Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

you intellectually know its warranted but upbringing has long lasting and deep effects

That is very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Here's the end-of-lockdown plans. Notice how first children and then young, healthy adults get to mingle en masse, long before those groups will be vaccinated, just like the last time we had to reverse course and do another lockdown.

loving Christ. Still on course to remain in my house as much as possible until after I've had my second jab.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

therattle posted:

I don't think that's really true. I genuinely don't believe that most criticism of Israel is based on antisemitism. It's all pretty much warranted. What I am not sure is warranted is what I have observed which is Israel being used as the epitome of an evil regime, and the sheer vitriol which other, equally deserving (at least in my view) states don't really seem to get. Like I said, I had a lot of Zionist indoctrination growing up, so perhaps I am seeing something that isn't there (but I don't think so) . And maybe I don't see that same vitriol applied to other states like Saudi as much because I don't move in those circles, or because Saudi isn't thought to be controversial in the same way so there isn't something to be reacted against. But that I am not convinced. Maybe I don't want to be.

Take it from someone who served in the IDF - that propaganda while you were young sticks with you for a while and takes something fairly drastic to dislodge in most cases. At the end of the day, it's possible that some people are latching on to Israel because they're antisemitic. In fact, it's almost 100% guaranteed that SOME people are doing that, but if they're making correct points, I can't really argue with them, y'know? You can't know a person's mind. If Toby Young makes a good point about how we should abolish the monarchy (he won't, it's an example, calm down thread) I'm not going to go 'ah but it's Toby Young, that fucker, so clearly we should KEEP the royals!' - I'm going to post this:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Here's the end-of-lockdown plans. Notice how first children and then young, healthy adults get to mingle en masse, long before those groups will be vaccinated, just like the last time we had to reverse course and do another lockdown.

loving Christ. Still on course to remain in my house as much as possible until after I've had my second jab.

It's the 210 daily deaths. Its just stated as such a matter of fact, don't think about it. "Today 210 people died, and some kittens played outside."

TWO HUNDRED AND TEN. In one day, for literally no reason. Twenty three people died in the Manchester Arena bombing and that is STILL (rightly) confided a massive tragedy. I'm so angry at this and utter lack of response from Media, Labour, other political parties, loving ANYONE. I'm just screaming into the void and then another day has passed and another two hundred people die.

I don't even know how to process and cope with this. There's no hope, nothing will change and at this point I'm just waiting for the world to end. Except I think it did end while ago, we're just catching up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also why do you even care if people hate a country? They won't let you gently caress the country if you stan it on the internet. You have to get elected for that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LordVorbis posted:

It's the 210 daily deaths. Its just stated as such a matter of fact, don't think about it. "Today 210 people died, and some kittens played outside."

TWO HUNDRED AND TEN. In one day, for literally no reason. Twenty three people died in the Manchester Arena bombing and that is STILL (rightly) confided a massive tragedy. I'm so angry at this and utter lack of response from Media, Labour, other political parties, loving ANYONE. I'm just screaming into the void and then another day has passed and another two hundred people die.

I don't even know how to process and cope with this. There's no hope, nothing will change and at this point I'm just waiting for the world to end. Except I think it did end while ago, we're just catching up.

You get past the despair eventually and then you feel quite peaceful again

There's nothing you can do about it, so try not to worry, just appreciate the time you have

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at the tories stoking inter-generational war even more by letting vaccinated boomers gently caress off on holiday while millennials still have to fear the virus

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao the current plan is to throw open weddings the day before ours is currently booked for. So that'll be completely impossible to plan and very expensive to move if these dates actually do come true.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 22, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LordVorbis posted:

It's the 210 daily deaths

The average over the last seven days was just under 500 dead every day

Trajectory looks like we'll be down to a mere hundred dead a day when we re-open and begin the process of loving everything up again 'cause we can't seem to learn the obvious lessons of the pandemic

Gort fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 22, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Ooh that looks good. I will try that on Wednesday.

I am probably cheating horribly and making shameful bagels - I throw the ingredients in the bread machine to make the dough, then form, boil and bake them on these molds - but they are 5x more delicious than the New York-brand ones I used to get in the UK, which in turn are 5x better than the "circle of polystyrene" ones they have here. I make that 25x better in total!

If you want truly authentic beigels, use honey instead of sugar for the initial yeast mix, and *carefully* add a tiny amount - about a half a teaspoon to 4 litres of water - of food-grade lye to the water you boil them in. This gives you the properly chewy inside/armour-plated outside texture that the mass-produced ones (which use steam for both proofing and cooking) can't replicate. Or as a compromise, because getting the dough right with honey is tricky and tipping massively corrosive chemicals into your food is nobody's idea of fun, put a shallow pan or baking tray full of water on the bottom shelf of your oven when you're baking so your oven fills with steam, which will get at least get you most of the outside crunchiness.

Also don't use that former thing, just roll them into snakes/willies depending on maturity level and double them over into a horseshoe shape, it's not like the hole actually adds anything.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/LincsLive/status/1363855569841508358

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

A bunch of people I follow on Twitter are really excited by this loosening of the lockdown, but I’m just feeling a sense of dread. Hopefully I’m wrong and the vaccines solve most of the problem by reducing transmission as well as morbidity and mortality, but I am not counting on it.

It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to see my mum til mid May, so that’s two birthdays I won’t have seen her, and 9 months without her seeing my daughter, but I’m even worried about that being too soon and too risky. I wonder if I’ve just been conditioned to view isolation as normal now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's not like the hole actually adds anything.

Mods?????

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ithinkitshassan/status/1363879606063935504

Gonna call him Boris the kafir from now on

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Mods?????

I mean by logical inference a hole can only subtract from something, not add to it, which is the basis of the book I will be writing for Caliper Press on the inherent inferiority of the female.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lady Gaza posted:

A bunch of people I follow on Twitter are really excited by this loosening of the lockdown, but I’m just feeling a sense of dread. Hopefully I’m wrong and the vaccines solve most of the problem by reducing transmission as well as morbidity and mortality, but I am not counting on it.

It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to see my mum til mid May, so that’s two birthdays I won’t have seen her, and 9 months without her seeing my daughter, but I’m even worried about that being too soon and too risky. I wonder if I’ve just been conditioned to view isolation as normal now.

Not at all, your reaction is perfectly reasonable and understandable.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly it looks like a more reasonable reopening plan than I expected. Gradual opening with 5 weeks between the major changes to assess if they're having a major detrimental impact.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

If we had a country full of people with your attitude we'd be better off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Gaza posted:

I wonder if I’ve just been conditioned to view isolation as normal now.

This is going to be an issue for a lot of people, I think. I get a slight jolt when I see crowds of people from the Before Times, just stuff like an old football match or even a picture taken in a pub where the fact that people are crowded in cheek-by-jowl is even weirder than the fact half of them are smoking. The other day I took a shortcut through the Canary Wharf shopping mall - normally pretty quiet at the weekend anyway and generally a ghost town the last year or so - and it was surprisingly crowded (for some reason the sun being out made everyone want to buy overpriced fruit tea judging by the >20-people queue for it) and I legitimately got the same weird spider-sense tingling that I used to get down there when it was completely empty.

I can see it being genuinely pretty scary the first time I find myself in a proper crowd, or on a bus or train with just a normal amount of people on it. In a weird way staggering the opening is going to be a good thing just for this - I think if I go from my current state of mind straight into a 60k crowd at the London Stadium (as it looks likely that next season will start with football grounds completely open) it'd probably break me.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
West Ham should continue the stadium supporters ban for the good of the club.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

peanut- posted:

Honestly it looks like a more reasonable reopening plan than I expected. Gradual opening with 5 weeks between the major changes to assess if they're having a major detrimental impact.

There's no way they reverse course once they've gotten people excited for the various dates, though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wasn't this part

An “events research programme”, with pilots to test the effects of larger crowds and/or reduced social distancing. This will start in April.

done extensively last year? In various countries including the UK? I'm sure I saw tests from last summer maybe where venues were looking at how many people they could allow in and the impact of it. I guess maybe it didn't give the right results or didn't funnel money to the right MP's company. Or, charitably, now more is known scientifically so it'll be a better test.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

West Ham should continue the stadium supporters ban for the good of the club.

Listen if they can hear or even see us from that distance they're just being overly sensitive, IMO.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
perfect

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1363876581983342593?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wasn't this part

An “events research programme”, with pilots to test the effects of larger crowds and/or reduced social distancing. This will start in April.

done extensively last year? In various countries including the UK? I'm sure I saw tests from last summer maybe where venues were looking at how many people they could allow in and the impact of it. I guess maybe it didn't give the right results or didn't funnel money to the right MP's company. Or, charitably, now more is known scientifically so it'll be a better test.

Between vaccines and prior infections, and whatever behaviour changes the last year have bought, the population being tested is arguably very different than the one tested last summer even if the people are the same.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I got the vaccine! Somehow! Don't ask how I, a 31 year old albeit with diabetes, got it before my dad in his mid 60s!

Actually was very impressed by the whole operation they had going at the vaccination centre, very smooth and quick. I've read quite a few horror stories about people getting super sick for a bit afterwards but mostly I just had a sore arm. Pfizer, in case anyone's wondering. Anecdotally the Astrazeneca one seems to be the one causing more intense side-effects (though ofc you should still get it).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Israel is criticised because it is a brutal apartheid regime, the same way that SA was criticised in the 80s.

That reminds me. Therattle, aren't you South African originally? What was it like growing up under Apartheid anyway? Genuinely curious.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is going to be an issue for a lot of people, I think. I get a slight jolt when I see crowds of people from the Before Times, just stuff like an old football match or even a picture taken in a pub where the fact that people are crowded in cheek-by-jowl is even weirder than the fact half of them are smoking. The other day I took a shortcut through the Canary Wharf shopping mall - normally pretty quiet at the weekend anyway and generally a ghost town the last year or so - and it was surprisingly crowded (for some reason the sun being out made everyone want to buy overpriced fruit tea judging by the >20-people queue for it) and I legitimately got the same weird spider-sense tingling that I used to get down there when it was completely empty.

I can see it being genuinely pretty scary the first time I find myself in a proper crowd, or on a bus or train with just a normal amount of people on it. In a weird way staggering the opening is going to be a good thing just for this - I think if I go from my current state of mind straight into a 60k crowd at the London Stadium (as it looks likely that next season will start with football grounds completely open) it'd probably break me.

I keep thinking that with the mask wearing (which is pretty well adhered to round my way - well in shops and with delivery persons etc anyway) - it's just normal now. I think I'll carry on wearing one for a long while anyway regardless of when Wales relieves lockdown.

There's an Igorrr gig in Bristol in December I want to see (mainly because I'm a huge fan of Laure Le Prunenec) and I'm umming and aahing (apart from not having been to a gig for a few years, and also wondering whether covid will be a distant memory or not by then!) - I don't want to buy a ticket yet in case the gig is cancelled and there's a fuss over refunds, but also don't want to wait too long in case it sells out.
And I'm also a bit jittery about getting in a big crowd again. Not been a big fan of large crowds anyway especially since studying fluid dynamics in crowds (see 'stampedes' at Hajj or various Hindu celebrations in India) in any case.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

The fact that Israel is used as a cudgel to attack the left doesn't fully explain (to me at least) why it is so hated. I acknowledge that I am probably alone in this thread in thinking that.
You have a good point in that the actions of Israel are really no more problematic than some other countries if you dig down deep enough into their foreign policy. What they're doing to the Palestinians is probably not as bad as what the Chinese authorities are doing to the Uighur people or have been doing for years in Tibet.

But you almost hit the nail on the head before with Saudi Arabia, saying that you criticise say the actions of their military in Yemen for example, and everyone goes "Yeah, Saudis bad."

The difference there is that there isn't a huge, weird countermovement that instantly interprets your criticism as really supporting a movement that wants all Saudis wiped off the face of the planet. You can criticise the actions of the Saudis without being accused of Islamaphobia, for example. You can criticise China in the same way, or Russia without getting the same kind of backlash from the Israel Defender logging on.

And even in that explaination I have to be careful to clarify that I mean Journos and weird twitter personalities, otherwise I'll be accused of implying that there's a secret plot to control the media and stifle criticism of Israel. Even though all governments involve themselves in nationalist messaging and have counterculture intelligence, if you even imply that Israel might be doing it, you fall foul of antisemitic tropes.

Now there is a unique historical context with Israel in terms of there being a valid reason to worry about people saying Jewish people have any kind of secret plots going on. But it also means that criticising Israel in particular becomes more difficult than criticism of other countries, which I think is why some people make such a huge case of protesting about it - they are more vocal and more passionate because they have to work so much harder to break through with that particular cause.

I think possibly the reason people on the left react so badly to the antisemitism stuff is precisely because centrists who only understand surface politics have created a situation where any criticism of Israel is taken as a criticism of Judaism, to the point that even left left-wing jews who say "no it loving isn't" instantly have their jewishness questioned.

It's harder and more complicated to criticise Israel, even when their current actions in the west bank have been criticised by the UN as illegal occupation because then you have David Bladdibub on twitter suggesting that what you really mean is [smug screeching noise].

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I've read quite a few horror stories about people getting super sick for a bit afterwards but mostly I just had a sore arm.

[two months later, ThomasPaine wakes up from a coma]

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

[two months later, ThomasPaine wakes up from a coma]

This would be ideal, honestly.

therattle posted:

The fact that Israel is used as a cudgel to attack the left doesn't fully explain (to me at least) why it is so hated. I acknowledge that I am probably alone in this thread in thinking that.

Nations always do shady poo poo and state formation is an inherently violent act wherever you go. I think it was Zizek who talks about Israel doing the same poo poo every state has ever done as it creates and defines itself, only for most countries in the twenty-first century that violent origin is obfuscated by romanticism and time and myth. Israel hasn't yet achieved that distance and legitimacy because its violent creation is ongoing and its character is very difficult to deny.

On the other hand, I personally find Israel particularly distasteful because it is pretty much the only extant nation that is explicitly an ethnostate. There are lots of racist states out there (all of Europe) and lots of them are ethnically homogenous, and places like the USA + other settler colonial places are similarly white supremacist but at least leave that as subtext and try to pretend they're not. I can't think of another country that just openly says 'we are the country for x ethnicity' like Israel does, and that makes me super uncomfortable, even moreso because so many people seem to see it as a good thing.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 22, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally I'm more worried about Saudi Arabia given their ties to global terrorism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lady Gaza posted:

I can't help but worry we are all so loving desperate to get out of lockdown that we're rushing into it far too early. The government already proved they care more about businesses and their bottom line than about people dying so their analysis is suspect, and the opposition don't know the meaning of the word oppose as apparently that doesn't come under forensic analysis.

I'm a pessimist by nature but the odds that we're not going to gently caress this all up seem slim considering it's Great Britain, the stupidest loving country in all the land. Of course we'll gently caress it up so Tim Wetherspoons can open up his pubs at 25% capacity for a couple months before we lockdown again.

At some point before too long we will just stop locking down and accept thousands of deaths a year as the cost of capitalism, and we'll all just go along with it because we're a nation of shopkeepers.

Of course I could being slightly melodramatic, that is the worst case scenario (well, aside from a viral mutation that is immune to all existing vaccines and also much more lethal, I guess that's the actual worst case, but the point is I'm being a bit of a catastrophist)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

stev posted:

Lmao the current plan is to throw open weddings the day before ours is currently booked for. So that'll be completely impossible to plan and very expensive to move if these dates actually do come true.

Yeah was getting very, very angry this morning about the probably premature reopening because I get married in the middle of August and was hoping with vaccination, currently dropping positive rates, and the summer lull we’d be able to go ahead with our wedding as planned and now they’re just going to gently caress it all up and have another surge in a months time and nothing will be sorted by then. Johnson and Starmer can both go jump in front of a train and do us all a favour

Noxville fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah my wedding got pushed a year to the end of October. Honestly wish we'd pushed it to 2022 at the time, but that would probably have crushed my missus pretty hard. Looks like a good shot it'll get pushed again either way, being an international wedding

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think "welp we did some vaccinations all we can do everyone who dies from now on is unavoidable" is the baseline attitude tbh, the expected outcome.

And the longer that goes unopposed the longer it will simply become accepted wisdom.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Re: Impostor syndrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X-812q_Jc

This is a good watch.

I can't remember if it specifically talks about impostor syndrome but it does talk about the nature of work, bullshit jobs, being given what is essentially busy work and having to pretend that it's not, which all ties into impostor syndrome.

Fact is most people are just blagging it and bullshitting and even if they are vaguely good or "talented" at what it is their job is supposed to be, most people are woefully bad at anything remotely outside of their small sphere of knowledge. Basically if you ever think "Oh god I'm an impostor, I'm just bullshitting all of this, I've tricked my boss into giving me money but I'm not producing anything of value!", realise that everybody else is bullshitting too, and that you should instead be thinking "yay! I've tricked my boss into giving me money even though I'm not producing anything of value!".

That this is the way the world of work is for a great deal of people now is not a personal failing on your part. We all have to justify to the economy gods why we deserve to get food and housing and utilities even if we convince them by doing something which provides no real value to anybody.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Re. Blue Labour the original premise was basically "social democracy, but for white people".

Ah, a sort of nationalist socialism.

Not even joking, socialism-bur-only-for-Aryans was part of the Nazi platform, KdF, Volkswagen etc. Its what made them different from regular old Conservatives.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Reading David Graeber helps with this too. Obviously Bullshit Jobs, but his other stuff as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find a very helpful way to recontextualize being told to do something utterly stupid is to say "I might be doing something extremely stupid but I'm getting paid to do it, someone else is actually paying so that this gets done lmao" and then you realize you are not even remotely the stupidest person.