Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i mean, ultimately you're going to do you, because 1) we're just dudes on the internet and you know your situation, and 2) i was 19 not long ago and i wouldn't have listened to me giving this advice. but i also flushed a dumb amount of money down the drain insuring a new car with an at-fault on my record without much to show for it and figured i'd chime in and suggest not doing that. but hey, i also didn't have parents that work in insurance, so you may have angles i didn't have

but seriously, you can pay cash for something that will do everything you said above you need it to do for the price of some diy preventative maintainance. flushing fluids and replacing a timing belt beats lighting a couple thousand bucks a year on fire

e: and, like, it doesn't have to look like poo poo. there's plenty of cars out there that sell for 75% of blue book for mere want of a detail, that are just dirty and need a little paint correction and new bumper covers. especially if you live in a state where you don't have to worry about smogging it

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Trying to persuade someone not to buy a Subaru in the Subaru thread is kinda..... weird.

To be fair, they're 19, just totaled their car, and are looking at 10+ year old vehicles.

Absolutely no shade. I remember what was like to be 19. And I remember hating people giving me suggestions that I didn't want to hear. I just get the feeling that they like Subarus and went straight to this thread and thought it might be useful for them to get another opinion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

To be fair, they're 19, just totaled their car, and are looking at 10+ year old vehicles.

Absolutely no shade. I remember what was like to be 19. And I remember hating people giving me suggestions that I didn't want to hear. I just get the feeling that they like Subarus and went straight to this thread and thought it might be useful for them to get another opinion.

On the other hand if you are 19 and looking at 10+ year old vehicles, a Subaru actually is a really good choice - no personal bias on this one! The NA Subarus made in the last 15 years just runs forever and are really good for young drivers to just run about in. Which tends to be reflected in the price of second hand Subies so you could in all fairness find a more upspec Hyundai for the same price but hey, Subarus are a marquee that have long had high resale values

And to be fair I'm more on the train of get a 20 year old shitbox and learn to maintain it buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.......

landgrabber posted:

i don't fix cars or know the first thing about doing it or have anyone to teach me how to do it. i have a single mom. the most complicated tool we own is a set of regular pliars, or maybe one of those multi-bit screwdrivers. the closest i get to anything auto related is using a set of feeler gauges... to setup my guitar.

Thats a fair consideration and honestly, even more a good reason to look at lower spec Crosstreks if you are set on a Subaru. Not flashy, not fast, just a decent CUV that just runs and can be easily found in good condition second hand.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Get your catless exhausts and EDR deletes while you still can, it looks like EPA is planning on cracking down on those next. The EPA slapped a 3 million dollar fine on Rallysport Direct.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/productio...tZ3u4iHCUk-GsrQ

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Oof, that sucks. I wonder if high flow catted downpipes will be under fire? They are generally not CARB certified and I’d guess they are dirtier than OEM (both of my cars with them definitely have a bit more exhaust smell than a stock car).

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like they could continue sales if they explicitly label their wares for non public roadway use only, as the Clean Air Act specifically states a motor vehicle, by definition, is for use on public roads or highways.

This is a settlement for which none of the companies listed as defendants admit any guilt or wrong doing so they can legally say they haven't done anything wrong in future proceedings.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

net work error posted:

Get your catless exhausts and EDR deletes while you still can, it looks like EPA is planning on cracking down on those next. The EPA slapped a 3 million dollar fine on Rallysport Direct.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/productio...tZ3u4iHCUk-GsrQ

Or don't be a dick and contribute to the problem the Environmental Protection Agency is trying to stem...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Or don't be a dick and contribute to the problem the Environmental Protection Agency is trying to stem...

any aftermarket bullshit that an extreme minority of drivers are putting on their fast cars ain't poo poo compared to corporate carbon emissions. same thing with recycling.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Incidentally, my dead battery did kill the emissions codes. Hopefully the driving in the last few days has fixed that. Presumably I can use the code reader to check that before going back, otherwise it's just gonna be finger-crossing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

landgrabber posted:

any aftermarket bullshit that an extreme minority of drivers are putting on their fast cars ain't poo poo compared to corporate carbon emissions. same thing with recycling.

Yeah.....the stat is that 16 panamax oil tankers cause as much pollution (running on bunker fuel) as every other car in the world combined. And there are a lot more than 16 ships of that size.

What the EPA is doing for specialty parts is slightly less useful than Californian homes being put under water restrictions when the vast, vast majority of their water is being used to irrigate net trees that someone planted in the middle of a loving desert.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

2013 BRZ

I was driving around a little yesterday and after about a half hour I started hearing some whining under the hood. The noise was dependent on the RPM, but not gearing or clutch in/out, so I was thinking alternator/belt/or some pulley rather than throwout bearing. When I looked under the hood I saw this growth:

The negative terminal looked ok. From what I read the blue stuff is caused by overcharging, and then contributes to difficulty in charging? Since its winter and we're still in lockdown I don't drive much, maybe 2-4 20 minute drives per week, I know that can contribute to the battery not getting fully recharged. I haven't had any issues starting yet and I'm going to clean up the terminal this weekend, but I guess I'm trying to figure out what the cause of this would be, like did the blue stuff happen first which is leading to the alternator having to work extra, or is the alternator charging too much helping create the blue stuff. The battery is from 10/19 so I hope it isn't bad yet.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Clean the top of the battery, and clean that corrosion off. Baking soda and water works for the corrosion, and just wipe the battery off with a dry towel.

You can buy anticorrosion spray at an auto parts store, or if you have a shop you use see if they can spray the terminals quick. Could also have the battery/alternator tested, just to make sure nothing is wrong. Subaru puts kinda crappy OE batteries in their cars, sadly.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

deleting cats makes you an rear end in a top hat

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Whew. EVAP and O2S were still incomplete. Got the O2S readiness monitor completed, and EVAP didn't matter since you can have one incomplete.

Edit: Super-weird thing, though, that I forgot to mention: my windows stopped working briefly. The driver's side wouldn't auto up or down, and I had to hold the button. None of the other windows worked from the driver's side at all; the passenger side would go up and down from its own switch but also would not auto up or down. I toggled the window lock button a few times and the driver's side then began to auto up and down and would open the other windows, but auto up/down still didn't work on the passenger side, either from the driver's side buttons or the ones on the door. I used the buttons on the passenger side door to open it the whole way, then close it the whole way ... and now everything works.

Seriously, what the gently caress just happened there?

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 26, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

deleting cats makes you an rear end in a top hat

what about on my racecar :ohdear:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The one thing that makes me sad about cats is I’ve always wanted a car that shoots fire. Planning on running cats on my build but I fully intend to be sad that it won’t shoot fire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

A lot of racing series it's mandatory to have cats if the car came with them especially if there is an on-road component. Also with the high-flo cats that are now availible that dont make much if any real dent in hp, not really much excuse to be catless :)

Or go E85.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Sadi posted:

The one thing that makes me sad about cats is I’ve always wanted a car that shoots fire. Planning on running cats on my build but I fully intend to be sad that it won’t shoot fire.

You can still shoot a little fire with cats as long as you have a pretty free flowing exhaust. My car has an Invidia catted downpipe, and at the end of a pull there is a small pop and flash from the overrun. It’s visible from both tailpipes at night and just the right one during the day (likely because there is a bit more volume to get to the left one). There is a bit more on the track tune because it is a touch richer and has a little less timing.

And yeah it’s not that rich lol, the soot all over the bumper is from the break-in tune.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A lot of racing series it's mandatory to have cats if the car came with them especially if there is an on-road component. Also with the high-flo cats that are now availible that dont make much if any real dent in hp, not really much excuse to be catless :)

Or go E85.

Not mine! But I acknowledge that rally cars must be compliant with public roadway laws and as the Impreza was designed for rally, it should always be catted

The only reason mine isn't is because my shitbox cat rusted off and straight pipe was the cheapest exhaust I ever built

E: I am welding on a muffler for this season however because straight pipe is just outrageously loud, wearing ear plugs and still thinking "wow this car is loud" is too loud

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think all Subarus should have the quietest exhaust possible, because they sound stupid.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Whew. EVAP and O2S were still incomplete. Got the O2S readiness monitor completed, and EVAP didn't matter since you can have one incomplete.

Edit: Super-weird thing, though, that I forgot to mention: my windows stopped working briefly. The driver's side wouldn't auto up or down, and I had to hold the button. None of the other windows worked from the driver's side at all; the passenger side would go up and down from its own switch but also would not auto up or down. I toggled the window lock button a few times and the driver's side then began to auto up and down and would open the other windows, but auto up/down still didn't work on the passenger side, either from the driver's side buttons or the ones on the door. I used the buttons on the passenger side door to open it the whole way, then close it the whole way ... and now everything works.

Seriously, what the gently caress just happened there?

Sounds like you inadvertently did the auto-up / down reset procedure. It has to be done when you reset the battery.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

I think all Subarus should have the quietest exhaust possible, because they sound stupid.

TBH I was thinking about sixxing this bad and wrong comment.

I'll just post this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qD_orR3uNM&t=23s

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i like the subaru engine sound but at the same time i think you should just let the car sound like what it is

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Have you ever heard a lamborghini or GTR or any high-performance car with a modified exhaust for racing? They all sound like tractors. Don't put too much value on what a car "should" sound like.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

um excuse me posted:

Have you ever heard a lamborghini or GTR or any high-performance car with a modified exhaust for racing? They all sound like tractors. Don't put too much value on what a car "should" sound like.

no i mean don't modify the exhaust for show, just keep it stock.

i don't know poo poo, so maybe it helps you get more performance, but if it doesn't, leave it alone

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The only good exhaust sound is an Integra hitting vtec.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

Sounds like you inadvertently did the auto-up / down reset procedure. It has to be done when you reset the battery.
Huh. I was driving at the time and didn't have a chance to search, and since I solved the issue while scarfing down a Five Guys burger in a parking lot I didn't have a reason to look into it further. I had no idea this was a thing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i was just in a punchy mood. there's degrees of assholery and people driving catless are way less than basically every commercial vehicle and modded diesel

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

landgrabber posted:

i like the subaru engine sound but at the same time i think you should just let the car sound like what it is

I've got a UEL stainless header on mine with a stock exhaust and I love the way it sounds. It's quiet but you can hear that it has a header. I mostly got it since I hated messing with rusty drat manifolds all the time. It feels like it freed up some mustard on the highway and higher rpms too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wasabi the J posted:

I put a race (catless) header on my last car and I honestly felt pretty lovely about driving it for the past couple of years. There's no emissions/inspections in my state, and 20-year-old me probably didn't give two shits.

Now I have a new Subaru and I can't hear the god damned thing. This was how it started last time, I think.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
it's ok just get one because nothing matters and other people are bad so you shouldn't care.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I severed my exhaust right before the resonator on a dirt road rock and the otherwise stock EJ255 sounded so good until I got it welded back together. Such a nice low growl.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

net work error posted:

The only good exhaust sound is an NSX hitting vtec.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

not sure if i'll be able to afford it but it seems like where i wanna be is a 2011 forester premium. it has all of the features i want standard, and none of the ones i don't, including a FB instead of an EJ, and a timing chain instead of a timing belt.

i was able to see really well out of my 2011 outback. most of the time, in my rearview mirror, i could see the entire back window and some area around it. how's visibility in the 2011 forester body?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

landgrabber posted:

i don't know poo poo, so maybe it helps you get more performance, but if it doesn't, leave it alone

Perhaps don't have strong opinions on the topic then? Because everyone's talking about performance exhaust. For added performance.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Took my Crosstrek with a 6MT in for 30k service, and the service manual says the clutch fluid should be replaced at 30k, but the dealer said they almost never do that and "the shop manager has only done it twice in 30 years". Was the shop being lovely and lazy, or is replacing the clutch fluid not that important?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It wouldn’t hurt to do it but I have three Subarus, two with 180,000 miles and one with 155,000 miles and they have, to my knowledge, never had the clutch fluid replaced. The fluid is hygroscopic so it will absorb water over time and corrode the cyljnder liners so I would be more worried with age instead of miles. It’s different than with brake fluid where the lines are a lot bigger in volume and goes through a lot more heat cycles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The main reason to replace hydraulic fluid is that it's hygroscopic and the heat from brakes can cause absorbed water to boil, creating gas pockets that can be compressed (and thus negating the pressure you are putting on the brakes.) That's less of a concern for clutches as there's not really significant heat generation within the system.

Now, the fluid can still get contaminated (by water and other things) and that can mean bad things for seals and corrosion. However, if you've never had a break in the system or really even had the lid of the reservoir off, then there's not likely to be much contamination to worry about.

So, it's one of those things that's nice to do to refresh the fluids in the car, but isn't going to have much of a functional effect on things except for some edge cases.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wasabi the J posted:

it's ok just get one because nothing matters and other people are bad so you shouldn't care.

I probably will! Each day that goes by, I grow more estranged to the concept of warranty.

Really, I just want an Accessport to dial out the weird flat spot in the powerband between 4000-5000 RPM and check out what kind of changes I can make to the throttle map. Shifting into that flat spot sucks.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm trying to change my oil on the Forester for the first time myself. First off, thank you to the PO for installing the drain valve.

However, I've run into a problem with replacing the oil filter in that I can't get it out. I bought a Mobil 1 filter and a removal tool that fits it but it turns out that the OEM filter is slightly larger than the Mobil 1 filter and the tool won't fit. This is the filter I got and double checked that it should fit the Forester XT.

It would be really difficult to stab it out what with the under cladding, sump, and exhaust header in the way. What are my options considering that I'm only changing the oil because of age instead of mileage. My dad says it should be fine to keep the filter and just refill the oil and change the oil again sooner.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Get one of these:

ARES 56028 - Universal Oil Filter Wrench - 3/8-Inch Drive - Removes 2.5 to 3.25-inch Diameter Spin-On Style Oil Filters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084348KB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_K3TG2DRFTZA8Q2XTQJPY

If you need to do it before you can get the right wrench, you could get it off with some channel locks, or try to take off the under tray. The under tray should come off with 6 bolts and a few snap clips.

Also, it doesn’t make a big difference, but many prefer OEM Subaru filters. They are cheap enough and work great.