. Imagining people in winter coats huddled on a muddy picnic blanket, eating sandwiches

If it were legal this weekend I'd have definitely met my family in a park, I've not seen any of them in person since loving September. I mean it was hardly tropical but 15 degrees and sun out would have made grabbing a sandwich and a couple of cans from Tesco pretty drat attractive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

therattle posted:

I’m surprised this thread isn’t going to dismiss such data as being irrevocably tainted by ethnonationalism and immediately call for a boycott until another more acceptable country reproduces the results.

We're not a bunch of antisemites you idiot

Like this is not a funny post if it's a joke

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

therattle posted:

It's the other way around - we know the data is good because they've got a large control population who they aren't bothering to vaccinate. Apartheid makes for excellent medical data in certain specific, woefully unethical ways.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Well the announcement of the R rate being 1.1 is now scheduled for the end of March so good luck everyone.
Yea they’re 100% going to gently caress it up in exactly the same way yet again, and absolutely nobody is going to be willing to go along with the next lockdown in the middle of summer.

Are they even pretending to have a track & trace system any more, I feel like I haven’t heard anything about that and/or the app in a while; has it all been quietly forgotten?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1363633856818069507?s=21

bleak lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Independent have floated an article saying that Labour are acknowledging the Labour Victory Bonds have gone down like a turd in the punchbowl and Anneliese Dodds is probably going to get the sack as a result

Might just be rumours but apparently Miliband, Reeves, Cooper and Nandy are trying to line themselves up as replacements

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they didn't really call them that did they :cripes:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

therattle posted:

I don't often agree with Jose, but this is definitely a poo poo post and you should probably just gently caress off

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

What about the incredibly meaningful Covid Nandos Scale, surely that's central to their evidence-based deliberations

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

MikeCrotch posted:

Independent have floated an article saying that Labour are acknowledging the Labour Victory Bonds have gone down like a turd in the punchbowl and Anneliese Dodds is probably going to get the sack as a result

Might just be rumours but apparently Miliband, Reeves, Cooper and Nandy are trying to line themselves up as replacements

isn't Dodds on the nominal left of the controlling PLP group, meaning any replacement will be invariably worse? Gotta imagine they're just waiting for an excuse if so

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Chancellor Rich Uncle Pennybags from the Monopoly box.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Following this through, what's the hidden 4th directive?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
boil mince

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1363674921004650505?s=20

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

It was never a circle that was possible to square. That should already have been obvious in 2016, however.

It is true that Labour made a short-sighted miscalculation in 2016 in gambling that Remain would obviously win, which would suppress any dicey coalitional consequences anyway, and hence the tactical goal is mainly to avoid a ScotRef-style trap where the Tories drive an irreparable wedge between Labour and a sufficiently large chunk of its natural voting base by emphasizing the cultural contradictions within Labour's old and new voting cores. But this is if anything a remarkably small miscalculation next to then-Conservative leadership's own, of course, that Remain would obviously win &c. The contradiction only eventually destroyed Corbynism but it did immediately destroy Cameronism.

couldnt cameron have held on though? and wasnt mayism just a continuation of cameronism (no magic money tree, reduce immigration, etc)?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Where the gently caress did this come from?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bleak, but not unsuprising given that they've been basing every policy on scattershot whim for the last year, regardless of what every epidemiologist has been saying - more interested in speedrunning to "normalcy", not having to function as an actual state to help people, and a return to their default of siphoning off money for them and their mates.

And now they know they can get completely get away with it, given that they're standing on 110k+ skulls and no-one seems to care. They have a supine media, and compliant opposition on their side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There's extremely promising data on the Pfizer vaccine coming out of Israel on both one and two shot and specifically against the UK variants, which is good news, but my brain is so internet poisoned I'm just wondering how the smooth brain foundation will square it as both a Jewish plot to sterilize the world and also being hoarded by Zionists at everyone else's expense.

I'm sure they will, I believe in them.

If they were offering a combined covid/sterility shot I would be breaking into the vaccination center and doing rails of it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Good from Monbiot.

He's a good egg. Doesn't always go far enough in terms of anticapitalism but he *is* anticapitalist. Here he is putting the boot into Keith.

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1363458601612959751?s=20

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"We've ballsed it up old chaps, we accidentally managed to get a competent vaccination program up and running. So now not only have we given away the game that government can get things done, but worse, we're up against a shortening timeline in which to get as many deaths as possible."

E; unrelated but I am gratified that my weird neurotic post about nostalgia was considered good by anyone

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 22, 2021

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

therattle posted:

This is a bad post and you should feel bad for making it. Seriously even graded on your personal bell curve this is at the far low end.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Bleak, but not unsuprising given that they've been basing every policy on scattershot whim for the last year, regardless of what every epidemiologist has been saying - more interested in speedrunning to "normalcy", not having to function as an actual state to help people, and a return to their default of siphoning off money for them and their mates.

And now they know they can get completely get away with it, given that they're standing on 110k+ skulls and no-one seems to care. They have a supine media, and compliant opposition on their side.

I mean we care and what are we doing? What can we do? There’s probably lots more like us. What do we do about any of this? I feel like the time for blood was before covid even happened. Much like I feel a functioning country would have had to address the cultural gammon/everybodyelse 50/50 split we find ourselves in. Instead we’ve limped on and now I don’t know what the gently caress. But I don’t think any of it is because no one cares, or worse, likes what the Tories are doing.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 22, 2021

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it were legal this weekend I'd have definitely met my family in a park, I've not seen any of them in person since loving September. I mean it was hardly tropical but 15 degrees and sun out would have made grabbing a sandwich and a couple of cans from Tesco pretty drat attractive.

Fair enough. In my head picnic is specifically sitting down on the floor so it made me laugh given how soggy our local park is. I love being at home, I might be enjoying the lockdown too much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
On nostalgia, the thing that's kept me away from posting this last week has been scanning in an absolute shitload of old photos I found (inevitably while searching for something else). I'd scanned in all of the ones actually in albums some time ago, what I found was all the ones that my parents didn't think were worth putting in albums, and to me at least they're actually much, much better.

You see the ones in albums are all posed or of big events that I already remembered, they're effectively a PR exercise, whereas these also-rans are just mostly random shots taken to finish off rolls of film or ones that are out of focus or otherwise useless, but that's where the magic is. Nobody would ever have thought of specifically taking a picture of the old cabinet we used to keep all our VHS tapes in but one picture accidentally has it perfectly focused and exposed instead of the supposed subject, and just seeing those old handwritten labels has put me back in that living room at that time far more effectively than the picture of my nephew as a baby that it was supposed to be.

Examining the background of these pics has reminded me of things that were just a fact of life then but as such have been completely erased from memory; wondering why my dad seemed to have a copy of the FT on the arm of his chair, then it suddenly hitting me that it was Loot, a daily small-ads paper that was the Gumtree/Freecycle/FB ads of its day, which he'd get every day just on the offchance of a bargain, suddenly put me straight back to my early teens going all over London with him to pick up some random junk to be sold that Sunday at the market. Seeing my mum sifting through the Licorice Allsorts tin that was her Bag of Holding for every random battery, reel of thread or half-used tube of superglue that you might need for a quick repair of something is a much better reminder of her essential character than the pics of her in her best finery at my brother's wedding. Said brother making a stupid face while making the tea for everyone suddenly bought back his weird insistence that nobody in the house knew how to make tea *properly* so he insisted on doing it, again a much better memory of him as a person than the carefully-posed, hair-combed school pics that were worthy of an album.

I think I started this post meaning to agree with the general point of nostalgia being essentially corrosive because of the inevitable filtering of memories but I realised about halfway through I was actually confessing to being corroded in exactly that way, so I suppose I *am* agreeing except by example.

(Also a random pic taken of the kitchen not long after the family first moved here has finally shown me where the cooker circuit - long since tiled over - actually terminates so I might actually be able to install an electric oven at some point in the future without having to rip the walls apart, so nostalgia *can* be useful)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Oh god

Oh god, oh no

I have terrible news

Jess flaps has a new book out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Threadban when?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On nostalgia, the thing that's kept me away from posting this last week has been scanning in an absolute shitload of old photos I found (inevitably while searching for something else). I'd scanned in all of the ones actually in albums some time ago, what I found was all the ones that my parents didn't think were worth putting in albums, and to me at least they're actually much, much better.

You see the ones in albums are all posed or of big events that I already remembered, they're effectively a PR exercise, whereas these also-rans are just mostly random shots taken to finish off rolls of film or ones that are out of focus or otherwise useless, but that's where the magic is. Nobody would ever have thought of specifically taking a picture of the old cabinet we used to keep all our VHS tapes in but one picture accidentally has it perfectly focused and exposed instead of the supposed subject, and just seeing those old handwritten labels has put me back in that living room at that time far more effectively than the picture of my nephew as a baby that it was supposed to be.

Yes, you're right! And this is a sort of counterpoint to those anti-facebook* 'journos' in the likes of the Graun and the Torygraph who complain people always show 'perfect lives' on FB instead of the ups and downs of real life (I don't know who is on their FB but those on my FB show all their ups and downs especially in the closed groups - failures of housework, relationships etc feature at least as much as successes) so it is with the old, posed, family photo albums.

*I know FB etc have issues, but this particular 'perfect lives' complaint that excites Meedja Luvvies into FB hate bears little resemblance to the reality of most of my FB friends.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Threadban when?

In hindsight, I am getting the sense that what was intended as a joke about how reflexively hostile this thread was to Israel (such that even data from there would be rejected) was perhaps a tad ill-judged.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

crispix posted:

are picnics really that big of a deal for most people

Go to any country park at the moment and it is absolutely rammed with people. No one is paying any attention to the guidelines. I constantly see large groups out and meeting up. (Disclaimer I work for a County Council on rights of way). I have never seen the footpath network this busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

therattle posted:

In hindsight, I am getting the sense that what was intended as a joke about how reflexively hostile this thread was to Israel (such that even data from there would be rejected) was perhaps a tad ill-judged.

You think it perhaps might have been ill-judged? It wasn't immediately obvious that making a joke about a group of people routinely smeared for being antisemitic being antisemites was a bad plan?

What are you going to do for an encore? Make a joke about me being a sexual predator?