Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

therattle posted:

In hindsight, I am getting the sense that what was intended as a joke about how reflexively hostile this thread was to Israel (such that even data from there would be rejected) was perhaps a tad ill-judged.

That it was intended as a joke is obvious, that it being funny is predicated on a consistent unwillingness to engage with why people think the things they think and reduce it to mere reflexive hostility is only further evidence that you are bad at posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

In hindsight, I am getting the sense that what was intended as a joke about how reflexively hostile this thread was to Israel (such that even data from there would be rejected) was perhaps a tad ill-judged.

If you make a joke that nae oval office can tell is a joke the problem isn't with the audience.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

isn't Dodds on the nominal left of the controlling PLP group, meaning any replacement will be invariably worse? Gotta imagine they're just waiting for an excuse if so

Under the current leadership the answer to any policy failure is going to be 'get more tory'. Even in the original article, they immediately discount Milliband because he was Corbyn-curious and promote Reeves and Cooper heavily.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/1363483045307817986

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Catzilla posted:

I have never seen the footpath network this busy.

Country parks and footpaths being busy is surely not a sign people are ignoring the guidelines, but that they're following them to some extent? Because they're among the few places people are allowed to go, in most places. I'm sure people do break the rules when there, but outdoors is far safer than indoors.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

OwlFancier posted:

That it was intended as a joke is obvious, that it being funny is predicated on a consistent unwillingness to engage with why people think the things they think and reduce it to mere reflexive hostility is only further evidence that you are bad at posting.

To be fair, he immediately conceded that it was 'ill-judged'.

We all make bad posts from time to time, but I think piling in on someone who not only instantly apologised, but also has a track record of actually expanding and developing their views based on posting in this thread, is harsh and unconstructive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conversely I would characterise this repeated "why do you all hate israel, is it antisemitism??" schtick as a complete failure to alter their views at all. Which is why it is annoying.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
*nazi Hans Moleman voice* I was attacking Israel because of antisemitism

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You guys just can't take a joke. Any more than you can enjoy a nice falafel. Because it is popular in Israel. And you are antisemites.

:thejoke:

e: actually in hindsight it was probably ill judged for me to make a joke about the fact that you are all antisemites, I hope that we can put this behind us now

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Falafel is great, but the pittas in the UK are, quite frankly, absolutely awful pieces of cardboard. I miss fluffy pittas.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The Perfect Element posted:

We all make bad posts from time to time, but I think piling in on someone who not only instantly apologised, but also has a track record of actually expanding and developing their views based on posting in this thread, is harsh and unconstructive.

I agree the pile-on is not constructive, but admitting it was "perhaps ill-judged" isn't an apology.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Miftan posted:

Falafel is great, but the pittas in the UK are, quite frankly, absolutely awful pieces of cardboard. I miss fluffy pittas.

Absolutely pita-ful

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JoylessJester posted:

Under the current leadership the answer to any policy failure is going to be 'get more tory'. Even in the original article, they immediately discount Milliband because he was Corbyn-curious and promote Reeves and Cooper heavily.

They're lusting for Yvette Cooper to be leader and have been since she stood in 2015.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1358745035433517059

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Miftan posted:

falafel in naan is pretty good. some place i used to get lunch from did naan wraps lined with hummus and filled with salad and pickle and it was wonderful until the day i got a knot of hair strung through the entire wrap and i discovered it when it was halfway down my throat

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

I miss Egyptian breakfasts. There's a chain in Egypt called GAD. I always try and go when I'm in town. The fluffy pittas are to die for. I always get omelette as well as all this stuff. And proper Egyptian falafels not the little hard balls from Waitrose :guillotine: etc that pass as falafels over here.

(Ed: this is not a picture of a breakfast I actually had, just a pic off the internet. I have had many similar.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 22, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I am trying to work up the gumption to go risk plague for some study greggs

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They're lusting for Yvette Cooper to be leader and have been since she stood in 2015.

I actually dispute this - one of the things about the Labour right is that they are actually a pretty fractious bunch, and most importantly *not actually that popular within the party*. This is why Starmer had to run as a pretend leftist to win - the actual open candidate of the right, Jess Phillips, melted down almost instantly. Turns out the right got what they wanted in the end anyway but only because Keith hoodwinked a bunch of people.

The Labour right have be advantage of having a strong powerbase in he party via HQ staffers and councillors, and now several top positions like General Secretary. The problem however I that the wider membership and the public *loving hate them* which is why they go down like a wet fart whenever they put themselve publicly forward. The only way they can get ahead is by transparently lying about what they're about, which someone like Yvette Cooper, as a committed Brownite, would never do I think.

I think Rachel Reeves Vs Lisa Nandy is the upcoming leadership struggle within the party (with someone from the left opposing them) with Rachel Reeves continuing down the Miliband/Starmer style low risk path and Nandy going more full bore Blue Labour, more economically radical but also more openly racist.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Perfect Element posted:

Doing exactly the same schtick that he rolled in here with, but following it up with "just joking" is neither evidence of development nor expansion. A few people trashing a lovely post is not a pile-on, it's how we get people to make fewer lovely posts.

I agree that calls for a thread ban are ridiculous given that Breath Ray and Vitamin P are still allowed to post here for some reason.

e: and as has been pointed out, "immediately apologised" is not what happened

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 22, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Are pitas a thing one can make from scratch? I've been making bagels every week, because the only thing you can buy here is, as Michael Rosen puts it, "rolls with holes"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bobstar posted:

Are pitas a thing one can make from scratch? I've been making bagels every week, because the only thing you can buy here is, as Michael Rosen puts it, "rolls with holes"

Yup sure are. Definitely a knack to it, basically a standard dough rolled very thin and cooked on a plate/pan or in the oven at high heat which forms a pocket of steam and giving them the "puffed" appearance.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

one of the things about the Labour right is that they are actually a pretty fractious bunch
A fundamental problem with centrists is that they think their ideology is not an ideology at all but Just Common Sense, so whilst they can all agree that anyone who actually wants to change society for the better is wrong, as soon as you put any particular centrist in the spotlight it turns out that their idea of Common Sense is not actually the common sense that they meant. That's why Kieth's their man, he doesn't have any loving policies to start with.

Unfortunately that's not a particularly sustainable position for a leader.

e:

Bobstar posted:

I've been making bagels every week, because the only thing you can buy here is, as Michael Rosen puts it, "rolls with holes"
I had some M&S own-brand bagels the other week, obviously they weren't as good as anything I've had from local bakeries in Jewish areas, but they were actually recognisably bagels & so miles ahead of all the name-brand shite you get in most supermarkets

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 22, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1363781014196281345?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I actually dispute this - one of the things about the Labour right is that they are actually a pretty fractious bunch, and most importantly *not actually that popular within the party*. This is why Starmer had to run as a pretend leftist to win - the actual open candidate of the right, Jess Phillips, melted down almost instantly. Turns out the right got what they wanted in the end anyway but only because Keith hoodwinked a bunch of people.

The Labour right have be advantage of having a strong powerbase in he party via HQ staffers and councillors, and now several top positions like General Secretary. The problem however I that the wider membership and the public *loving hate them* which is why they go down like a wet fart whenever they put themselve publicly forward. The only way they can get ahead is by transparently lying about what they're about, which someone like Yvette Cooper, as a committed Brownite, would never do I think.

I think Rachel Reeves Vs Lisa Nandy is the upcoming leadership struggle within the party (with someone from the left opposing them) with Rachel Reeves continuing down the Miliband/Starmer style low risk path and Nandy going more full bore Blue Labour, more economically radical but also more openly racist.

Reeves has never been a stranger to open bigotry. Remember when she said Labour shouldn't and didn't represent people on benefits?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/fullanarchy/status/1363783147884851203

:stonklol:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Kieth: [does everything the right claims to like]

Right: [says he didn't]

Kieth: "What do you mean they're lying? That's illegal, people can't do that!"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

tories will absolutely gain seats in 2024 lmao

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Don't worry guys, the locals are coming up, if they lose out on those you know they'll see the error of their ways.

(for this purpose, the error of their ways is that they're not nationalisming hard enough)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Borrovan posted:

Don't worry guys, the locals are coming up, if they lose out on those you know they'll see the error of their ways.

(for this purpose, the error of their ways is that they're not nationalisming hard enough)

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/796229362643152896

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Just remember never to do the bad nationalisms, like the water or electricity grid.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

if Reeves becomes leader and becomes the Starmer Continuity Melt, then Labour will lose seats in 2024 just as they would have lost them under Kieth

if Nandy becomes leader and immediately goes full bore Blue Labour, then they actually stand a chance at winning in 2024, and that's loving horrifying

it's lose/lose either way

e: also, if Reeves wins, the Tory press will 100% use her Nancy Astor praise from a couple of years ago as more evidence that Labour is institutionally antisemitic

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dont know about that, if you want tories you'd just vote tory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This is what Kieth does at the weekend

https://twitter.com/theemptypage_/status/1363542423385833474?s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I dont know about that, if you want tories you'd just vote tory.

Blue Labour ≠ Tory tho, because even though the Tories are just as socially fascist, they're still institutionally neoliberal

of course, if Nandy won, Boris could easily outflank Labour from the economic left, as we've acknowledged he's stealing the popular stuff from Corbyn's manifesto, so there's no doubt he'd undermine Nandy's economic agenda in that scenario

basically, I'm saying that you're entirely right and you should say it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Following this through, what's the hidden 4th directive?

4. Have puffy face like a blowfish

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MikeCrotch posted:

TBF the labour left are also loathed by the public

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Come the gently caress on

https://twitter.com/kelly_welles/status/1363771292722360322?s=09

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Convex posted:

4. Have puffy face like a blowfish

Bad me - instantly thought of posting image of Gove looking like a blowfish but then remembered it's bad to face-shame.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bloodly posted:

Following this through, what's the hidden 4th directive?
Why would it be any different to the movie? You can do all the prosecutions you want but don't touch the corporate orthodoxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Re. Blue Labour the original premise was basically "social democracy, but for white people".

This made a lot more sense when David Cameron's brand of liberal pro-business conservativism was in power, its a harder sell when Boris, Rishi and Priti are throwing cash around and openly talking about locking up brown people.

Should be pointed out that the fundamental problem any Starmer/Dodds/Reeves style of Labour party is that the 2 most popular positions among both Labour voters in ex-industrial towns and cities are:

- Taxing the rich
- Radical economic change

The fact that Starmer doesn't want to do either should tell you how good his strategy is.