Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I will look at you the wrong way all I like and there's not a drat thing you can do about it Pawpaw :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't understand why it's never "well if this is worth $15/hr maybe my job should be worth more"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Len posted:

I don't understand why it's never "well if this is worth $15/hr maybe my job should be worth more"

americans are trained from birth to be crabs in a bucket op

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"keeping up with the johnsons" means hoping the johnsons go bankrupt from medical bills in an economy that provides for no one, I think. when you can't imagine your own situation improving you revel other's misfortune

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antonymous posted:

americans are trained from birth to be crabs in a bucket op

That's fair and I've gotten into more than one Facebook thing by asking "well why don't you value your job more?"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao the replies to that:

These people never say what their magic skill/job is. Tell me!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Len posted:

Same reason people get pissed that cops make $80k instead of thinking hmmmm maybe if I had a union I'd make $80k too

Cops loving suck though, just not because of their pay

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Forseti posted:

Same reason people get pissed that cops make $80k instead of thinking hmmmm maybe if I had a union I'd make $80k too

Cops loving suck though, just not because of their pay

Cops make like $300k after OT but before crimes op

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

These people never say what their magic skill/job is. Tell me!

They spent 11 years working for minimum wage at their fathers hedge fund before he retired and gave the company to them. See anyone can do it.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

SchnorkIes posted:

Cops make like $300k after OT but before crimes op

gently caress, i should look into killing people for capital

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
small business owners are petty tyrants

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Homocow posted:

small business owners are petty tyrants

I worked on call for about a year and a half before getting let for the audacity of wanting a real schedule. Popcorn emergencies aren't things that should happen

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1355394022362148864

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I thought that was satire?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

not watching this neo nazi's youtube video but if he fired anyone who is a protected class (gay, woman, non white, etc) then he is a dead motherfucker as far as federal law is concerned

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

not watching this neo nazi's youtube video but if he fired anyone who is a protected class (gay, woman, non white, etc) then he is a dead motherfucker as far as federal law is concerned

Whites aren't a protected class?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Peanut President posted:

he can fire anyone for any reason he wants lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SchnorkIes posted:

he can fire anyone for any reason he wants lol

I'm sure that's his argument but unless he's the ceo of exxon mobil or some poo poo he can't afford the lawyers to argue that

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Len posted:

I thought that was satire?

Wouldn't that be great?

I don't think jokes happen anymore.

*edit* It appears to be a thing created by some artist.

However it appears that thousands of people wanted the check on their houses. Surely there's a capitalist somewhere who will make this real.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Isn't the rule just that he has to make up a bullshit reason though? Like, you have to prove that he fired you for being gay and not for "not following procedures enough" or whatever?

I once got fired soon after saying I was gonna take paternity leave (pretty sure it was actually unrelated actually). My union basically told me I had zero legal case and that they could essentially fire me for not performing if they wanted. But the union also said they'd do a posture and threaten with taking the employer to court. They were 100% bluffing, but I got a pretty good deal compared to what I could have expected because of it. Funnily enough, the burden of proof would have been reversed if I had been a woman. In that case the employer would have to prove I wasn't fired for being pregnant.

(This is Denmark. Unions are cool here)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

spacetoaster posted:

Wouldn't that be great?

I don't think jokes happen anymore.

*edit* It appears to be a thing created by some artist.

Literally read the OP's comments on her thread. She's the artist. She thinks it's stupid. It is not serious.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Isn't the rule just that he has to make up a bullshit reason though? Like, you have to prove that he fired you for being gay and not for "not following procedures enough" or whatever?

I once got fired soon after saying I was gonna take paternity leave (pretty sure it was actually unrelated actually). My union basically told me I had zero legal case and that they could essentially fire me for not performing if they wanted. But the union also said they'd do a posture and threaten with taking the employer to court. They were 100% bluffing, but I got a pretty good deal compared to what I could have expected because of it. Funnily enough, the burden of proof would have been reversed if I had been a woman. In that case the employer would have to prove I wasn't fired for being pregnant.

shame about the gender rights tho

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

political affiliation isn't a protected class. you're welcome to fire people based on their political party

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Literally read the OP's comments on her thread. She's the artist. She thinks it's stupid. It is not serious.

I figured it out. Thank you so much.

This guy's videos have been popping up on YT recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqYLLleNPH0

Do tow truck companies make deals with businesses that have parking spaces near popular spots to put up no parking signs? I worked at a racetrack for a summer and the impound lot for towed vehicles was a huge money maker (65 dollars cash required to get our car out). It seems like it'd be a good way to guarantee a few thousand dollars every weekend.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Do tow truck companies make deals with businesses that have parking spaces near popular spots to put up no parking signs? I worked at a racetrack for a summer and the impound lot for towed vehicles was a huge money maker (65 dollars cash required to get our car out). It seems like it'd be a good way to guarantee a few thousand dollars every weekend.

Only $65? The one time I've had my car towed it was $300, lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Only $65? The one time I've had my car towed it was $300, lmao

I'm old.

Also, they absolutely tried to figure out the max amount of cash people at the events would be able to scrape together quickly.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

boar guy posted:

political affiliation isn't a protected class. you're welcome to fire people based on their political party

as far as federal law is concerned yeah, but plenty of states make it illegal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Failed Imagineer posted:

I enjoyed this tale of Citibank loving themselves over with lovely internal systems and undertrained subcontractors

https://twitter.com/ouroborosglyx/status/1363430393869959169?s=19

(Will possibly be overturned on appeal, but still)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, tow companies sign contracts with businesses to tow people from reserved parking. My apartment complex uses a tow company that works almost strictly doing apartment parking enforcement, but they do public events stuff too.

And it's more like $300+ now. Last guy I knew in my complex to get his car towed (over an expired tag, lol) said it was $350 to get it out of lockup from this company. His registration renewal wound up being about the same after late fees, and he had to spend a week finding other places to park it before getting an appointment for renewal.

GTOger is a pretty long running channel, I remember watching their tow meltdown videos years ago. Good poo poo, but it's a stepping stone to the crack that's car crash videos.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonHair posted:

Yeah but they have to prove that in paperwork; most people don't care enough when you get fired from a minimum wage job. It's also usually suspicious if, say, the one black guy in the workplace had a ton of performance reviews and stuff and everyone else just had their hiring paperwork and nothing else

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

In Seattle at least there is zero regulation as to what tow companies can charge, and they definitely base their charges on that.

In a just society, tow companies and local governments would be restricted to using income- or wealth-based fines/fees.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

He said multiple times on his channel they don't get a kick back, and its in the FAQ in the video description. Who knows how true it is though.

But they do have a good reason for no one parking there. The business is a data center/co-lo. They have limited parking for employees and customers that come and go 24/7. They have more than 10 signs on the building, which people are often caught on video reading. Doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not really sure why they would need to get a "kickback" when it costs $300 to get your car out of their lot.

e: Oh you meant the business owner didn't you I'm dumb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also is it me or does the employee in that video go to his car, sit in it and smoke a joint

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't smoke shame. Might be the only way dude gets through the day. And iirc that place is in Dallas, where weed laws are dumb as hell. I'd smoke nonstop if I lived in Texas too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't smoke shame. Might be the only way dude gets through the day. And iirc that place is in Dallas, where weed laws are dumb as hell. I'd smoke nonstop if I lived in Texas too.

I am not smoke shaming I am more pointing out that it's weird he's doing it in front of his employer's notorious camera

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sininu posted:

This is incredibly blessed and warms my heart. Hopefully Jiang will get some form of compensation for that nightmare other than a busted megacorp.

gross
I hope they get ground into dust by the lawsuits.

I wonder if ABC could sue the megacorp for libel since they took out ads basically saying that ABC was making poo poo up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Shame Boy posted:

I am not smoke shaming I am more pointing out that it's weird he's doing it in front of his employer's notorious camera

Ahh, good point.

I usually smoked in my car if I could, but often found myself out next to a dumpster behind restaurants and bars. Usually within sight of a camera.

My bosses never had their parking lots aired on youtube weekly, however.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ahh, good point.

I usually smoked in my car if I could, but often found myself out next to a dumpster behind restaurants and bars. Usually within sight of a camera.

My bosses never had their parking lots aired on youtube weekly, however.

Everyone in food retail smokes weed (at a minimum), usually behind the dumpster out back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I started working in kitchens off/on part time for extra cash, but also a solid connection, probably 13 years ago. I live in a legal state now, so I just go to a dispensary.

Bar kitchen menus are wonderfully simple for cooking stoned.