Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1363345028496654338?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Some Guy TT posted:

like the only person in american politics even approaching that level of cringe is andrew yang but last time i checked his speeches werent peppered with references to his favorite anime

man gently caress yang

rear end in a top hat telling asians to prove their americaness is some peak level model minority poo poo

total "please like me daddy" vibes from that dipshit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it’s insane that they had anything positive to say about Maoism

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

seriously? lol they are drinking their own kool-aid. brilliant analysis :golfclap:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rutibex posted:

seriously? lol they are drinking their own kool-aid. brilliant analysis :golfclap:

the gently caress

yeah lets just ignore our loving judicial system and prison industry and absolutely everything about institutional racism in america

i bet that was written by some ivy league white bro

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
holy jesus what even is this

https://twitter.com/US_China_Menu/status/1363353790565425155?s=20

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
once a year, President Xi invites Han overseers from the outlying barbarian hordes to evaluate cases for minority recognition as enlightened races to be absorbed into the hegemonizing swarm. Each year, these patriotic humanitarians return to the frontier to relay sad news to the despondent masses who turn their eyes West for comfort

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rutibex posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...af6d_story.html

quote:

Trump appeared peeved by the schoolhouse vibe but also allergic to the dynamic of his advisers talking at him. His ricocheting attention span led him to repeatedly interrupt the lesson. He heard an adviser say a word or phrase and then seized on that to interject with his take. For instance, the word “base” prompted him to launch in to say how “crazy” and “stupid” it was to pay for bases in some countries.

Trump’s first complaint was to repeat what he had vented about to his national security adviser months earlier: South Korea should pay for a $10 billion missile defense system that the United States built for it. The system was designed to shoot down any short- and medium-range ballistic missiles from North Korea to protect South Korea and American troops stationed there. But Trump argued that the South Koreans should pay for it, proposing that the administration pull U.S. troops out of the region or bill the South Koreans for their protection.

“We should charge them rent,” Trump said of South Korea. “We should make them pay for our soldiers. We should make money off of everything.”

Trump proceeded to explain that NATO, too, was worthless. U.S. generals were letting the allied member countries get away with murder, he said, and they owed the United States a lot of money after not living up to their promise of paying their dues.

More broadly, Mattis argued, the NATO alliance was not serving only to protect western Europe. It protected America, too. “This is what keeps us safe,” Mattis said. Cohn tried to explain to Trump that he needed to see the value of the trade deals. “These are commitments that help keep us safe,” Cohn said.

“It’s the worst deal in history!” Trump declared.

“Well, actually . . .,” Tillerson interjected.

“I don’t want to hear it,” Trump said, cutting off the secretary of state before he could explain some of the benefits of the agreement. “They’re cheating. They’re building. We’re getting out of it. I keep telling you, I keep giving you time, and you keep delaying me. I want out of it.”

if there had been just one neocon trot in the room they could have explained that this was called imperialism and indeed making the usa very rich, but nope! they were all high on their own supply of Global Liberal Rules-Based Order and had a bad time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...af6d_story.html

if there had been just one neocon trot in the room they could have explained that this was called imperialism and indeed making the usa very rich, but nope! they were all high on their own supply of Global Liberal Rules-Based Order and had a bad time

lol imagine cheney sitting at home and reading this in wapo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It is entirely impossible for non-whites to be racist; racism is, as you know, a tool of imperialism created by Europeans and perfected by Americans. Racism is taught and exported by these groups to other countries to facilitate their goals in other countries. Russia, for example, was an entirely equal society and pockets of that tolerance remain, however the culture has been aggressively damaged and tainted by western teachings and influence to create racism where there was none previously; Navalny is an example of western-style racism created in a vacuum where it did not exist previously

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

It is entirely impossible for non-whites to be racist; racism is, as you know, a tool of imperialism created by Europeans and perfected by Americans. Racism is taught and exported by these groups to other countries to facilitate their goals in other countries. Russia, for example, was an entirely equal society and pockets of that tolerance remain, however the culture has been aggressively damaged and tainted by western teachings and influence to create racism where there was none previously; Navalny is an example of western-style racism created in a vacuum where it did not exist previously
https://twitter.com/kaliandkalki/status/1363002435111854080

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Actually saying anything about USA projecting it's internal contradictions on the rest of the world is racist, checkmate tankies.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Homophobia was brought to China by Jesuits and later American media

Anti-black racism was brought to the world, including China unfortunately, by American media

do you think people outside of the west/middle east see arabs (or muslims ignorantly conflated with arabs) as terrorists if not for western media telling them as much?

Of course there are other forms of prejudice, stereotype, chauvinism and bigotry but America specifically intentionally cultivated a lot of the forms they take globally today

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

Of course there are other forms of prejudice, stereotype, chauvinism and bigotry but America specifically intentionally cultivated a lot of the forms they take globally today

france didn't need the help really but lol that "islamo-leftist" speech is straight-up jonah goldberg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

france didn't need the help really but lol that "islamo-leftist" speech is straight-up jonah goldberg
also bernard henri-levy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Feb 22, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idgi

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the BBC slightly desaturates (?) the imagery to make china look at little more grey and dystopian

also, mexico really looks like this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Znovljrq8

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the BBC slightly desaturates (?) the imagery to make china look at little more grey and dystopian

I mean have you seen Britain, I'm sure they just do that not to startle their audience with things like color, or fun

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

also, mexico really looks like this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Znovljrq8

both have the BBC watermark though, does the subtitle choice change the saturation? also, why lol if non-English speakers see the “real” thing anyway

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Britain had color rationing implemented during WW2, and the public got so used to it that regular colors were never restored. UKIP even campaigned on how Brexit was necessary because the EU was going to force bright colors back onto the UK.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I made a playlist of everything that's happening in Myanmar from 2007 to 2021

I pretty much searched everything relevant I can find of all things Myanmar on youtube,

here is the Myanmar playlist on chronological order published from 2007 to 2021

here is the list on reversed order from latest news to the oldest

The list has slightly over 500 videos, but its not as long as you think. I worked through 90% of them in a few days.

It really doesn't matter which order you watch the news, because the first 2 videos from 2007 immediately talk about the previous coup and incarceration of the dissidents.

If you have some familiarity of Indochina peninsula or ASEAN already, you don't need to watch them in an order, you can watch them in shuffle mode, which you can do on desktop browser. It's the best way to submerge yourself in endless junta rule/uncontrolled illicit jade trades with china/rohingya refugee/numerous ethnic arm struggles other than rohingya/Ang san suu kyi/generous misery of the people of Myanmar.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

the subtitle should probly be "[We're] hard at work every day" rather than that long sentence the BBC inserted

e: derp

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Feb 22, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fleetwood posted:

the subtitle should probly be "[We're] hard at work every day" rather than that long sentence the BBC inserted

e: derp

sometimes they split the subtitles differently. the chinese version might have had a sentence before that but it was split into two subtitles

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

ah, yeah I thought that too after I wrote it. thought it might be some subtle throwback propaganda

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's a thing called video/full level mismatch when you're exporting and importing video and this looks like that, probably just an editor loving up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Halsrethink/status/1363664589171359748

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/elenaevdokimov7/status/1363799942721007616

is this actually him im not sure an old internet comment bearing his name qualifies as evidence but on the other hand navalny being a terminally online edgeposter would explain so so much

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

We already knew this to be the case:

https://videocardz.com/newz/gpu-mining-farms-are-causing-power-outages-in-iran

quote:

According to El Chapuzas Informatico, an investigation by Iranian authorities has revealed that recent power outages in Iran have been caused by the growing popularity of mining farms in the country.

Chinese companies are reportedly moving their mining operations to Iran, where the electricity cost is 4 times lower than in mainland China (1.8 to 2.2 cents per kilowatt-hour)
. The country is now allegedly hosting 14 large mining farms that consume around 300 megawatts of power. This is comparable to the power consumption of a city with 100K inhabitants. According to research by the University of Cambridge, Iran is among the six popular destinations for mining farms in the world.

We receive photos with mining farms almost on a daily basis. Various companies specializing in selling mining equipment are eager to share their new batches of GeForce RTX 30 graphics cards when are then sold directly to miners. The source of these graphics cards is unknown, but it appears that neither board partners nor NVIDIA have any problem selling those cards to miners. So far we have not heard about any retail store or board partner being punished for taking part in this process.

The GPU mining craze has even affected the recently launched notebooks featuring new graphics cards from NVIDIA. Chinese miners are now reportedly buying laptops equipped with RTX 30 Laptop GPUs. No GPU is safe anymore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
bitcoins are so loving stupid

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It looks like China is going to move forward with the electoral reforms in HK, assumedly to stamp out most of the pro-dem groups and reassert their control over the region.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

It looks like China is going to move forward with the electoral reforms in HK, assumedly to stamp out most of the pro-dem groups and reassert their control over the region.

i guess they are breaking their promise to the british empire. hopefully Boris doesn't invade

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fleetwood posted:

once a year, President Xi invites Han overseers from the outlying barbarian hordes to evaluate cases for minority recognition as enlightened races to be absorbed into the hegemonizing swarm. Each year, these patriotic humanitarians return to the frontier to relay sad news to the despondent masses who turn their eyes West for comfort

Love getting hegemonized... inscrutably

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

China has until 2049 to fully integrate HK along any timetable they want, is that right? Or is there a schedule of guarantees?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
our people yearn to be hegemonized mr xi!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

China has until 2049 to fully integrate HK along any timetable they want, is that right? Or is there a schedule of guarantees?

The agreement with the UK was that China would leave HK's political and economic system alone until at least 2047.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol what’s england gonna do about it, make even more pedophile rings and destroy their own society and economy even harder? Lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Basically, the HK elites didn't hold their end of the bargain to pass article 23 like Macau did, so Beijing threw the promise of "no change for 50 years" out the window in response.

Frankly, I don't see why SAR government should give priority to HK region over the greater bay area. Everything should work toward GBA integration and the well being of the GBA from now on. I want to see 600kmph HSR run from HK to GZ; and people who is not in the financial industry live and work outside of HK proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

They gotta scrounged together 200 diplo points to core it first