Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For kicks I looked up the longest lift in the world and was utterly shocked that I have ridden it. It's the Zugspitze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

The Slide Brook cross-peak lift at Sugarbush felt like it took at least a half hour. It's barely ever running but I did it once when I was there on a school ski club trip, we were freezing our asses off by the end cursing our decision

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

When I was a kid my family managed to go on a ski holiday at the same time the French power workers were having a series of strikes. Not fun as an 11 year old in January when the chairlift just stops moving for 30 minutes and the wind picks up.

This week I am taking a day off to go for a ski in Saas-Fee, where I broke my leg 2 years ago. No racing this time though! It's been unseasonably warm for a few days but hopefully the snow will still be good up there.
https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/webcams

Also got some nice touring lined up in Gstaad in a couple of weeks, a friend wants to do some "gnarly off piste" with a guide. She's a really good skier so I'm hoping not too gnarly - gonna take some beefier skis as I think I should prioritise the down over the uphill

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

highme posted:

Is that Ski Bowl?

It is. Not the best, but the cost and location in relation to where we stay is worth it.
We usually take the lifts all the way up then go to the east side. Fewer people and a shorter lift ride.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Not quite first, but pretty darn close! Glades were just phenomenal this morning.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 21, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When the snow level is low enough the upper chair at Ski Bowl is some of the best terrain on Mt Hood. Unfortunately the top chair scares me the poo poo out of me and I’ve always had a Meadows pass, so I haven’t been in years.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Omerta posted:

Not quite first, but pretty darn close! Glades were just phenomenal this morning.

We lapped the dumps on Ajax this morning before friends showed up and it was good. Icy crust underneath though

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Somehow I had a ski pop off getting on the lift at skibowl. I live East of Hood, so it is the farthest for me, so I rarely go. During a normal year I try to go to as many resorts as possible, but I make skibowl the trip for the non skiers and we do the intertubes there that are a lot of fun.

Mr/Mrs. Nice on Rice, have you ever gone down to Mt. Bachelor? I sometimes find Airbnb or vacation places for less than Government camp. Of course, it is a further trip to the mountain than govvy.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

We lapped the dumps on Ajax this morning before friends showed up and it was good. Icy crust underneath though

E Facing above ~10k was money... variable everywhere else. Feels like spring is here.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Skiing powder in the backcountry is still fun. It just never gets old.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have a few questions about Australia skiing. Are there any resorts in Australia/NZ that have slopeside villages and accomodations, preferrebly on Epic pass? Also, for Australia/NZ, I assume the epic pass you buy for a winter US season also covers the Australian Season as well? Is Australia/NZ skiing worthwhile and fun? Next year I want to take all my vacation in a month block again over US summer and take my son to Australia/NZ and am wondering if we could do like half the trip slopeside.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Epic has nothing in New Zealand and there are no redeeming features to any skiing in Australia.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Epic has nothing in New Zealand and there are no redeeming features to any skiing in Australia.

That is depressing, but I appreciate the honest response.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is depressing, but I appreciate the honest response.

No worries. New Zealand is a neat place to ski although very different in a lot of ways to North America. But it’s a cool place to visit on its own but has no epic pass. But yeah, I cannot warn you away from skiing in Australia enough. It just sucks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Vail Trip report: Success!

Trip in was slightly eventful: ended up originally scheduled to fly through DFW, but obviously that didn't work. My wife and I ended up split up via Phoenix/LA, and ended up getting in to Denver at 10pm on Tuesday, right in to the middle of a snow storm. Picked up our skis/rental car, and white knuckled it to Vail. Just a few miles outside of Denver, we ended up going up the hill and came upon a line of cars stuck in the middle of the road, unable to make it up. We stopped, then a Fedex truck came barreling up the hill on the shoulder trying to get up around, and also ended up stuck. lol. Plows ended up coming through and we made it up and to Vail by 230am.

Ended up skiing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Thursday/Friday had some very decent snow and minimal lines, and we mainly stuck the back bowls and Blue Sky. Saturday was definitely busy, with the most :psyduck: moment being when they put up a sign at the bottom of Orient Express that said Tea Cup was super busy, and to not ski down, which led to a 30 minute wait at Orient Express to go back up. The next time down we ignored the sign, skied down to Tea Cup, and essentially skied on to the lift.

Best part of the trip was finally figuring out that Blue Sky is one of my favorite areas of the mountain. I'd never previously seen what the big deal about it was, but on Friday we skied with a friend who lives in Denver and knows Vail super well. I think the Champagne Glades may be one of my new favorite runs.

Crested Butte in a few weeks!

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

HookShot posted:

No worries. New Zealand is a neat place to ski although very different in a lot of ways to North America. But it’s a cool place to visit on its own but has no epic pass. But yeah, I cannot warn you away from skiing in Australia enough. It just sucks.

in what ways is skiing in nz different from skiing in north america? aside from the fact that you're upside down

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

E Facing above ~10k was money... variable everywhere else. Feels like spring is here.

Yeah, felt a lot like spring. It's been a weird winter.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

kalvanoo posted:

in what ways is skiing in nz different from skiing in north america? aside from the fact that you're upside down

It's not different from everywhere in North America, but it's certainly different to a lot of it. I've never skied the east, so maybe it's similar to that? None of the resorts are big compared to a lot of the resorts here. Coronet Peak is one of the bigger ones and has three chairlifts and a T-bar (that's basically entirely for ski racers). There's generally not a ton of powder skiing there, and some years it can be VERY sparse and blower-dependent. The last time I was there I remember cutting across the off-piste stuff to get to a different part of the mountain at CP and I could literally see grass growing through the snow, the natural base had to be maybe 4 inches tops. Although I've also had some really good powder runs in other years.

There's also not much off-piste skiing.

Most of the resorts are specialized in different things. The Remarkables: good at nothing, terrible resort, no one who knows QT goes there. Coronet Peak: close to Queenstown, the locals resort, some decent blue and black groomers with an ok beginner's run. I've spent soooooooo much time skiing here. Cardrona: FANTASTIC green runs. Seriously, if I was starting to learn to ski and I could do it anywhere in the world I would pick Cardrona in a heartbeat. They also have the best park in the southern hemisphere, and it's where I taught Jamie Anderson when to use an apostrophe with 's' (mother's as opposed to mothers) on the chair once. Treble Cone has really good blues and blacks and the best off-piste skiing in the country that I've seen, and literally nothing for beginners at all. Do not go to learn there LOL. Mt. Hutt: Called Mt. Shut for a reason, and the road up there is literally the only time I've ever been legitimately scared on a mountain road, but once you get there holy poo poo. Beautiful runs. Absolutely beautiful.

There's also no on-mountain accommodations basically anywhere. You stay in town and you drive up.

Also every ski resort is alpine, so there are no trees anywhere. Kea will try and eat your car (literally). You have to wear chains if the weather is poo poo because they don't have winter tires, and when it opens to the public they will check.

While it's different, I LOVE skiing in New Zealand. The views from some of the mountains are loving phenomenal. CP, Cardrona and Treble Cone especially. If you're going to be in New Zealand in the winter I would 100% recommend doing it. It's a much smaller feel than skiing at the bigger resorts in North America, but it's so good. Also, the sunrises if you're up that early are some of the best on earth.

Since now you've got me feeling nostalgic, here's some pictures:

TC:

Cardrona (I think):

CP:

This is what I mean about it being bare sometimes lol:

Mt. Hutt:

And this is why it's known as Mt. Shut. The whole mountain closed about thirty minutes after I took this video. Listen with sound on: https://imgur.com/MQwgcfx

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Got up early today to go to Stevens Pass even though highway 2 was closed praying it would be open by the time I got there or shortly there after and welp

https://twitter.com/WSDOT_East/status/1363906757530062849?s=20

highme
May 25, 2001

Kings & Queens of Corbets is on right now

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/live/kings-and-queens-of-corbets

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Caught the rope drop on honeycomb at solitude on Friday, this was six hours later. Nothing but hero snow. Skied onto most lifts since everyone was busy swarming Alta and Snowbird after they reopened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUKOSFJQbk

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm selling my split and skins (no bindings): https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/denver-weston-backwoods-split-pomoca/7281361568.html

If anyone is interested I can throw in a goon discount or free shipping or some nice photographs of friends dog.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm selling my split and skins (no bindings): https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/denver-weston-backwoods-split-pomoca/7281361568.html

If anyone is interested I can throw in a goon discount or free shipping or some nice photographs of friends dog.

I kicked his rear end too much on the skin track and he quits!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I need to figure out how much to sell my AT ski setup for because I want a carbon splitboard. Cochise 178cm, marker kingpins, BD skins. Excellent condition. Any thoughts?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I need to figure out how much to sell my AT ski setup for because I want a carbon splitboard. Cochise 178cm, marker kingpins, BD skins. Excellent condition. Any thoughts?

It’s a sellers market so start high. $1400?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Good man. Agree, start high!

highme
May 25, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

That Endeavor though...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

As an Australian I'd say it has a lot to offer considering I can't loving go anywhere else on earth to ride right now.

To actually answer the question Perisher is on epic pass and has a small on snow village/accom options but Thredbo has the village vibe similar to aspen/whistler.

Perisher is our largest resort, comprised of 4 areas that all used to be separate resorts I think, way before my time. 104 runs and 96 lifts, although the runs are either long and slow greens or short and fast blues/blacks. Terrain covers all faces so there's always somewhere to hide from the wind. Lots of t bars again due to wind.

I spent 12 days there last season over a few weekends and I do the same every year I can. It's my favourite part of our country but I am biased I suppose.

The best time to go is august. Best chance of a good snowfall overnight followed by a clear day, plenty of base (annual snowfall is around 3 metres) and its outside school holidays so less busy - weekends are jam packed though as it's only 6hrs from Sydney. Normally doesn't get uncomfortably cold - I get around fine in either my shell and a thermal shirt or a DWR coated hoodie and a t shirt. Occasionally wind chill and rain can make it feel like it's -15C but any sunny day that you're standing in a lift line it gets warm fast.

It is not as good as northern hemisphere skiing by any stretch but it's still snow and if you wanted to ski every continent or something like that it's worth it if you're here at the right time to do it.

E: 47 lifts, not 96.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 23, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

lol, excuse me?

spwrozek posted:

Skiing powder in the backcountry is still fun. It just never gets old.

I agree wholeheartedly.

https://gopro.com/v/aR57Rm17aBOpd
https://www.strava.com/activities/4827170016

Far better conditions than we were expecting. Not perfect as there was a bit of a rain crust, but it was under about 6" of great snow, and wasn't too crunchy.

Looking forward to doing a whole lot more exploring of the backcountry spots around here, I've barely scratched the surface. (is this a joke about dust on crust?)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

highme posted:

That Endeavor though...

Hopefully I'll get to use it more than once this year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had two friends come into town with their ikon pass so we stayed up at crystal for two days.

As a life long snowboarder, I switched to skiing this year so this would be my third and fourth day on skis. Instead of renting, I decided to try some demo skis. I wanted to try some wider all mountains since that's likely what I would eventually buy.

Saturday started out as a bluebird morning and it was great. Snow was soft and chalky and fun skiing with friends. My wife is getting a lot better and finally started linking parallel turns. It started snowing later in the day.

I skied in the black ops senders first. Felt really good, pretty stable at speed but I could feel the weight in the tips and tail.

Next I tried the soul 7 and instantly felt the weight loss of the ski, but definitely in the tips and tails. I felt like I could control the ski way easier. It felt like it had less edge on icy/hard stuff but any soft snow it felt like heaven. So much so that I was literally laughing out loud when I found a stash of powder. I can't recall the last time skiing something have me a positive audible reaction.

On Sunday morning the conditions were perfect. Several inches of overnight snow and powder runs. I was on the armada declivity and they were noticeably heavier. They pushed through all kinds of choppy stuff but I liked these skis the least. They felt nice on groomed runs and had great edge for carving those but they weren't as fun in powder. The tails felt really springy which took me done getting used to and the ski weight made it more difficult to turn as quickly as I wanted on the steeper runs. I think this ski might reward a skier who pushed it harder than I will at my skill level.

I then tried the atomic bent chetler 100 and they were super fun but like the soul 7s, the tips were really light but unlike the souls, I felt like I kept overturning them and they were so light I was bouncing around on any packed powder. They were great in the powder I found but I think I would definitely need a longer version. All the skis were the same length but these felt much shorter.

I ended up going back to the soul 7 due to the powder conditions to see how they performed in deeper snow and they blew my mind. I stayed on them the rest of the day which went from powder to harder packed powder to rain/sleet and eventually ice. I didn't feel like the chatter was minimal given their reputation and light tips. The soul 7s weren't great in that but I think for an average ski day I liked them the most, especially if I wanted to get into touring eventually (obviously with more experience and education).

Winds were crazy, 50mph+ gusts on the top of the ridge. Whiteout conditions several times. They stopped the lifts and gondolas a few times. By the end of sunday the rain was lovely and we were all soaked. Still, the conditions early Sunday were worth it. I was giggling like a school girl in the powder.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Loose wet avy problem in the central Rockies on Feb 23? Thanks Obama climate change!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A friend of mine toured a bunch of the ski club fields in New Zealand which sounded like the way to do it if you are able to.

Like they have private ski areas with wonky cable rope tows and nutcracker devices you keep harnessed to you that you use the grab the cable.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A friend of mine toured a bunch of the ski club fields in New Zealand which sounded like the way to do it if you are able to.

Like they have private ski areas with wonky cable rope tows and nutcracker devices you keep harnessed to you that you use the grab the cable.

This is 100% the way to do it. And yeah, I believe the steepest rope tow in the world is in NZ.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Verman posted:

Had two friends come into town with their ikon pass so
I ended up going back to the soul 7 due to the powder conditions to see how they performed in deeper snow and they blew my mind.

Are they still making Soul 7s? I think I first used them in 2015. Great if you like them.

I got some of these for touring, they're really nice
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/backcountry-skis/black-crows-camox-freebird

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

knox_harrington posted:

Are they still making Soul 7s? I think I first used them in 2015. Great if you like them.

I got some of these for touring, they're really nice
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/backcountry-skis/black-crows-camox-freebird

I think 2020 was the last year they were made but you can still find them in retailers. I think for my skill (or lack thereof) they're really forgiving. A few years down the road I imagine I'll upgrade.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive been to Mt Hutt (2007, first time boarding) and remarkables ( 2009, total white out but 20cm deep pow) and coronet peak (2009, where we did most of our riding) and coronet peak was probably my favorite.

What I dont like about NZ skiing is theres no trees anywhere, in my experience at least.

for me with the group I ride with, its way more financially suitable to buy a season pass for perisher and do a bunch of weekends and a week or two rather than go to queenstown or whatever for a week. but we get real cheap accom and are super organised with carpooling so for the price of flights and accom and passes for queenstown I can get like 10 days on snow in Perisher instead of 5 in Queenstown. not to mention its 2 consecutive days instead of 5, so less likely to be sore, easier to manage poor weather, easier to bring cheap food from home etc.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man
I have an opportunity to head out to Park City next month right before they close for the season, but it'll be my first time skiing in Utah and I have a couple questions. Has anyone been this year? I'm ok with going in March, but I'm a little uncertain of what snow conditions have been like or what they typically look like at the end of the season. The plan is to get in on March 24th in the evening, and have the 25th-27th as our ski days.

p.s. hello hookshot, avatar brother sister (thanks spwrozek)

JagerNinja fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 24, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

JagerNinja posted:

I have an opportunity to head out to Park City next month right before they close for the season, but it'll be my first time skiing in Utah and I have a couple questions. Has anyone been this year? I'm ok with going in March, but I'm a little uncertain of what snow conditions have been like or what they typically look like at the end of the season. The plan is to get in on March 24th in the evening, and have the 25th-27th as our ski days.

p.s. hello hookshot, avatar Sister

FTFY

I have skied out there closing weekend in the past. Warm and slushy and fun. You could get a storm though. But just expect cruising around in the slush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

p.s. hello hookshot, avatar brother

I took my son to Deer Valley for Spring break 2 or 3 seasons ago, about the 20th of march or so. At that time it was definitely Spring conditions, and I think we even rode without jackets some days. Park City has more snowmaking equipment, so they might be in a little bit better position. From my memory it seemed slightly less busy, as the locals who are not ski diehards seemed to have moved on to warmer weather events.

Park City is a huge resort and has a fair amount of vertical. I imagine you will see a lot of different conditions throughout the day. Shaded areas might be thawing and refreezing and icy. On the PCMR side I really liked McConkey lift. I did not get the chance to visit canyons side. I think you should be able to scoot around the resort to find favorable conditions. It is kind of a trek to transit from PCMR to Canyons, so if you want to explore both it can be helpful to start on the appropriate side.

Also, Utah has Inn n Out burger, if they are not available in your state, but you may have to go to SLC for it.