Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yardbomb posted:

The most frequent and not even very frequent are the getting pulled scenes, either needing to shoot the big glowy bulbs on necro tentacles or shooting like shutter release switches above them.

What you should really be scared of is that drat asteroid shooter section.

The classic 'nobody tested this with a controller'

It's okay if you're using keyboard & mouse at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had no problem with the asteroid bit on a dualshock 3 though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good for you

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Evil Kit posted:

Relatedly, I genuinely think Phasmophobia is the best actual horror game I've ever played. You can go about playing each round however you want with a large amount of freedom to accomplish the goals presented to you. The horror comes from both the atmosphere provided and the ghost itself, both the knowledge that the ghost is real and can kill you and the fact you can do literally nothing to stop it once it starts hunting. It's just a mad scramble to try and get the evidence you need while hopefully none of your team dies to the ghost's hunts. Add on that a kind of soft time limit of running out of sanity at which point the ghost will just chain hunts till your team is dead or you leave is kind of just a cherry on top.

I mean, in theory.

In practice, from the thread:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

running through a dark house with the spirit box in one hand and my boner in the other yelling "LET ME GARGLE YOUR BALLS"

Dungeon Ecology posted:

more like phasmophilia

Dear Prudence posted:

Step-ghost what are you doing?!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Forever shouting SUSAN WILLIAMS DO I MAKE YOU HORNY into the spirit box

Like, it's probably far scarier in solo. Any horror game with people rapidly turns into people shouting whatever they find funny. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's spiritual harrassment, pal.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Mr. Fortitude posted:

About to dig into the Dead Space trilogy. How frequent are instant death attacks on a scale of none to The Evil Within?

Just FYI the Plasma Cutter (your starting weapon) is actually pretty good when upgraded.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

dogstile posted:

I mean, in theory.

Like, it's probably far scarier in solo. Any horror game with people rapidly turns into people shouting whatever they find funny. :v:

I play with a group who one is always drunk and very loud who immediately starts insulting the ghost , and the other is insistent with asking who’s the ghost fees about the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre. It all gets pretty weird. Still enjoy it because they still get a good spookin when the ghost takes issue to being asked if it’s a dog or horny.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Just FYI the Plasma Cutter (your starting weapon) is actually pretty good when upgraded.

Also as a note, it does the RE4 thing where you get the most ammo for guns you are using or carrying. Although, as stated, the Plasma Cutter is kind of overpowered if fully upgraded. That said, most of the guns are pretty fun. I like the machine gun in particular.

Taking all the limbs off something is an instant kill for 90% of the enemies, which is what makes the plasma cutter so good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Pretty good" is honestly kind of a funny understatement. You can play through the entire game with nothing but the plasma cutter. In fact, in some ways it's actually easier. Dead Space 1 and 2 drop ammo types largely dependent on what weapons you are actually carrying, so carrying only one (especially one that keeps getting more powerful at four times the normal rate, since you invest all your node into just it) means you will basically never run out.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lifeglug posted:

I play with a group who one is always drunk and very loud who immediately starts insulting the ghost , and the other is insistent with asking who’s the ghost fees about the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre. It all gets pretty weird. Still enjoy it because they still get a good spookin when the ghost takes issue to being asked if it’s a dog or horny.

I think I play with the perfect group, my wife is scared of everything but pretends she's brave, so she often will get suddenly and loudly frightened by the ghost doing anything, one guy is also scared of everything, so when we're trying to get pictures of the ghost, he always tries to provoke the ghost while standing in the entrance to the location, and inevitably gets himself stuck inside in a hunt, completely by himself.

My third regular teammate is my brother-in-law, who is an extremely quiet individual in general, and manages to unintentionally scare the poo poo out of us about as often as the ghost does, just because we won't realize he's in the location and we'll see him moving out of the corner of the screen or whatever.

I think like a lot of multiplayer games, Phasmophobia is probably about as good as the group you bring to it. It seems like the sort of game that would be an absolute waste of time to play with pubbies.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

I think I play with the perfect group, my wife is scared of everything but pretends she's brave, so she often will get suddenly and loudly frightened by the ghost doing anything, one guy is also scared of everything, so when we're trying to get pictures of the ghost, he always tries to provoke the ghost while standing in the entrance to the location, and inevitably gets himself stuck inside in a hunt, completely by himself.

My third regular teammate is my brother-in-law, who is an extremely quiet individual in general, and manages to unintentionally scare the poo poo out of us about as often as the ghost does, just because we won't realize he's in the location and we'll see him moving out of the corner of the screen or whatever.

I think like a lot of multiplayer games, Phasmophobia is probably about as good as the group you bring to it. It seems like the sort of game that would be an absolute waste of time to play with pubbies.

I’ve luckily never had to play with pubbies and I’m sure I would have a very different opinion of the game if I had. It also holds up solo imho, and it’s definitely my favourite horror game in some time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I play with pubbies a lot, and sometimes you get lucky and find a really good group. I played with one group for about three hours straight the other night. One of the other players was new and terrified of everything, and it was amazing. But you usually have to spend a lot of time jumping into random rooms and quickly trying to figure out if the people in them are worth playing with. I feel like playing in VR helps with that, because terrible people usually start screaming something like, "YO HE'S IN VR LET COME CLAP MY rear end CHEEKS," as soon as your spawn in.

edit: The only time I've played with a friend recently was pretty great. He doesn't handle horror games well at all. For example, certain areas of Dark Souls were too scary for him. I thought he did pretty well for the most part, even though he was kind of high and kept forgetting pubbies didn't know my real name. He would say things to randos like, "Remember last name when Mike found the ghost in the attic?" and the pubbie would say, "I wasn't in your last game, and I don't know who Mike is..." He texted me the next morning saying Phasmophobia had given him nightmares all night. So overall a success.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 23, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Well, I'm hyped.

https://twitter.com/DreadXP_/status/1364281850886299649?s=19

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

I mean, in theory.

Even with me hitting level 300+ and always playing multiplayer poo poo still spooks me and the tension is still good, especially with all the recent beta branch changes that smoothed out the big bumps from bugs/glitches. Hunts now are genuinely terrifying regardless of ghost with how well they can track you down now if you aren't careful.

Basically just always play on beta branch.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

About to dig into the Dead Space trilogy. How frequent are instant death attacks on a scale of none to The Evil Within?

Pretty rare. Enjoy the ride. Greatest horror games ever, to me.

Just make sure you save often (especially before the turret defense section in the first game). If you're going for the only saving three times in Dead Space 2, try and wait until at least chapter 7 before you use your first save.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cardiovorax posted:

"Pretty good" is honestly kind of a funny understatement. You can play through the entire game with nothing but the plasma cutter. In fact, in some ways it's actually easier.

Beat DS1 on the hardest diff using only the plasma cutter for the One Gun achievement back in the day, it's extremely effective :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dead space to me was a great action series (well at least the first two, never bothered with the third) but terrible at horror

like a few people upthread said the most unnerving parts of SH3 were things you couldn't even engage with, like when you're standing in a dingy bathroom and it sounds like someone is menacingly bouncing a basketball on the floor nearby. dead space is the polar opposite. nothing is subtle. everything is hi-decibel shrieking in your face all the time. exhausting soundtrack

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On the one hand, you're definitely correct that it does some things really badly that Silent Hill does well. On the other hand, not effective horror? Hell no. There were a lot of sections especially in Dead Space one where is was on the edge of my seat with adrenaline up the eyebrows listening for every little sound because I knew a swarm of slashers was coming any moment screaming and flailing and ohgodimgonnadie and it was incredibly good at fostering that atmosphere when it was at its best.

Is it way more action than many other horror games? Without a question. That doesn't mean it's not also good horror, though. Not every horror game needs to be subtle to be good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah 1 was definitely scary horror, 2 turned into Aliens though but still had its moments. DS has a lot of body horror stuff too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah DS's enemy design did nothing for me for the same reason as the audio. when everything is a thrashing spasming pile of undifferentiated tissue i just see their weak points instead of anything to be scared of. basically goombas but busier

the one time the series actually got to me was due to an audio bug - an enemy in DS2' underground mines didn't spawn with their audio cues, so i turned around in utter silence after hearing a footstep and saw them ready to take a bite out of my head. almost fell out of my chair

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I really hate how DS3 turned out in different parts, because playing in co-op does make it better even if it was odd to do to a previously SP only game, plus there's a lot of quirky freaky poo poo you only get when you're co-op'ing with a buddy that also helps Carver's characterization a good deal, one person seeing and hearing different things from the other, whole extra bits of levels that come from that stuff, it actually worked well and got me and a buddy not like horror scared, but definitely weirded out in a good way more than once, that and the game played pretty well for being way more actiony than even before, cobbling weapons together was funny and I liked the sorta side spooky lost ship exploration bits as little sidetracks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The "birthday ship" in Dead Space 3 was honestly kind of amazing, because the first time you go through it, even you are sometimes not entirely sure if your co-op partner is not just bullshitting you, because you are going through the exact same level and you just see none of what they do.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

The "birthday ship" in Dead Space 3 was honestly kind of amazing, because the first time you go through it, even you are sometimes not entirely sure if your co-op partner is not just bullshitting you, because you are going through the exact same level and you just see none of what they do.

That's always one of the blind playthrough highlights for very good reason lol

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Dead Space gud.

Also playing Medium and only now, almost two hours in does something cool happen. Despite all the overall competence that appears to have gone into this game, I was honestly quite bored but now that this tall stompy guy is now predatoring around IRL I am much more interested

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinking about the upgrade bench scare from DS1

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

On Medium If I find out this stompy guy is scripted or limited to certain areas and not full Mr. X/Alien Isolationing around looking for me I will be disappointed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You will be disappointed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Danknificent posted:

On Medium If I find out this stompy guy is scripted or limited to certain areas and not full Mr. X/Alien Isolationing around looking for me I will be disappointed

it would actually be really funny to see bloober team attempt what's in that spoiler because it would be a complete disaster

they're one of those developers who stick to walking simulators due to their incompetence at anything more complex than "walk around, occasionally hit Interact button"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I swear there is gold waiting in a game that’s nothing but a Mr.X-alike menacing you

That same energy in VR would be killer, but I’d take an Alien Isolation where the Alien just powerwalks at you - maybe a Terminator game like that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Miasmata did something like that, didn't it? The entire thing is literally just walking around forest while the greenish longcat follows you around and tries to eat you.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

isnt that what scp containment breach is, just a series of mr. xes menacing you?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

isnt that what scp containment breach is, just a series of mr. xes menacing you?

Sorta, Containment Breach has it's share of bloat though, both good and bad additions and like after long enough in later, denser releases I found myself console deleting stuff like 173 (The famous fat head statue that strangles you/snaps your neck if it's out of your sight) who were just being way more annoying than tense and actively working to keep me from seeing more content because I open a door and woops, there's peanut, time to backtrack and get him lost somewhere and oh, peanut dropped out of a vent or some poo poo I guess and rerouted me yet again, felt like I was never gonna be able to just go and see some more spooky things with him more than anything else constantly haranguing me.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Black August posted:

I swear there is gold waiting in a game that’s nothing but a Mr.X-alike menacing you

That same energy in VR would be killer, but I’d take an Alien Isolation where the Alien just powerwalks at you - maybe a Terminator game like that?

I'm not the first to suggest it, but a game somehow doing It Follows (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) would be some of the most godlike stuff imaginable.

We'll get it someday, that rainbow connection really good bad thing stalking/following you game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure I'd say SCP containment breach works all that well as horror. It's general creepypasta meme multiplayer stuff more than anything. Sure, there are monsters, but they could be anything and it wouldn't work any differently for it. It's too randomized and low-fi to really work as "scary" in that sense, I think.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's general creepypasta meme multiplayer stuff more than anything.

The multiplayer one is "SCP Secret Lab", Containment Breach is the singleplayer experience one that's been around for ages getting stuff periodically added to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, sorry then. I thought there was only one of these. Might have to check out the other, then.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Danknificent posted:

I'm not the first to suggest it, but a game somehow doing It Follows (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) would be some of the most godlike stuff imaginable.

We'll get it someday, that rainbow connection really good bad thing stalking/following you game.

Yeah, I was thinking that movie exactly. Imagine a GTA game where you have to go about sets of routines, but once in a while an implacable killer starts walk-hunting you until escaped or incapacitated.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah GTA but with It from It Follows stalking you (minus the sexually transmitted thing) is a great idea.

It can look like any NPC, can't be killed, and will gently caress you up if It gets close enough to strike but can't run. So you're just playing through missions or loving around knowing that It's always getting closer and once it does you're in deep poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The key to that would be a) crowds of NPCs that exist in the world b) the thing always looks like some random NPC c) it never teleports

I'm also imagining something like a hitman-style level with lots of people all over the place...trying to complete an objective and you look over your shoulder and wonder if that NPC is moving towards you with perhaps a little too much intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, exactly. It reminds me of the GTA 'Survive The Hunt' play, where you need to blend in as if you're one of the NPC AIs while driving to avoid detection by hunters who are other players. Just a game that makes you violently paranoid about large NPC crowds and your position in them would work so good on its own though.