Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

that feeling when you bite into a pickle and it's a little squishier than you expected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHjRQwEQjJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DeafNote posted:

South Park as a whole has been going through some weird downward spiral ever since Trump got elected and the world just became crazier than the show itself.
They at least had some decent episodes per season before then.
(Though I did enjoy the Pandemic special, but maybe that was just because I was desperate for any levity)

Agreed. The last couple of seasons just weren't fun at all, the Tagridy Farms bit just isn't funny and even the characters are sick of it. I still don't know why they're doing it.

But at least Trey and Matt can produce good stuff outside of SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WfZuNceFDM

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i don't think south park caused the anti semtism thing. i more mean the "gently caress em all" gen X poo poo mixed with online culture/edgelord irony humor/toxic lifestyle of internet troll groups. south park is one of many factors and not a fully intentional one. poo poo mixes and poo poo.
Do we live in the same country?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is he a weird channer type chuddish dude or not? like i remember he did a TON of poo poo about channers stealing la boufs dumb rear end flag for his weird art statements against trump.

He's kind of an old school 4channer in some of his lolrandom humor but never struck me as being an actual chud.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Eyebrow Cinema-"Chris Benoit and Separating the Art from the Artist"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGavvwRyomE&ab_channel=EyebrowCinema

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

And Hats Off Entertainment brings us the life of Gene Wilder in his own words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoJMkIshGHY

I've really been enjoying Hats Off's stuff. Their episode on the Universal cinematic universe (being Abbot & Costello meet the Universal Monsters series) was great and I love their Forgotten Failures series on stuff like The Chevy Chase Show or the Geico Cavemen sitcom.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sarcopenia posted:

for people who the name doesn't ring a bell, Benoit was a famous wrestler who had untreated mental issues (possibly related to injuries he sustained during his job) leading up to him killing his wife and kid and then himself

I don't want to watch this video so I don't know how up front it's going to be about it but that's what "the artist" did that you'd be trying to forget while he suplexes someone or something like that. maybe a little harder when you see him get a bunch of unprotected chair shots to the head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

flatluigi posted:

for people who the name doesn't ring a bell, Benoit was a famous wrestler who had untreated mental issues (possibly related to injuries he sustained during his job) leading up to him killing his wife and kid and then himself

I don't want to watch this video so I don't know how up front it's going to be about it but that's what "the artist" did that you'd be trying to forget while he suplexes someone or something like that. maybe a little harder when you see him get a bunch of unprotected chair shots to the head.

Or that one of his finishers was a diving headbutt off the top rope.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If I'm remembering right his autopsy revealed he had the brain of an 80 something Alzheimer's patient. Vice did a good series called the Dark Side of the Ring and two episodes were devoted to the Benoit story.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

the last three pages itt

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's kind of hard to separate in Benoit's case when you have the announcers casually calling him poo poo like "a cold-hearted killing machine"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Benoit's brain was absolute trashed from taking unprotected chair shots, diving head-first onto the mat and god know what else.

I don't really have any trouble separating him in the ring vs what he did in real life, the man was a good performer and he always seemed to be giving it his all. Though watching his matches and seeing him doing those diving head-butts is really uncomfortable these days..

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It says a lot that a video creator can make an hour-long on transphobia in pop culture, and it is like 100% focused on trans women. Not so much about Lindsay, but how obsessed our culture is with a man....becoming a woman!?!? The only recent film involving a trans man I can remember is the whole Scarlett Johansson shitshow. And mainstream culture is only just starting to acknowledge that people exist off the binary.

Something something patriarchy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

It says a lot that a video creator can make an hour-long on transphobia in pop culture, and it is like 100% focused on trans women. Not so much about Lindsay, but how obsessed our culture is with a man....becoming a woman!?!? The only recent film involving a trans man I can remember is the whole Scarlett Johansson shitshow. And mainstream culture is only just starting to acknowledge that people exist off the binary.

Something something patriarchy.

It's like how the 20th century was obsessed with the possibility of boys being gay and built all kinds of weird cultural apparatuses to stop it in boarding schools or wherever, but nobody ever bothered thinking about whether there were girls at Wellesley or teaching colleges gaying it up every day etc. Or the obsession with gay men becoming teachers because they would seduce the boys into being gay, but there was never any concern about gay women being teachers, even though it was a stereotype that female teachers would remain unmarrried and teachign was one of the few professions that women could enter that would allow them economic freedom outside of marriage to a man.

Or like how the 19th century invented corn flakes and penis armor to stop male children from masturbating, but nobody ever wondered if girls jacked off.

That invisibility might be nice in some ways but is probably also terrible in a lot of ways.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bonaventure posted:

the last three pages itt

Anyone read this? I've read and liked some of Beran's essays but the book's title has me thinking he's overreaching.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Even if it takes the track of 'SA caused 4chan and 4chan got us Trump' it's a massive overblowing of how much the scary internet trolls had to do with the election so I'm safe calling it trash without reading it. Like, even at it's most dramatic the facebook and twitter poo poo was SO granular and weirdly hyper targeted at already conservative demos even the russiagate diehards had to admit it wasn't much when the report said some of the biggest 'internet wins' for Trump were poo poo like a loving fake leather goods company saying Hillary was bad.

The idea 'internet trolls' got us Trump is just a real cool way to ignore the complete disaster of the Clinton campaign and the structural failings of the Obama era

Archer666 posted:

Benoit's brain was absolute trashed from taking unprotected chair shots, diving head-first onto the mat and god know what else.

I don't really have any trouble separating him in the ring vs what he did in real life, the man was a good performer and he always seemed to be giving it his all. Though watching his matches and seeing him doing those diving head-butts is really uncomfortable these days..

yea I've been a wrasslin fan long enough to know 99% of the time poo poo like Benoit is the horrible company exploiting a guy who had real talent and seemed to genuinely enjoy performing and doing the stupid poo poo they let him do until it turned his brain into mashed potatoes and all but even then it's really hard to watch some of his best things because boy did he love the diving headbutt. I mean, I can see why, it's a cool as hell move, but yea someone 100% needed to step in and go 'hey Chris? Diving headbutts are a sometimes move, buddy'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 23, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Anyone read this? I've read and liked some of Beran's essays but the book's title has me thinking he's overreaching.

He was the one who wrote the medium post about 4chan being the key to understanding Trump's appeal, right? I think the book is mostly about 4chan and the alt-right, which would still be reaching in terms of explaining how Trump won in 2016.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

flatluigi posted:

The video is literally about how some artist's works are intrinsically linked to their awful deeds and that it's cowardly to say "we" as a society instead of "I" as an individual when you make the choice of separating the art from the artist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the idea that even half of Trump's base was 'alt-right' is so loving stupid. They were just republicans, folks! There's no 'alt', Richard Spencer's only difference from Chuck Grassley is Chuck probably says the k-slur more in private, it's just a branding thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

yea the idea that even half of Trump's base was 'alt-right' is so loving stupid. They were just republicans, folks! There's no 'alt', Richard Spencer's only difference from Chuck Grassley is Chuck probably says the k-slur more in private, it's just a branding thing.

Trump got a lower share of the vote than Romney when he beat Clinton it's so weird how people act like it was some titanic shift. Trump is Reagan. Gamergate didn't get him elected, /pol/ didn't get him elected, the same economically comfortable suburban shitheads that vote for anyone with an R next to their name got him elected. Just turns out you don't need to put on a serious face for those people because they're the dumbest hogs this planet has ever produced and they wanted someone like them up there on stage.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 23, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwD8S5UAOQY

Phillip is about a year late to the party but he has a Doom Eternal video and I like listening to his voice.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sarcopenia posted:

The video is literally about how some artist's works are intrinsically linked to their awful deeds and that it's cowardly to say "we" as a society instead of "I" as an individual when you make the choice of separating the art from the artist.

that's good! i still don't want to watch the video, but i'm glad it's saying something against the idea of separating the art from the artist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mokinokaro posted:

He's kind of an old school 4channer in some of his lolrandom humor but never struck me as being an actual chud.

so me then. got it, thanks.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Popular Morrowind streamer Natalie Wynn's thoughts on the whiteness of Breadtube, with a side order of stopping certain groups of her fans from being lovely, feels like it's worth posting.

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1364059709456711680

There's certainly some cool creators in there who I hadn't seen before too.

One point that seems to be expanded upon in the comments is how a lot of these BIPOC creators predate the rise of "BreadTube" by years and they were, for a long time, the main voice on YouTube when it came to various left-wing social issues. Kat Blaque is the big one who's still around today, same as T1J -- those two I think have been going in some form or another since drat near the beginning of YouTube. Others like Marinashutup and Chescaleigh seem to have pretty much left the platform.

And I suppose the general overarching thing here is creators trying to get away from "BreadTube" in general because it's all a bit too white and homogenous. We'll see if that actually happens I guess or the end result of this is another New Atheism/Atheism+ style break.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
wonderbreadtube lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Breadtube was fanfiction written by a bunch of reddit posters whose prior background in politics was video games and confidence that Bernie would have won. It was just a coincidence that some of the video makers they liked knew each other in real life/the economy of youtube requires that content creators network or find representation by the same agencies in order to survive. I've never seen a video use "breadtube" to refer to any movement or network that actually exists, or to do anything other than ridicule the idea of breadtube, though there's probably a whole galaxy of trots and doctrinaire communists of all kinds that just rant into a camera about geohell like they're maoist Sargon and you can't make me watch them.

Marina Watanabe quit youtube because she graduated and got a job for a feminist magazine, I think.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

And I suppose the general overarching thing here is creators trying to get away from "BreadTube" in general because it's all a bit too white and homogenous. We'll see if that actually happens I guess or the end result of this is another New Atheism/Atheism+ style break.
This would require it to have any sort of internal structure to begin with rather than being an entirely externally applied label. If Chapo had video skits it'd be called breadtube.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Breadtube was fanfiction written by a bunch of reddit posters whose prior background in politics was video games and confidence that Bernie would have won. It was just a coincidence that some of the video makers they liked knew each other in real life/the economy of youtube requires that content creators network or find representation by the same agencies in order to survive. I've never seen a video use "breadtube" to refer to any movement or network that actually exists, or to do anything other than ridicule the idea of breadtube, though there's probably a whole galaxy of trots and doctrinaire communists of all kinds that just rant into a camera about geohell like they're maoist Sargon and you can't make me watch them.

Marina Watanabe quit youtube because she graduated and got a job for a feminist magazine, I think.
People are just loving obsessed with created interconnected webs of things that are vaguely related to each other

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sarcopenia posted:

this felt very recipe-like in that there was several paragraphs of the author's life before the actual content, but the actual content is about how those paragraphs inform how we interpret the artist and therefore the art, and vice versa.
i especially liked how they pointed out that whether the problematic artist makes money is often used as a measurement as to whether your enjoyment of problematic content is "okay" when it can often be the case that you're still supporting the structures holding those artists up.

kind of weird to see barthes quoted in a text on wrestling but not from his writings on wrestling.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I wanna say it was an ooooold newLegacy (Really cool wrestling game dudes primarily) video, they had like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Mae Young and I think another wrestler who'd died all in a match, I can't remember from coincidence or not but either way. "If you told me that only 1 of these people would still be alive today, I wouldn't have ever told you it was Mae Young." Mae Young was like 90 at the time and then died a year or two after that remark if I remember right.

Eddie Guerrero makes me real sad too, cause I liked him a lot (Mainly back when he had long hair and was a lot more natural bodied) and watching him turn into an extremely roided out meat balloon, especially at his height of like 5'7 or around that, to satisfy Vince's extreme muscleman fetish was always going to end in tragedy.

I wish the right side was more of a slanted or side shot like the left, because his chest is like twice as far out from his frame and his arms are gigantic looking compared to OG Eddie.

Here maybe this too :smith:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 24, 2021

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

They even had loving Rey Mysterio roid out.

Funnily enough Rey Mysterio looks far healthier now than he ever did during his first WWE run.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

They even had loving Rey Mysterio roid out.

Funnily enough Rey Mysterio looks far healthier now than he ever did during his first WWE run.

Yeah, seeing shorter dudes on the roster practically double in width is pretty :stonk:

Rey is 5'6, Kalisto is 5'6, Sin Cara is 5'7 like for some reason they wanted lucha high flyers to be these Thick Beefchunk dudes.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 24, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

some reason

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Ghostlight posted:

some reason

Gary Strydom, woooow!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

some reason

jesus christ those proportions are weirdly unnerving.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ those proportions are weirdly unnerving.

Nothing weird about it. He's made his muscles grow far past the point that they would naturally, and in the process gained one of the worst roid guts I've ever seen. You can practically see his bloated organs pulsating behind his dinner roll six pack. It's perfectly natural to be unnerved!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ariong posted:

Nothing weird about it. He's made his muscles grow far past the point that they would naturally, and in the process gained one of the worst roid guts I've ever seen. You can practically see his bloated organs pulsating behind his dinner roll six pack. It's perfectly natural to be unnerved!

yeah like his head is so loving tiny and his skin looks semi translucent.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Popular Morrowind streamer Natalie Wynn's

"Come, Nerevar! Friend or traitor, come, and look upon the Discourse, and Breadtube. And bring your Twitter posts... I have need of them."

Terrible Opinions posted:

This would require it to have any sort of internal structure to begin with rather than being an entirely externally applied label. If Chapo had video skits it'd be called breadtube.

I've seen BreadTube described as being 'Channel Awesome for theater kids'.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ghostlight posted:

some reason

This is one of those "GIFs you can hear" to me, specifically Jay Hunter doing Vince-voice about "striation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I wanna say it was an ooooold newLegacy (Really cool wrestling game dudes primarily) video, they had like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Mae Young and I think another wrestler who'd died all in a match, I can't remember from coincidence or not but either way. "If you told me that only 1 of these people would still be alive today, I wouldn't have ever told you it was Mae Young." Mae Young was like 90 at the time and then died a year or two after that remark if I remember right.

Eddie Guerrero makes me real sad too, cause I liked him a lot (Mainly back when he had long hair and was a lot more natural bodied) and watching him turn into an extremely roided out meat balloon, especially at his height of like 5'7 or around that, to satisfy Vince's extreme muscleman fetish was always going to end in tragedy.

I wish the right side was more of a slanted or side shot like the left, because his chest is like twice as far out from his frame and his arms are gigantic looking compared to OG Eddie.

Here maybe this too :smith:

Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and Chris Jericho were three of my favourite mid-card WWE wrestlers and it's incredibly depressing to now think that of the three of them, Guerrero roided himself to an early grave and his heart basically exploded, Benoit went insane turned into a murderer, also because steroids, and Jericho is now a huge right wing rear end in a top hat--and it all of it happened for the sake of Vince McMahon's twisted whims.