Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://medialibrary.climatecentral.org/resources/power-outages

https://www.frsafety.com/blog/Blackout-Risk-Tool-Puts-Price-Tag-Power-Reliability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The first is interesting, but the second almost exactly corresponds to state population.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Isn't the second one roughly "States colored by GDP"?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

yeah, would greatly prefer a version of that showing % of GDP lost. or business losses vs. investment in electrical infrastructure : V

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

There was a fine for premarital sex in Denmark (and Norway) until 1813, and if you couldn't pay the fine, you'd go to jail. For extramarital sex, the punishment could include death.

Not that it stopped people, but it definitely was frowned upon

Out of curiosity, when did the fine for premarital sex start? I'm betting 15th or 16th century at the earliest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Epicurius posted:

Out of curiosity, when did the fine for premarital sex start? I'm betting 15th or 16th century at the earliest.

It's actually mentioned a few times in the medieval codes, such as Gutalagen (1220) and Jyske Lov (1241). These codes were kind of a confusing list of quite specific examples, that I believe were examples of prior judgments at the things (assemblies), so-called causistic law based in customary law. I'm unsure exactly how they worked for lejermål (as premarital sex was called) in practice, but it appears to have been more of a civil matter of paying restitution to the family/guardian of the woman, not a fine to the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Scandinavian_law

Jyske Lov mentions lejermål all of three times. It specifies that a woman 18 years of age can demand at the thing that their guardian allow them to be married, and if he refuses and she sleeps with a man, she is not to lose her inheritance, but the guardian may sue the man for lejermål at the thing. Also, women can only become pregnant if they enjoyed the sex and then it won't count as rape and also it was not possible to sue for lejermål.

http://ribewiki.dk/da/En_broder_kan_ikke_beholde_en_s%F8ster_ugift_hos_sig,_s%E5_l%E6nge_han_vil
http://ribewiki.dk/da/Hvis_en_kvinde_bliver_voldtaget

Christian V's Danish Law of 1683 is more detailed and lists several types of extenuating and aggravating circumstances, and the fines were now paid to the authorities. There was also the public confession at the local church, which was abolished in 1767.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Code

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Early modern Iceland had really strict incest laws (I Know right?) For example s woman having children with two brothers she herself wasn't related to was considered incest and punishable by death as was having sex with your sibling's spouse. And of course if a father or stepfather raped his daughter they'd both be executed for incest. He'd be decapitated and she'd be drowned.

Regular adultery or pre-marital sex was only punished by a fine or at worst a whipping so a lot of people had a whole bunch of bastards. To this day the standard operating procedure for relationships in Iceland is:
-Meet shitfaced in a nightclub or bar
-Have sex
-Move in
-Have a few kids
-Maybe get married I dunno. Probably in a church even if no one under 60 is actually religious.
-Split up
-Meet someone new
-Have more kids

Repeat as needed

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 23, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I think most of those in-law-incest-laws are in the 1683 code.

Any sexual relationship within three generations whether by blood or by marriage were considered blodskam (incest).

W-what are you doing, son of my father's brother's wife's sister?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the population then was under 50,000, so it'd be easier to produce an approved list of who you could have sex with.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Early modern Iceland had really strict incest laws (I Know right?) For example s woman having children with two brothers she herself wasn't related to was considered incest and punishable by death as was having sex with your sibling's spouse. And of course if a father or stepfather raped his daughter they'd both be executed for incest. He'd be decapitated and she'd be drowned.

Regular adultery or pre-marital sex was only punished by a fine or at worst a whipping so a lot of people had a whole bunch of bastards. To this day the standard operating procedure for relationships in Iceland is:
-Meet shitfaced in a nightclub or bar
-Have sex
-Move in
-Have a few kids
-Maybe get married I dunno. Probably in a church even if no one under 60 is actually religious.
-Split up
-Meet someone new
-Have more kids

Repeat as needed

I think you forgot two steps:
-agree on acceptable levels of being cousins
-check your level of being cousins*

I believe these can be either before or after sex.

*Based on who was officially the father

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might as well trundle this out.

There's a lot of states with exceptions in there, and it turns out that the laws about cousin marriage get really granular. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States#Summary

It seems like the most common exceptions are for old, infertile cousin couples, so either it's just concerned with genetic defects, or it's some kind of weird legal hack for elderly people trying to look after their extended family?

There's also this map of when cousin marriage was outlawed in various states. I don't know how useful that data is.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map-of-the-United-States-Showing-States-with-Laws-Forbidding-First-Cousin-Marriage_fig1_23698689

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Was there some particular reason for outlawing it? For the ones after 1900 I imagine it was eugenics-y genetic health stuff but before that was it just people thinking "this is gross"? Was there a big scandal or something related to it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In some cases, it goes back to the old testament (Leviticus 18:6-18). The three generations of Danish code of 1683 (which goes out to 2nd cousins) was for sure an attempt at generalizing Leviticus. You can marry your 1st cousin now if you want, tho.

The map of when it was outlawed in various states would be more useful it it also showed when they became territories/states.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 23, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My family is from places where there used to be a minimum 7 generation distance before it's not considered gross to date someone (also, spiritual kinship like godparents 4 generations away). It's generally seen that way in a much broader area, but in those specific places it was actually socially enforced. Makes sense if you live in a bunch of isolated mountain villages (and you have the Habsburgs as a consistent reminder of how things can go horribly, horribly wrong, some of my great...grands served as bodyguards for Austrian nobility and brought back the horror tales) One of my greatgreat*grandparent couples caused a huge scandal just by having the same surname before marriage, despite not having any ancestor in common within church records, and I know of a couple from that same general area who cancelled their wedding when they found out a single shared ancestor 6 generations away. The taboo has weakened since, but we've still generally got an intense revulsion towards it from our upbringing.

edit: *miscounted greats

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 23, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

In some cases, it goes back to the old testament (Leviticus 18:6-18). The three generations of Danish code of 1683 (which goes out to 2nd cousins) was for sure an attempt at generalizing Leviticus. You can marry your 1st cousin now if you want, tho.

And a lot of the old testament stuff is actually just good ideas dressed up as god's ideas for authority. The Israelites probably knew about inbreeding (at least from the Pharaohs) and wanted to avoid that, so they turned out into a religious law. It's like not eating shellfish, it has a good chance of being spoiled if you live in a desert, so it's easiest to just completely avoid it.

I'm also gonna argue that any opposition against adult incest is derived from essentially eugenics.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BonHair posted:

I'm also gonna argue that any opposition against adult incest is derived from essentially eugenics.

i'd prefer you not

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

BonHair posted:

There's a tweet that argues exactly this and it's one of my favourite posts on the birdsite because it's just… top-tier trolling.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

yikes! posted:

i'd prefer you not

Eh, the only reason to actually think it's gross is because [Hapsburg] is the eventual outcome. And that's basically eugenics, avoiding undesirable offspring.

Don't get me wrong though, I think incest is gross as hell and should be avoided. It's a tiny bit of eugenics in much the same way as getting an abortion if the fetus has down's is.

I also think gay/geriatric/infertile incest is gross, but there's no real reason for it honestly. No harm done to anyone and it's all consenting adults. It's just culturally weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't believe I'm a eugenicist because I don't want to gently caress my sister.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BonHair posted:

Eh, the only reason to actually think it's gross is because [Hapsburg] is the eventual outcome. And that's basically eugenics, avoiding undesirable offspring.

Don't get me wrong though, I think incest is gross as hell and should be avoided. It's a tiny bit of eugenics in much the same way as getting an abortion if the fetus has down's is.

I also think gay/geriatric/infertile incest is gross, but there's no real reason for it honestly. No harm done to anyone and it's all consenting adults. It's just culturally weird.

you really don't have to discuss everything you have an opinion on on the internet

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

You don’t really know that there’s no harm done, plus the consent issue is not at all clear.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You don’t really know that there’s no harm done, plus the consent issue is not at all clear.

If there's no consent we're automatically into rape territory, which is pretty clearly bad.

But yeah, this is probably the dumbest possible hill to die on. Incest is bad and wrong, I'm just being an edgelord. Do not have sex with your family.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Let us all form an internet pact: we will not now, nor ever in the future, try to perform horny on our extended families. *spits into palm*

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

If there's no consent we're automatically into rape territory, which is pretty clearly bad.
My point was that there might be power dynamics at play, similar to say between a teacher and a student. As well as social dynamics afterward that could significant harm, or create a power dynamic that puts you into the first category.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Posting a map in the map thread: population growth (vækst) in Denmark 2019 by county. Spot the cities:

Source in Danish: https://www.dst.dk/da/Statistik/Publikationer/VisPub?cid=29444

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Very topical that whatever happened to Maine in that map is apparently a deformity brought on by inbreeding.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Badger of Basra posted:

Was there some particular reason for outlawing it? For the ones after 1900 I imagine it was eugenics-y genetic health stuff but before that was it just people thinking "this is gross"? Was there a big scandal or something related to it?

one of those weird, pointless facts i have lodged in my brain is that apparently the rate of genetic defects in the offspring of first cousins is comparable to or even less than that of the offspring of (non-cousin) parents where the mother is over 40

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Curious myself so looked into it and apparently there where two prominent figures who started publishing some stuff against cousin-marriage in the mid 1850's, Dr Samuel Merrifield Bemiss of the AMA and Reverend Charles Brook of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, that won over prominent scientists of the era to oppose it - sort of a pre-Darwin hereditary argument:

"Dr S.Bemiss, Report on the Influence of Marriages of Consanguinity upon Offspring; 1858" posted:

It will be perceived that parental infirmities are entailed with great certainty upon the offspring, and this, in the opinion of the reporter, constitutes the strongest argument against the intermarriage of relatives; the fact that family peculiarities, tendencies, and infirmities, either of mind or body, which may be so slight on the part of parents as to remain latent, become so exaggerated by this ‘intensifying’ of the same blood, that they are in the child prominent and ruinous defects.

Brook, who was a passionate abolitionist, while in line with the above seemed to specifically be a bit more concerned with the development of "caste" and cited examples of "where blood relations have intermarried much, in order to keep the property in the family" which seems like a quasi-republican distaste for a degenerate aristocratic practice. He wrapped up a 1856 article on the subject with this which reads simultaneously like proto-eugenics and a patriotic pamphlet:

quote:

Will not our country furnish the most wonderful example of the effects of intermarriages with different castes of the Caucasian race? When the people of these United States become a mixture of English, Scotch, Irish, Germans, and French, will they exhibit a strength of body and an intelligence of mind, a true inborn energy and moral power, which do not equally signalize either of the nations from whom they sprang? Under the fostering care of a truly republican and Christian government, will they advance in science, arts, agriculture, commerce, and manufactures, and all the blessings of a religious civilization and political equality, as no one of their parent nations has? Let us hope that it is the appointed destiny of our free and prosperous land, to exhibit a higher development of human attributes than has yet blessed or astonished mankind.

Meanwhile in Britain there where fiery debates in parliament about whether marrying your dead wife's sister should be legal - kind of demonstrating how the moral/biblical argument against incest was still setting policy

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Meanwhile in Britain there where fiery debates in parliament about whether marrying your dead wife's sister should be legal - kind of demonstrating how the moral/biblical argument against incest was still setting policy

That's interesting, wasn't the story of Onan that he was basically forced to marry his dead brothers wife? I get that the gender difference is probably significant, but it seems like the wrong way round in terms of power structure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He jizzed on the floor and god killed him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

He shoulda jizzed in his brother's wife

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: Eh, that one's not politically loaded. This one, howerever, is:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

my dad posted:

One of my greatgreat*grandparent couples caused a huge scandal just by having the same surname before marriage, despite not having any ancestor in common within church records

Until like the 1990s this was illegal in Korea too, which is extra fun when most of your population has one of three surnames.

Pretty sure it’s one of those things that came from Confucian influence, so I imagine the same is true in China. In Silla in antiquity, the highest social caste required both parents to be born of it too, so incest was kind of a necessity; that caste eventually wound up extinct because of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My last common ancestor with Björk (the singer) is Guðmundur Stefánsson (1706-1782) farmer on the farm Strönd in the Landeyjar region of southern Iceland. Which makes us 9th cousins I think?.

Am I allowed to gently caress Björk or is it incest?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

BonHair posted:

That's interesting, wasn't the story of Onan that he was basically forced to marry his dead brothers wife? I get that the gender difference is probably significant, but it seems like the wrong way round in terms of power structure.

I'm not sure of the scriptural foundation but the church of england considered it incest for a long time and would annul any marriages found to be between a man and his deceased wife's sister - The government decided this was just inefficient so they straight up banned marriage that met the Anglican definition of incest (which excluded marrying your cousin) in 1835.

This led to decades of campaigning with people saying where in the bible does it say i can't gently caress my dead wife's sister and very moral upright Victorians saying it was morally repugnant.

They eventually legalized it in 1907

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

My last common ancestor with Björk (the singer) is Guðmundur Stefánsson (1706-1782) farmer on the farm Strönd in the Landeyjar region of southern Iceland. Which makes us 9th cousins I think?.

Man I work here and they won’t even let me gently caress the Björk.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

And a lot of the old testament stuff is actually just good ideas dressed up as god's ideas for authority.

idk arguing that rape isn't really rape if it happens outside of the city walls is p hosed up

I mean in a preliterate desert civilization a lot of the ideas in the Old Testament make some sense but people who use the OT today as a moral guideline are universally bonkers, it's like you'd try to live a 21st century life based on the ethics of the Iliad or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

It's a tiny bit of eugenics in much the same way as getting an abortion if the fetus has down's is.

People don’t abort for the good of the race.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

You have my permission to gently caress Bjork, with her consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eww that goon wants to gently caress their cousin, and that other goon wants them to gently caress their cousin too!