Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this is genuinely no different than it has been for the past two decades at least

i've been told a couple of times the design philosophy of websphere was "make bad apps run good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I guess I can see how k8s would be unwelcome if your job is setting up and decommissioning servers

scaling is mostly about not caring about how bloated and slow your code is. it is for when you need to throw more hardware at simple problems so often that this process is worth automating

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

back in my drupal days customers would scale out their web or DB tiers astronomically and be clenching hard when poo poo kept slowing down and not coping with traffic spikes

very often, you could spend less than half an hour checking logs and figure out that some checkbox or config at app level could be changed (like, turning on caching) and poo poo would come right and would use like 1/8th of their scaled up capacity

in some senses having the apps deployed on the butt was good because poo poo kept working, but it was all band aids on band aids. you are an infra person its easier to just throw more capacity at it than yell at developers in a domain you don't know much about

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

poo poo, devops means its the devs slapping on the band aids instead. one of our teams fairly recently had to actually look one of their services when they made the pod too big to schedule. that service's entire responsibility was querying mysql and putting the results in elasticsearch. our standard worker nodes have 64 gigs of ram

k8s can be a good force multiplier but it can't replace knowing wtf you're doing

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
There's a reason why real good SREs can command eyewatering salaries at a FAANMG. There's very little cross-domain talent out there.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
nomad requires you to reinvent a bunch of included kubernetes use cases, if you want beyond the most basic use case.

on the flip side kubernetes is becoming super bloated.

everything sucks. in the end I’d say K8s > nomad, because you don’t need to write inner source, or deal with some companies half rear end open source replacement for key features.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
nomad has me writing a bunch of go templating which sucks rear end

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

freeasinbeer posted:

deal with some companies half rear end open source replacement for key features.

But that's 100% the kubernetes experience ?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

k8s exists due to google cargo culting and associated marketing, FOMO, and need for new HR screening check boxes

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

if your application makes money by attaching itself to the internet firehose, kubernetes is worth running, especially if you make money off of serving internet ads or if you have any other kind of 2-phase revenue generating process that runs into fun scaling problems like "this floor of the data center is full".

in those situations being able to quickly rebalance various internal processes based on metrics like "ads we bought but haven't redistributed updated budget information for" and poo poo like that is arguably worth the complexity.

using kubernetes to host web applications or random tools crap though is absolutely just google cargo culting, resume driven infrastructure, etc.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

k8s exists due to google cargo culting and associated marketing, FOMO, and need for new HR screening check boxes

all these big data and cloud native scaling stacks are just recreating tech google made 20 years ago

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

its extra funny that approx 100% of the big data workflows that exist outside of google are some wrapper around "just put it all in s3". if you told me google just used s3 also i would absolutely believe it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well the alternative is using gcs *shudder*

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

12 rats tied together posted:

its extra funny that approx 100% of the big data workflows that exist outside of google are some wrapper around "just put it all in s3". if you told me google just used s3 also i would absolutely believe it

s3 is good though

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

k8s is good in theory because it turns a bunch of hard operations and provisioning problems into just some declarative files.

it's bad in practice because every abstraction layer is software and software is poo poo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jre posted:

s3 is good though

s3 is "good" for a specific subset of data storage problems. So of course developers try to use it like a global cache.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

jre posted:

s3 is good though
yes.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

s3 is "good" for a specific subset of data storage problems. So of course developers try to use it like a global cache.
i would honestly rather see people overcommit to s3 as a global cache than have to deal with people cramming hundreds of thousands of lines of business logic into microsoft sql server stored procedures

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

yes.

i would honestly rather see people overcommit to s3 as a global cache than have to deal with people cramming hundreds of thousands of lines of business logic into microsoft sql server stored procedures

stored procedures are the worst.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

s3 has a sql interface

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

s3 has a sql interface

:stonk:

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

it's good, actually. it operates on a single object at a time and it requires that the object is in a particular format, parquet is 100% one of the formats but i don't remember any of the other ones.

for a lot of use cases the interface is a massive perf and cost boost because you don't need to maintain pools of compute (EMR, lmao) that are equipped to download, unzip, and decode whatever bullshit you're writing

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s called athena op

there’s also s3 select which is a babby version

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i think redshift has some "just run against these s3 buckets" stuff these days too which is nice since those clusters can be pretty expensive as they size up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it shouldn’t be that horrifying, s3 isn’t ebs

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

love to wake up to a wall of red alarms that might have been prevented if the hardware we ordered from juniper last year wasn't delayed due to the global chip shortage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

it shouldn’t be that horrifying, s3 isn’t ebs

i just get irrationally scared at the thought of s3 being thrown at literally everything

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i just get irrationally scared at the thought of s3 being thrown at literally everything

the reason it exists is to drive a subset of data transformation directly into the s3 servers, if done well dramatically reducing how much data you have to load into your EMR cluster. It's not meant to be a s3 as a database

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think redshift has some "just run against these s3 buckets" stuff these days too which is nice since those clusters can be pretty expensive as they size up

it’s called redshift spectrum op, so you can run queries seamlessly across data sets with hotter storage in redshift and colder stuff in s3

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

thank you, that sounds like a good feature. my experience is that on-staff "data warehouse" people are some of the worst engineers to work with so i'm 100% always the guy saying to put stuff in redshift instead of running vertica on ec2 in addition to our 800k monthly EMR spend for some reason

i had a data warehousing team request like 90 something ec2 vertica nodes on i3 class instances, which they wanted us to configure some awful software raid poo poo on, we delivered the servers and the first thing they did was shut over half of them off "to save money", which wiped the instance store volumes and associated configs

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

my homie dhall posted:

the raison d'etre for kubernetes is ostensibly getting economies of scale for your ops and release teams. if you're trying to solve those two specific problems, then it's not bad. if you don't have either of those problems I don't know why you would use it
It also abstracts away the underlying $cloud (also for the benefit of ops of release teams). It's not uncommon to use (say) AWS for public-facing workloads and some internal vSphere or RHV setup for more secure workloads. Having the same k8s interface for both is nice for the release/ops teams.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

agree except imho "good" ops and release teams were already building those abstractions (they are not very complicated). having done SRE tech interviews for a while though i will readily admit that "good" ops and release teams might as well not exist and the field overall is home to some of the most deranged engineering i've ever seen

like, if your choices are "a server that runs chef-solo and updates aws autoscaling group desired counters on every convergence" and "kubernetes", definitely run kubernetes.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 24, 2021

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i had a data warehousing team request like 90 something ec2 vertica nodes on i3 class instances, which they wanted us to configure some awful software raid poo poo on, we delivered the servers and the first thing they did was shut over half of them off "to save money", which wiped the instance store volumes and associated configs

lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lomarf

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

my homie dhall posted:

the raison d'etre for kubernetes is ostensibly getting economies of scale for your ops and release teams. if you're trying to solve those two specific problems, then it's not bad. if you don't have either of those problems I don't know why you would use it

whicvh is also why you should be suspicious of devs who are pushing it, the kubernetes is not *for* them.

wrong, the raison d'etre is inspiring spicy takes on the name pronunciation

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it's called redshift because you're supposed to run away from it as fast as possible

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

agree except imho "good" ops and release teams were already building those abstractions (they are not very complicated).

lomarf

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's called redshift because you're supposed to run away from it as fast as possible

it’s called redshift cos it’s supposed to move people off of oracle for OLAP

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

its called redshift because you put the servers far away in amazon's cloud and then because they are farther away you think about them less often

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
you cant spell "the natural order is chaos" without "NAT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05

Nomnom Cookie posted:

we’re using the kustomize provider with terraform. the kubernetes provider is kinda lovely, and helm is lovely so I can’t see how adding terraform to helm would help anything. we did fork the kustomize provider to allow creating an overlay in terraform code rather than needing one on the filesystem—I think that’s the missing piece to make terraform with k8s not suck. if that sounds interesting, DM me and I’ll link you to the repo. we do occasionally use the k8s provider, but only for cases that kustomize can’t handle. creating resource names dynamically, for instance

I say the kubernetes provider is kinda lovely for mainly two reasons. first, fields that you don’t fill in on a resource don’t get the k8s default, they get zeroed. that means naively translating manifests from helm or kustomize to the k8s provider won’t work—stuff may apply, but it won’t do what you expect, or what it does for everyone else. second, you have to translate every manifest you find from yaml to .tf, which adds significant drag

It was a switch from kustomize + kapp (an actually good deployment/diff tool) to directly using the kubernetes provider.

Looks like the idea is dead now after they figured out we can't replace all the kustomize we use (for setting up namespaces/rbac/clusterwide resources on clusters) with terraform in one week like they originally planned.