Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve been getting into the history of trade empires and the dynamics of power that has less to do
with conquest and more to do with concentrating wealth (though, obviously, a lot of conquest was happening too). That’s the best Grand Strategy to play around with this?

CK2 with Republic DLC? EU IV as Venice or England or Netherlands? Stellaris (I know little about Stellaris). I presume not HOI and not Imperator but could be wrong.

Can't speak for EU IV, but in CK2, you can play as Venice without conquering anything else, and still have the largest army in the world while being filthy rich. Also works for Pisa, Genoa, etc., as well as player created merchant republics.

Edit: You need The Republic DLC, as well as the Legacy of Rome DLC to get retinues, which are the way merchant republics get their standing armies.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
In EU4 playing as a mercantile nation that concentrates on colonies and trade routes is a very viable path to success. Portugal is a good new player friendly nation to try this with (keep Spain friendly and you can effectively just dabble in colonies and trading posts forever), England is also good if you can get past the initial clusterfuck of the War of the Roses and uniting the UK. You'll probably need some DLC. (Art of War you'll want regardless, Wealth of Nations and Res Publica add features for merchant republics, El Dorado if you go heavy on colonizing the Americas)

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Portugal

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 19, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Torrannor posted:

Can't speak for EU IV, but in CK2, you can play as Venice without conquering anything else, and still have the largest army in the world while being filthy rich. Also works for Pisa, Genoa, etc., as well as player created merchant republics.

Edit: You need The Republic DLC, as well as the Legacy of Rome DLC to get retinues, which are the way merchant republics get their standing armies.

But it doesn’t really feel like you’re interacting with trade at all. You have trade themed buildings that just arbitrarily make lots of money. EU4 is probably the closest.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There's also Victoria 2 if you want to try to understand a trade system no one can possibly understand.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Vic2 is the only game I can think of where you can crash the entire world economy with artisans. Or cause a complete market implosion by making other countries factories so unprofitable they shut down and then deleting your own.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I am seconding Portugal in EU4 for a trade empire feel.

If you are more interested in managing prices and quantities of specific trade goods, than Vicky 2 is the way to go.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

vicky 2 is the most fun game to interact with trade because much like real trade it is just complete madness.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve been getting into the history of trade empires and the dynamics of power that has less to do
with conquest and more to do with concentrating wealth (though, obviously, a lot of conquest was happening too). That’s the best Grand Strategy to play around with this?

CK2 with Republic DLC? EU IV as Venice or England or Netherlands? Stellaris (I know little about Stellaris). I presume not HOI and not Imperator but could be wrong.

Not exactly a grand strategy but try out imperialism I and II on gog sometimes. Highly underrated games about managing trade and acquiring and processing resources to give yourself a leg up on your rivals

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Not exactly a grand strategy but try out imperialism I and II on gog sometimes. Highly underrated games about managing trade and acquiring and processing resources to give yourself a leg up on your rivals

Heck yep! Imperialism 1 was one of the first pc games I ever played, and I still bang thru it once every year or so.

Imperialism 2 didn't quite hold me the same way, but it's still good.

It's a fairly simple formula, it's crazy no one has done a modern reboot of it.

If you like the industrial era, imperialism 1 if you prefer the age of discovery imperialism 2.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Vicky's better in general for economy but for specifically feeling like a trade empire, and actually feeling like you're making a difference, I think EU4 is way better.

For goods production / production lines with a little bit of trade empire-ing I'd also recommend Anno (1800 is what I've played but I assume all do it).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Anno 1800.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

One of EU4's primary ways of growing your economy revolves around getting a tradechain that pulls value from one (or more) corner of the world to you. I'd recommend it over V2 even in terms of how well you can interact with the economy, in V2 it's often well beyond your control.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks friends!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rynoto posted:

Vic2 is the only game I can think of where you can crash the entire world economy with artisans. Or cause a complete market implosion by making other countries factories so unprofitable they shut down and then deleting your own.

Playing as russia, building a poo poo ton of artillery factories, recruiting a poo poo ton of artillery units and getting a poo poo ton of money due to increase in demand.

Or finding a way to civilize as China, use up all your manpower to build infantry and literally stop the world's production of armies.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Koramei posted:

Vicky's better in general for economy but for specifically feeling like a trade empire, and actually feeling like you're making a difference, I think EU4 is way better.

YF-23 posted:

One of EU4's primary ways of growing your economy revolves around getting a tradechain that pulls value from one (or more) corner of the world to you. I'd recommend it over V2 even in terms of how well you can interact with the economy, in V2 it's often well beyond your control.

I'm late but I just want to say that EUIV's tying of trade to place and geography puts it light years ahead of every other Paradox game on that front. The way it ends up touching every other system in the game is transformative, it stitches the whole thing together.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vicky does tie trade to geography though, not through imaginary trade lines,but by the placement of it's resources. It's not perfect, but neither is the way EUIV's trade routes force trade into certain nodes even if it doesn't make sense in the context of the world

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah EU4 is fine if you want to role play as a European trading empire but the actual trade system itself isn't like, amazing or terribly mechanically involved. Trade goods mostly only matter in terms of monetary value and trade routes and stuff like changing value of resources due to supply and demand are all hard coded and inflexible. It's more of a simulation of taxing static trade routes than the player actually doing any trading themselves, and the trade routes are all laid out eurocentrically in a way that ends up being kinda railroady in some regions.

It's fine as an element of a game about warfare and conquest because it gives you set directions of where to conquer to make the most money, but it's static in a way that really shows once you get out of Europe. Like if you're playing as Japan, there's no way for 'trade' from indochina to get to Japan, but trade from the Philippines can, etc etc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Vicky does tie trade to geography though, not through imaginary trade lines,but by the placement of it's resources. It's not perfect, but neither is the way EUIV's trade routes force trade into certain nodes even if it doesn't make sense in the context of the world

Hmm, no. Vicky ties production to location, but that’s not the same thing. Honestly, I’d go so far as to say that Vicky has no trade at all. It has a market, with buyers and sellers, but the relative positions of the two don’t matter at all. Goods don’t travel, they teleport. there’s barely a distinction between domestic and foreign buyers.

Most importantly, there’s no way to make money off being the man in the middle- off of being the guy who moves goods from A to B. By the end of Vicky’s period Norway had the world’s fourth largest merchant marine. In the game, this is an incoherent statement. What’s a merchant navy? How could Norway, a subarctic rock whose primary export is fish, possibly have been so successful? How can you profit from the production of someone you don’t own? Vicky has no answers to these questions.

And I’m not saying it necessarily needs to! (Though it would be a nice option for countries who need to find capital to industrialise and have limited options for domestic production.) It’s entirely appropriate to the history of the period for the game to care a great deal about production and not at all about how products move around. But it does mean it’s not doing “trade” per se.

Red Bones posted:

Yeah EU4 is fine if you want to role play as a European trading empire but the actual trade system itself isn't like, amazing or terribly mechanically involved. Trade goods mostly only matter in terms of monetary value and trade routes and stuff like changing value of resources due to supply and demand are all hard coded and inflexible. It's more of a simulation of taxing static trade routes than the player actually doing any trading themselves, and the trade routes are all laid out eurocentrically in a way that ends up being kinda railroady in some regions.

It's fine as an element of a game about warfare and conquest because it gives you set directions of where to conquer to make the most money, but it's static in a way that really shows once you get out of Europe. Like if you're playing as Japan, there's no way for 'trade' from indochina to get to Japan, but trade from the Philippines can, etc etc.

Right, I’m not saying that the system is transformative in itself, but in the way that it’s constantly informing everything else I’m doing. I want to be here, so I need to do this. It adds structure and meaning to conquest and diplomacy and colonisation.

The trade graph being directed and acyclic (static is less of a problem, imo) is bad, yeah, I hope that’s something they find a solution for in 5.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Hmm, no. Vicky ties production to location, but that’s not the same thing. Honestly, I’d go so far as to say that Vicky has no trade at all. It has a market, with buyers and sellers, but the relative positions of the two don’t matter at all. Goods don’t travel, they teleport. there’s barely a distinction between domestic and foreign buyers.

Most importantly, there’s no way to make money off being the man in the middle- off of being the guy who moves goods from A to B. By the end of Vicky’s period Norway had the world’s fourth largest merchant marine. In the game, this is an incoherent statement. What’s a merchant navy? How could Norway, a subarctic rock whose primary export is fish, possibly have been so successful? How can you profit from the production of someone you don’t own? Vicky has no answers to these questions.

And I’m not saying it necessarily needs to! (Though it would be a nice option for countries who need to find capital to industrialise and have limited options for domestic production.) It’s entirely appropriate to the history of the period for the game to care a great deal about production and not at all about how products move around. But it does mean it’s not doing “trade” per se.
It is doing trade, it's just treating physical goods as if they were stocks - which is why it's probably the weakest part of the game.

As for how you'd actually model the physical movement of gods, overseas transportation of goods might actually be the easiest part to add to a hypothetical V3. Ports determine the volume that can flow into your country from overseas, while supply and demand for shipping define how much the cost of goods go up, with that increase ending up in the pockets of the owners of merchant marines. A little harder to figure out overland transportation, given that it's not as simple as moving from A to B, but you probably don't have to model it to the finest detail - just make it detailed enough that it seems proportional to overseas trade. I feel like even a small improvement here would do a lot to make the economy feel more real.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Right, I’m not saying that the system is transformative in itself, but in the way that it’s constantly informing everything else I’m doing. I want to be here, so I need to do this. It adds structure and meaning to conquest and diplomacy and colonisation.

The trade graph being directed and acyclic (static is less of a problem, imo) is bad, yeah, I hope that’s something they find a solution for in 5.

I'm not sure how they'd construct a hypothetical EU5 in a way that creates those middle-ground 'profiting from trade route' countries in a way that the AI can actually handle and that isn't also a gigantic pain in the rear end for players. Like, I can imagine a hypothetical system where all trade is done point-to-point and limits on trade routes are just calculated in the same way that movement for units is calculated, and in that system if you (for example) had the range to send a boat from portugal to East Africa without atrition, you would then find an East African country, make a diplomatic agreement to use their port in exchange for a fee, and then your range is bumped up so you can reach India and ship spices back from India to Portugal, with East Africa taking a cut. Or as, say, the Mamluks, you're buying spices from India and you have a big stockpile that you're marking up the prices on, and the Portugese are buying directly from you.

But either of those hypotheticals run into problems when you're simulating an entire planet of what, 300-odd independent AI controlled nations, and they're ALL making trade agreements.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Gosh sorry but I hate that. It's how every other game does it and it's exactly why I like EU4's system so much more; rather than being the weird-rear end monarch that's managing individual shipments and inventories, you just affect the flow of the trade on a macro level. It makes it all feel so much larger and like you're actually leading a country.

I guess we have very different conceptions of what makes for trade in these games though. I want nothing to do with the individual goods; if I wanted that I'd play Anno, since that game lets you touch on the goods throughout the entire process. EU4 is about nations and empire building and trade is reflected on that in a way that makes sense on a national level and for building empires; I'd honestly like to see the trade goods EU4 does have abstracted somehow. Something to do with trade treaties might be interesting I suppose since right now everything revolves around racing colonization and taking strategic land, but civ-like point to point trade is the last place I want them to take it.

Eurocentrism is definitely a huge problem in the EU4 system though yeah, but for the major European colonial powers it owns. I have 1000something hours in EU4 and by far the majority of them are as trading powers rather than doing much land warring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
EU trade is rather static and you don’t have much control over it. You can manipulate it but only a bit and in a very video games way. It’s kind of a word system

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I think collecting profits from being the middle man is super trivial to solve with even the current model (though i'd not recommend it before the other issues with the graph are resolved) - right now, transferring trade strictly increases the value of the trade. Instead, have trade power % in a node you transfer from come with a cost, and trade power % in a node you collect from be the profits from that and the current trade value.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

CharlestheHammer posted:

EU trade is rather static and you don’t have much control over it. You can manipulate it but only a bit and in a very video games way. It’s kind of a word system

It's static in that you can't make it go backward, but you can have complete control over it; getting such control is one of the major goals of playing a trading nation. You can redirect 100% of the trade to where you want it to go and lock it down even in non-end nodes if you try hard enough.

It is kinda video gamey but I think captures the spirit of it much better than most games do. Especially since it's like the only game to actually imply non-state trading, or trading as a series of short trips. It does fall completely flat in representing any kind of mutual benefit though; someone ages ago in this or one of the EU4 threads characterized it as more of a wealth extraction system, which I think is pretty accurate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Koramei posted:

It's static in that you can't make it go backward, but you can have complete control over it; getting such control is one of the major goals of playing a trading nation. You can redirect 100% of the trade to where you want it to go and lock it down even in non-end nodes if you try hard enough.

It is kinda video gamey but I think captures the spirit of it much better than most games do. Especially since it's like the only game to actually imply non-state trading, or trading as a series of short trips. It does fall completely flat in representing any kind of mutual benefit though; someone ages ago in this or one of the EU4 threads characterized it as more of a wealth extraction system, which I think is pretty accurate.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a weird system but for a game like EU where trading isn’t a high priority for most it does what it needs to do

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What they could do is make the edges between trade nodes bidirectional, and then instead of a global price of a good, have local prices in each trade node. Calculate the price based on supply and demand. The player can tell their merchant fleet / trade caravans to operate in certain nodes, and they automatically will shuttle goods from where they have low cost to where they have higher cost, earning the player a profit. The quantity that can be transferred is proportional to the size of the fleet/caravan. Improving technology or building infrastructure lets you transfer more with less. This would work for both EU5 and V3 I think. You pay other countries fees for crossing through their land and using their ports.

This opens a lot of play styles: you can try to conquer enough land to hold the entire route yourself including the origin of the goods you want, you can be diplomatic and try to negotiate for better docking fees with others, or you can just build a ton of merchant ships and laugh as you make money carrying other people's stuff.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

In EU4 being a country that's on a source node isn't a trade death sentence anyway. You can move your trade capital without any real restrictions, so you are still incentivised to conquer based on trade routes and collect from a better node than the one you started out on. The only difference is that you're working your way downstream rather than upstream, and because moving the trade capital all the time can be somewhat of a pain you are perhaps incentivised to corner regional rather than global trade.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/year-end-report-2020/

Mixed bag for Paradox. Huge hit with CK3. But looks like Bloodlines is effectively cancelled. Other unannounced games (Vic3) delayed.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oof. A lot of very unhappy campers in the Twitter iterations of those announcements. Development's not likely to pick up for most of this year either, so it might be a while before we get more updates on that.

Been playing a lot of HoI4 myself, just generally screwing around.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I feel obliged to say that Imperator is Actually Good Now if your passion for new Paradox games needs to be slaked, though the usual immediate post patch caveats apply.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/year-end-report-2020/

Mixed bag for Paradox. Huge hit with CK3. But looks like Bloodlines is effectively cancelled. Other unannounced games (Vic3) delayed.

based on what you linked, bloodlines isn't exactly canceled; just in such sorry shape that they're seizing the work done so far from the current developers and turning it over to a different studio to retool for at least a year

honestly probably for the best. a lot of publishers would have just said "lol release anyway, the goth money is guaranteed" and then had a huge failure on their hands

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel obliged to say that Imperator is Actually Good Now if your passion for new Paradox games needs to be slaked, though the usual immediate post patch caveats apply.

It's true

Jazerus posted:

based on what you linked, bloodlines isn't exactly canceled; just in such sorry shape that they're seizing the work done so far from the current developers and turning it over to a different studio to retool for at least a year

Didn't they do this once already lol?

e: How hard is it to make an rpg about murder goths this concept is cursed apparently

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

How hard is it to make an rpg about murder goths this concept is cursed apparently

RPGs are inherently susceptible to feature creep because they always encourage questions like, "Well what if my character did this instead?"

There's a reason every AAA RPG developer is infamous for troubled development.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

e: How hard is it to make an rpg about murder goths this concept is cursed apparently
It’s like being a mod or a politician: Anyone who wants to do it shouldn’t be allowed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Didn't they do this once already lol?

Yeah they had to take and develop crusader kings I themselves because the Russian studio they originally had doing it wasn't able to get it done

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I really doubt this will ever be released.

But if it is, then how about giving East v West to another studio huh Paradox?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The unannounced game is Magna Mundi. The Barça studio is so ubik doesn’t have to travel far.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The unannounced game is Magna Mundi. The Barça studio is so ubik doesn’t have to travel far.

I'm betting it's Iron Cross 2.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

you fools, it's march of the eagles 2, which will be the tech demo for EU5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

ItohRespectArmy posted:

you fools, it's march of the eagles 2, which will be the tech demo for EU5

CK3 was a tech demo for Sengoku 2.