Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Darthemed posted:

Popular Comics

YIPPITY DOODLE! Unmannered rogues run for shelter!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

That's a weird little bit of synchronicity isn't it?

F Minus

Mark Trail

That's a rather abrupt ending. I guess we still have Cherry's family to deal with though.

Mary Worth

Many dogs that have not been shot are also afraid of thunder.

The Phantom

Oh I guess that's where "the Trusted Man" comes from.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 11th, 1940

Axa

I'm liking the setting of this story, the tree-monster was cool, but so far this one feels unusually disjointed and Axa's being more thoughtless than normal.

Also it feels like Romero got antsy after the last story where she stayed mostly clothed, I might need to go and update that list I made earlier, this one might even tie the Sea Dome.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

God, the amount of work you put into translating these is ridiculous.
Thanks again for doing it, I really enjoy Mämmilä and the thread wouldn't have it if not for your efforts.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 2, 1933)

Peanuts (February 25, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft, featuring Chekhov's Ice Cube.

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 23, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 27-29, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (March 29-31, 1917 again, according to the Richmond paper)

Fun's fun, but history won't wait for much longer.

Dok's "Technological Solutions Only Get You So Far" Duck (June 19, 1913)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

amigolupus posted:

I think Mark Ten's just hanging back because Axa ordered him to, all because Dirk is an rear end in a top hat who wants to control who Axa is friends with.

He must be hanging way back because he's nowhere to be seen, and I'm pretty sure they climbed a mountain. She also seems to have forgotten all about him.

Vargo posted:

Wallace

"Carrots help you see in the dark better" was allied propaganda to hide the existence of radar from Germany.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sluggo is soc-lit-es

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Carrots help you see in the dark better" was allied propaganda to hide the existence of radar from Germany.
Vitamin A deficiency can cause night blindness, but yeah, unless you're already deficient then eating carrots won't do squat.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Please, tell us more about the boring mundane things you're going to do and not actually showing them in action.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

The view that carrots are good for the eyes is a notion still commonly held today. They do contain Vitamin A, a nutrient which helps contribute to healthy eyes, but it turns out the vegetables have a negligible effect on vision even if eaten in vast quantities. The Air Ministry deliberately fabricated the story to prevent the Germans from discovering the Allies’ invention and implementation of Airborne Interception RADAR units in their fighter planes. This new secret technology was the real reason British pilots always seemed to know when German planes were approaching.

https://www.damninteresting.com/curio/for-your-eyes-only/

It was also used as part of a national nutrition campaign to get Americans to eat more vegetables; malnutrition was the most common reason men were rejected from the draft.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster ROckit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Brewster ROckit Space Guy

I really liked Coca-Cola Blak... :(

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

catlord posted:

I really liked Coca-Cola Blak... :(

They just brought it back or at least something very similar.

https://us.coca-cola.com/products/coke-with-coffee/

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Mos Before Bros

This is the beginning of a new volume so Bechdel has a new batch of character bios in the front. I'll say that, weirdly, these little intros reflect where the characters are at the end of the book more than where they are at the start, so don't freak out that you missed a pregnancy. I'll spoil these just to be safe, also for nudity.

The first page is a bunch of gags about the ongoing commodification of queer culture in the early 90s-- for example ".01 Percent" is a riff on the Michigan-based "Ten Percent" which became "OutPost" in 1996 and ran until 2003, while "on our fax" is yet another joke on "off our backs." The joke behind all of these is the glut of high-end, gimmicky items marketed glibly towards a queer demographic, eg. the "Absolut Dildo" and "Absolut Trust Fund," based on the line of glossy Absolut vodka ads:

The Ginger/Sparrow/...Malika!?? household on the other hand is reading real stuff. The East West Journal is (was?) a naturopathy and new age-y health and lifestyle magazine founded in 1971, while The Nation is an extremely long-running progressive magazine founded in 1865. Kind of a fun juxtaposition between the very crunchy granola side of early 90s lesbian culture and the more hard-edged leftist pragmatic side. Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist is a comic strip by Diane DiMassa which debuted in 1991 and quickly found a loyal following among queer and punk comic fans. In recent years DiMassa has become markedly transphobic but for 1993 it's just a fairly hip reference and a tip of the hat to a fellow small-press lesbian cartoonist.

Hothead's adventures are much more over the top and cathartic than DtWOF's usual style but in the early 90s they were peers in a not yet very crowded field.

Anyway! Now that we're all reacquainted:
Dykes to Watch Out For #127 (late 1991)

Mo and Harriet's relationship issues continue to be a thread heading into 1992 although I think you can sense Bechdel kind of getting tired of the perpetual slow-burn fraying. This arc will come to a head pretty soon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Still no Dinette Set today.

Working Daze is a proven work method that never goes wrong.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix knows those kids won't enlist themselves!

Cul De Sac might need to start wearing eye protection.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

They just brought it back or at least something very similar.

https://us.coca-cola.com/products/coke-with-coffee/

Hm. I haven't seen that around, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Shame to hear about DiMassa because I quite like the look of Hothead Paisan.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
" Here, I brought you your DNA in a cup"

" Oh nice, thank you. I'll just sip on my steaming cup of DNA"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

catlord posted:

Hm. I haven't seen that around, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Shame to hear about DiMassa because I quite like the look of Hothead Paisan.

yeah, same. hothead paisan was my first exposure to queer comics when i was a kid. like, i couldn’t read about a woman who collects severed rapist dicks anywhere else

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

If your magic DNA potions work by simply drinking them, and you presumably created this one from the mermaid's previous DNA sample, then why wouldn't it still transform her? Nothing makes sense and I'm getting mad.

Also I keep thinking that John Arbuckle's hell would be as a side character in this comic strip.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Congratulations, Mr. Arbuckle. You are going to give birth to a fine, healthy litter of puppies.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Even if Luann is going off to see Tara (and she totally is), so what, Bernice? Who died and made you Luann's mom?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 9, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 19, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 4, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 29, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 29, 1935)

Dark Laughter (December 6, 1941)

“You big baboon, you think you can make me quit you don’t ‘cha? Well I ain’t see - not ’til after Christmas.”

Mopsy Sunday (September 7, 1947)

Those Were the Days (October 4, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 20, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 20, 1965)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Welcome to the club, friend. Welcome to the club.
Now appearing in Modesty Blaise, Axa!

B Kliban

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

(I joined this site twenty years ago to post snark and mostly-low-effort Photoshops, why change now)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
"Okay, Remora. Here's your original DNA."

Just putting that here so someone can search against that in the future. loving Holbrook.

Also, is anyone even remotely surprised that Buck and his kid bear more than a passing resemblance to Terry Beatty, the keeper of the Rex Morgan flame?

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 23, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jul 6, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 4-5, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 15, 2019)

(Apr 17, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Charlie Brown being a little poo poo is amazing.

It's like looking at pictures of someone before getting slammed with clinical depression

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Jul 6, 1952)

To me these ones feel very Calvin and Hobbes. Maybe it's the side view on the mouth as he runs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Johnny Aztec posted:

MARZIPAN: I came home from my toga-yoga class to find that my house had been broken into and that the culprit had left behind some DNA evidence.

STRONG SAD: What was it? Hair particles? Skin flakes? Blood crispies?

MARZIPAN: No, it was a little test tube just full of green DNA evidence.

STRONG SAD: Oh. Just like in the movies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

So this is a fun illustration of one of my big pet peeves regarding Korean culture misconceptions. You've probably heard that the Korean language uses honorifics. You've probably also heard from certain idiots that Korean honorifics are used to indicate hierarchical respect. And those of you who are really clever can probably guess that I tend to use "sir" or "ma'am" to indicate the presence of honorifics in the original Korean.

But as you notice here, unusually, both characters in the same conversation are using honorifics. This isn't an error on my part. Dharma and the cop are deliberately using them to maintain maximum professional respect so the other person doesn't accidentally interpret their comments as being overly aggressive. They both stop using honorifics in the second half of the cartoon because they've been talking long enough they're no longer worried about this.

Normally this aspect of everyday speech doesn't occur because usually only one person in any given conversation cares that much about being misinterpreted. In summary, Korean honorifics are almost entirely context dependent and don't actually say anything meaningful about Korean culture. Thanks for reading.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

I was looking up Washington's birthday and came across this:

Is Washington's birthday still a holiday in the United States? How do you celebrate it? Do you have cake?? :confuoot:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doll House Ghost posted:

Is Washington's birthday still a holiday in the United States? How do you celebrate it? Do you have cake?? :confuoot:

no we combined it with Lincoln’s to make Presidents’ Day and you celebrate by getting 0% APR on an auto loan

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And also "deals" on mattresses.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU