Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think that if anyone could actually make a legitimate challenge against World of Warcraft, it would be Riot. But we'll see, the MMO genre is for the most part dead, and if Riot can't revitalize it then the genre is probably done for good outside of what already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

Hytale might be alright

I wish it wasn't just self hosted individual servers knockoff of minecraft though

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Biowarfare posted:

This is almost certainly going to be themepark to the extreme with lobbies and queues and instances.

You know, I don't have a problem with theme-park style MMOs. I played WoW for years. I couldn't do that now, but that's as much because of what a lovely unfun grind it has turned into as anything else.

As long as the game doesn't gratuitously waste my time and has fun moment to moment gameplay I'd be delighted to hop on their treadmill and chill with my friends. My problem with most current theme-park MMOs isn't the park, it's that they force me to work in their concession stand for 10 hours for every hour I get to actually enjoy the rides.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

A bit late on project gorgon, but:

Game looks and (at least for now) plays like poo poo, but having played since free alpha I think I've gotten my 40$ worth at least 10 times over.
If you don't like crafting or sandbox - it's mediocre, bland and forgettable. But if you liked SWG and/or to the extent ultima online I feel like it gives that nice feeling of something to do while rewarding you with a nice social atmosphere that (gasp) exists outside of guilds and discords, just like old mmos whoah

To answer rhetorical thread title: lol no, it's like looking at a monitor and the patient flatlined, but every once in a while you see it spike a bit like with PG and you start to wonder, maybe not yet?

Strotski fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 22, 2021

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Gorgon is cool and good because you can become a cow and players can milk cows.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

cmdrk posted:

So it's just like Second Life?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

cmdrk posted:

Can't you also milk yourself somehow, or am I misremembering?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
why did The Sims Online fail? was it ahead of its time, not have the right pay model, or what?

it seems like now is the perfect climate for a (mobile) MMO where you design your house, full it with crap ($$), have stupid soirees with your facebook friends, and microtransact your way into a mansion.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

I said come in! posted:

I think that if anyone could actually make a legitimate challenge against World of Warcraft, it would be Riot. But we'll see, the MMO genre is for the most part dead, and if Riot can't revitalize it then the genre is probably done for good outside of what already exists.
FFXIV's subs are still continuing their slow but steady rise, iirc.
ESO might also be doing the same.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

1stGear posted:

Which is to say that their MMO is absolutely going to be "WoW, but" and if you're hoping for a modern MMO in the style of Everquest or Ultima Online, keep throwing money at Kickstarters.
It’s mean to tell people to throw away their money like that

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would wait until Project Gorgon is on a deep sale, like as close to 10 bucks as possible. It's not exactly fun or balanced but it is unique.

wizardofloneliness posted:

It's been a while but I think that was a bug.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I really want to know what was being thought when that feature was added because I now have this weird hosed up mental image of a traditional WoW-esque dungeon run where the healer turns into a cow and offers everyone milk for healing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cmdrk posted:

why did The Sims Online fail? was it ahead of its time, not have the right pay model, or what?

it seems like now is the perfect climate for a (mobile) MMO where you design your house, full it with crap ($$), have stupid soirees with your facebook friends, and microtransact your way into a mansion.

There's still people playing it today apparently, but I think there's just not a ton to do other than chat or otherwise do things you could do in The Sims already.

Probably just not marketed right though, since Animal Crossing shows that can totally go mainstream.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it had poor support after release and was based on the first game, which was not exactly deep even by the standards of the series overall

it was also targeted at the wrong demographics for 2002. even though the sims itself was a hit among "non-gamers", purchasing the software in a store and then paying a monthly fee was too high an entry barrier for virtually everyone who might have been enthused by it. they probably could have re-released it for android & iOS in 2011 and made tons of money but EA is allergic to good ideas

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

You can milk yourself as a cow, it's just a skill with a cooldown progressively lower the more you level your cow, and it's the lowest if you're a vegetarian cow that eats no meat.

I do agree with Freakazoid though, it takes very special brokenbrains to enjoy PG, it's uniquely niche and "fun", and there's a free demo so go try that maybe.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 23, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Biowarfare posted:

I really want to know what was being thought when that feature was added because I now have this weird hosed up mental image of a traditional WoW-esque dungeon run where the healer turns into a cow and offers everyone milk for healing

You should have been the developer because that sound funny if not fun.

The truth is it's just milk. Milk is needed for cheese making and a couple other crafting skills.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I would laugh so much if a Riot made MMO was the thing that ended WoW, you'd be able to trace a straight line from blizzard's inability to capitalize on the popularity of DoTA in warcraft 3 to the end of blizzard as a company.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Biowarfare posted:

I wish it wasn't just self hosted individual servers knockoff of minecraft though

That is exactly the thing I wanted out of Legends of Aria and they suddenly changed course and decided they wanted it to be an MMORPG and when the hacked all the hell Legend of Ultima server was more popular their their main game they should have completely abandoned that plan of action.

If its just a prettier Minecraft/Trove and doesn't get abandoned like Cubeworld with easier to set up mods then that's the perfect game I'm looking for. Except Vaelheim is out right now and doing leaps and bounds more in it's early access than any of the above named games combined.

I also want another Terraria. To me that's the perfect game of this sort.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much exclusively look for multiplayer games with as much of the playerbase together on one instance as possible. I don't want self hosted servers, and 1000000% more do not want anything player run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I would laugh so much if a Riot made MMO was the thing that ended WoW, you'd be able to trace a straight line from blizzard's inability to capitalize on the popularity of DoTA in warcraft 3 to the end of blizzard as a company.

The only thing more ironic would be if somehow Warhammer Online got a sequel and it killed WoW.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
It could have made a serious dent if EA had any sense and the entire game didn't run like dogshit before they took over. The entire thing feels like you are mired in molasses. Everything else was pretty drat good and all the building blocks were there.

Tier 1 PVP is still some of the best fun you can have in Return of Reckoning.

A sequel that actually gave a drat would be mind blowing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That was more of mix of EA and Games Workshop. Like an evil Reese Cup, just mixing two terrible things.

EA’s profit-motivated demands coupled with Games Workshop’s bizarre demands (the game was never allowed to go f2p) didn’t give the game much of a chance, and Mythic screwing up a number of things ensured it wasn’t going to last long.

Like seriously, Games Workshop threatened legal action against their largest fansite for...existing. That’s like Blizzard threatening to sue MMO-Champion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

Pants Donkey posted:
That was more of mix of EA and Games Workshop. Like an evil Reese Cup, just mixing two terrible things.

EA’s profit-motivated demands coupled with Games Workshop’s bizarre demands (the game was never allowed to go f2p) didn’t give the game much of a chance, and Mythic screwing up a number of things ensured it wasn’t going to last long.

Like seriously, Games Workshop threatened legal action against their largest fansite for...existing. That’s like Blizzard threatening to sue MMO-Champion.

Games Workshop has been colossally stupid. Of course WoW itself could have been World of Warhammer if they'd just agreed to license Warhammer to Blizzard way back in the day, instead of being terrified of it somehow attracting attention to their tabletop game. If Warcraft was Warhammer the game, then War2 and War3 probably would also be Warhammer IP, and then GW ends up getting a cut of all those unbelievable WoW profits during their peak, for basically doing nothing but saying "okay" and then collecting paychecks.

Cross-thread post:

quote:

Raygereio posted:
The previous CEO, Tom Kirby, was a moron. It's honestly amazing Games Workshop survived under him.

After Kevin Rountree took over as CEO in 2015, Kirby stayed on as an advisor / consultant for about a year. And it seems like Rountree did the exact opposite of whatever advice Kirby must have been giving. We got a rapid, whiplash-like shift from being openly hostile to their customers, to wanting to engage with and grow the fanbase.

It really is wild how different GW has felt the last few years, they actually seem to give a poo poo now. But ah, what could have been.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 24, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its honestly baffling to me that Blizzard didn't just buy up DOTA well before DOTA 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

its honestly baffling to me that Blizzard didn't just buy up DOTA well before DOTA 2

Blizzard took Valve to court over this, they argued that because DOTA was made on Warcraft III, that they owned the I.P. by default and for free. it didn't work. It was a bad play, they really should have just paid money for especially since they could have afforded it with no noticeable hit to their bank account.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Morhaime's excuse is that Blizzard was focused on WoW and they just wanted to let the community do their thing with DOTA. By the time they realized their mistake, it was too late.

I do wish we lived in the timeline where Heroes of the Storm came out before LoL and the MOBA genre wasn't defined by having a bunch of dumb, fiddly mechanics.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Kaysette posted:

A housing/building focused MMO that could attract the animal crossing and stardew valley crowd might be the only way to make a successful MMO these days.

A game like Glitch would probably do much better today then it did at release. Especially if it were in 3D.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1stGear posted:

Morhaime's excuse is that Blizzard was focused on WoW and they just wanted to let the community do their thing with DOTA. By the time they realized their mistake, it was too late.

I do wish we lived in the timeline where Heroes of the Storm came out before LoL and the MOBA genre wasn't defined by having a bunch of dumb, fiddly mechanics.

Yeah just like how Demigod defined the genre.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah just like how Demigod defined the genre.

It had the most convincing Christopher Lee-soundalike as its announcer, that oughta count for something.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

1stGear posted:

How would that timeline even exist? HotS wasn't even a thing until after LoL. It took Valve taking Dota from right under their nose to get them to start on a moba of their own. Plus Blizzard would have put all the fiddly things in if they didn't need a way to set themselves apart from their competitors.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's a fantasy, much like believing that I'm not going to die in the climate famines of 2040 or that MMOs are good.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Kaysette posted:

A housing/building focused MMO that could attract the animal crossing and stardew valley crowd might be the only way to make a successful MMO these days.

Add in some A Tale in the Desert player politics and that would be pretty awesome IMO. Vote on who can be in your neighborhood, taxes, park zoning and maintenance, community centers, public rules, garbage pickups, etc. To add some non-combat drama/"PVP" to the thing. Force people to be part of a community rather than just living next to each other.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Phigs posted:

Add in some A Tale in the Desert player politics and that would be pretty awesome IMO. Vote on who can be in your neighborhood, taxes, park zoning and maintenance, community centers, public rules, garbage pickups, etc. To add some non-combat drama/"PVP" to the thing. Force people to be part of a community rather than just living next to each other.

As long as the libertarian town gets overrun by bears I'm all for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any MMORPGs that support VR, or coming out with VR support?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Depends upon how you define an MMO exactly. I would argue that in the traditional sense of AAA MMO, we haven't really had any new ones released in years.

MMO is already an extremely expensive to develop model with a high chance of failure, adding the cost of supporting a tiny niche market just doesn't really make good business sense.

The closest we have are things like VRChat and Rec Room which are more trying to be Second Life VR but I would argue that's borderline "MMO" just not the same traditional EQ/WOW thing.

There's also a few indies doing mmorpg-ish gameplay in VR but since they're indie they make compromises to scale and quality.

I would love to have just a VR Renaissance fair where you can meet up with other people in costume and walk around, actual gameplay like combat would just be a bonus. I imagine its only a matter of time, but we're still a few years away from enough people owning HMDs that it really makes sense to invest in.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, mouse wheel scroll til you are in first person, then slap the helmet on.

I don't think massively multiplayer and VR will meaningfully be in the same sentence until the technology allows a stripped down experience(like just some regular glasses) and the price comes way down. I don't actually want to stand or move while I'm playing games.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I said come in! posted:

This was posted a couple pages back:

eonwe posted:

There is a VR MMO, and for how little funding it has, it is really rather fun. It's called Orbus. The first time I played, someone was glitched into the wall behind a fish trophy. Anyway, the fish trophy person gave me a quest to go kill a monster outside the city walls that would one shot me. I still played along and they sent another player to watch form a distance and see if I did it. Then when I reported in and said I failed his quest he gave me like 10k gold.

Game is pretty fun, though, still a bit limited. Magic users have to accurately draw runes in the air to cast, Paladins hold their mace above their head to generate lightning charges, etc.

For what its worth, I've played Orbus and my impression was that it was pretty dire, it felt like a very old-school MMO where the team was small and the content was thin. The trial I played had the intro quests disabled for some reason, and I don't think there was much else to do besides attack random monsters. And as cool as it sounds to trace your runes in the air and mime the attacks you're doing in VR... it kinda doesn't mesh well with the early MMO gameplay. You can spend an hour grinding sheep in WoW or whatever because you're sitting in your chair clicking a button and probably watching TV, but it's way more tedious to have to do it in VR, where a monster with a lot of hit points might actually mean you need to spend five or ten minutes swinging your arms through the air.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when did you play it? The game is definitely limited, but there are definitely quests and things to do nowadays

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
GACHA MUD finished it's twice yearly MTX bonanza, $740,000 worth of MTX currency was exchanged for in-game items and perks over 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone is going through Everquest Online Adventures, and making a HD update to the textures, and adding shadow effects. Obviously only available on the PS2 emulator, but the fanbase for EQOA has gotten really dedicated and obsessive in the last 6 months with bringing this game back to life.