Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

riho should injure someone for real, very badly, to show a 'mean streak' and to be taken seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
she should injure u

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

are there any women who wrestler for aew who do the scorpion deathlock that riho can shoot kick in their face?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cavauro posted:

riho should injure someone for real, very badly, to show a 'mean streak' and to be taken seriously
They already call her "Small Monster" in Japan.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's a sarcastic name and they jeer her very loudly over there and make fun of her for wrestling

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Dan Spivey was well on his way to beating the absolute hell out of a job guy at a TV taping for his lack of selling when they stopped film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCQFZdpCok

(It's likely the job guy didn't know what he was doing and wasn't being malicious, but it was a bad look on his part.)

What I’ve found impressive about this clip is the jobber keeps getting back up so quickly. He’s not only actively no selling, he’s showing incredible cardio jumping to his feet so rapidly!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

they gotta recreate the brock/orton angle but with riho and uhhhh yuka?

How dare you act like Yuka Sakazaki would not be the Brock Lesnar in any monster bloodies up veteran hardway segment.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~
Were there any notable women in wrestling during the early to mid-90s who weren't Japanese, other than Madusa/Alundra Blayze? (I'll also accept notable foreigners who worked for Japanese promotions.)

Most of the time when WWF/WCW would put together women's matches up until the late 90s, it was primarily visitors from AJW. I know it was really viewed as more of an oddity at the time, but I'm wondering if any American/Mexican/European promotions (even indies) took it seriously.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Luna Vachon. Besides her I got nothin

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jacquismo posted:

Were there any notable women in wrestling during the early to mid-90s who weren't Japanese, other than Madusa/Alundra Blayze? (I'll also accept notable foreigners who worked for Japanese promotions.)

Most of the time when WWF/WCW would put together women's matches up until the late 90s, it was primarily visitors from AJW. I know it was really viewed as more of an oddity at the time, but I'm wondering if any American/Mexican/European promotions (even indies) took it seriously.

Rhonda Sing worked for AJW and then in Stampede, and of course ended up being turned into a comedy character by Vince McMahon

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Sensational Sherri though she mostly managed during that time period.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Leilani Kai was around during that time and having a couple of OK matches (and a lot of nothing ones). Judy Martin had the very end of her career in the early 90s. Malia Hosaka was just starting out and went on to have a decent indies career.

Other than that, women's wrestling in the US just wasn't a mainstream pursuit. it's actually amazing to see how much has changed in even the last ten years in the USA.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Rhonda Sing worked for AJW and then in Stampede, and of course ended up being turned into a comedy character by Vince McMahon

Her name in Japan was Monster Ripper, easily one of the best wrestler names of all time.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

yeah. her forearms are just great. even from awkward positions like fighting on the turnbuckle she makes them look good

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1179894197765246977

This moment in this match is what sold me on Riho. The sound of those forearms landing really caught me off guard in a good way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jacquismo posted:

Debbie Malenko was very good during that period but her career got cut short.

Lady Apache was also notable during that period working the Universal Lucha Libre tours and then for a variety of companies later on.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Is there a reason Japanese third counts tend to be delayed?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

To give someone more time to kick out and ensure every match goes 35+ minutes

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ringo Roadagain posted:

yeah. her forearms are just great. even from awkward positions like fighting on the turnbuckle she makes them look good

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1179894197765246977

This clip makes me dread crowds coming back because of the several stupid and bad cuts to the crowd during this one move and pin attempt.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ganso Bomb posted:

This clip makes me dread crowds coming back because of the several stupid and bad cuts to the crowd during this one move and pin attempt.
I'll take that over whatever dumb poo poo Kevin Dunn does for WWE

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Jacquismo posted:

Terri Powers (Tori in the WWF)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jacquismo posted:

I recall Reggie Bennett; she wore a hardhat and suspenders, I think, and wrestled a lot in Japan. She briefly appeared in ECW, but nothing came of it. From what few matches I remember, she was a decent power wrestler.

https://twitter.com/CaliSasuke/status/1241939070550302720

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhonda Sing, too. She tore up Stampede and Japan as Monster Ripper but went to the WWF and became... Bertha Faye, Harvey Whippleman's girlfriend. She got to wrestle more in WCW but they also made her a Nitro Girl called Beef because she was a larger woman and the Nitro Girls were skinny and that's funny.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
the 90s were bad

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's Jeff Jarrett's best match?

also: what's Bret Hart's worst match? (PPV matches preferably)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's Jeff Jarrett's best match?

also: what's Bret Hart's worst match? (PPV matches preferably)

Jarrett's best is against Shawn at IYH 2.

Bret's worst is against Vince at WM 26.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Jarrett's best is against Shawn at IYH 2.

Bret's worst is against Vince at WM 26.

Vince at Mania 26 is not canon.

Bret's book is very clear he feels his worst WWF PPV match is Backlund at Mania 11.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
All Bret's matches are the same. Same moves, same order, same grumpiness.

Based on that, his best match is also his worst.

I'll just leave this grenade in here and see myself out.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pitwar posted:

Based on that, his best match is also his worst.

I'll just leave this grenade in here and see myself out.

It didn't go off.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Owen and Bret's cage match blows. It is paced horrendously.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A lot of people have soured on the cage match over the years but I still think it’s great

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

A lot of people have soured on the cage match over the years but I still think it’s great

Yeah, it's been a couple of years since I saw it last but it's very good, about as good as WWF ever got

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Pitwar posted:

This is not true at all. Bret was a master at tweaking his match style to fit his opponent and get them over. Like, watch his match against 1-2-3 Kid and then watch his match against Yokozuna, he's telling completely different stories with the same moves.

It also makes no sense for the Hitman character to have a massive moveset. He's a calculated, strategic, efficient wrestler.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

This is not true at all. Bret was a master at tweaking his match style to fit his opponent and get them over. Like, watch his match against 1-2-3 Kid and then watch his match against Yokozuna, he's telling completely different stories with the same moves.

It also makes no sense for the Hitman character to have a massive moveset. He's a calculated, strategic, efficient wrestler.

He has the thing that I've also heard people say about Jay White. His list of moves is short, but he does all of them as well as that move has ever been done by anyone.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ha, my post was more tongue in cheek than anything serious.

Saying that, I'm far from a Bret fan, but that's more because I don't like the guy as opposed to his work. I couldn't sit down and watch a load of his matches like I can with other wrestlers. I'd soon tire of them.

He's done some great work for sure, the 123 Kid match you mention being a prime example, but there's tons more wrestlers I'd choose to watch above him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'd guess one of Bret's matches against Lawler or Yankem could land high on the worst list. Those feuds were at least total dogshit.

I haven't watched it in a while - I know everything else around it is miserable, but how is Yoko/Bret at WMIX received?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'd guess one of Bret's matches against Lawler or Yankem could land high on the worst list. Those feuds were at least total dogshit.

I haven't watched it in a while - I know everything else around it is miserable, but how is Yoko/Bret at WMIX received?

Bret's entire thing with Doink and Lawler at SummerSlam '93 is fantastic; the rest of the feud was hit or miss. Two years later, his thing with Yankem was dumb, but the match was okay.

The Yoko/Bret match is short, because they wanted to save Yokozuna for the stuff with Hogan, but I remember choking and a nerve hold thing, so.... yeah.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The question about Japan and women reminded me of a game show clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3fla_5TTkc

The Hell Raisers (Road Warrior Hawk and Kensuke Sasaki/Power Warrior) go on a Japanese game show where they rough up contestants. There's another one which, I think, is Hawk and Animal on a floating ring in the water, filled with sharks, which I can't find.

Does anyone have or know where to find that clip?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

It’s for sure the best Yoko singles match I’ve ever seen, for whatever that’s worth

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

It’s for sure the best Yoko singles match I’ve ever seen, for whatever that’s worth

His tag matches weren't much better; he tagged for a little bit with Crush, and those sucked, and his teaming with Owen wasn't very good, either. Yoko's problem in tag matches is that he'd still use restholds instead of just, you know, tagging out.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

britishbornandbread posted:

Bret's book is very clear he feels his worst WWF PPV match is Backlund at Mania 11.

You know how last-man-standing matches, if booked poorly, are just endless transitional move+dude falls to canvas+ref counts to 7, over and over and over again? Imagine that but way worse, and that's Bret/Backlund at Mania. "Submission" rest hold after rest hold with Piper yelling over the mic if each one wants to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is why we need to get back to the good old days of 60-minute broadways.