Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I saw the clip from an interview where they played a video of a lady saying she wanted to shoot Britney in the head then asked her if she still felt she was a good role model. There's no way she wasn't deeply traumatized by what they did to her. It's so depressing.
Then you have the paparazzi who's completely oblivious to the fact that he contributed to her trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dodgeball did not age well:
Every woman who are good at sport is either really masculine or at the very least bisexual. Also, queer women always plays softball, which is a wierd stereotype.
The infamous Lance Armstrong speech.
"Bodyshaming is bad, now let's laugh at the fat villain."

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Even ESPN being popular enough to have an eight channel. Or as we like to call it, "The Ocho."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Alhazred posted:

Then you have the paparazzi who's completely oblivious to the fact that he contributed to her trauma.

They know, they just don't care.
Destroying peoples lives is a feature, not a bug.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Origin posted:

Even ESPN being popular enough to have an eight channel. Or as we like to call it, "The Ocho."

That said, credit to ESPN for actually implementing ESPN 8, which I've heard nothing but good things about. Once a year they do rebrand as The Ocho for 24 hours, where they just show recordings of niche or overseas sports. When the lockdown started I believe they made it a semi-permanent block, because gently caress, ain't no NFL or NBA to watch; why not show caber tossing and wood chopping?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, for a few years they did it every August 8th and turn ESPN 2 into the Ocho for the day. When all the sports first shut down near the end of last March, they did it on a Sunday (Which happened to be my first day working from home due to COVID), but then the downside is when they redid it a few times over the spring and summer summer, it was literally the same block with the same shows in order, stuff like a 1999 arm wrestling championship, European tram olympics from 2006, marble racing, cherry pit spitting, and so on.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Method acting claims another victim.

This just reminded me that Marilyn Manson played a Nazi rapist on Sons of Anarchy. Not that the show raged well in general, but ooof.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

normal-rear end vampire posted:

This just reminded me that Marilyn Manson played a Nazi rapist on Sons of Anarchy. Not that the show raged well in general, but ooof.

Wow, I thought he just played the Nazi rapist in The Wonder Years.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Every woman who are good at sport is either really masculine or at the very least bisexual. Also, queer women always plays softball, which is a wierd stereotype.

It just amazes me the sheer volume of humor in the past that was mined from the idea of a woman being too masculine or even from other characters not being sure if she’s “really” a woman. Amazed because there’s been such a sudden change over the past decade where that kind of joke isn’t considered okay anymore. (Not that it ever was, just that very few people batted an eye at it before)

Home Improvement, probably the biggest ‘family’ sitcom of the 90s, constantly featured Tim cracking jokes about Al’s (never seen) mother, about how ugly and masculine she supposedly was, about how she’s really a man, etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

letthereberock posted:

It just amazes me the sheer volume of humor in the past that was mined from the idea of a woman being too masculine or even from other characters not being sure if she’s “really” a woman. Amazed because there’s been such a sudden change over the past decade where that kind of joke isn’t considered okay anymore. (Not that it ever was, just that very few people batted an eye at it before)

Home Improvement, probably the biggest ‘family’ sitcom of the 90s, constantly featured Tim cracking jokes about Al’s (never seen) mother, about how ugly and masculine she supposedly was, about how she’s really a man, etc.

The Mr B Natural short from MST3K is almost unwatchable now because of all the 'that male character looks female!!' jokes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alhazred posted:

I remember seeing a paparazzo commenting on something extremely heinous, like maybe the time a british tabloid hacked a murdered teenagers phone to get insider info, and what struck me was that he assumed the people he was talking to had exactly the same extremely hosed up ethical values as he did. The impression I got was that he usually only interacted with people in his own field, so had just completely lost touch with what basic, decent human behaviour actually was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HopperUK posted:

The Mr B Natural short from MST3K is almost unwatchable now because of all the 'that male character looks female!!' jokes.

It's a rare confluence of transphobia, homophobia, and misogyny, depending on the specific scene. All the jokes about an adult being in a kid's bedroom shoving him around and throwing him onto his bed haven't aged especially well either.

In context it all points out the strange confluence of anxieties and assumptions above question that the 50s baked into their understanding of gender roles, but it teaches us a lot about the ugliness of generation x irony as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Rifftrax team at least went through their catalogue to find jokes that didn't age well and replaced them with better jokes not too long ago.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Alhazred posted:

At least Stiller lampshades that with his end speech about how it's easy to make fun of him now that he's fat. And I guess the whole thing's supposed to be ironic because he's being mocked in the same way he mocked other people before.

What's more gross is how they treat the overweight cheerleader at the beginning. Bodyshaming is bad as long as it's aimed at guys, but it's funny when it's directed at women. Come to our gym where we don't judge you OH LOOK a fat woman working out!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Picnic Princess posted:

I saw the clip from an interview where they played a video of a lady saying she wanted to shoot Britney in the head then asked her if she still felt she was a good role model. There's no way she wasn't deeply traumatized by what they did to her. It's so depressing.

In retrospect Chris Crocker was right.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

At least Stiller lampshades that with his end speech about how it's easy to make fun of him now that he's fat. And I guess the whole thing's supposed to be ironic because he's being mocked in the same way he mocked other people before.

Is it okay to mock Lowtax for undergoing an identical transformation post-sale? Last I heard he was livestreaming himself eating mayo out of the jar with his fingers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Asterite34 posted:

Is it okay to mock Lowtax for undergoing an identical transformation post-sale? Last I heard he was livestreaming himself eating mayo out of the jar with his fingers

:lmao: That wouldn't surprise me, how many transphobic slurs was he spewing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was he ever not a pathetic failure, though? I would say no.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao: That wouldn't surprise me, how many transphobic slurs was he spewing?

No idea, I'm not one of the less than a thousand people who still watch Gaming Garbage

Kirk Vikernes posted:

During his last Gaming Garbage he explained how the drop in Patreon money was really hurting him financially and had resorted to eat whatever he had on hand. Then, at one point he started eating mayo straight from the jar. He's picked up a lot of weight presumably from eating his remaining Goldbelly stash. He put himself in the situation, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't think that we should talk about lowtax any more or be curious about him, but I 100% thought he would just keep going as a resentful lump, keeping going at whatever new low he reached and blaming others. I am impressed with the speed of his apparent self-destruction.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't think that's real, tbh. Out of curiosity I checked his most recent video on YouTube and it doesn't look like he's put on a significant amount of weight. Now if you'll excuse me I'll be self-reporting this post for giving his channel a view.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah to me that looks like someone faceswapped him onto some other dude

edit: yeah reverse image search says that was originally a gif of boogie

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flatluigi posted:

yeah to me that looks like someone faceswapped him onto some other dude

edit: yeah reverse image search says that was originally a gif of boogie

drat, I wish I'd thought to try that first.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

letthereberock posted:

There's an episode of Spaced which contains one of my favorite jokes in the entire series ("It's not finished......it's finished") but which is also surrounded by a whole bunch of really disturbing transphobic stuff, too.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Rifftrax team at least went through their catalogue to find jokes that didn't age well and replaced them with better jokes not too long ago.

One of the writers on the serial fiction podcast Our Fair City went back and rewrote a script to one of his earlier episodes that he was no longer comfortable with. They didn't have the resources to actually re-record the episode but it was still a nice gesture, I thought.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

letthereberock posted:

you're right, the generous assumption is that humour like that was always considered edgy, low brow and off-colour, and imho it's less like we're only recently recognizing that fact altogether and more like in recent years we've taken a hard stance about limiting those sorts of jokes in order to reduce the consequences humour like that can have on the audience, meaning it's the consequences on other people we recognize better

it wasn't that long ago that the simpsons was considered the height of controversial tv after all...tim from home improvement was certainly meant to be depicted as a goofball sometimes, who'd often be grunting his way into unfortunate situations due to an incessant need to prove his masculinity, and it'd make sense that a person like that would also be cracking juvenile, immature jokes

nonetheless, there's at least two issues: tim making misogynist jokes at all can be a problem for the audience (especially when it's not just home improvement making them and audiences can't escape that humour at all because culture, in general, is producing a lot of misogynist jokes on tv) and that tim, being a protagonist who loves his family, who can eventually learn from neighbourly advice that overdone masculinity isn't necessary and that looking at the world in that way isn't healthy, who's also written as fairly likeable otherwise, can send mixed messages about the intended appropriateness of that humour... like, there's a difference between depicting something as an immature boys-will-be-boys nuisance to be ironed out and depicting something as a deeper flaw

either way you can't be that generous all the time tho, there's definitely shows out there that didn't have any self-awareness at all

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Has South Park ever responded to the infamous dolphin episode? I was in high school and seriously questioning my gender identity when I saw that and it hosed me up hard. The line "I'm not really a woman, just a man with a mutilated penis" stuck with me as a warning to never actually take steps to transition for years afterwards.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think they may have actually doubled down in a later episode?

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

hard counter posted:

i'll agree that there is actually a very good separate discussion about what constitutes appropriate rear end in a top hat humour on public tv and to what extent tv is responsible for the misconceptions of its viewers; if, say, a program like married with children for example, which tried to bend over backwards to present al bundy as somebody you do not want to emulate ever, is still accountable for all the monkey-brained viewers who didn't get it and still saw him as some kind of working class hero

It's something I wrestle with as I see myself becoming more judgmental and policing of my society in a way I never was earlier in life. I think casual protest of bad media is morally appropriate in a "the standard you walk past is the standard you accept" sense but directly conflicts with "live and let live", which is often also morally appropriate. I don't want to be a scold, I don't like scolds, society doesn't need scolds, it needs positive role models. It's just there are so very few. And even those we still have, I hesitate to look at them too closely.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Isn't that male character actually played by a woman, though? Like Peter Pan?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rydiafan posted:

Played by one Betty Luster, yes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rydiafan posted:

yeah the short is supposed to be evocative of peter pan but that's not really what the riffs go for

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I think they may have actually doubled down in a later episode?

They went in two pretty much opposite directions in the last few seasons, having one episode where they depicted people who won't let trans people use their bathroom of their choice as uncaring bigots and then a couple seasons later having an episode where a Macho Man Randy Savage-like transwoman is trying to compete in women's sports entirely to get back at her ex-wife.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mike Nelson's still appearing on Gaming Garbage, so let's not give him too much credit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They went in two pretty much opposite directions in the last few seasons, having one episode where they depicted people who won't let trans people use their bathroom of their choice as uncaring bigots and then a couple seasons later having an episode where a Macho Man Randy Savage-like transwoman is trying to compete in women's sports entirely to get back at her ex-wife.

I'm pretty sure South Park just goes with whatever take they think will piss people off the most at the time of writing.

If "Trans people are valid and shouldn't be treated like a circus attraction" gets the most rage, that'll be the moral of the episode. If they think they'll get bites the other way, then it'll be an episode where everyone in town decides to identify as an attack helicopter and they'll talk about how there need to be a line drawn.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Mike Nelson's still appearing on Gaming Garbage, so let's not give him too much credit.

He’s not. They took down the Troll 2 rifftrax and scrubbed all mention of him from their website. I don’t think Mike has said anything about him, but they’re probably not friends.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lowtax uploaded a video with Nelson as recently as two weeks ago, but I've no way of knowing when they were recorded. I mean, I guess I could watch them, but... nah.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
A couple of the few japanese movie eps from season 2 and 3 of MST3K have some typical "asian people gibberish" which sucks

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Welp. I didn't watch Gaming Garbage even when I was still subscribed on YouTube.

I watched a Rifftrax Live on Plutotv a while back and at the end they called Lowtax out on the stage. I had no idea what the reason behind that. Had no idea they were even friends. That's unfortunate.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Alhazred posted:

It doesn't even come across as oblivious so much as victim blaming and justification. Very troubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Detective No. 27 posted:

Welp. I didn't watch Gaming Garbage even when I was still subscribed on YouTube.

I watched a Rifftrax Live on Plutotv a while back and at the end they called Lowtax out on the stage. I had no idea what the reason behind that. Had no idea they were even friends. That's unfortunate.

I think his daughter voiced one of the shorts? It was before the live Manos special, iirc.

That one special was a dumpster fire of drama in general. A crazy fan claimed he had the rights to the movie a week beforehand, and threatened to sue if they didn't give him a cameo and promote his fan-made sequel and a bunch of other weird things. I think they ended up editing out his parts when they released it online.