Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

END ME SCOOB posted:

Possibly of use to some folks in this thread: Playism is killing their storefront off in May, with the store shutting down in March. They aren't closing as a publisher and will still be offering product on Steam and other digital platforms, but have decided they don't need to maintain their own outlet anymore and if you don't get any downloads/OSTs/codes/etc from them prior to the shutdown, you've been warned. Perhaps dust off the credentials and triple-check that before it ends.

Wellllll poo poo, thanks for the heads up, never would have noticed that otherwise. Only place you can get One Way Heroics DRM-free! And until recently was the only place you could get Kero Blaster DRM-free too. Although it looks like the OWH downloads are 5 bugfix updates out of date on their store now...

If anyone owns One Way Heroics but never picked up the Plus DLC, I think this is an unused Steam key: NT***-8JFWJ-6RQW6 (the missing letters are what this is for. DownLoadable...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I didn't know OWH even had DLC, much less one that is basically a gigantic balance patch that makes the game much better. Thanks for that!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There's a couple changes I'm not crazy about, like food spoiling, but it's impressive how much it changes everything.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

Like everything they wanted to achieve about the game fell completely by the wayside because I was looking at it in terms of "how long with this take me and could it lead to me dying and making it harder?" to the point I don't care about any incidental encounters, have no desire to explore or seek out mystery, basically nothing in the game mattered at all to me other then finding ways to make the main quest go by faster.

Sounds like they achieved exactly what they wanted, actualy. They had ludonarrative consonance as one of their design goals and the approach of "gently caress everyone, I am just going to protect myself" is one of the expected results, according to interviews.

It certainly did contribute to the game's commervcial failure, as a lot of people came to Pathologic expecting a mystery/narrative game instead of a survival game with a narrative.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ZearothK posted:

Sounds like they achieved exactly what they wanted, actualy. They had ludonarrative consonance as one of their design goals and the approach of "gently caress everyone, I am just going to protect myself" is one of the expected results, according to interviews.

That's an emotional reaction that requires immersion into the world, which the survival meters didn't allow me to do. I agonized way more over who to give food to in that early camp scene in the first Walking Dead game, a purely narrative experience with no gameplay ramifications at all. To be clear, I consider that a failing not of the game but of my approach to it. It's not something I can necessarily control though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

It certainly did contribute to the game's commervcial failure, as a lot of people came to Pathologic expecting a mystery/narrative game instead of a survival game with a narrative.

The final thing for me to quit the game wasn't even risk vs. reward, I was right outside the house with all the meds and ended up on the wrong side of a fence from reading a map wrong and said "gently caress that, let him die" and realized I had just spent like 10 minutes prepping the meds and rushing over and stopped caring at the slightest hurdle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

I actually like the fights in SotS2. The armour penetration system is really cool (basically Breakout with lasers where armour piercing destroys a deep but thin line of blocks, and HE destroys more blocks but shallower), and you can do some really cool builds with it. Weapon lines of fire matter a lot.

Also, both SotS games have the best tech tree in the genre. There are extremely few +N% techs, almost all of them offer very concrete benefits.

When did you play SotS2? I’m wondering if it’s the kind of thing where it’s actually good now but people who played it at launch can’t enjoy it because of how broken it was for so long.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When did you play SotS2? I’m wondering if it’s the kind of thing where it’s actually good now but people who played it at launch can’t enjoy it because of how broken it was for so long.

It's still not good. The combat is a highlight but gently caress everything else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

It never got fixed or good, no.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The patch notes were great entertainment at least. So many divide by zero errors.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The combat portion of SotS 2 got patched up to workability pretty fast and was generally okay, though the art direction was kinda bad and super blurry

The entire rest of the game was the issue

There were many posts to the effect of "I'd totally buy a SotS spinoff that was just the combat portion of 2 and some kind fleet builder ala Gratuitous Space Battles"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
SotS2 never got fixed and there are some pretty bad balance problems. You can spend entire minutes on the tactical map trying to catch up to attacking fleets that are leisurely torching your planets, static defenses aren't even a speed bump, and so on.

The fights are really good when an engagement actually happens and there's a ton of variety and fun gear, but everything around it is terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would pay 60 bucks to take GalCiv II and replace the combat stuff with SOTS.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really like GalCiv but watching its hilariously poo poo combat sequences drives me up the wall.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I decided to aggregate all my game libraries with GOG Galaxy. How cruel do you have to be to insist that I should know my total cumulative number of hours played?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was SOTS2 never modded into playability? There were various mods for the first game, but I never heard of anything for the sequel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trickyblackjack posted:

I decided to aggregate all my game libraries with GOG Galaxy. How cruel do you have to be to insist that I should know my total cumulative number of hours played?

I dunno if my cumulative hours played would be more or less shameful than my total games owned and I don’t want to find out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you ever want to feel really sad, divide the number by twelve to obtain the number of entire days of your life that you spent doing nothing but playing video games. Twelve because you still need to sleep and using 24 will give you a skewed result.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Baldur's Gate 3 is rolling along. They added another class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtzgrQ1dULY

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wish I had something tracking the hours I played while I was working so I could see how much money I’ve made playing video games.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

Was SOTS2 never modded into playability? There were various mods for the first game, but I never heard of anything for the sequel.

SotS2 was almost impossible to mod in any meaningful way because most of the galmap mechanics (the source of most of the game's issues) were hardcoded and every time the game patched they would completely switch all the file structure around and change a bunch of names arbitrarily

If this sounds like Mecron deliberately sabotaging modding to you, well :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wish I had something tracking the hours I played while I was working so I could see how much money I’ve made playing video games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/3059603718064089441

quote:

Jupiter Hell 0.9.7 Expanse features larger moons, mid-point levels, new generators for second halfs of the moons, 4 new branches and 4 new special levels, much improved monster placement and lists, and on top of that a huge rework of traits! But before we go into detail - there’s an important announcement we need to make.

Full release date and new publisher

Jupiter Hell has been in Early Access for 18 months now, and we’ve been providing you with a - more or less - steady stream of updates featuring new content, bug fixes, polish, and implementations of your feedback. It’s about time we announce our full release plans.

With 5 more regular monthly updates to go, we’re getting ready to release Jupiter Hell 1.0 on the 5th of August, 2021. To make the most of the full release, we’re teaming up with Hyperstrange, the developer of ELDERBORN and POSTAL: Brain Damaged, who will assume the role of the publisher.

Hyperstrange are good old friends and great fans and supporters of Jupiter Hell. Their ELDERBORN is an Early Access success story, and we’re convinced that if an indie dev needs a publisher at all, they should bring some unique perspective and understanding to the table. Hyperstrange does. They’re already around our Discord, so if you have any questions for them - don’t hesitate to ask!

The first obvious question we can answer right here, right now: yes, we do have updates planned beyond the full release, which also aligns us with Hyperstrange, who also support and expand their games post-launch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Trying to decide whether or not I want Persona 5 S. I liked P5 but ended up not finishing it. Just surprised to see P5S on Steam.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Trying to decide whether or not I want Persona 5 S. I liked P5 but ended up not finishing it. Just surprised to see P5S on Steam.

Same. I liked it well enough but it was kind of exhausting and I tapped out around September, before the Hawaii trip. I do not know if I know enough to get on P5S

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

Same. I liked it well enough but it was kind of exhausting and I tapped out around September, before the Hawaii trip. I do not know if I know enough to get on P5S

I made it just a bit further than you did. P5S looks cool but if they didn’t fix the major pacing issues I think I’ll end up burning out on it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Pit is legitimately better, despite being a Kerberos production :colbert:

Actually gently caress if we're gonna talk 4xs Can't not mention THE FIRST Sword of the Stars either.

Absolutely gently caress Bees Wardell tho

sword of the stars: the pit is absolute dogshit

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why too much combat hurts great RPGs

Some interesting thoughts here.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was a bit confused for a bit why that article didn't mention Disco Elysium.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The guy does make good point that the problem isn't really the presence of combat so much as the pacing of the combat, and how many games seem to hold to a design philosophy of "the correct amount of combat encounters for a section is as many as you can fit in there, and no less."

There are a lot of games that I would not want to have no combat, because I like combat. I could do with less filler in a many of them, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I was thinking about that too. I think the best I can come up with is that we only consider DE an RPG because we don't really know what else to call it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Awesome! posted:

sword of the stars: the pit is absolute dogshit

So is Dungeon of the Endless :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Disco Elysium is an RPG alright, except instead of combat sections, it has interpersonal conflicts. When you're specifically talking about how common and varied combat should be in a game that has it, though, it's just a bad example to bring up because it doesn't really bring anything to the table except "so just don't have combat at all."

Orv
May 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I was thinking about that too. I think the best I can come up with is that we only consider DE an RPG because we don't really know what else to call it.

Perpetual gently caress-up simulator

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

No Planescape: Torment, either?

E: I think that it's a good point that there is often a dissonance between the narrative and combat components of RPGs, but many players don't play solely for the narrative - the combat is a large portion of the mechanical game that they want to engage with. PS Torment is a great example because the combat is basically vestigial - it has a bunch of complicated combat systems but there's so little combat there's no real reason to engage with them. If we scale back the combat in an RPG, the systems should be scaled back appropriately as well and that might not be what many people are looking for!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

the article's from 2015 :v:

planescape is a weird omission though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stickman posted:

No Planescape: Torment, either?
Planescape Torment had tons of combat and it's a common opinion among RPG fans that much of it was super annoying, so I'd personally call it an example of a game that mostly sticks out doing combat encounters really badly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Planescape Torment had tons of combat and it's a common opinion among RPG fans that much of it was super annoying, so I'd personally call it an example of a game that mostly sticks out doing combat encounters really badly.

I must be misremembering. I remember it having much, much less combat that other infinity engine games, but that made the remaining combat annoying because there's really no continuous engagement with the combat systems - basically the combat felt vestigial because so much of the focus was on the narrative that the infinity combat systems were no longer a good fit. It's been a long time since I played it, though!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 22, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stickman posted:

I must be misremembering. I remember it having much, much less combat that other infinity engine games, but that made the remaining combat annoying because there's really no continuous engagement with the combat systems. It's been a long time since I played it, though!
Combat was somewhat backloaded. You could explore most of Sigil (with the exception of a few dedicated dungeons) with relatively few fights, only to run into a bunch of filler bullshit in the later half of the game. IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

IIRC Torment has like 3 combat encounters that you 100% have to do and cannot avoid in any way, everything else you could in theory either talk yourself out of, stealth past, or simply ignore and run away, depending on the encounter

In practice doing the last two all the time gets old real fast because there are a lot of enemies to run from that prevent you from doing whatever it is you're there for