Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Had a major hankerin for a club sandwich for ages now

10 HELL
20 YES
30 GOTO 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Had a major hankerin for a club sandwich for ages now

I didn't know you were a member!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’ll take some nice brothy mussels and crusty bread any day.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mussels are tasty but they're the pistachios of seafood. takes too much effort for me to ever wanna bother eating them

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
The broth and bread is worth it though. Looks dank

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't understand. They open when they're ready and pull out of the shell easy enough. Shrimp or any arthropod takes way more effort to clean and cook. Almost every other bivalve works the same as mussels so I'm just utterly confused.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

mussels are tasty but they're the pistachios of seafood. takes too much effort for me to ever wanna bother eating them

This seems insanely lazy, but maybe i am too close with food to be objective here.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes mussels and clams are really tiny so I get it. But if it slows my gluttony down then that's a positive for me

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Never thought mussels were anymore of a pain to cook than clams or shrimp. Most of the ones I get at markets around here are already debearded, so you don’t even have to worry about that. I just give them a little soak to get any sand off and then put them in the pot with my broth. Nothing to it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

my gripe is less from a cooking perspective and more from the perspective of i always find it weird to enjoy a plate of food where i have leftover, inedible stuff to bother with.

see also: chicken wings, oranges, shrimp, and... god forbid... lobster/crab legs

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

my gripe is less from a cooking perspective and more from the perspective of i always find it weird to enjoy a plate of food where i have leftover, inedible stuff to bother with.

see also: chicken wings, oranges, shrimp, and... god forbid... lobster/crab legs

But why is it weird?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's food. Peppers and chilis have seeds and stems, nuts have shells, peas and beans have pods, fur, scales, bones and cartilage, squash skins, citrus rinds, avocado pits, stone fruit stones, fuckin teeth and nails of all kinds.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Waterbed Wendy posted:

But why is it weird?

i fully accept that i'm the weird one in the scenario and not the natural byproducts of food. just been picky since i'm a kid, i guess. i kinda hate getting my hands dirty/messy so food you touch with your hands should be wrapped in something edible (tacos, hamburgers, etc) or eaten with a utensil.

sorry for the derail!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

i fully accept that i'm the weird one in the scenario and not the natural byproducts of food. just been picky since i'm a kid, i guess. i kinda hate getting my hands dirty/messy so food you touch with your hands should be wrapped in something edible (tacos, hamburgers, etc) or eaten with a utensil.

sorry for the derail!

It's ok! Thanks for answering and being a chill friend while doing it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Waterbed Wendy posted:

But why is it weird?

Completionism is a hell of a drug.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

So use a bowl for the empty shells to get them off your plate?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, crawfish come with an empty bucket for a reason.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Okay I’ll admit after I cook lobster or a load of clams in the middle of the summer, you have to kind of worry a little bit what you do with the shells.

You don’t want to just dump them in your trash and have them rot in the hot sun for a week before the garbage truck comes. So I usually just double bag whatever shells I have leftover and throw them in my freezer until garbage day. Problem solved.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For me, a mussel is a delicious little lump of meat in its own spoon full of butter and garlic

mmmmm

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Okay I’ll admit after I cook lobster or a load of clams in the middle of the summer, you have to kind of worry a little bit what you do with the shells.

You don’t want to just dump them in your trash and have them rot in the hot sun for a week before the garbage truck comes. So I usually just double bag whatever shells I have leftover and throw them in my freezer until garbage day. Problem solved.

i do cook shrimp occasionally bc it's delicious (and my dad is deathly allergic, so eating it feels like a "gently caress you" back at nature), but i also worry about it sitting in my trash until it's time to empty. i double bag it as well but now i'm realizing i can probably save them for stock? :thunk:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like mussels because they're tasty and easy to cook and also they're suprisingly cheap compared to other things like oysters.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Get composting, its a great way to get rid of the stuff you can't eat. Also if you're lucky enough to have chickens they will est most of that and give you delicious eggs in return.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

check out the guy who lives in infinite space land

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Made some [gluten free] pasta today! GF dough is tough to work with compared with regular wheat flour dough, but drat this pasta was worth the effort.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Made some [gluten free] pasta today! GF dough is tough to work with compared with regular wheat flour dough, but drat this pasta was worth the effort.

I assume it has eggs in it? It seems like that would be pretty hard to get to work without gluten.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That looks great. GF noodle dough is so tough to work and easy to miss on the hydration. But compared to box GF noodles they’re so much better. I make them often when I visit my parents and it takes way more practice
than wheat flour noodles.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

mystes posted:

I assume it has eggs in it? It seems like that would be pretty hard to get to work without gluten.

It is a serious pain in the rear end.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Burgers for dinner.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

that burg and those fries look delicious, but can we talk about where lettuce and tomato "belong" in the burger totem pole?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ShoogaSlim posted:

that burg and those fries look delicious, but can we talk about where lettuce and tomato "belong" in the burger totem pole?

They belong in a salad, on the side, of a different meal.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lettuce/onion goes under to prevent soggy bun.

Tomatoes go where I feel at the moment.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
from bottom to top, the correct order is:

bottom bun with a thin layer of mayo to prevent sogginess
lettuce to further protect bread from soggy, and it better be dry
patty
cheese
patty
cheese
pickles (or, if you wanna be an allstar, use relish instead so you can spread it around and get that pickly goodness in every bite)
tomato
other topings (mushrooms, onions, bacon, whatever)
other condiments
top bun with a thin layer of mayo to prevent sogginess from other condiments & heat rising

thank you for coming to my burg talk

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've always thought of them as toppings. Toppings do not go on the bottom.

Also: if you toast your bun and use mayo on the bottom, you won't need lettuce to stop the sogging.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Everything that isn't cheese, burg, or bun should go on the bottom

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Drunken Noodles! I’m getting very efficient at making these.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Everything that isn't cheese, burg, or bun should go on the bottom

Wait so the lettuce and tomato and onion and pickle are under the bottom bun too? But you still pick it up and eat it as a unit right?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Wait so the lettuce and tomato and onion and pickle are under the bottom bun too? But you still pick it up and eat it as a unit right?

Under the bottom bun? I'm not saying toss a bun w/ a burg in it on top of a salad.

Bottom bun, all your poo poo, meat/cheese/meat/cheese, top bun

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Under the bottom bun? I'm not saying toss a bun w/ a burg in it on top of a salad.

Bottom bun, all your poo poo, meat/cheese/meat/cheese, top bun

Thank you for clearing that up, I was worried for you

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I like meat on top of the salad so the meat juices dresses the tomato, onion lettuce etc although if the onions are fried or caramelised they should go on top of the patty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

I like meat on top of the salad so the meat juices dresses the tomato, onion lettuce etc although if the onions are fried or caramelised they should go on top of the patty

This makes sense.