Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Really not comfortable with Lindsay constantly breaking out 'the trans' so much even ironically
I didn't want to say anything because I'm cis, but yeeeah. It seems like either Contra told her it was cool or because Contra says it all the time she thought it was cool and she went "oh, minority friend is cool with it". It gave me some "oh no, beloved white friend, keep me out of this" feelings of yore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Especially relevant to thread, the South Park episode where they couldn’t fathom why people would want revenue for their online....only to move the majority of their episodes online behind a paywall like a year later.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 23, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I generally complain about youtube videos that go to an hour, but this is a pretty tight argument delivered well. If it were prose with citations, I could see it getting run in like Sight and Sound or PLMA, or a pop-culture journal, if there’s scholarly interest in Rowling. I don’t know how much work’s been done on Silence of the Lambs in the context of Psycho, but I’m pretty convinced by the threads that come together in this one. It’s also nice to see what a minor footnote of a figure Sargon has become.

Who was that woman defending Rowling’s novel who looked like a bunch of photoshop filters piled on top of each other? The tone of voice and delivery alone say “disgusting reactionary,” but I guess I’m not up on the who’s who of the post-trump youtube right.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

McCloud posted:

Reminder that they did an episode on how smoking wasn't so bad and how exercising wasn't really all that good

Once they ran out of easy targets it just became contrarianism: the show

Oh you think recycling is good? You loving idiot, you utter moron
I remember the Recycling episode because back in the day Linkara would cite it for a review on why recycling wasn't actually that good

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

There's the climate change episode which is....well, it was pretty bad then and is just a completely hilarious misfire now. I mean, holy poo poo lol. Good god did they gently caress that one up.

Bullshitting rich people into drinking tap water and eating poo poo presented as gourmet was funny, of course. The show's a sort of historical curio from the beforetimes when people were allowed to put their YouTube video essays on television.

Yeah, their best episodes were about people who were preying on others using quack science or punching up. But those heavy libertarian ones are just the worst.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is probably my most paranoid and conspiracy-theorylike belief, but I’m pretty sure South Park played a significant role in the resurgence of antisemitism as an online phenomenon and the rise of the alt right 2011-2016. I can’t prove it, but that distinctive brand of nihilism paired with right-wing talking points and explicit jew hatred as an “ironic” joke in every episode tracks extremely closely with the original 4chan alt right, and most of those 4chan posters would have been children at the turn of the century when the earlier seasons were airing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't know if I buy its validity but it's not a very out there take - I've seen it expressed before.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Who was that woman defending Rowling’s novel who looked like a bunch of photoshop filters piled on top of each other? The tone of voice and delivery alone say “disgusting reactionary,” but I guess I’m not up on the who’s who of the post-trump youtube right.

Blaire White. "Vanessa Le Blanc" comes from a Contra video.

EDIT: I watched that new Internet Historian "Cost of Concordia" vid today and my word, watch that if you haven't. It's freaking absurd.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 23, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's going to be very Chicken or the Egg, but they were really big on the whole motif that caring about anything was just for dumb assholes trying to look superior and that the really cool thing to do was be aloof and nihilistic. It's feels like it was tired in with Chan/Anon culture.

Antisemitism is harder. I generally agree, philosophically, that a few dumb assholes missing the joke isn't their fault and that Cartman was written to be awful. But I also knew a whole lot of dumb rear end in a top hat kids in my high school who loved to scream "Jew" at people and who generally thought Cartman was awesome. When people insist that obviously Cartman was bad and no one liked him, I wonder how they managed to get that lucky with their classmates.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Penn has disowned the global warming episode, although to what extent I can’t say.

When it comes to issues with teeth to them (ie not soft balls like 9/11 truthers or alt medicine quacks), they were good on immigration, the death penalty, fat acceptance (I don’t recall them bashing exercise, but they did note the flaws of BMI and how people prey on our desire to be thin), and uhhhh sex work but in an obnoxiously horny manner so I’m not sure if that counts.

Honestly the bulk of their episodes were poo poo most people already was bullshit. Although in a post-Facebook world...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: I watched that new Internet Historian "Cost of Concordia" vid today and my word, watch that if you haven't. It's freaking absurd.

Ok lets do it. WHen guys like Internet Historian cover stuff i've never heard of, you're usually in for a ride.

ALso, speaking of that book JK Rowling wrote. Theres a part of me that is morbidly curious enough to blow an audible credit on it just to find out how bad it is. I read a review on VOX and it def sounds like the transphobia is the least interesting part about it and JEEZ! She has a lot of issues about being a woman that go WAY past trans women.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nothing in those excerpts in the video even approach looking like a readable novel

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

This is probably my most paranoid and conspiracy-theorylike belief, but I’m pretty sure South Park played a significant role in the resurgence of antisemitism as an online phenomenon and the rise of the alt right 2011-2016. I can’t prove it, but that distinctive brand of nihilism paired with right-wing talking points and explicit jew hatred as an “ironic” joke in every episode tracks extremely closely with the original 4chan alt right, and most of those 4chan posters would have been children at the turn of the century when the earlier seasons were airing.

i wouldnt go that far but i don't think it helped. i think the biggest issue is irony poisoning which south park had a role in but also it was just the internet in general mixed with lovely Gen X "gently caress em all, why should we care MAAAAAN" poo poo. the rest slowly sprouted from that.

Kim Justice posted:

I watched that new Internet Historian "Cost of Concordia" vid today and my word, watch that if you haven't. It's freaking absurd.

is he a weird channer type chuddish dude or not? like i remember he did a TON of poo poo about channers stealing la boufs dumb rear end flag for his weird art statements against trump.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Penn has disowned the global warming episode, although to what extent I can’t say.

Not good enough, I demand that Teller speaks out on this

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is he a weird channer type chuddish dude or not? like i remember he did a TON of poo poo about channers stealing la boufs dumb rear end flag for his weird art statements against trump.

Dunno. He did a series on that yeah but then really that was kind of absurd and anyways gently caress Shia LeBoeuf, he's an abuser.

Internet Historian keeps his presence mysterious. Fucker barely even tweets.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 23, 2021

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Bravo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Penn's one of those 'you should be able to do whatever to yourself' libertarians which does mean he tends to be pretty solid on poo poo like drugs and lgbtq rights and all but it also means his lens for stuff like sex work legalization basically begins and ends at 'YA LIKE PUSSY RIGHT????' which, like, glad you're for it and all but there's a lot deeper issues than 'WHY WOULD YOU WANNA MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO gently caress???? FUCKIN RULES!!!!'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It 100% contributed to the kids my little brother hung out with shouting Jew as an insult or using Jewish as pejorative.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Dunno. He did a series on that yeah but then really that was kind of absurd and anyways gently caress Shia LeBoeuf, he's an abuser.

Internet Historian keeps his presence mysterious. Fucker barely even tweets.

lol is he? i never heard how he was a giant abuser. i just knew he was an rear end in a top hat who thought he was "deep".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol is he? i never heard how he was a giant abuser. i just knew he was an rear end in a top hat who thought he was "deep".

yea it's come out he was like genuinely really loving horribly abusive to at least a couple past partners, dude sucks for real reasons now not the funny 'lol what a pretentious loser' ones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's come out he was like genuinely really loving horribly abusive to at least a couple past partners, dude sucks for real reasons now not the funny 'lol what a pretentious loser' ones.

i know its hosed up to say it, but honestly not that shocked. glad the channers stole his dumb rear end flag.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 23, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

With all of the poo poo Labeouf did before, while and after that, I couldn't and still can't really muster any outrage at dumb trolls for capturing his (I don't think I've ever used this phrase unironically before) virtue signalling flag.

And with South Park and the whole antisemitism thing. I'm pretty sure that no one in my age range ever heard any of the weird "race science" antisemitic stereotypes before South Park came around. Despicable, edgy, holocaust jokes? Sure. But never anything that spoke about Jewish people being inherently anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

With all of the poo poo Labeouf did before, while and after that, I couldn't and still can't really muster any outrage at dumb trolls for capturing his (I don't think I've ever used this phrase unironically before) virtue signalling flag.

And with South Park and the whole antisemitism thing. I'm pretty sure that no one in my age range ever heard any of the weird "race science" antisemitic stereotypes before South Park came around. Despicable, edgy, holocaust jokes? Sure. But never anything that spoke about Jewish people being inherently anything.

i don't think south park caused the anti semtism thing. i more mean the "gently caress em all" gen X poo poo mixed with online culture/edgelord irony humor/toxic lifestyle of internet troll groups. south park is one of many factors and not a fully intentional one. poo poo mixes and poo poo.

and yeah. i could care less about channers loving with some abusive prenetious dipshit who makes "art" because he feels insecure from being known for being in mostly terrible loving movies. i was more amused by the videos because of how many of them figured out where the flag was such as flight patterns of planes and frog noises.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I know at least one person who used Jew as an insult and thought Cartman was hilarious. It seemed the antisemitism originated at home, but South Park validated it for sure by having a character that they saw as funny/clever doing it on mainstream television.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't think SP literally 'caused' antisemitism but boy did I get called "Jew" a lot in school by people who thought Cartman was hilarious and I'm pretty sure I know why they thought that was a cool thing to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't think SP literally 'caused' antisemitism but boy did I get called "Jew" a lot in school by people who thought Cartman was hilarious and I'm pretty sure I know why they thought that was a cool thing to do.

yeah. the big issue is dumb parents who let their kids watch it or etc plus dumb asses who don't get cartman is supposed to be a unlikable piece of poo poo. like with Rick, i can kinda understand because the show still frames him as doing cool poo poo and stuff even though it spells out that he is a lonely toxic rear end in a top hat. cartman is just a piece of poo poo.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ashens's channel turns 15 years old tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2QRJPHS7yE

I remember when his PopStation Watch videos were some of the funniest poo poo I'd seen on Youtube :corsair:

And Hats Off Entertainment brings us the life of Gene Wilder in his own words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoJMkIshGHY

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the big issue is dumb parents who let their kids watch it or etc plus dumb asses who don't get cartman is supposed to be a unlikable piece of poo poo. like with Rick, i can kinda understand because the show still frames him as doing cool poo poo and stuff even though it spells out that he is a lonely toxic rear end in a top hat. cartman is just a piece of poo poo.
People are going to repeat catchphrases from a show even if the show portrays the guy saying it as a bad guy. Hence you know not using a race in you dumb villain catchphrase being ideal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

People are going to repeat catchphrases from a show even if the show portrays the guy saying it as a bad guy. Hence you know not using a race in you dumb villain catchphrase being ideal.

oh i know.

Mr.Radar posted:

I remember when his PopStation Watch videos were some of the funniest poo poo I'd seen on Youtube :corsair:

And Hats Off Entertainment brings us the life of Gene Wilder in his own words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoJMkIshGHY

god, i forgot about him. i loved his stuff. just talking about hosed up broken cheap toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFba_31veCI

im the fetus seal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Media tends to be more of a reflection of the zeitgeist than anything else. South Park is just a perfect encapsulation of the nihilistic edgy humor popular in the late 90s/early 00s, trying to push "PC" boundaries while still remaining above it all. I mean, that's what SA used to be (and we still have a place memorializing that), some people grew out of it, some people now find it repulsive and some people just went all in on the shock humor to the point they lost themselves in the character.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

But they did a tone-deaf episode about trans people in sports, so don’t worry, South Park still sucks.

I haven't watched a single episode in quite some time, but as I recall, they also go all-in on the racism when it comes to Asian people as well. Anyone yellow, and apparently fair game to be all "ching chong wing wong herro herro ping pong bing bong."

gently caress South Park, and Matt Stone and Trey Parker can go gently caress themselves, the pieces of loving poo poo.

Dias posted:

Media tends to be more of a reflection of the zeitgeist than anything else. South Park is just a perfect encapsulation of the nihilistic edgy humor popular in the late 90s/early 00s, trying to push "PC" boundaries while still remaining above it all. I mean, that's what SA used to be (and we still have a place memorializing that), some people grew out of it, some people now find it repulsive and some people just went all in on the shock humor to the point they lost themselves in the character.

You can imagine how much fun it would've been as a mixed-race POC in a mostly white all-boys private school from 1998~2002.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 23, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so this happened on castle super beast today :allears:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingAntsyTortoiseTF2John-2zbUEbvo_oQhV_2n

the whole thing is great to watch, they're adorable dorks together, but the video is subscriber only unfortunately. I love Pat's penchant for not letting Woolie know he's going to drop bombs like this until they're live.

her parents basically being like "OF COURSE it's fine, jesus how are you two not married already you act like a decades-married sitcom couple already" and then pat and her mom just talking about what a nerd she is for like an hour is some great imagery

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I think in general South Park lowered the bar for using hateful stuff and then justifying it at the end with 30 seconds of faux-heartfelt moralizing. The people laughing at the slurs through 90% of the story still get to laugh at the slurs and then laugh at the tacked on morality, while it gives the creators and all "both sides bad" folks a fig leaf to say the show actually was making a point.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

One of the first channels I got into on youtube, for sure. Also it was fairly recently that I learned funny internet tat man has a doctorate in psychology :eng101:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were going to do an episode the Bullshit About Bullshit that went over all the stuff they got wrong as a series finale but the show was canceled. Always been curious what they would've said they got wrong.

Adam Ruins Everything, the superior and more internet-creator-adjacent show about debunking poo poo, actually did do an episode entitled “Adam Ruins Himself” as their finale where it mentions mistakes, biases, and advertiser input during the creation of the show as sort of a coda. The show in general is also just way better than Bullshit because Conover is not an insufferable atheist-libertarian, he’s an insufferable leftist.

edit: also South Park is definitely responsible for an increase in anti-semitism among white kids roughly my age (probably at least 5 years in either direction, so 24-34). I honestly don’t know what other explanation there would be for it. Obviously it’s not the only reason it’s had a resurgence but I don’t think “Jew” would be a pejorative with nearly the frequency it has been over the last 20 years without Eric Cartman. And it doesn’t stop there either; there’s a whole episode where Cartman is making nonstop jokes about “Jew gold” and the entire time Kyle is just like “shut up that’s not a thing” and then at the episode Kyle saves everyone by giving up his secret Jew gold, and the moral of the story is “we get to make up stereotypes now because no one is gonna stop us”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 23, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sarcopenia posted:

I didn't want to say anything because I'm cis, but yeeeah. It seems like either Contra told her it was cool or because Contra says it all the time she thought it was cool and she went "oh, minority friend is cool with it". It gave me some "oh no, beloved white friend, keep me out of this" feelings of yore.

It was just a little cringe from.me every time she said it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

stillvisions posted:

I think in general South Park lowered the bar for using hateful stuff and then justifying it at the end with 30 seconds of faux-heartfelt moralizing. The people laughing at the slurs through 90% of the story still get to laugh at the slurs and then laugh at the tacked on morality, while it gives the creators and all "both sides bad" folks a fig leaf to say the show actually was making a point.

I feel like South Park was more about this attitude we had around that time where if we just made fun of everything, including ourselves, we could finally be...free? Of course that was a middle-class white dude mentality, but the Internet was overwhelmingly middle-class white dude at the time and South Park is very much a child of the Internet. I don't think the morality was tacked-on, it was actually the mission statement: don't take anything seriously and you'll be on the right path...or at least not in the wrong one, which is just as good, right?

Of course, that's a dumb way to approach issues that REALLY matter, and it turns out that trying to never be wrong about anything is fertile ground for otherization.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seriously, gently caress that mentality. It's not up to some white motherfuckers to decide for us minorities what we should be offended by.

Anyone with that mentality should kiss a beltsander for 8 hours.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adam Ruins Everything is also great because it’s self-aware of what it’s doing and how that could influence people, so the whole show is framed in a way that repeatedly makes a point of reminding you that being like Adam (the character) is not going to endear people to you.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doesn't every trailer misrepresent Tarantino movies.

What I can think of, Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction's trailers are both fairly representative of what's gonna happen. Reservoir Dogs was another though where the trailers sure liked to show and show the action that happened in like one whole scene.

Also yeah that semi-recent "Trans Sports Episode" of South Park was abysmal, the whole time it's just making GBS threads out much of the same outright proven false kind of scenarios about those scary evil trans people trying to cheat at sports! The kind of nonsense coming from idiots who still to this day wail and gnash their teeth about like Fallon Fox, because wuh oh trans lady won fights and was good, but then they also do the usual dishonest assholery of using a photo from an entirely different fight so they can say OH MY LORD SHE DESTROYED THIS POOR WOMAN THIS IS SICK because they're a bunch of pieces of poo poo who can't do anything but lie.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
South Park as a whole has been going through some weird downward spiral ever since Trump got elected and the world just became crazier than the show itself.
They at least had some decent episodes per season before then.
(Though I did enjoy the Pandemic special, but maybe that was just because I was desperate for any levity)