Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I think you're more likely to get Cathay info, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am happy the total war thread has someone who argues like a libertarian now

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Badly?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sinteres posted:

I played more co-op with my brother, and between us we control everything on the donut now except for a few settlements Cothique has. I was going to leave Chrace alone too, at least until we or they finished off Skaelings (which I've since wiped out) and Aghol, but my brother confederated them and hosed up any possibility for pretty borders since he's Tyrion and I'm Alarielle and had already confederated Eltharion. I finished off Sartosa, so for the time being Noctilus showing up every now and then to get owned is really the only threat we're seeing so far since the blood voyages never showed up. Alith Anar seems to be doing a good job of dealing with the dark elves on his own so far, so I think I'll let my brother decide if there's more stuff he wants to do (like finishing off Noctilus or taking the fight to Malekith) or if he wants to try another campiagn start now that elf island is turning into a snooze.

loving up pretty borders is a pretty unforgivable crime.

That said, not all hope is lost. You can abandon settlements now in the unmodded base game, so you could do some shenanigans to get pretty borders, if you really cared about that.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

There's no way to progress a coherent discussion when poo poo like that continually happens, and it leads to more and more mischaracterization of my position. I do not have an issue with limitations. I think they are fun to work around and core to what a "game" even is. I do not want Bretonnia to become a generalist faction like the Empire. That's almost the exact opposite of my goal. What I want is give them some units that aren't loving infantry or carbon copies of existing units on other rosters, in order to make them stand out more. The Wood Elves could have just been High Elves, but more shooty... but instead they also get these crazy wood spirits and their Wild Hunt lines of light/medium cav. I just think it would be nice if Bretonnia could be characterized as "Empire, but more knightly... and they also get XXXX and YYYY." I don't especially care how to reach that point, I'm not dedicated to my unit suggestions specifically.

But Bretonnia already stand out. Both in gameplay and thematics. Part of the reason they stand out is that they have a very consistent theming - and it's that theming that you want to utterly destroy with your ideas. The Bretonians are a fairly thematically coherent mix-up of Hundred Years War English and French, Arthurian myth filtered through Mallory, and more than a splash of Robin Hood. This is an entirely consistent thematic mix. Your ideas in specific (notably ethereal and regenerating, herds of unicorns, and doggo cav (which aren't needed when you have yeomen anyway)) go about as well with this mix as Baileys does with orange juice. It's random ridiculous high fantasy and high magic crap in a pretty grounded faction.

The Grail Reliquae should have some techs of its own or even be a hero unit. But Bretonnia's top end cavalry are great - with their premier shock cavalry, the game's premier brawl cavalry, and their premier shock flying cav all having the nice Perfect Vigor/Magical Weapon combo which makes a lot of difference on the battlefield.

Is there room for more? Yes. But the obvious missing cav element to me is a cheaper version of Grail Guardians - sword and board horsemen, thoroughly armoured, and able to brawl - without lances. Oh, and brigands. Possibly also an order of beast slayers that are both AP and Anti-Large and dedicated to taking down dragons and araknarok spiders. And might even be lightly armoured by Bretonnian standards because with their favoured foes it really doesn't matter anyway.

But they already stand out both on the campaign map and on the battlefield.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just reuse the Space Marine vs Bloodthirster animations from Dawn of War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHsj5y8UL8

I loved the sync kills in Dawn of War. I know there are some in Total Warhammer 2 as well but I'd love to see unique sync kills for lords

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

stackofflapjacks posted:

Your entire schtick is dumb.

Have you played Brettonia?

I thought we were past the "you're dumb, there's only one true way to play brettonia" BS. Like, cmon. You're asking people itt if they have played the faction they're talking about? Why are Brettonia fans so toxic?

There are clearly multiple people on both sides of this stupid "argument" and neither side is somehow objectively correct lol. It's just opinions about a videogame roster

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 23, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They only put Bretonnians in the game to pander to the French

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yes, spirit/ghost/magical knights would be SO out of place in Brettonia, furthermore

Oh.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
I just don't know if I'm angry enough about Brettonia.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Noir89 posted:

My kokoro wish is still a drycha-like gnoblar lord. Just hordes upon hordes of even shittier goblins fighting with scraps and riding pigs. It will literally never happen but a man can dream right?

The real cruelty of the Cathay announcement is that it gives hope to the idea that all these outside chance armies could end up in the game, even if they most likely won't.

I also want Goblins but worse.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

neonchameleon posted:

But Bretonnia already stand out. Both in gameplay and thematics. Part of the reason they stand out is that they have a very consistent theming - and it's that theming that you want to utterly destroy with your ideas. The Bretonians are a fairly thematically coherent mix-up of Hundred Years War English and French, Arthurian myth filtered through Mallory, and more than a splash of Robin Hood. This is an entirely consistent thematic mix. Your ideas in specific (notably ethereal and regenerating, herds of unicorns, and doggo cav (which aren't needed when you have yeomen anyway)) go about as well with this mix as Baileys does with orange juice. It's random ridiculous high fantasy and high magic crap in a pretty grounded faction.

I mean fair enough if you don't like those ideas but some of the people orangelex44 is arguing with have said Bretonnia shouldn't even have Foot Squires, let alone new stuff like herrimaults

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If bretonnia isn't just one dude screaming for the lady then I don't wanna play it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
"The Lady" turned out to be an elf god who gave the founder of Brettonia (the green knight) and his knights magical steroids and equipment so they could unite the place as one country

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
But I don't want to play as bretonnia

CA don't make me play as bretonnia!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You know what's cooler than some french dorks on horses?

Sexy elves on stags. Stag knights baby

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also apparently Brettonia can have stag knights

Honestly Brettonia should be able to ride every rideable animal into battle

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean fair enough if you don't like those ideas but some of the people orangelex44 is arguing with have said Bretonnia shouldn't even have Foot Squires, let alone new stuff like herrimaults

Yes and I stand by that, the foot should be peasants and men-at-arms only. :colbert:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They shouldn't have footsoldiers honestly, only horses with no riders

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peasant mobs are not in the army book. Your options should be MaA bows, bows with wooden stakes, sword and shield, or spear and shield.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

something that orangelex44's roster count misses is how many of Bretonnia's units are just variants or variations

cutting out literal variants (archers (fire), archers (poison) etc) drops 24 units down to 18. if you get really strict and cut out units that are just "another unit, but anti-large" or "the same unit but better stats" then you're around 14 or so

from a mechanical perspective this is a really stupid criticism - there's a lot of difference between men-at-arms and men-at-arms (polearms)! - but if we're talking thematically, in terms of concept and aesthetics, then Bretonnia does have an egregiously stale roster

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

finally, the spearmanii have come to Total War: Warhammer

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zzulu posted:

Which is the actual TT experience, anyone who has ever played Bretonnia would tell you that the horses killed more enemies than the knights themselves due to rubber lance syndrome.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

orangelex44 posted:

I loving wonder why.

Dude just take a break lol, this kinda lame gotcha even when people are attempting to engage with your giant rambling contextually lacking datavomit is just sad. You're way too invested in this dumbass argument at this point and I wasn't shitposting earlier when I said it has no resolution.

Ps Noir is weird foot squires are fine.

Pps obligatory horse unit joke

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zzulu posted:

Shetland Ponies that actually like war hounds.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

stackofflapjacks posted:

The best way I learned the value of limitations was through poetry. I thought poetry was dumb, and boring. But I had a good teacher who took the time to explain that setting parameters and forcing yourself to limit your choice to a very small amount makes each word more important.

"See, what I’m going to do, right, is communicate via text, except in this special way that only certain people will get. I don’t want to just like… you know, type it out as if we were speaking, or tell you a story, or whatever because like… I just have this special like… mind-space, right, or mind-cloud, like ok picture a regular mind, and then picture one that’s slightly bigger and better, but kind of like tragic? Anyway, its good to type stupid poo poo like a f--. In short sentences. Recapitulating each unparsable moment. Waves crash on a crying Mexican woman. Corrito guandalte she cries to the sun. Mechanical bird."

- Wayne Gretzky

irl men-at-arms could be knights or nobles or retinue or mercenaries and also were often mounted. They also usually had good armor. Idk what that means for this discussion.

Can I get a full map adding all the missing vortex stuff into mortal empires?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Oh I meant to say something about this earlier but I went to sleep instead, SFO's idea of Herrimaults being bret units but having them in armies with Knights fucks the Knights up is actually kinda neat as an approach? But also I don't know why you would ever take Herrimaults in any army that was gonna do actual work in that case because the Knights do basically all the heavy lifting so it doesn't actually solve any sort of unit variance problem it just introduces a new unit that you don't use in conjunction with a bunch of older units and results in more mono-stacks.

This is another point in favor of my Extremely Correct Suggestion to make Herrimaults into their own faction, for those of you reading My Posts (may god have mercy on your souls)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mallobaude when

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

drat lotta Bret Knights just randomly getting vamped and proclaiming themselves dukes huh

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i think brettonia is boring and bad and don't want to play a cavalry focused roster. that's why i instead play one of the other several dozen other armies that are in the game. i'm glad you can play the army you want and i can play the army i want! but if what you want is Empire but with French accents, maybe you should install a VO mod or something.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh I meant to say something about this earlier but I went to sleep instead, SFO's idea of Herrimaults being bret units but having them in armies with Knights fucks the Knights up is actually kinda neat as an approach?

It'd be weird if they don't introduce something like this for the undivided Daemons in TW3, seeing as they all have rivalries going on.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Vagabong posted:

It'd be weird if they don't introduce something like this for the undivided Daemons in TW3, seeing as they all have rivalries going on.

Yeah it could absolutely work in a daemons army because there'd be ways to handle it without neutering your ability to handle certain fights, assuming CA does the full daemon roster.

That said I also expect Undivided to just work like any other army because Archaon whines them into cooperation or something

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I love my stupid Monty Python Frenchmen so I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and toss my 2 cents in this:

All I really want for Bretonnia (and all mounted units in general) is more intuitive charging mechanics. I've been playing this accursed game for years and I still have no real idea if my knights successfully rear-charged the AI's line of spears unless I mouse-over morale details.

Gimmie some visual and audio indicators when a unit is benefiting from charge bonuses. How about some speed trails when a unit builds up enough momentum, or TF2-style crit-sounds when an enemy takes a charge without bracing? Toss a shiny border on unit cards; just give me something.

And similar to the above, give the player some hints when they should pull their calvary out of the melee. "Hon-hon-hon, ze destitute masses have drawn ze enemy's attention like ze most fragrant cheese; we should bravely-disengage and strike zhese cowards' backsides while zhey are at zheir weakest!" or some other audio cues would work well enough.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

all I want is a realistic, down-to-earth medieval England/France cavalry-and-peasants faction that's completely off the wall and swarming with Arthurian knights and wizardesses

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
One more and I'm done, I promise - but this was too perfect:

orangelex44 posted:

What frustrates me (and, increasingly, just pisses me off) is that when I make an honest attempt to address all the individual points being made, people just go "lol gently caress off tryhard you're a moron" at worst, or "let me pull out this three-word sequence of a three-hundred word post and ignore everything else".

albany academy posted:

You're a pedant.

Heeere's number 1...

Psycho Landlord posted:

Dude just take a break lol, this kinda lame gotcha even when people are attempting to engage with your giant rambling contextually lacking datavomit is just sad. You're way too invested in this dumbass argument at this point and I wasn't shitposting earlier when I said it has no resolution.

Ps Noir is weird foot squires are fine.

Pps obligatory horse unit joke

...and here's number 2.

On a more productive note:

Lt. Danger posted:

something that orangelex44's roster count misses is how many of Bretonnia's units are just variants or variations

cutting out literal variants (archers (fire), archers (poison) etc) drops 24 units down to 18. if you get really strict and cut out units that are just "another unit, but anti-large" or "the same unit but better stats" then you're around 14 or so

from a mechanical perspective this is a really stupid criticism - there's a lot of difference between men-at-arms and men-at-arms (polearms)! - but if we're talking thematically, in terms of concept and aesthetics, then Bretonnia does have an egregiously stale roster

This applies to more than just Bretonnia, to be fair. I'd have to check to see which races are affected the most by it, but everyone has at least a couple variant-only units. I don't think that it would affect the relative values all that much, and all the races on the bottom still have plenty of space for new toys before they suddenly become overgeneralized. That's not just a Bretonnia thing either (and wasn't meant to be), it's no coincidence that four of the bottom seven races (Beastmen, Bret, Dawi, VC) are routinely mentioned as needing/wanting more attention, and that a fifth one (WElves) just got their first expansion DLC.

neonchameleon posted:

The Grail Reliquae should have some techs of its own or even be a hero unit. But Bretonnia's top end cavalry are great - with their premier shock cavalry, the game's premier brawl cavalry, and their premier shock flying cav all having the nice Perfect Vigor/Magical Weapon combo which makes a lot of difference on the battlefield.

Is there room for more? Yes. But the obvious missing cav element to me is a cheaper version of Grail Guardians - sword and board horsemen, thoroughly armoured, and able to brawl - without lances. Oh, and brigands. Possibly also an order of beast slayers that are both AP and Anti-Large and dedicated to taking down dragons and araknarok spiders. And might even be lightly armoured by Bretonnian standards because with their favoured foes it really doesn't matter anyway.

But they already stand out both on the campaign map and on the battlefield.

Fair enough. I can understand not agreeing with the specific suggestions, although I might argue a bit with the "pretty grounded faction" bit when Grail Knights are literal superhumans, they pray to trebuchet rocks in order for them not to crush allies, and they have people whose job it is to pretend to be a horse for a skeleton in armor. Bret war dogs actually existed on some of the older editions of the TT IIRC, that was why I tossed them in as a potential unit even though they don't necessarily add much utility. I fully agree with brigands being a neat potential addition. Lance-less versions of their elite cav would be nice as a FLC add, like CA did with Glade Rider (spears).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
A group of Knight Errants who just got way too far into half-heard Nippon culture and now they're Banchou Errants and their horses have motorcycle handlebars which really confuses actual people from Nippon cause they don't have motorcycles (YET).

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Heeere's number 1...

...and here's number 2.

Lol

orangelex44 posted:

On a more productive note:

Fair enough. I can understand not agreeing with the specific suggestions, although I might argue a bit with the "pretty grounded faction" bit when Grail Knights are literal superhumans, they pray to trebuchet rocks in order for them not to crush allies, and they have people whose job it is to pretend to be a horse for a skeleton in armor. Bret war dogs actually existed on some of the older editions of the TT IIRC, that was why I tossed them in as a potential unit even though they don't necessarily add much utility. I fully agree with brigands being a neat potential addition. Lance-less versions of their elite cav would be nice as a FLC add, like CA did with Glade Rider (spears).

1) Truffle hounds would be neat but yeah they'd just be fluff

2) Isn't the bolded literally just Grail Guardians? Or am I misreading you here?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, there's a lot of really weird Arthurian mythos stuff you could absolutely put in Brettonia with the right spin. It's literally Arthurian Mythos with French Accents. Heck, just knights on things other than Horses could lead to some fun times without being particularly immersion breaking.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Imagine how quickly this thread will degenerate if it's revealed that Cathay has both cavalry AND infantry. IMAGINE THE CHAOS. Tzeentch would approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Game 3 preview

https://youtu.be/PUlvJUutFtE