Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Does this mean Hogan and Rodman banged in kayfabe?

Edit: What a way to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TheKingslayer posted:

I had no idea how relatively quick the Arquette angle happened after the title reset. Holy poo poo.

It's crazy because Russo and Jarrett were obviously mates, so surely Russo will book a strong first world championship run for him, right? No, he loses the title a week later to DDP... and then David Arquette wins the belt a day later by pinning Eric Bischoff. All this just so Jarrett can win the title again at the next PPV and Bischoff can "screw DDP". Somehow it doesn't seem like the best plan, either in kayfabe or in terms of booking...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's crazy because Russo and Jarrett were obviously mates, so surely Russo will book a strong first world championship run for him, right? No, he loses the title a week later to DDP... and then David Arquette wins the belt a day later by pinning Eric Bischoff. All this just so Jarrett can win the title again at the next PPV and Bischoff can "screw DDP". Somehow it doesn't seem like the best plan, either in kayfabe or in terms of booking...

Well what drives me crazy about this other than the fact they apparently made DDP champion just to make him not champion (because it's funny I guess?) is they've already set the precedent that they can and will strip titles at any time and they obviously want one guy to have it even if it's the biggest sham. So in kayfabe why should the talent or fans be invested at all in the idea that a good guy can win the belt?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TheKingslayer posted:

Well what drives me crazy about this other than the fact they apparently made DDP champion just to make him not champion (because it's funny I guess?) is they've already set the precedent that they can and will strip titles at any time and they obviously want one guy to have it even if it's the biggest sham. So in kayfabe why should the talent or fans be invested at all in the idea that a good guy can win the belt?

I get you, and something similar that plagued this era of WCW was the idea that "refs don't matter". Russo and others cut promos multiple times stating that there "will be no rules", and wrestlers were seemingly encouraged to berate refs whenever they wished, even if they were popular babyfaces. Hell, if I remember correctly, the Thunder right before Slamboree had Russo claim that there will be no refs at all that night... and then guys still win by submission and pinfall in several matches, and the show ends with a battle royal where people just randomly enter as it goes on... and this battle royal was won by Ric Flair, who was feuding with Russo anyway. And I think this was Randy Savage's last WCW appearance?

Don't worry though, because soon Goldberg will REFUSE TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
From the point that Hollywood Hulk Hogan beat the Giant for the World Title at Road Wild 1996, here's how the title changed hands:
***1997***
1) Lex Luger beats Hogan clean.
2) Hogan regains the title thanks to a fake Sting attacking Luger with a bat

***1998***
3) Sting wins the belt after losing the match due to a not-fast fast count and Bret Hart coming down to restart the match. Belt is vacated
4) Sting wins the match for the vacant title after Savage attacks Hogan while the ref is down
5) Savage beats Sting after Hogan and Nash run in, bump the ref, attack Sting, drape an unconscious Savage over Sting
6) Hogan beats Savage after Hogan belt shots Savage, Nash runs in to attack Hogan and drape an unconscious Savage over Hogan, but Bret Hart lays out Nash and puts KO'd Hogan on top of KO'd Savage
7) Goldberg beats Hogan clean
8) Nash beats Goldberg when Scott Hall in disguise tasers Goldberg

***1999***
9) Fingerpoke of Doom
10) Ric Flair beats Hogan in a First Blood steel cage match where both men bleed a lot and Ric Flair is slipped a tire iron to whack Hogan and get a three count via submission
11) DDP steals a pin from Sting in a four way match but this is basically a clean win.
12) Sting beats DDP clean in a rematch the next night.
13) DDP beats Sting to win the belt back later the same night, using brass knuckles provided by Savage and turning heel
14) Nash beats DDP clean
15) Randy Savage beats Nash in a tag match after Gorgeous George re-turns heel and nutshots Nash
16) Hogan beats Savage the next night after Kevin Nash runs in to powerbomb Savage and drapes an unconscious Hogan on top
17) Sting beats Hogan after DDP, Hart, and Luger come down to attack Hogan, Sting takes a bat from Luger and hits Hogan, turning heel. The belt is vacated after Goldberg beats Sting in a non-title(?) match and Sting attacks the ref
18) Bret Hart beats Chris Benoit clean in a tournament for the vacant belt. Hart beats Goldberg in a Montreal Screwjob finish involving Roddy Piper(?) and feels bad about it and vacates the belt.
19) Bret Hart has a rematch with Goldberg the next night where he punches Goldberg in the dick and then Goldberg gets triple teamed and the NWO 2000 forms. Hart vacates the belt again after it turns out he got a bunch of concussions in the Goldberg matches and he ends up retiring.

***2000***
20) Chris Benoit beats Sid Vicious clean* (Sid's arm was under the rope) but quits the company the next day so the belt is vacated
21) Sid Vicious beats Kevin Nash after hitting him with the guitar intended for him. Sid is stripped the following week for pinning the wrong Harris Brother in a qualifying match.
22) Kevin Nash, as commissioner, declares himself champion on Thunder
23) Sid beats Nash in a handicap cage match to regain the title. He is stripped of the title when Bischoff/Russo come in.
24) Jeff Jarrett wins a tournament when DDP's wife turns on him and hits him with a guitar
25) DDP beats Jarrett a week later in a mostly clean cage match despite multiple people interfering
26) David Arquette

It's hard to say when "why would anyone get invested in the title" started, but it was probably before the Bischoff/Russo reboot happened.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Edge & Christian posted:

***1998***
3) Sting wins the belt after losing the match due to a not-fast fast count and Bret Hart coming down to restart the match. Belt is vacated
This actually happened in 1997

\/\/ misread that, my bad

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 20, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nick Jr. Face posted:

This actually happened in 1997

the match was in December 1997 but the title wasn't vacated until the next month

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Getting clean wins out of the guys on top of WCW was probably like pulling teeth.
Also Bischoff and Russo both taking the lesson of 'the masses watch wrestling for the spectacle rather than actual wrestling' didn't help. Even if was true in the 90s.

Edge & Christian posted:

It's hard to say when "why would anyone get invested in the title" started, but it was probably before the Bischoff/Russo reboot happened.

I will forever insist that it was the beginning of 99 when WCW started slipping in the ratings and Bischoff went into panic mode. Abandoning the Goldberg angle and taking him out of the picture, turning Hogan, Nash, Flair and DDP for no reason then having Flair win the title in the cage is when things started to make little to no sense and nothing meant anything.
Because at least after the fingerpoke you'd imagine people would be invested in Goldberg getting the title back at least.

I have a friend who insists it started with Nick Patrick's slow fast count at Starrcade 98. What should have been a simple changing of the guard between Hogan and Sting became an asinine overbooked boondoggle (featuring a non-existent fast count that completely cheapened Sting's win) that ultimately benefited nobody but Hogan. Just as Hogan wanted it I'm sure. I don't quite agree given how strong business remained in 98 (and how absolutely hype people were for Goldberg's title win) but it was at the very least a 'trouble ahead' sign.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 20, 2021

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Does anyone know when they announced the second 89 steamboat flair match would be 2 out of 3 falls? Ive been watching the tv promos and segments after the first match but I never heard anything about the stip and neither have mentioned it. Maybe its on an ep I can't find online or possibly a house show.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

He might not have intended to be on TV initially, but I mean, when he books himself to beat the poo poo out of Booker T* and then win the Big Gold Belt off of him (even if the win was flukey), it's pretty clear that his ego is now a significant factor in how he books the main event scene.

*Seriously, he spends way too much time in that match just battering the gently caress out of Booker T.

it's also hilarious because he then has his concussion issues and becomes persona non grata like a week later

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Suplex Liberace posted:

Does anyone know when they announced the second 89 steamboat flair match would be 2 out of 3 falls? Ive been watching the tv promos and segments after the first match but I never heard anything about the stip and neither have mentioned it. Maybe its on an ep I can't find online or possibly a house show.

It was at least mentioned the week of in a TV Guide ad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it's also hilarious because he then has his concussion issues and becomes persona non grata like a week later

I love Bryan and Vinny's review of Russo winning the belt. Vinny: "Russo so far has been the better man!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/80sWrestling_/status/1363471590130921472?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so fuckin much dad energy in that picture

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ivs always wanted that sweater

Davros1 posted:

It was at least mentioned the week of in a TV Guide ad

This is very cool thank you. I still haven't figured it out

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Arn had such chubby cheeks :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Really the best thing there is the 3 cheesiest fuckin dad grins you could possibly find... and Tully looking bored out of his loving skull.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Photo of Arn with his wee tooth poking out of his awkward smile is an all-timer. Someone had it as an avatar on DVDVR once upon a time & it always made me smile.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DJExile posted:

Really the best thing there is the 3 cheesiest fuckin dad grins you could possibly find... and Tully looking bored out of his loving skull.

He's the dad of the dads and he's had enough goofin around

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna go in the backyard with them and toss the football around a bit, maybe do a little 2v2 tackle with steady QB before dinner, it's fall and amber gold leaves are stuck in the nature boys beautiful locks

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tank Abbot, Three Count Superfan is an extremely dumb use of your shoot fighter guy. But on the other hand, Tank Abbot, Three Count Superfan is absolutely tremendous.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Tank Abbot, Three Count Superfan is an extremely dumb use of your shoot fighter guy. But on the other hand, Tank Abbot, Three Count Superfan is absolutely tremendous.

Plus, he was clearly having an absolute blast, so more power to him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Lex, when I said 'smile' I didn't mean 'rictus grin' oh... never mind, that's good enough."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
THE MEN

THE SYMBOL

THE LOOK

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lex looks like that bit Conan O'Brian did where he plastered on a big smile and then Andy would shove his hand into a thumbs up

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vagabundo posted:

Plus, he was clearly having an absolute blast, so more power to him.

What are some more examples of this? Dumb/silly angles where the people involved later talk about it fondly, or were just really clear about loving it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

What are some more examples of this? Dumb/silly angles where the people involved later talk about it fondly, or were just really clear about loving it.

Pretty sure Santino loved his gimmick

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Red posted:

Apparently he's a dick nowadays (and may have been back in the day) but Bryan and Vinny raved about how Jacques Rougeau was clearly having the time of his fuckin' life every time he was on camera as The Mountie, and compared him to Toru Yano in that regard.

E: Here we go

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Red posted:

Saturn and Moppy?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Tully has never once looked like a normal human person in a photograph pre-2000

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1364304282414112778

lmao

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was gonna finish that sentence with "Rick and Scott Steiner hate each other's guts"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question:

Back when Russo was with WWF, especially when he was head writer, was it all/mostly written by him? Or was it is as it is today, written by committee/writers room, and then thrown away and re-written by Vince?

I think when he was with WCW he had more control. But even so, were the wrestlers forced to recite his promos verbatim as they are now, or could they at least try to get some wriggle room, and/or license to perform it their way around the edges?

there was a committee in 97, that's the famous vince/russo/cornette/prichard committee that did some of the best booking wwf ever had. in 98 until russo left afaik it was ferrara, russo with vince giving the final confirmation. so it was mostly him, but vince had to give him the go ahead

afaik russo only had lower card guys do the crazy verbatim promos in wcw. zero way he's telling sting or hogan what lines to say. he'd give them booking information and bullet points but that's it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Maxwell Lord posted:

I thought he was gonna finish that sentence with "Rick and Scott Steiner hate each other's guts"
Hahaha, same.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Is this new?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAx7Wc6sp9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWpdEV9bQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxmMQMgO0so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz_JTbqm0aY

Lid fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 24, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A classmate of mine had the Goldberg action figure that moved its arms when you pushed a button on its back. He put both arms over the groin area and made it look like Goldberg was having a massive, two-handed wank.

That's my WCW action figure story, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
pretty cool buff bagwell’s hat can fire a missile he should have done that to save his wife from the pole.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Vagabundo posted:

A classmate of mine had the Goldberg action figure that moved its arms when you pushed a button on its back. He put both arms over the groin area and made it look like Goldberg was having a massive, two-handed wank.

That's my WCW action figure story, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

I had a Kevin Nash one that was probably from the same line. He also liked to wank a lot. Someone on Twitter should let Big Sexy know because I'm sure he would appreciate it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I suspect a lot of kids who had those action figures did that.

It's certainly something that I think about at some stage when I watch a Goldberg match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I have a few Hollywood Hogan Christmas ornaments in my living room. I should raffle those off to a lucky goon next Christmas.