Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groke posted:

Yeah, you can't add provinces to the HRE unless you are in it.
There should be a button which says "join" there. If you want to join the HRE you press the join HRE button. It used to be that you pressed add province to join but it was changed at some point.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Poil posted:

There should be a button which says "join" there. If you want to join the HRE you press the join HRE button. It used to be that you pressed add province to join but it was changed at some point.

They added a button to add all your provinces, too.

At least a couple of patches ago, if you were a non-member that got elected, you had to explicitly add at least your capital or you still weren't a member.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groke posted:

They added a button to add all your provinces, too.

At least a couple of patches ago, if you were a non-member that got elected, you had to explicitly add at least your capital or you still weren't a member.
Ah, I've never had that happen. Then I have no idea, sorry.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I havent played since they changed Estates, whats the strat here? Grab crown land whenever possible, turn it into +1 policies?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Early game get into +1 Mana for the estates that provide it and snatch crown land back whenever you have the chance. Snag other nice bonuses as you run across them. Once Absolutism rolls around you dump relying on Estates so your max increases.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

I haven’t played since they changed Estates, what’s the strat here? Grab crown land whenever possible, turn it into +1 policies?

At first I just got the +1s and whatever else I felt like whenever crown land wouldn't go below 30, but I've discovered that especially if you plan to dev up renaissance you might as well grab them on day 1 and just deal with lovely income for a while. It ends up paying for itself pretty rapidly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jay Rust posted:

I haven’t played since they changed Estates, what’s the strat here? Grab crown land whenever possible, turn it into +1 policies?

Yup. And the various Monopolies you can give out are super worth it. The Supremacy Over The Crown privilege you can give to the Nobles sounds stupid, but it's crazy good, it's a happiness boost for all of them and you get more Diets, which means more Diet completion awards.

You can also just give out all the +1s right away if you want, there's an event that will take you up to 30 CL if you're below 5 or 10.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Decided to knock out some of the custom nation chevos

Europe was funny, Austria got the inheritance and reduced France to an OPM by 1550. Russia started strong but was eventually made into an Oirat trib.

Once done I figured I'd form Inca and knock out A Sun God too but for some reason it doesn't show up in the list.

Also didn't religious ideas use to have a 2nd missionary? It was annoying do this with 2 missionaries.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It still does, first idea in the line is +1 Missionary.

E: oh a second +1 Missionary in the idea group you mean? That does sound familiar, waaaay back in the day

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PittTheElder posted:

It still does, first idea in the line is +1 Missionary.

E: oh a second +1 Missionary in the idea group you mean? That does sound familiar, waaaay back in the day

Pretty sure that was the capstone once, probably back when the last idea wasn't the casus belli.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think it was replaced by the maintenance modifier when that got jacked way up

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

Once done I figured I'd form Inca and knock out A Sun God too but for some reason it doesn't show up in the list.

Because that isn't for custom nations. There's just a handful of generic achievements that are allowed.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
This Austria game is kicking my arse. Lost a big war with the Ottomans and its taking so long to recover.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

This Austria game is kicking my arse. Lost a big war with the Ottomans and its taking so long to recover.

Sell out your allies next time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imo take all the +1 estates on day one, plus the ones that boost loyalty and do nothing else, plus the one that autocalls diets. Plus whatever else looks good. Then sell off whatever's left.

Take statuatory rights when that event pops. Mana is worth far more than 20 years of autonomy and then you're permanently in the clear on crownland. Plus high influence loyal estates give sweet buffs on top of the actual estate privileges.

e: also get two vassals asap for Strong Duchies, it's basically free dip slots.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Sell out your allies next time.

I didnt have any - the ottomans declared while I was already in a bruising fight with Poland Lithuania. Fuckers all declined.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

I didnt have any - the ottomans declared while I was already in a bruising fight with Poland Lithuania. Fuckers all declined.

So they took the advice instead.

:v:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Huh. So apparently Burgundy can choose to reintegrate with France even if France is already a PU under England, in which case England gets the PU:

Neat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Where does the thread title come from?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
When it came out, Stellaris was characterised as "Europa Universalis, but in space".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
We desperately need a new thread title because this one constantly makes me grind my teeth in anger. I know it's intended to be that way but I haven't earned this suffering.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ilitarist posted:

We desperately need a new thread title because this one constantly makes me grind my teeth in anger. I know it's intended to be that way but I haven't earned this suffering.

Once the Leviathan expansion comes out it'll be even more like Stellaris (which has a DLC called Leviathans), so if anything the thread title will only get more relevant from here on out :v:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 22, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One if the unannounced features is sea monsters that can appear and gently caress up your navy

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

If Stellaris was actually like EUIV I might actually play it more than once a year to see the horizon signal event chain.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

speaking of stellaris eu4 has anyone else ever tried to fight back a big synthetics blob. last time as brandenburg i dropped them in korea and by the time i saw them they were unstoppable. i think starting them in like butua or something might be interesting

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that a mod, or

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's an Easter Egg event you can trigger with console.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Synthetics

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah their big thing is that they instantly annex and core any province they occupy, as soon as they occupy it. during the war

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat a Mamluk war really drains my manpower. Of course, I'm just having manpower issues in general. I feel like I just can't get it to replenish fast enough, which is not a problem I had as the Aztecs with quantity ideas. Although it probably doesn't help that I keep calling for war when my manpower is only like 30-40% recovered.

I also keep flirting with a Coalition forming against me, but nothing major has formed since the one from my last post finally dissolved which was something like 15+ nations. Instead what happens is like 2-4 countries join a coalition while I'm in the middle of a war that isn't bordering them and then after a few months they all leave it.

I also had to end my alliance with France after my 2nd Mamluk war (which got me western Anatolia) because I was out of manpower and only had about 50k troops total and I got a warning that Spain was going to attack France. It's kind of to bad because I might have been able to get some of the Spanish land in either southern Italy or the western Mediterranean isles, but I'll just have to work on that later.

I've completely ignored exploration ideas and decided that my ultimate goal for this game is to control every single province that has a port on the Mediterranean. Most of them are part of my mission goals anyway.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Ottomans? Consolidate infantry regiments after battles, spam janissaries. (Focus military mana.)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It sort of feels to me, that not only should forts be insanely expensive, even hard limited in how many you can maintain, but taking one should be something that happens like every 50 years or so. Taking highly developed forts in the 1500s was a monumental event, and not something that happened constantly.

Or maybe my sense of time is so spazzed out in EU4, since sieges do last years upon years if you're unlucky, but are gone in the blink of a speed 5 eye.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Ottomans? Consolidate infantry regiments after battles, spam janissaries. (Focus military mana.)

No, the Ottomans are destroyed.

Byzantium will rule the Mediterranean!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Actually that leads me to a question: does the AI way overvalue artillery or am I missing something because it seems like they always have some crazy amount of cannons. Like I've seen AI 30k stacks that have like 20k cannons in it. But then they field like 3 of those kind of armies.

I know calvary use should be limited, but am I just not using enough artillery? If you were to make a 30 stack of troops what would be the mix? I usually do 15 inf/5 cav/10 art and i feel like it's sufficient for the midgame part. I'm taking just in general and not considering any special bonuses.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

use a few cannons to get siege bonii early game and then tech 16 your entire full width of backrow should be arties. front row should be full width inf with a few more in the stack to cycle out so the arties don't move to the front row

feller
Jul 5, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Actually that leads me to a question: does the AI way overvalue artillery or am I missing something because it seems like they always have some crazy amount of cannons. Like I've seen AI 30k stacks that have like 20k cannons in it. But then they field like 3 of those kind of armies.

I know calvary use should be limited, but am I just not using enough artillery? If you were to make a 30 stack of troops what would be the mix? I usually do 15 inf/5 cav/10 art and i feel like it's sufficient for the midgame part. I'm taking just in general and not considering any special bonuses.

14/2/14

Or make an army thats nothing but cannons and put some of those inf only merc companies with it. This is assuming you're miltech 16+ and not a horde/poland/other crazy cav power

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TMMadman posted:

The amount of artillery you should have depends on tech level. 10/0/20 is obviously a stupid combo, and yeah the AI does tend to do that a lot; I think they're trying to use them for sieges and then getting confused? But if you're at tech 15 or 16 where the artillery bonuses really kick in, you'd want to do something like 16/4/10 or even 18/0/12 (the reason to bring more infantry is that they will die more than arty as you campaign; for major battles you'll want to bring multiples of that army together to make sure the backline is filled with artillery).

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok good, so it seems like I'm pretty much on the right track but could probably use a few less cavalry regiments and a few more artillery regiments.

And I always try to keep my armies close enough to support each other during an invasion because it's just good strategy.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Another question about the Burgundian inheritance - if its Charles with Marie as heir do you need to maintain a good relationship and royal marriage with them?

Because Ive restarted and them holding onto imperial land is messing with my authority but I dont want to go to war with them if it will ruin my chances.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sri.Theo posted:

Another question about the Burgundian inheritance - if its Charles with Marie as heir do you need to maintain a good relationship and royal marriage with them?

Because Ive restarted and them holding onto imperial land is messing with my authority but I dont want to go to war with them if it will ruin my chances.

There's a bunch of multipliers to the AI's choice weighting based on relations and other conditions. In general though you want to be over 100 relations at all times and hopefully they have rivaled the other major claimant - France or the Emperor. The rivaled one is almost certainly SOL as it's a huge hit to weighting. Looking through the event real quick it also seems the Emperor get a nice 2x weight multi for marriage and another for alliance. While the french only have a bonus for being over 100 opinion and the rest are reliant on (burgundy's) rivals and rep with the Emperor.

E: Here's the exact event block for the Emperor being chosen to inherit.
code:
#Get support from the Emperor
	option = {
		name = "incidents_bur_inheritance.1.c"
		trigger = {
			emperor = {
				exists = yes
			}
		}
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 10
			modifier = {
				factor = 2
				has_opinion = {
					who = emperor
					value = 100
				}
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 2
				marriage_with = emperor
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 2
				alliance_with = emperor
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 10
				is_part_of_hre = yes
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 0.5
				OR = {
					is_rival = emperor
					emperor = { is_rival = ROOT }
				}
			}
		}
		custom_tooltip = marry_the_emperor_tt
		#Absorb subjects
		if = {
			limit = {
				NEV = {
					is_subject_of = BUR
				}
				FRA = { exists = yes }
			}
			FRA = { vassalize = NEV }
		}
		every_subject_country = {
			limit = {
				ai = yes
				NOT = { tag = NEV }
				capital_scope = {
					OR = {
						region = france_region 
						culture_group = french
						culture = dutch
						culture = flemish
						is_part_of_hre = yes
					}
				}
			}
			BUR = { inherit = PREV }
		}
		emperor = {
			create_union = ROOT
			if = {
				limit = {
					has_dlc = "Emperor"
				}
				set_imperial_incident = incident_burgundian_succ_emp
			}
			else = {
				country_event = {
					id = incidents_bur_inheritance.2
					days = 5
				}
			}
		}
		hidden_effect = {
			emperor = {
				country_event = { 
					id = incidents_bur_inheritance.103
					days = 10
				}
			}
		}
	}

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks. I guess Ill just have to deal with them holding imperial land!

Im now also slightly annoyed that because I returned a bunch of land to Milan their opinion is too high for me to restore the union.

Look I was just fattening you up, I dont actually want to be your friend.

(An insult wasnt enough so I might eat the two stab hit)

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 22, 2021